RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

13th Doctor Announced....

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51
View previous topic :: View next topic  
justintyme

PostPosted: 07/16/17 11:10 am    ::: 13th Doctor Announced.... Reply Reply with quote

Reveal Trailer:
https://mobile.twitter.com/bbcdoctorwho/status/886608420241117185/video/1

(I love that smirk at the end).

Spolier Below!

It's Jodie Whittaker!

Excellent choice, IMHO. Excited to see how they write for her.

PostPosted: 07/16/17 11:47 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Okay, just to lay this out there. I've never been interested in The Doctor changing sex, so I'm not thrilled off the bat about this news. However, unlike most people who will air their opinions about this casting, I'm not going to go apeshit about it. I'm not going to vow not to watch the show ever again.

But I will say this. They had better prove me wrong. If they do that, I will gladly admit that I was wrong. The new EP has a history as the actress was one of the main leads on his series Broadchurch, which is currently airing its third and final season on BBC America.
justintyme

PostPosted: 07/16/17 11:48 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

As much as I like this choice because Jodie is a fantastic actress and the gender flip can bring such fresh life to the series as they explore new ground (and plus, it's my turn to crush on the Doctor, damn it!), I am also loving this decision for how many people have been triggered by it.

I mean, it's literally a show about a (relatively) immortal, time travelling, shape-shifting alien living in a fictional world that established cross-gender regeneration as canon years ago. Bunch of snowflakes. ❄❄❄

(Eta: this wasn't directed at you YC, as I was writing it when you posted, and your stance is much more reasonable than the over the top ranting I've been hearing.)

PostPosted: 07/16/17 8:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm looking forward to this. I'll be wondering if their story line will deal with the reaction of the TARDIS to the new transformation of the Doctor. There were those companions the TARDIS didn't like, so a story of conflict, Time Lord vs. Machine could be really interesting.

If you cannot inspire yourself to read a book about women's basketball, or any book about women's sports, you cannot inspire any young girl or boy to write a book about them. http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Richardstrek
justintyme

PostPosted: 07/16/17 8:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richard 77 wrote:
I'm looking forward to this. I'll be wondering if their story line will deal with the reaction of the TARDIS to the new transformation of the Doctor. There were those companions the TARDIS didn't like, so a story of conflict, Time Lord vs. Machine could be really interesting.

That's my thought. There is just so much they can do with this.

One of the big things for me was that they earned this narrative twist. It wasn't just thrown in at the last moment as some sort of stunt, they have been throwing hints and directly building to this since 2011 with Neil Gaiman's episode "The Doctor's Wife" (not to mentioned it was discussed and considered possible since the 80s). And since then they have layered even more exposition, dialog, and character arcs to ensure that the ability to do this was solidly enshrined in canon. That is how something like this should be done.

PostPosted: 07/17/17 6:27 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

justintyme wrote:

(Eta: this wasn't directed at you YC, as I was writing it when you posted, and your stance is much more reasonable than the over the top ranting I've been hearing.)

Differing opinions on a topic are always a good thing, so I didn't think you were directing anything towards me.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: