RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

NBA summer league spells trouble for the WNBA

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 07/17/17 9:00 pm    ::: NBA summer league spells trouble for the WNBA Reply Reply with quote

Lonzo Ball and the NBA summer league spell trouble for the WNBA
Quote:
For a league already struggling to maintain an audience, the increasing intrigue in the NBA summer league should send a clear message to the WNBA: Good basketball alone isn't sufficient to sustain interest in women's professional hoops.
Simply put, the WNBA needs to create more drama around its players and teams.
Another strategy for the WNBA would be to cultivate a villain, a personality or someone whose character defies and complements their on-court skill.

http://www.espn.com/espnw/voices/article/20089291/lonzo-ball-nba-summer-league-spell-trouble-wnba

PostPosted: 07/17/17 9:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So much crap in that article so little time....yes the summer league is drawing more than people thought...but its 2 different things...article was written by a dude who think its still NBA STH who go to W games...it rarely is.

Yes there needs to be more juice to W games...yes there are schedule issues and overseas issues...and yes the 2 overlap...BUT...ESPN with their lame o coverage and excuse making should be the LAST people to bitch about the W lacking drama...I mean the LAST...I ranted more on twitter...that's enough negavitity for this rebkellian Wink

PostPosted: 07/17/17 9:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The article is shit.

Next.

miller40

PostPosted: 07/17/17 9:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

In the amount of space he dedicated to Lonzo he could have written an attention getting article on Taurasi sitting out to "rest" against the best team in the W (and presumably a team she hates hates hates losing against).

Richyyy

PostPosted: 07/17/17 10:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It's really a shame that espnW is a giant steaming pile of shit. There's been a visible effort to offer more coverage of women's sports on the BBC website in the last couple of years (along with other 'niche' groups like paralympic sport). I can't imagine the hit-rates for the pages are great, but the links appear on the main page of the sports section, right where they should, amongst everything else. The word 'women' only even appears if it's particularly necessary or relevant. Otherwise it just says something like 'Manchester City defeat Arsenal 2-1' as the headline, without feeling the need to actively distinguish.

Meanwhile, espnW actively sidelines and limits the coverage the main sports site in the US offers of women's sport. It's basically a lifestyle section without that title, so the actual coverage of the sport barely exists. Then there's stuff like this about everything the League is supposedly doing wrong and how it's going to die.

The WNBA has drama. It's just that no one much cares to write about it in these places, and even if they do, so little attention is paid that it fades away quickly. The use of Plum, and the drama around her potentially being traded, would've been a huge NBA story, but it doesn't count for guys like this because on an NBA scale no one really cares. Taurasi's a villain for plenty of people, and a hero for many others, but only if you're watching.

Sadly, the only story that really seems to have penetrated general consciousness in recent years is all the Glory/Griner drama, and I don't think the league really wants the major outlet covering them to be TMZ.

PostPosted: 07/18/17 12:14 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The only reason there might be slighter greater interest in the NBA summer league is because of Lonzo Ball and because of BBB...two isolated entities. Lonzo is good enough to be an attraction unto himself, and I've even watched him play a few times because he plays basketball exactly the way it is supposed to be played. Because of his dad and the whole changing sneakers every night thing, I'm sure there's also people watching because they're salivating at the possibility of his failure.

Either way, this isn't detracting from the WNBA. Fans of women's ball will watch. Non-fans won't. The end.

PostPosted: 07/18/17 8:02 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Interest in summer league is growing because the NBA is promoting the hell out of it. Every game is on NBATV.

PostPosted: 07/18/17 12:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Interest in summer league is growing because the NBA is promoting the hell out of it. Every game is on NBATV.

It's also only the last 10 years or so that it's had any structure or system to it. Obviously that's helped interest because there's been something to actually follow and pay attention to.

PostPosted: 07/18/17 12:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

There was actually talk of the WNBA during last night's D league tourney final. The color guy asked the pbp guy along the lines of "Is Brianna Stewart a superstar yet in the WNBA" to which the response from the pbp guy was (not exactly but close) "no, I don't think so, not the way people expected her to be."

Ugh

NYL_WNBA_FAN

PostPosted: 07/18/17 12:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:

Hasn't that been the case the last several years? If not every game, a large portion of them?

PostPosted: 07/18/17 1:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sorry to disagree, but the Summer League HAS become a phenomenon. Wildly enthusiastic crowds in Vegas, attendance exceeding 127,000, including a 17,500 sellout on the second day. Yes, Lonzo Ball contributed to the excitement, but even last season the attendance was over 100,000. That is $3,000,000 in ticket sales for exhibition games including only rookies and 1st and 2nd year players in a city without an NBA team.

Add to that the TV exposure on both NBA TV and ESPN that clouds out the WNBA, and I believe draws significantly higher viewership, and you have another problem for the WNBA. I love the women's game, but the contributors on this board are the real minority, and the answer is not to criticize this writer.

shontay33

PostPosted: 07/18/17 6:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think the writer is blowing things out of proportion. The summer league was only for 18 days. The WNBA season lasts for 5 months or more depending on the Finals. Its not like the NBA has its summer league the whole time that the WNBA is in progress. I'm with most people on this board in that this article was a waste of time and that the writer could have actually focused more on what is going on in the WNBA .

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 07/18/17 7:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think the writer's theory about curing the WNBA's attendance ills is nonsense. He says the cure is for the WNBA to have more villains and controversies including fights.

Do people pack NBA arenas because the sport offers villains, controversies and fights? I think it's rather because they like to see, want to see, hope to see top level talent exploding through space-time like high energy particle scattering in the Large Hadron Collider. Of course, some mystery about a hyped mega-talent may add to the drama, but still its about on-court talent, performance and excitement.

Blown chippies, airballs, galumphing bigs, disorganized teamwork, ref whistlemania, and endless Zapruder replays to slow down an already molasses pace -- that is all a sport for a different mind set audience.
NYL_WNBA_FAN

PostPosted: 07/18/17 7:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

calbearman76 wrote:
Sorry to disagree, but the Summer League HAS become a phenomenon. Wildly enthusiastic crowds in Vegas, attendance exceeding 127,000, including a 17,500 sellout on the second day. Yes, Lonzo Ball contributed to the excitement, but even last season the attendance was over 100,000. That is $3,000,000 in ticket sales for exhibition games including only rookies and 1st and 2nd year players in a city without an NBA team.

Add to that the TV exposure on both NBA TV and ESPN that clouds out the WNBA, and I believe draws significantly higher viewership, and you have another problem for the WNBA. I love the women's game, but the contributors on this board are the real minority, and the answer is not to criticize this writer.

Summer league attendance isn't as much of an indicator as TV ratings I'd say. TV ratings do seems to be going up each year, but the fact remains that the two highest-rated NBA Summer League games ever have both included Lonzo Ball. Hence, the NBA Summer League is still being discussed within the context of unparalleled popularity right now. It's a hot topic of discussion even on mainstream sports radio because Ball is playing. So bringing it up now is, to me, not really a fair indicator of anything.

It's also a stretch of just under 3 weeks. I don't really think it's making or breaking the WNBA anyway.

PostPosted: 07/18/17 7:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

And is it still gonna sell out when the Lakers are good enough again to not have anyone in it worth watching?

PostPosted: 07/18/17 8:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If I read correctly, I believe people in attendance get to view all the games in the venue that day if they choose. If that's the case, I guess that changes the equation some in terms of attendance moving forward. Several games for 20 or 30 bucks is understandably a good selling point.

Though I think the Lonzo-mania is a special case between the kid, the dad and the different sneakers every night. Great player though. I've watched him twice and I rarely watch NBA summer league games. Whatever anyone thinks of Lavar, he's doing what he intended to do. People are paying attention, and isn't only because Lonzo is talented. It's a wider variety of factors, including those who want him to fail.

PostPosted: 07/18/17 8:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Summer League generates a lot of interest because, unless you root for one of, like, 4-5 NBA teams, they're the only games you get to be excited about until next year's Summer League. It's the time of year when you get to break out your shiny new toys, err... draft picks, and get really hyped up over their potential... Until the regular season starts, and you get brought back to the hard reality that your team doesn't have a chance.

My team no longer exists, so I'll have to settle for hating yours.
pilight

PostPosted: 07/18/17 9:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
Blown chippies, airballs, galumphing bigs, disorganized teamwork, ref whistlemania, and endless Zapruder replays to slow down an already molasses pace -- that is all a sport for a different mind set audience.

Other than the replays you can get all that from Summer League games

PostPosted: 07/18/17 11:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:
pilight wrote:

Hasn't that been the case the last several years? If not every game, a large portion of them?

NBATV has basically broadcast every game for years. The big change has been ESPN getting games due to the new TV deal, which has resulted in them firing up their promotional machine too.

The Lakers stinking in the regular season and the resulting youth movement have also helped bring in fans in close proximity. The longtime fans are not big fans of the influx of new fans, but the basketball world has a whole has turned Las Vegas into a big basketball convention during this time of the year. The men's Korean League is holding their tryout there right now ahead of their draft and other exposure camps are held for foreign teams. There are agent schools, scout schools, coaching schools, and any other type of event you can think of related to basketball.

To be clear, NBATV and nba.com coverage does not mean that the NBA is promoting it. Both are owned by the NBA, but Turner is responsible for operating both with fairly limited input from the NBA. It's the same situation as ncaa.com which is why complaints during the NCAA tournament about lack of coverage on ncaa.com made sense as Turner was busy promoting events that also were broadcast on their television networks.
red805

PostPosted: 07/19/17 1:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The Sparks game last Thursday that was supposed to air on Spectrum (old Time Warner) was replaced with the summer league game. I called Spectrum & complained. Then after being on the phone for half an our with Spectrum, I saw an e-mail from my Sparks rep that the game was delayed on tv until after the men's game, but the cable rep had no clue. I know the Las Vegas tournament was popular, but it was on 6 channels that I had.

justintyme

PostPosted: 07/19/17 11:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ran across this essay in my feed and found it on point.

https://www.goldenstateofmind.com/2017/7/19/15994162/wnba-2017-espn-espnw-sean-hurd-bullshit-discriminatory-reporting-womens-pro-basketball

Quote:
If ESPN would simply cover the league closely across its various platforms the way it does the NBA, the storylines would emerge. For Hurd to point the finger at the WNBA for ESPN’s lack of coverage — instead of actually writing a piece covering the WNBA — is a journalistic disgrace. As demonstrated above, the storylines are there — despite Hurd’s claims to the contrary.

PostPosted: 07/19/17 11:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

justintyme wrote:
Ran across this essay in my feed and found it on point.

https://www.goldenstateofmind.com/2017/7/19/15994162/wnba-2017-espn-espnw-sean-hurd-bullshit-discriminatory-reporting-womens-pro-basketball

Quote:
If ESPN would simply cover the league closely across its various platforms the way it does the NBA, the storylines would emerge. For Hurd to point the finger at the WNBA for ESPN’s lack of coverage — instead of actually writing a piece covering the WNBA — is a journalistic disgrace. As demonstrated above, the storylines are there — despite Hurd’s claims to the contrary.

Thanks for sharing this excellent piece. We know the storylines are there. The boys at ESPN and many other sports media outlets just don't care.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: