RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Let's assume I've never seen 10 seconds of Game of Thrones

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ArtBest23

PostPosted: 07/17/17 4:30 pm    ::: Let's assume I've never seen 10 seconds of Game of Thrones Reply Reply with quote

If I'm suddenly interested, do I need to go back and start at Season 1, episode 1?

And if I don't, and go ahead and watch this season's shows, would that ruin it for me later watching the first six seasons?

justintyme

PostPosted: 07/17/17 5:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'd start at the beginning. The show is based on a series of books that are really just one long story. Everything builds on things that happened earlier, and there are a lot of moving pieces and political intrigue.

Plus, imo, it is really worth the watch.

PostPosted: 07/17/17 6:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yes, in order to watch the series, you kind of have to start at the beginning so you understand everything that is going on in the present.
cthskzfn

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 07/17/17 8:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Agreed. Start at 1-1. I binged a couple of years ago- worth it.

I didn't find a potato chip in my beard though.

PostPosted: 07/17/17 8:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I like to watch action TV/movies when I am working out. A one hour TV show goes in about 40 minutes on the elliptical. I like action much more than drama because I generally get caught up in it the action and work out harder and the time passes more quickly. For example - Walking Dead, Arrow, Flash, Black Hawk Down, Lord of the Rings, 24 all worked pretty well for me. While I liked Better Call Saul, it is not a workout video for me.

So with that as background - I too have never seen 10 seconds of Game of Thrones. Would it be good for what I'm doing?

justintyme

PostPosted: 07/17/17 8:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
I like to watch action TV/movies when I am working out. A one hour TV show goes in about 40 minutes on the elliptical. I like action much more than drama because I generally get caught up in it the action and work out harder and the time passes more quickly. For example - Walking Dead, Arrow, Flash, Black Hawk Down, Lord of the Rings, 24 all worked pretty well for me. While I liked Better Call Saul, it is not a workout video for me.

So with that as background - I too have never seen 10 seconds of Game of Thrones. Would it be good for what I'm doing?

Since it is HBO it is longer than 40 minutes (the episodes vary in length) usually ~55 minutes to an hour. Some a bit longer.

While there is action, sometimes a lot of it, the show isn't really an action show. There is a lot of dialog and intrigue that goes on, and it might be tough to follow if you are doing something else at the same time. That being said, most episodes are extremely engrossing, and when you finish one you will likely want to move on to the next.

GoT is also nice to binge as it has a huge cast and deals with a ton of different noble houses and bit players here and there. By watching them back to back, you can really get a feel for who everyone is amd how they all fit together. For people who hadn't read the books, this was a real problem for them when watching one episode a week.

PostPosted: 07/17/17 8:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If you don't want to watch six seasons of the show, you can always hit a good recap page.

PostPosted: 07/17/17 8:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I wouldn't call GoT "action" in the usual sense, either.

I wouldn't be such a fan if that's all there was to it.

That's said, there's plenty of blood, gore, sex, fighting, etc.

PostPosted: 07/17/17 9:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Thanks. I might see a few of the initial episodes and decide from there.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 07/18/17 11:34 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Definitely start from 1-1. Otherwise, you will miss all the convoluted and shocking plots, intrigue and character growth of the sprawling cast as they've changed, grown older and died.

I binge-watched the entire first six seasons this winter. The one hour recap that's available for season seven doesn't remotely capture the sweep of the first six seasons.

If you just tuned into 7-1, which I watched last night, you would have no idea of the meaning of the first scene in a dining hall. You would also see a dwarf with almost no lines on a ship with a blond, also with almost no lines, and some dragons. You would have no idea that the dwarf and blond have been among the main characters in the story. And that same non-recognition would similarly apply to about 10 other important plot characters who will almost seem like random or almost invisible secondary characters in 7-1.

The Game of Thrones is about the power plays, intrigues, plots, murders and battles that seven families keep making against each other to rule the known world, all against a mythological and somewhat magical background history. Meanwhile, in the far north, the real evil is coming after all of them. All this takes years to develop.

Each episode of GOT usually has three or four major plot lines going at the same time, among which the episode shifts back and forth. To understand these plot lines in any given episode, you really need the background of all the previous ones.
cthskzfn

PostPosted: 07/18/17 6:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
Thanks. I might see a few of the initial episodes and decide from there.

I watched 1-1 when it first aired, wasn't intrigued enough to record the series, and forgot all about it.

When I binged years later I thought I'd never seen GoT at all, but my memory was jogged early in the 1-1 replay.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: