42%  [ 9 ]
Mercury
57%
 57%  [ 12 ]
Total Votes : 21

Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 07/14/17 11:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It hasn't been too bad of a season so far, injury-wise, but tonight was a disaster.

PostPosted: 07/14/17 11:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I really hope BG is ok as well. The fact that she didn't come back to the bench has me worried. She has been having a great year and I would hate to see her seriously hurt and not able to play.

Sad

lynxmania

PostPosted: 07/14/17 11:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

14-2 is the Best Start in Franchise History! Not bad for a bunch of old ladies Wink

mercfan3

PostPosted: 07/15/17 12:11 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Brit Sad

Hoping she's okay. It didn't scream ACL to me, but there really wasn't a very good angle on it.

If she's out for any time, the Merc are beyond screwed. Granted, if we're lucky and it looked worse than it was..I'd still keep her out of next game, no matter what.

PostPosted: 07/15/17 2:30 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It's reached the point where Minnesota are going to be delighted if they see Phoenix yet again in the semis (or even, somehow, Finals) in the playoffs. They'd be much more scared of LA, Connecticut, Washington and maybe others. Phoenix might eventually grab a game off them here or there, but I find it really hard to see the Mercury having a prayer in a best-of-five.

PostPosted: 07/15/17 3:52 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

BG is expected to be out for 3-4 weeks due to a left knee bruise and right ankle sprain.

PostPosted: 07/15/17 4:48 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:
It hasn't been too bad of a season so far, injury-wise, but tonight was a disaster.

Indeed, last night was ridiculous with injuries around the league. It was very strange. I fell asleep watching this game and woke up to this:

http://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/wnba/mercury/2017/07/11/mercurys-diana-taurasi-selected-west-starter-wnba-all-star-game/466942001/

WfanFrJmp

PostPosted: 07/15/17 5:38 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Btw, where did they find this picture? Clearly they weren't actually at the game: https://twitter.com/TucsonSportsNow/status/886115190873497601

Isn't that Marie Ferdinand-Harris (former WNBA player) guarding Maya? Do better! Rolling Eyes Laughing

Does anyone else see "Carl Winslow" in the background? Very Happy

Admiral_Needa

PostPosted: 07/15/17 6:29 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WfanFrJmp wrote:
Luuuc wrote:

Indeed, last night was ridiculous with injuries around the league. It was very strange. I fell asleep watching this game and woke up to this:

http://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/wnba/mercury/2017/07/11/mercurys-diana-taurasi-selected-west-starter-wnba-all-star-game/466942001/

Tank Time... Idea Twisted Evil

Randy

PostPosted: 07/15/17 6:34 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The tank is going to crowded. Maybe the WNBA will do another mid-season draft rule change. Put 8 teams in the lottery and only the top 4 make the playoffs. Odds (worst to best 2 year record):

1. 40%
2. 20%
3. 10.%
4-8. 6%

I wouldn't care if they also allowed 5-8 in the playoffs, but seems odd to be in the playoffs and lottery at the same time. Would eliminate some of the late season tanking nonsense.

toad455

PostPosted: 07/15/17 7:18 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Griner out four weeks will certainly make them slip in the standings. Next weekend is the ASG, so for Phoenix & Washington it's a weekend without games.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Shades

PostPosted: 07/15/17 10:09 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Who will be Griner's All Star replacement? Does it have to be a true center? Harrison, perhaps?

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
toad455

PostPosted: 07/15/17 10:10 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Who will be Griner's All Star replacement? Does it have to be a true center? Harrison, perhaps?

She'll likely be named to the reserves. Let's see who gets picked first before seeing who should replace her. Same with Delle Donne, I doubt she plays.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
justintyme

PostPosted: 07/15/17 10:29 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:

It's Reeve's call. Brunson maybe?

PostPosted: 07/15/17 10:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

justintyme wrote:
Shades wrote:

It's Reeve's call. Brunson maybe?

Assuming it's the same procedure as in the past, the WNBA president determines the replacement—the coach only determines any replacement to the starting lineup, but Griner wasn't named a starter to begin with.

http://pr.nba.com/wnba-all-star-2015-riquna-williams-kayla-mcbride-jantel-lavender/

Huskie

PostPosted: 07/15/17 12:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So someone above mentioned the game being over by halftime. Indeed. Likely even before that. The Mercury looked hesitant, afraid of contact and when they did get a good look, they missed. Caune, mmaniac and I all left at halftime. To say the Lynx are in the Merc's head is a huge understatement. But ask Jim Pittman our GM, the team all loves each other and the locker room atmosphere is great! So, we have THAT! Rolling Eyes I have no idea what my point is. I'm just frustrated and saddened by BG's injury and all the other injuries from last night. Sad

PostPosted: 07/15/17 12:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Huskie wrote:
So someone above mentioned the game being over by halftime. Indeed. Likely even before that. The Mercury looked hesitant, afraid of contact and when they did get a good look, they missed. Caune, mmaniac and I all left at halftime. To say the Lynx are in the Merc's head is a huge understatement. But ask Jim Pittman our GM, the team all loves each other and the locker room atmosphere is great! So, we have THAT! Rolling Eyes I have no idea what my point is. I'm just frustrated and saddened by BG's injury and all the other injuries from last night. Sad

I agree with you. In my head, I keep remembering Coach Pernil (Was that how it was spelled) saying in 2013 that it was a mental thing that was effecting Phoenix against Minnesota. I felt like the Mercury had made a ton of headway with dealing with this in 2014/2015 But after that Game 2 loss in the 2015 Conference Semifinals, it has been downhill.

I believe that the key to beating a good/great team that has beaten you for so long, is 1. Believing that you can win and 2. Playing the matchup and not the name. Phoenix plays the name but not the matchup and THAT takes a toll before they even hit the court.

PostPosted: 07/15/17 1:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WfanFrJmp wrote:
Luuuc wrote:

Damit, I was hoping for good news on BG and this definantly is not good news! BG and Fowels again. The last time BG was hurt and not able to play was when Fowels messed up BG's eye. She was playing so well this year, better than she's ever played and this has to happen. She will probably lose her top scoring spot and her second place in being the MVP. The Merc will likely lose their 3rd place in the standings(unless DT goes on a tear) and even when BG comes back she probably won't be as good as she was before this injury cause she will be causious. Only 2 injuries and both in a tangle up with Fowels???

Huskie

PostPosted: 07/15/17 2:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SCook wrote:
Huskie wrote:

I agree with you. In my head, I keep remembering Coach Pernil (Was that how it was spelled) saying in 2013 that it was a mental thing that was effecting Phoenix against Minnesota. I felt like the Mercury had made a ton of headway with dealing with this in 2014/2015 But after that Game 2 loss in the 2015 Conference Semifinals, it has been downhill.

I believe that the key to beating a good/great team that has beaten you for so long, is 1. Believing that you can win and 2. Playing the matchup and not the name. Phoenix plays the name but not the matchup and THAT takes a toll before they even hit the court.

Pennell I believe is the spelling. Last I knew he had a collegiate HC position in Arkansas. He sure had an immediate impact for the positive. Krystal Thomas was still with the Mercury at the time. One of Pennell's assistants worked with her...on fundamentals and confidence. She sure looked so much better after that! And look at her now with the Mystics.

Sorry, I digress. Thanks for your post. Yes, they are in fact playing 'the team', not the match ups. I think there's a good deal of projecting going on. Thus the tentative, fearful play. They are IMO anticipating the refs/calls going against them. Just ball out!!!!

PostPosted: 07/15/17 2:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballgrl wrote:
WfanFrJmp wrote:
Luuuc wrote:

Damit, I was hoping for good news on BG and this definantly is not good news! BG and Fowels again. The last time BG was hurt and not able to play was when Fowels messed up BG's eye. She was playing so well this year, better than she's ever played and this has to happen. She will probably lose her top scoring spot and her second place in being the MVP. The Merc will likely lose their 3rd place in the standings(unless DT goes on a tear) and even when BG comes back she probably won't be as good as she was before this injury cause she will be causious. Only 2 injuries and both in a tangle up with Fowels???

I understand what you mean. This isn't great news but it is good news since she didn't tear anything or have an injure to that magnitude.

Looking at the Schedule and the projected month for BG's absense, she'd miss 8/9 games. Now, I don't think that she will miss the entire month but it really depends on her body and the training staff. However, Phoenix has 5 games against the East and 4 against the West.

PostPosted: 07/16/17 7:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballgrl wrote:
WfanFrJmp wrote:
Luuuc wrote:

Depending on how the rest of the players in the MVP running play in the next few games Brittney Griner may drop, but it will be highly unlikely she will lose the scoring lead, over the next 5 games if Nneka averages 30 points she will barely move in front of Brittney by .2 points and I don't see her averaging 30 points over the next 5 games. I think being the scoring leader will still play in favor of Brittney Griner, but given that people already had at least one player ahead of her, I don't see her moving in front of anyone unless those players just play so poorly over the next few weeks that they drop on there own.

Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 07/16/17 7:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I feel like right now, the biggest obstacle between BG and the MVP award is not her own numbers, but her head-to-head performances against Fowles. A good game tonight might have evened up that battle, but she no longer has that chance. So if it ends up a close race between those two as it currently is, that will be an easy point of difference for voters.

PostPosted: 07/16/17 7:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:
I feel like right now, the biggest obstacle between BG and the MVP award is not her own numbers, but her head-to-head performances against Fowles. A good game tonight might have evened up that battle, but she no longer has that chance. So if it ends up a close race between those two as it currently is, that will be an easy point of difference for voters.

The team record is going to be a big tiebreaker for a lot of people as well, barring a Lynx collapse.

And now with the injury, number of games played could be an issue, too.

PostPosted: 07/16/17 7:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:

Honestly, I don't even see that as being up for debate anymore either. Going by BG' s projected absence, she'll be back against Seattle or Washington, which gives her the game against Connecticut to be up for the game against Minnesota ( the team she got the 2 injuries against) and I feel that will loom large over her. However, I do think BG still gets the scoring title but it really depends on how long she's out.

PostPosted: 07/16/17 7:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
Luuuc wrote:

The team record is going to be a big tiebreaker for a lot of people as well, barring a Lynx collapse.

And now with the injury, number of games played could be an issue, too.

Yeah, the games missed looks likely to be around or greater than what most people seem to feel the limit is.
Team record ... maybe. I think voters would acknowledge that the Lynx being dominant is not just Syl. On the other hand, on the Merc side, if the record slips to .500 or below then it becomes hard to justify having an MVP on that team. But if it plummets and then gets restored to something respectable once BG returns it could actually work in her favour.
(way too many hypotheticals there I know)
Realistically it is now Syl's to lose.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: