RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Sue Bird: Ready to let you in.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
stever

PostPosted: 07/20/17 10:25 am    ::: Sue Bird: Ready to let you in. Reply Reply with quote

http://www.espn.com/espnw/feature/20088416/wnba-all-star-sue-bird-ready-let-in

Quote:
Indeed, now Bird is more fully voicing her heart, her experience, her views, her truth. The Long Island girl has grown into a woman who has traveled the globe, and has had her consciousness raised.

stever

PostPosted: 07/20/17 10:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

also:
Quote:
She also has a knack for hitting clutch shots -- the daggers -- which gained her the nickname Sue "Die, b----es!" Bird, or "DB" for short, from admiring fans on internet message boards.
Laughing

cthskzfn

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 07/20/17 10:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I like that the chump Susan King is responsible for Sue's renaissance. Fitting retribution for Fraud fans. Very Happy

PostPosted: 07/20/17 11:02 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

stever wrote:
also:
Quote:
She also has a knack for hitting clutch shots -- the daggers -- which gained her the nickname Sue "Die, b----es!" Bird, or "DB" for short, from admiring fans on internet message boards.
Laughing

I thought that what gained her that nickname was her tendency to yell "Die bitches" after hitting those shots.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 07/20/17 11:06 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Wow , Sue really spoke out finally.

PostPosted: 07/20/17 11:53 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

merlina wrote:
stever wrote:
also:
Quote:
Laughing

I thought that what gained her that nickname was her tendency to yell "Die bitches" after hitting those shots.

Nope. Laughing

She got that nickname because I was so annoyed at her constantly hitting huge shots against the Mercury. It was actually more of a rant phrase. Laughing

PostPosted: 07/20/17 12:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Great article by Mechelle Voepel. Bird is correct, of course, that homophobia, racism, and sexism all hurt the WNBA.

PostPosted: 07/20/17 12:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
She is a revered teammate, the center of every huddle, a fan favorite from coast to coast; the ponytailed point guard always has looked the part of the girl next door as much as the face of a franchise. Yeah, everybody loves Bird.

My team no longer exists, so I'll have to settle for hating yours.
craigmont

PostPosted: 07/20/17 12:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

merlina wrote:
stever wrote:
also:
Quote:
Laughing

That originated on this board. Sue would never use that phrasing (in public, anyway Smile )

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 07/20/17 12:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bob Lamm wrote:
Great article by Mechelle Voepel. Bird is correct, of course, that homophobia, racism, and sexism all hurt the WNBA.

+1 thats why im so proud that this league has withstood 21 years of this and counting #GOWNBA

PostPosted: 07/20/17 12:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
Bob Lamm wrote:

+1 thats why im so proud that this league has withstood 21 years of this and counting #GOWNBA

Yes indeed.

PostPosted: 07/20/17 5:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think highly of Sue Bird. I don't know her at all, but she seems like a quality person and she's obviously a great player. And like everyone, she has every right to choose when and where to open up to the public.

I have to say, though, that I'm somewhat disappointed that it took this long for her to come out. Not majorly disappointed, not saying she's a bad person, not trying to shame anyone ... just commenting that someone like her coming out might have made a difference to other young women and girls, and might have advanced the cause a bit.

Again, it's her choice and her decision, and it didn't feel right to her. It's her life, not mine ... but I still feel a little disappointed, if that's OK to say.

PostPosted: 07/20/17 9:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
I think highly of Sue Bird. I don't know her at all, but she seems like a quality person and she's obviously a great player. And like everyone, she has every right to choose when and where to open up to the public.

I have to say, though, that I'm somewhat disappointed that it took this long for her to come out. Not majorly disappointed, not saying she's a bad person, not trying to shame anyone ... just commenting that someone like her coming out might have made a difference to other young women and girls, and might have advanced the cause a bit.

Again, it's her choice and her decision, and it didn't feel right to her. It's her life, not mine ... but I still feel a little disappointed, if that's OK to say.

Yeah. She's one of those players who are highly respected in her field (a la Dawn Staley) by other legends. I know Swoopes, Coop, Tina, Lisa and of course Lauren love and respect her to the end of eternity.

In a lot of ways, she's been the face of the WNBA since her debut.

With that said, Sue has already been a major influence and inspiration to generations of females. It's not her job to be open about her personal life because of what it may do for others. Her life matters just as much as the other young women and girls who would've been impacted by her coming out years ago.

All the best to her.

PostPosted: 07/20/17 9:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Genero36 wrote:

With that said, Sue has already been a major influence and inspiration to generations of females. It's not her job to be open about her personal life because of what it may do for others. Her life matters just as much as the other young women and girls who would've been impacted by her coming out years ago.

All the best to her.

I agree completely. I guess I always look at it this way: if someone comes out and by doing so can help pave the way for others, that is a good--even great--thing. But not coming out publically is not a bad thing. Private people should have no obligation or pressure to share more about their lives than they are comfortable with. A person is accountable to only their own self in these things, and should be true to who they are.

Coming out and sharing her life with the world wasn't right for Sue. And there is nothing wrong with that.

PostPosted: 07/21/17 8:08 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Crazy how times have changed. When Swoopes decided this she was ripped apart disbanded and left in silence. Now ................ Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: 07/21/17 10:21 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
Crazy how times have changed. When Swoopes decided this she was ripped apart disbanded and left in silence. Now ................ Rolling Eyes

Leaders (Swoopes) usually takes the heat, so it can be okay for those that follow. Sheryl did her job.

There are things I'm able to do today without reprisal, thanks to Malcolm X and MLK Jr., who were assassinated for it.

PostPosted: 07/21/17 10:38 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:

I think the fact that Swoopes was with an assistant coach, and did so while married, may also be factors there.

I don't think I was expecting Bird to open up like this until she had formally announced her retirement. It's nifty.

PostPosted: 07/21/17 10:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:

There are several layers to that. First, of course, is the same reason Bird is described as the "girl next door" when Swoopes would never be described that way. Most sports writers wouldn't live anyplace where the neighbors looked like Swoopes.

Second, Swoopes was never fully embraced by the LGBT community because she kept saying her sexual preference was a matter of choice instead of being inborn. Not to mention the veiled homophobia she demonstrated when she backed out of attending Texas.

Third, Swoopes was in a relationship with one of her coaches. Many people consider that an unpardonable offense (though in most cases it's the coach who gets the brunt of the criticism).

Fourth, Swoopes used her coming out as a big media event/marketing opportunity. She pissed off people on both sides by trying to monetize her status.

Fifth, as Genero said times change. Lots of players are out, so many that it barely even registers anymore.

PostPosted: 07/21/17 11:15 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Excuses and more excuses both have the same platform one just did it before anyone else to where it seems to be the norm now for everyone to do it so its no big deal Arrow

PostPosted: 07/21/17 11:17 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
Excuses and more excuses both have the same platform one just did it before anyone else to where it seems to be the norm now for everyone to do it so its no big deal Arrow

It's not right or fair, it's just the way it is

PostPosted: 07/21/17 12:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:

It's not right or fair, it's just the way it is

"It’s easy to confuse 'what is' with 'what ought to be', especially when ‘what is’ has worked out in your favor.”

-Tyrion Lannister

(Doesn't really apply here, I just really wanted to quote Tyrion Lannister Twisted Evil)

PostPosted: 07/21/17 12:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think it's a "big deal" any time anyone comes out. And, in certain ways, an even bigger deal when it is someone very much in the public eye.

Decades ago, when there was much less support for LGBT rights, survey data showed something very clearly. People who knew someone who was gay were far more likely to support gay rights than people who believed (wrongly in many cases) that they didn't know anyone who was gay. So anytime anyone comes out it affects everyone in that person's world. And some of those people, previously hostile to LGBT rights, rethink their views.

Surely there are many people on this board who for years have known or suspected that Sue Bird was gay. But now the world knows, including many who've admired Bird but didn't know. I view that as a big deal.

Last edited by Bob Lamm on 07/21/17 1:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
WNBA 09

PostPosted: 07/21/17 1:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bob Lamm wrote:
I think it's a "big deal" any time anyone comes out. And, in certain ways, an even bigger deal when it is someone very much in the public eye.

Decades ago, when there was much less support for LGBT rights, survey data showed something very clearly. People who knew someone who was gay were far more likely to support gay rights then people who believed (wrongly in many cases) that they didn't know anyone who was gay. So anytime anyone comes out it affects everyone in that person's world. And some of those people, previously hostile to LGBT rights, rethink their views.

Surely there are many people on this board who for years have known or suspected that Sue Bird was gay. But now the world knows, including many who've admired Bird but didn't know. I view that as a big deal.

Agree with everything said here , ive known for a while also but until she confirmed it was just a hunch or yet pretty obvious . Support for the LGBT community was very very different at that time so i do understand what you mean , still sucks SS22 had to go through that experience and watch these players today make the same moves and have it shoved away side since its normal and expected with this league now i guess. No more losing endorsements ect...

PostPosted: 07/21/17 1:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:

I get what you mean, I think it's natural to feel that way in areas that struggled with representation for so long. I'm glad she's at the point where she feels comfortable now.

Just curious, and not judging your opinion so I don't want it to come off that way, did you feel the same disappointment with Taurasi for not coming out sooner than she did?

jmvcity

PostPosted: 07/21/17 2:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Unfortunately, this news is (and will be) getting more coverage than the upcoming All-Star festivities.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: