16%  [ 5 ]
West
83%
 83%  [ 25 ]
Total Votes : 30

bcdawg04

PostPosted: 07/23/17 6:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ay Mate wrote:
Ok but its not really about teams. It's about players. When the allstars were announced, Chicago only had a few wins, so at the time, they were pretty much just as terrible as the Stars were. The Fever are a terrible team too. But they had an all star.

Chicago plays in the East.

As we watched pre-game warmups yesterday, a friend commented, "The East looks like an All-Star team. The West looks like Team USA...plus Candace Parker."

Some real nice young talent in the East, and their speed burned the oldies in the West time and again. The West players aren't done yet, though, and at this time the West is still deeper.

I'm generally not a big fan of shootouts and bad defense, but the all-star game is the all-star game. (The Seattle Reign unfortunately took a page out of the all-star play book yesterday, deciding that defense was optional in a game that involved 9 goals (should have been 10!) Razz .) I did thoroughly enjoy All-Star Weekend. I was excited for the 10 first-time all-stars, especially Stewie who was voted as team captain. I enjoyed listening to the coaches mic'd up during the open practices as they played a bit to the crowd. I loved seeing how much fun Parker was having. I loved the silly moments like when DT tipped Hayes' pass out of bounds and Hayes laughed and wrapped DT in a big hug. I loved Maya's excitement for Jonquel's dunk. I just love watching Jonquel play.

I truly hope that the fans who came from out of town and the players all had a good time. I met a couple of San Antonio fans after the game who were enjoying their time here, and it certainly sounds like the players did too: Seattle shines as host for WNBA All-Star Game

Quote:
"Oh, man, they did an amazing job,’’ Parker said. “They were unbelievable, honestly. The city, the fans, Sue and Stewie being a great representation of the city and their organization. I like the other All-Star Games, but this was probably my favorite.”

Quote:
“That was just a wonderful weekend, to put a show like that out for the fans that appreciate basketball, that appreciate it played the right way,’’ added Diana Taurasi, playing in her eighth All-Star Game. “This fan base is one of the best I’ve ever seen in any sport, in any country I’ve played in."

toad455

PostPosted: 07/23/17 6:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

it's also nice when an ASG isn't forced upon a team(i.e. Connecticut).

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 07/23/17 6:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Chelsea Gray had a nice game that showcased her talent well. She's not a "show time" player a' la Shoni, but she can make some razzle dazzle passes with the best of them. Plus, her rainbow three goes IN the bucket at a league leading rate. Her shot is so good that teammates are setting HER up, which keeps her own assist numbers down.

I am so so happy that other fans are seeing her and her game. In college, Skylar and Odyssey got most of the press and Skylar has lived up to all the hype. I always thought Chelsea belonged even with those two - or even better in some ways. So far, of the three, Skylar has #1 locked up and Chelsea has to keep playing her wonderful game a few more years.

But for now, Chelsea has arrived and all of us are lucky she has.

~rAf
Jet Jaguar

PostPosted: 07/23/17 7:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

readyAIMfire53 wrote:
In college, Skylar and Odyssey got most of the press...

As a fan of who I felt was the best point guard in college basketball (by a wide margin), I definitely felt your pain...

PostPosted: 07/23/17 9:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Obviously I'm biased but I think Rodgers was a good pick.

If I was going to rationalize it for better or worse my argument would be two fold, one she had a break out season last year and would have been an all-star if there was an all-star game, and two NY is just good enough to merit two all-stars and while arguments could be made for other player Rodgers is really the second best player on the Liberty now and moving into the future.

Bonus argument she was in the three point contest and made it exciting, so even though technically you shouldn't be proving you are all-star worthy after being selected that performance made her look like an all-star IMO.

Last edited by J-Spoon on 07/23/17 11:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
Queenie

PostPosted: 07/23/17 11:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Lawd, that Reign match. Now I know why my husband swiped the "I'm blind! I'm deaf! I wanna be a ref!" chant from soccer. Y'all are really going to not call a player being thrown so hard into the boards they fold in as a foul?

(and Sky Blue is probably kicking themselves over the own goal)

PostPosted: 07/24/17 8:32 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
I was excited for all the All-Stars, but especially Stewie,’’ she said. “It’s her first, and she gets to experience it on her home court. Maybe it’s my last, and I’ll have experienced it on my home court. All in all, it was good fun

Could this really be Sue's last year ? id hope she's speaking in terms of there not being an ASG next year and not this being her final full season Crying or Very sad Embarassed

PostPosted: 07/24/17 10:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
Quote:
I was excited for all the All-Stars, but especially Stewie,’’ she said. “It’s her first, and she gets to experience it on her home court. Maybe it’s my last, and I’ll have experienced it on my home court. All in all, it was good fun

Could this really be Sue's last year ? id hope she's speaking in terms of there not being an ASG next year and not this being her final full season Crying or Very sad Embarassed

It's not an Olympic year, I don't see why there wouldn't be an ASG next year.

The whole weekend felt like it was set up as Sue's Final All Star to me. I wouldn't be surprised if she announces her retirement toward the very end of the season.

tfan

PostPosted: 07/24/17 10:48 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
Quote:

She could also be leaving open the possibility that there is an all-star game and she doesn't get selected. Even if she feels she will make a 2018 all-star team, the modest way to say it is as an "if".

Ay Mate

PostPosted: 07/24/17 10:52 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
Quote:

I don't think so. I think it's her saying she might never be picked for another all-star game and this one might be her last. On the other hand, she recently started dating that woman soccor player so maybe at the end of this season, she wants to settle down and not play/travel around all summer anymore so they can spend as much time together as possible. WHEN she retires though, it will be probably the biggest end of an era for a WNBA team in the history of the league. The only other two were when Lisa Leslie retired from the Sparks and Tamika Catchings retired from the Fever.

Sue retires from Seattle >> Lisa Leslie retires from LA >> Tamika Catchings retired from Indiana... in that order

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 07/24/17 1:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ay Mate wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
Quote:

I don't think so. I think it's her saying she might never be picked for another all-star game and this one might be her last. On the other hand, she recently started dating that woman soccor player so maybe at the end of this season, she wants to settle down and not play/travel around all summer anymore so they can spend as much time together as possible. WHEN she retires though, it will be probably the biggest end of an era for a WNBA team in the history of the league. The only other two were when Lisa Leslie retired from the Sparks and Tamika Catchings retired from the Fever.

Sue retires from Seattle >> Lisa Leslie retires from LA >> Tamika Catchings retired from Indiana... in that order

Then Seimone From Minny>>>>> Diana from PHX >>>>Candace From LA !! Ugh that post kind of made me emotional Embarassed

PostPosted: 07/24/17 1:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
it's also nice when an ASG isn't forced upon a team(i.e. Connecticut).

Agreed. And Seattle seems to have put together a great event. The last ASG at Connecticut was garbage. Not the game itself but the fact that Mohegan Sun did NOTHING other than hold the game.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: