Deep Bench
5%
 5%  [ 3 ]
Europe/Australia career only
11%
 11%  [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 51

tfan

PostPosted: 07/18/17 6:36 pm    ::: What is Kelsey Plum's future? Reply Reply with quote

There was a lot of "she's a bust" talk not long ago. Now I am seeing "Vicky Johnson must play her more" talk. What is the expected future for Kelsey Plum in her career?

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 07/18/17 6:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

She's on such a bad team, begun with injury, has been used so inconsistently, and has so failed her hype that she's probably pretty psyched out. So, it's really much too early to be clairvoyant.

But the poll is now. I say that she has real talent, though not elite, given how she performed in college, that she overcomes the adjustment and psychological difficulties, and eventually becomes a starter somewhere.
Randy

PostPosted: 07/18/17 8:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Many players have started out really bad (e.g. Clarendon, J. Thomas) but later became good players so she might turn out fine. Of course, others have been busts. I think one thing detrimental to her development is being the No. 1 pick with all the expectations. Rookies seem to do well coming off the bench, learning the game as they go and getting more time as their play shows they are ready. She is kind of thrust into starting, then yanked and playing such odd minutes that I think it hurts her confidence and development. It is probably a lot harder to learn on a bad team.

I voted rotation player -which can cover any thing from starter to regular sub, just based on where she is now. We she not the No. 1 pick, or on a better team she might not be playing as much now.

sigur3

PostPosted: 07/18/17 8:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Player who is excessively analyzed on a basketball message board

tfan

PostPosted: 07/18/17 8:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Watching the Storm/Sky game and saw Kaleena Mosqueda-Lewis and remembered that until Loyd and Zahui B. came out a year early, she was the #1 pick of the 2015 draft. And that was after Auriemma said something like, "If she gets with the right team/situation she can do well" and an article titled: WNBA Teams Wonder About Mosqueda-Lewis' D

Last edited by tfan on 07/18/17 9:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
Richyyy

PostPosted: 07/18/17 9:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If she doesn't improve, the next big event will probably be getting cut by Fenerbahce. Hopefully they give her the time to settle and improve. There are plenty of crappy teams in Turkey for her to gain confidence against, but the fans won't be kind if she sucks against the top teams and in EuroLeague Women.

PostPosted: 07/18/17 9:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sigur3 wrote:

So on par with about half the league.

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 07/19/17 7:05 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Imo it comes down to speed. I'll guess she'll make the adjustment to the speed of the pro game at some point-maybe overseas or next yr in the W- and will eventually start.

I think she's been overwhelmed but has enough pride/determination and talent to have a decent career.

Will be intetesting to see what happens.

PostPosted: 07/20/17 8:52 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The Stars are such a mess, as is the head coach and GM. I'm seeing her on a different team within the next couple seasons. I think on the right team, she'll thrive, and aerage double digits in scoring. Same thing goes with Rachel Banham. The Sun isn't the right fit for her either. Like Plum, both players would probably benefit from a change in their surroundings because they're not good at all on the teams they're on now.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 07/20/17 9:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ay Mate wrote:
The Stars are such a mess, as is the head coach and GM. I'm seeing her on a different team within the next couple seasons. I think on the right team, she'll thrive, and aerage double digits in scoring. Same thing goes with Rachel Banham. The Sun isn't the right fit for her either. Like Plum, both players would probably benefit from a change in their surroundings because they're not good at all on the teams they're on now.

I agree on the plum assessment , Banham OTOH is a whole different story.

PostPosted: 07/20/17 6:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I am not going to be a career assassin and kill this women's future in her first year of pro basketball. There should be a poll instead on which team made the biggest transaction blunder of 2017.

PostPosted: 07/20/17 7:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think Kelsey can become a serviceable starter, but she certainly needs more talent around her. If the Stars can add Wilson things could look up. But there is a problem that it would be hard to play her along side Moriah Jefferson. She has enough charisma that she will be given several chances to succeed and while I don't see her as an All Star, I think she can find a good fit somewhere.

Randy

PostPosted: 07/20/17 8:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rock Hard wrote:
I am not going to be a career assassin and kill this women's future in her first year of pro basketball. There should be a poll instead on which team made the biggest transaction blunder of 2017.

Are you counting draft picks as transactions? Shakhator at No. 3 might be one candidate. Coffey at 5, Jankowksi at 9, etc. Swords deal for Seattle another candidate.

Rock Hard

PostPosted: 07/20/17 8:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
Rock Hard wrote:

Are you counting draft picks as transactions? Shakhator at No. 3 might be one candidate. Coffey at 5, Jankowksi at 9, etc. Swords deal for Seattle another candidate.

Yes I am Randy. That Swords deal is mind blowing to me. They get this woman and then rarely play her. The structure of the team remains the same as last season and the Storm fans on this board wonder why their team is having a disappointing season. Duh! Laughing

PostPosted: 07/20/17 8:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Imagine keeping that pick and drafting Sykes onto that team? Woof!

ChicagoAnnie

PostPosted: 07/20/17 8:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sigur3 wrote:

yes, it's the diggins' rookie year all over again. give the kid a chance to correct some things in the off season however she may do it...overseas or at home in the gym.

sithinfiltrator

PostPosted: 07/20/17 8:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rock Hard wrote:
Yes I am Randy. That Swords deal is mind blowing to me. They get this woman and then rarely play her. The structure of the team remains the same as last season and the Storm fans on this board wonder why their team is having a disappointing season. Duh! Laughing

I don't think that many of us are wondering. I banged my head against the wall the second I heard about that trade. I knew that we wouldn't be able to use Swords effectively. Like I said in other threads, I think the big problem for the Storm is Jenny Boucek. The Storm needs a new head coach and perhaps a new GM.

PostPosted: 07/20/17 8:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ChicagoAnnie wrote:
sigur3 wrote:

yes, it's the diggins' rookie year all over again. give the kid a chance to correct some things in the off season however she may do it...overseas or at home in the gym.

She was looking a lot better tonight. Ended up with 16 points. Of course, the game was a blowout for the Stars over the Fever and everyone on the Stars looked pretty good.

RavenDog

PostPosted: 07/20/17 10:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It's not the team.
It's not Vicky Johnson.
It's not the hoop.
It's not the food.
It's not the climate.

It's Kelsey Plum. She needs to acclimate to the WNBA, develop the necessary skills she doesn't currently possess, learn how to play defense and learn the offense and defensive sets.

Although she scored a lot of points in college, she was not privileged with top notch PG training/coaching. ND, Stanford, Connecticut, Baylor etc. would have provided the necessary skills for graduating to the WNBA level. She made the choice.

She'll get there.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 07/21/17 8:09 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

RavenDog wrote:
It's not the team.
It's not Vicky Johnson.
It's not the hoop.
It's not the food.
It's not the climate.

It's Kelsey Plum. She needs to acclimate to the WNBA, develop the necessary skills she doesn't currently possess, learn how to play defense and learn the offense and defensive sets.

Although she scored a lot of points in college, she was not privileged with top notch PG training/coaching. ND, Stanford, Connecticut, Baylor etc. would have provided the necessary skills for graduating to the WNBA level. She made the choice.

She'll get there.

I couldn't have said this any better !

PostPosted: 07/21/17 9:23 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quje sara sara what ever will be will be
The futures not ours to see -for Kelsey Plum the Plum.

Jet Jaguar

PostPosted: 07/21/17 11:08 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Its nice to see many people on here actually give a young player a chance to develop and grow and not just call them a bust or SUCKS if they arent shooting 50% with a 2.5 AS/To ratio in their first year.

Where were all you guys before?

PostPosted: 07/21/17 12:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think Plum silenced a lot of her critics last night. Vj let her play 30 minutes and she responded with 16 points, 6 assists, and 0 turnovers. Good nights work for a rookie. I liked the Plum to Harrison combo, reminiscent of Stockton to Malone. Plum is a good passer and bound to get better.

Angus24

PostPosted: 07/21/17 12:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think Plum silenced a lot of her critics last night. Vj let her play 30 minutes and she responded with 16 points, 6 assists, and 0 turnovers. Good nights work for a rookie. I liked the Plum to Harrison combo, reminiscent of Stockton to Malone. Plum is a good passer and bound to get better.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 07/21/17 1:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Angus24 wrote:

not so fast its just 1 game against an inferior team or equally horrible opponent . Lets see this type of performance with the game on the line against Minn,LA,DC,Phx ect....

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: