RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

SP Career Highlights
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jet Jaguar

PostPosted: 07/17/17 7:23 pm    ::: SP Career Highlights Reply Reply with quote

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/RX718CyO0io" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

PostPosted: 07/17/17 8:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The video is longer than I expected

#NATC

PostPosted: 07/17/17 9:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Tested my attention span, but that's a nice compilation!

PostPosted: 07/17/17 9:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

What I saw was a selfish ball hog who is all about me me me who couldn't make it in the WNBA because WNBA coaches and players hate "all about me" ball hog players.

Shades

PostPosted: 07/17/17 9:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ay Mate wrote:
What I saw was a selfish ball hog who is all about me me me who couldn't make it in the WNBA because WNBA coaches and players hate "all about me" ball hog players.

Unless they are 6'4 and blonde or 6'1 and selling ice cream.

Prahalis got over 900 assists in college. No small feat and not the most selfish accomplishment.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
miller40

PostPosted: 07/17/17 9:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

You should somehow send that to her, it looks like it took a ton of time to make.

Where did you find all the old WNBA games to use as clips? I'd love to watch old games, I wish the WNBA had more of an archive.

SDHoops

PostPosted: 07/17/17 9:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

What's this got to do with the W? Belongs in college thread if anything.

tfan

PostPosted: 07/17/17 10:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I 'd like to see Plum develop that kind of ball handling ability.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 07/18/17 8:14 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Such a talent gone down the drain , i forgot how much i actually enjoyed watching sammy P play back then . Well back to reality Arrow Arrow

PostPosted: 07/18/17 8:58 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Ay Mate wrote:

Prahalis got over 900 assists in college. No small feat and not the most selfish accomplishment.

I was talking more about the WNBA games she was in. No doubt she was good in college but in the WNBA, she was garbage with an attitude/personality to go along with it. She was never brought back because of said attitude/personality much in the same way Connecticut dumped the toxic Kelsey Bone and Phoenix didn't want to re-sign her and no other team was interested in her.

Ay Mate

PostPosted: 07/18/17 9:02 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Ay Mate wrote:

Difference is, those two players you mentioned are elite scorers and are nearly impossible to guard to keep from scoring. Plus, the ice cream seller is a very good defensive player as well. In the WNBA, Prahalis ball hogged the shit out of the Mercury, jacking up shots and missing. I'd like to see a Prahalis WNBA highlight reel of the misses and bad plays she had next to the one where she actually did good things and made shots.

And in college, she was a career 40% shooter and a career 31% shooter from 3. Those are some really shitting percentages from someone that someone else thinks is gods gift to point guards. In her only WNBA season with the Mercury in 2012, her FG% was a dismal 35.2% and an even worse 27.1% from 3. She averaged a decent 4.5 assists per game but that was pretty much killed by averaging 3.0 turnovers per game. She COULD have been a good pro in time (she had a couple flashes in her rookie season but that was it) but her toxicity in the locker room killed that.

miller40

PostPosted: 07/18/17 10:24 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

How was she toxic in the locker room? I can't really remember anything from the time, but I also wasn't paying that close of attention.

Ay Mate

PostPosted: 07/18/17 11:39 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

miller40 wrote:
How was she toxic in the locker room? I can't really remember anything from the time, but I also wasn't paying that close of attention.

A friend of mine who is a friend of the Australian player who was on the same PHX team with her told me. That player, and the reigning WNBA leading scorer did NOT get along with her, and they are both easy to get along with.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 07/18/17 2:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ay Mate wrote:
miller40 wrote:

A friend of mine who is a friend of the Australian player who was on the same PHX team with her told me. That player, and the reigning WNBA leading scorer did NOT get along with her, and they are both easy to get along with.

You referring to Diana & PFT or Diana & BG ?

PostPosted: 07/18/17 5:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Jeeeeeez Ay Mayte, did Sammy accidentally run over your dog or something? Every time she's even mentioned you are triggered. All I did was post some highlights of her career from college to pros. No comments or complaining or anything and you have to go on a rant about how she sucks, and she's selfish, and she's a locker room cancer, etc, etc. You have serious issues dude.

Quote:
And in college, she was a career 40% shooter and a career 31% shooter from 3. Those are some really shitting percentages from someone that someone else thinks is gods gift to point guards. In her only WNBA season with the Mercury in 2012, her FG% was a dismal 35.2% and an even worse 27.1% from 3. She averaged a decent 4.5 assists per game but that was pretty much killed by averaging 3.0 turnovers per game.

Do you know what Briann January shot her rookie year? 33.3%. Do you know what Skylar Diggins shot her rookie year? 32.8%. And both had worse Assist/TO than Sammy's rookie year. Vandersloot had a worse AS/TO% than Sammy's rookie year her first 2 years. I would say most of those players people would say are at least above average today. So some of that has to do with being a young PG and a lot of it had to do with the team she was on too. Heck, even Dewanna Bonner shot a career low 36% that year, only slightly higher than Sammy's. The team was bad. A lot of players had to take shots they wouldn't normally take on a better team. The amount of assists Sammy had was remarkable for the team she was on. Sammy had the highest percentage of her teams overall assists her rookie year. You can look it up. Mercury were the lowest in APG that year and Sammy was 7th in the league in assists. So so much for:
Quote:

and as far as:
Quote:
In the WNBA, Prahalis ball hogged the shit out of the Mercury, jacking up shots and missing. I'd like to see a Prahalis WNBA highlight reel of the misses and bad plays she had next to the one where she actually did good things and made shots.

Again, of course there are going to be some bad plays made by ANY player and especially by a young PG her first year or 2 in the league (and on a poor team or struggling team). You can find that for any player. No one makes a highlight video of those plays. Of course she's not perfect, she made lots of bad plays, young players do that and they learn. But just look at the video. The talent is undeniable. You could not make a video like that for any player in the WNBA. I guess in your world young PG's are supposed to shoot 50% and have an assist/TO ratio of 2.5 in their first year. That would eliminate almost every PG in the damn league. And again...she had by far the most assists on the team and yeah took a lot of shots, but who did you want shooting the ball on that team besides Bonner, Hornbuckle?

Quote:

I have a friend of a friend of a friend of a friend.....this sounds credible. So, even if it's true that DT and her wifey PT didn't get along with her, how is that you automatically assume it's Sammy and not them? I had never heard of ANY locker room issues with Sammy in college or any team until Phoenix. Her teammates and coaches loved her and always said she was great to work with from college to any pro team she's ever been on. But with Phoenix we have players like Cappie leaving the team (I didn't buy the going to NY for fashion thing, did you?), Dupree recently leaving the team, Courtney Williams barely got off the bench and was traded and now is doing great on another team. Kelsey Bone: Gone and not seen since. I'm seeing a trend. I can't recall one player wanting to transfer from Ohio State because of Sammy (because there was none). So all the evidence points to Sammy not being the problem.

But you have no problems spreading some thing you heard from someone else who talked to Penny Taylor as the truth, when you actually HAVE NO IDEA.

So, thank you everyone else who can at least appreciate the talent and skill of a player whose career ended way too to soon and say some nice things about her. The video speaks for itself. She was and is damn good. At least you're not all full of so much unreasonable and unjustified hatred of her that you're not all blind, like our friend Ay Mate.

PostPosted: 07/18/17 6:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ay Mate wrote:
miller40 wrote:

It is perhaps worth noting that the 2012 Mercury had no Australian players. The 2013 Merc had one, but she didn't show up in Phoenix until late in the season, just before Prahalis was released. There was one game in which both played, a blowout loss to the Lynx on 7 July in which Prahalis played six minutes and the Australian played 11, and they were never on the floor at the same time.

PostPosted: 07/18/17 6:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Ay Mate wrote:
miller40 wrote:

It is perhaps worth noting that the 2012 Mercury had no Australian players. The 2013 Merc had one, but she didn't show up in Phoenix until late in the season, just before Prahalis was released. There was one game in which both played, a blowout loss to the Lynx on 7 July in which Prahalis played six minutes and the Australian played 11, and they were never on the floor at the same time.

He's talking about Penny Taylor. She was suspended I believe. She was still a member of the team. She was on the bench for a bunch of the games even though she had the ACL.

PostPosted: 07/18/17 6:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Very well done highlight video.

JJ, all positive and negative rhetoric aside, what's your serious analysis as to why Prahalis hasn't made it in the WNBA.
Tally24

PostPosted: 07/18/17 8:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Man 2011 was a good year for WCBB
Jet Jaguar

PostPosted: 07/18/17 10:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:

JJ, all positive and negative rhetoric aside, what's your serious analysis as to why Prahalis hasn't made it in the WNBA.

I like how everyone just assumes I made this video. Well actually I did lol. So thanks. But I tell everyone its only good because its Sammy Wink.

As far as her not making it, its 100% not her skill. It can't be. She's as skilled of a guard as Ive ever seen. I think its multifaceted. The way she was let go from the Mercury (her being sat after being a starter at the beginning of year) really killed her value. Im not going to go over detail with the situation in Phoenix, just that Ay Mates version of the story is not completely accurate but may be someones spin on it. Sammy is really easy to get along with, but perception is reality. Teams were very leery about giving her a chance after that. I think they thought she was maybe a locker room problem. Either that or they just thought she was bad because they stopped playing her.

The next year Atlanta signed her to camp and should have made the team over Jasmine Thomas (not just my opinion), but was cut probably because they just wanted someone more familiar and who everyone likes. WNBA REALLY likes sameness IMO. They don't like change. They go with vets even if another player is definitely more skilled. Players will actually tell you this if they are honest; Ive heard multiple players saying this, not bitter players, but players in the league. Politics > skill. Then to top it off, LA signed her later that year and inexplicably cut her in a week. So now teams just either assume she sucks or that she's been a problem in the locker room every stop she's been at, which is not true, but again, perception is reality.

I don't think some of the teams she's gotten with overseas helped matters either. For the most part she got on either bad teams where she had to try and do everything (which make her turnovers higher than they normally would be and a lower fg%) or this last team she was on where they had these foreigner rules and she couldn't even get in a game because their overload at the position. But I think its more the WNBA stuff. I don't think WNBA decision makers are completely stupid. They can look at her stuff and see she's really good, but they don't want take the chance. Which is dumb to me. Even if she did do something in Phoenix that was deemed a locker room issue, its not like she killed someone. A player as talented as her should have gotten another real chance, which unfortunately she didn't.

But, oh well, Im really happy to have been a fan of hers and she gave me a lot of joy watching her play over the years. She's a great player and really even a better person as well.

PostPosted: 07/19/17 1:45 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I like the music

GEF34

PostPosted: 07/19/17 2:01 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ay Mate wrote:
Shades wrote:
Ay Mate wrote:

I was talking more about the WNBA games she was in. No doubt she was good in college but in the WNBA, she was garbage with an attitude/personality to go along with it. She was never brought back because of said attitude/personality much in the same way Connecticut dumped the toxic Kelsey Bone and Phoenix didn't want to re-sign her and no other team was interested in her.

Phoenix actually offered Kelsey Bone a contract and it was Kelsey's choice not to sign it. Maybe she didn't like the offer, maybe she decided she didn't want to play because she is working on her company, but she did have an offer from Phoenix, that is the only way she could have been a restricted free agent, otherwise she would have been an unrestricted free agent.

GEF34

PostPosted: 07/19/17 2:08 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Jet Jaguar wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:

I like how everyone just assumes I made this video. Well actually I did lol. So thanks. But I tell everyone its only good because its Sammy Wink.

As far as her not making it, its 100% not her skill. It can't be. She's as skilled of a guard as Ive ever seen. I think its multifaceted. The way she was let go from the Mercury (her being sat after being a starter at the beginning of year) really killed her value. Im not going to go over detail with the situation in Phoenix, just that Ay Mates version of the story is not completely accurate but may be someones spin on it. Sammy is really easy to get along with, but perception is reality. Teams were very leery about giving her a chance after that. I think they thought she was maybe a locker room problem. Either that or they just thought she was bad because they stopped playing her.

The next year Atlanta signed her to camp and should have made the team over Jasmine Thomas (not just my opinion), but was cut probably because they just wanted someone more familiar and who everyone likes. WNBA REALLY likes sameness IMO. They don't like change. They go with vets even if another player is definitely more skilled. Players will actually tell you this if they are honest; Ive heard multiple players saying this, not bitter players, but players in the league. Politics > skill. Then to top it off, LA signed her later that year and inexplicably cut her in a week. So now teams just either assume she sucks or that she's been a problem in the locker room every stop she's been at, which is not true, but again, perception is reality.

I don't think some of the teams she's gotten with overseas helped matters either. For the most part she got on either bad teams where she had to try and do everything (which make her turnovers higher than they normally would be and a lower fg%) or this last team she was on where they had these foreigner rules and she couldn't even get in a game because their overload at the position. But I think its more the WNBA stuff. I don't think WNBA decision makers are completely stupid. They can look at her stuff and see she's really good, but they don't want take the chance. Which is dumb to me. Even if she did do something in Phoenix that was deemed a locker room issue, its not like she killed someone. A player as talented as her should have gotten another real chance, which unfortunately she didn't.

But, oh well, Im really happy to have been a fan of hers and she gave me a lot of joy watching her play over the years. She's a great player and really even a better person as well.

I don't know about her situation with the other teams, but when she signed with the Sparks she knew they had a player they were waiting to sign and she was just a place holder until that player could sign. It was already set for the other player to join the team to replace Kristi Toliver while she was away, and due to other circumstances she wasn't able to sign right away so they signed Samantha Prahalis until she was available.

Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 07/19/17 2:23 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GEF34 wrote:
Ay Mate wrote:
Shades wrote:
Ay Mate wrote:

Phoenix actually offered Kelsey Bone a contract and it was Kelsey's choice not to sign it. Maybe she didn't like the offer, maybe she decided she didn't want to play because she is working on her company, but she did have an offer from Phoenix, that is the only way she could have been a restricted free agent, otherwise she would have been an unrestricted free agent.

Are you sure about that?
I thought "Restricted Free Agent" was just an indication that the player's existing club has matching rights for any signed contract offer, as opposed to indicating that anything has actually been signed or even offered.

PostPosted: 07/19/17 2:25 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:
GEF34 wrote:
Ay Mate wrote:
Shades wrote:
Ay Mate wrote:

Are you sure about that?
I thought "Restricted Free Agent" was just an indication that the player's existing club has matching rights for any signed contract offer, as opposed to indicating that anything has actually been signed or even offered.

Unless it has changed, a team has to give a player a qualifying offer, which is basically a minimum contract (I think) to make them a restricted free agent. Or else they become unrestricted free agent.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: