RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Questions for Queenie and other moderators

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 07/19/17 10:43 pm    ::: Questions for Queenie and other moderators Reply Reply with quote

I have two questions about the policies of the moderators. I would appreciate a response from Queenie and/or other moderators. I will keep my question general and hypothetical rather than making reference to anything that has happened in the distant or immediate past.

Suppose hypothetically that Person X on this board makes a comment about a named WNBA player that Person Y finds not only offensive but a reflection of an ugly aspect of our culture that targets WNBA players, WNBA fans, and people who don't care about the WNBA. In what ways, if any, is it acceptable for Person Y to comment on this? If you believe that Person Y shouldn't comment right in the same discussion where the original comment was made, then what, if anything, is Person Y allowed to do?

Many thanks for responses.

Last edited by Bob Lamm on 07/20/17 2:40 am; edited 2 times in total
SDHoops

PostPosted: 07/19/17 10:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I once questioned the effort of a player in the league once and a mod, who was/is a homer of that team banned me with no explanation and low and behold years later is no longer a mod. and got banned for a while themselves. In any case, questioning the establishment..well that's crazy talk Bob! People disappear for such questions Shocked I saw the thread I think you're referring to and you're good cuz lol

myrtle

PostPosted: 07/19/17 11:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Not a mod/wouldn't want to be a mod, but IMO the thing to do is state your case and then walk away. Where it becomes a problem really is when it becomes a personal insult about/to another poster on the board. Everybody has a different idea about what is/isn't acceptable. You can respectfully disagree with someone or you can make it into a personal attack. There's a fairly obvious difference IMO. And you can make your point once or you can chew on it for days...the latter becomes tiresome - especially if it is essentially hi-jacking a thread on a different topic.

- Amanda Gorman
sigur3

PostPosted: 07/20/17 12:01 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I would love to be a moderator. Shit would get DONE. Queenie promote me plz.

Last edited by sigur3 on 07/20/17 12:06 am; edited 1 time in total
Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 07/20/17 12:01 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I should have made it clear that I welcome comments from anyone and everyone about the questions I raised above. That includes the comments already posted. But I especially hope that moderators will comment--perhaps on Thursday--as I'm anxious to better understand how moderators view board policy regarding this issue.

PostPosted: 07/20/17 4:25 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

In this instance I think the best response, if you felt that a comment was offensive, would have been to matter-of-factly explain why. The best way to change someone for the better in that respect is to help them understand what's wrong with what they said.

To me this one is a grey area, because on this board we're talking about the highest level of this sport, and I believe that someone's preparation is as fair game as their behaviour and decision-making during the contest.
But there's a line as well, and people's mileage will vary regarding where that line is.
Intent matters too. Sometimes a poster might be trying to make a joke, but kinda fails.

Conversely, IMO the wrong way to respond to an offensive remark is to go full troll and embarrass yourself.

PostPosted: 07/20/17 6:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The proper mod response should be "I don't respond to hypotheticals". Every case is different and has to be dealt with individually.

PostPosted: 07/20/17 8:13 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ive watched this Episode of Law & Order before.....didnt end well for me Embarassed

PostPosted: 07/20/17 8:29 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sigur3 wrote:

I would like to nominate sigur3 as mod...

pilight

PostPosted: 07/20/17 8:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sigur3 wrote:

People who really want to be cops make the worst cops

PostPosted: 07/20/17 9:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
sigur3 wrote:

Agreed

PostPosted: 07/20/17 10:11 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
sigur3 wrote:

sigur3

PostPosted: 07/20/17 12:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

calbearman76

PostPosted: 07/20/17 12:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

On this site I would give extremely wide latitude to any comments made about WNBA players and only slightly less towards college players. While comments should not be totally baseless even negative comments made out of a sense of opinion or misguided understanding should be fair game. Indeed if the writer has any type of an open mind then perhaps they can be persuaded by others with more knowledge of the situation

I have more trouble with some of the personal invective thrown towards other posters, particularly when the argument strays away from anything even remotely related to women's basketball.

It seems to me that this is a good site where people share information and opinions about a niche subject. As a result we have various personalities with different perspectives who share different thoughts. The moderators are doing a good job erring on the side of letting things work themselves out on their own and only stepping in when absolutely necessary. More importantly, the posters by and large respect the Board. If people are upset with a particular post they should respond directly and politely (sparky is always acceptable and often more entertaining as well.)

calbearman76

PostPosted: 07/20/17 12:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Double post

Silky Johnson

PostPosted: 07/20/17 1:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

calbearman76 wrote:
On this site I would give extremely wide latitude to any comments made about WNBA players and only slightly less towards college players. While comments should not be totally baseless even negative comments made out of a sense of opinion or misguided understanding should be fair game. Indeed if the writer has any type of an open mind then perhaps they can be persuaded by others with more knowledge of the situation

I have more trouble with some of the personal invective thrown towards other posters, particularly when the argument strays away from anything even remotely related to women's basketball.

I tend to agree with this: a lot of people who post on fan sites appear to feel like the object(s) of their fandom should be held as immune to criticism. I tend to be of the opinion that only other posters should be off limits. And even then, that's only provided that they're not instigating.

My team no longer exists, so I'll have to settle for hating yours.
Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 07/20/17 9:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Many thanks for the valuable responses to my questions and related issues from a moderator (Luuuc) and from many others.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: