RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums
 
Log in Register FAQ Memberlist Search RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index

2017 U23 Team
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
GlennMacGrady



Joined: 03 Jan 2005
Posts: 5136
Location: Heisenberg


Back to top
PostPosted: 07/13/17 3:01 pm    ::: 2017 U23 Team Reply Reply with quote

Forty players have been invited to try out for the inaugural U23 games in Tokyo this summer.

The US head coach is Jeff Walz and the "lead clinician" during training camp will be Geno Auriemma.

https://www.usab.com/news-events/news/2017/07/wu23-tc-roster.aspx

Quote:
Taking part in training camp will be: Kristine Anigwe (California/Phoenix, Ariz.); Ariel Atkins (Texas/Duncanville, Texas); Monique Billings (UCLA/Corona, Calif.); Erin Boley (Oregon/Hodgenville, Ky.); Kalani Brown (Baylor/Slidell, La.); Lexie Brown (Duke/Suwanee, Ga.); Tyra Buss (Indiana/Mt. Carmel, Ill.); Jordin Canada (UCLA/Los Angeles, Calif.); Natalie Chou (Baylor/Plano, Texas); Napheesa Collier (Connecticut/O’Fallon, Mo.); Sophie Cunningham (Missouri/Columbia, Mo.); Asia Durr (Louisville/ Douglasville, Ga.); Katelynn Flaherty (Michigan/Point Pleasant, N.J.); Channon Fluker (CSUN/Pasadena, Calif.); Rebecca Greenwell (Duke/Owensboro, Ky.); Linnae Harper (Ohio State/Chicago, Ill.); Myisha Hines-Allen (Louisville/Montclair, N.J.); Sabrina Ionescu (Oregon/Walnut Creek, Calif.); Marina Mabrey (Notre Dame/Belmar, N.J.); Tynice Martin (West Virginia/Atlanta, Ga.); Brooke McCarty (Texas/League City, Texas); Teaira McCowan (Mississippi State/Brenham, Texas); Brittany McPhee (Stanford/Normandy Park, Wash.); Kelsey Mitchell (Ohio State/Cincinnati, Ohio); Mariya Moore (Southern California/Hercules, Calif.); Jamie Nared (Tennessee/Portland, Ore.); Arike Ogunbowale (Notre Dame/Milwaukee, Wis.); Teniya Page (Penn State/Chicago, Ill.); Mercedes Russell (Tennessee/Springfield, Ore.); Katie Lou Samuelson (Connecticut/Huntington Beach, Calif.); Jessica Shepard (Notre Dame/ Fremont, Neb.); Kristen Simon (Southern California/Gardena, Calif.); Destiny Slocum (Oregon State/ Meridian, Idaho); Azurá Stevens (Connecticut/Raleigh, N.C.); Hallie Thome (Michigan/Chagrin Falls, Ohio); Victoria Vivians (Mississippi State/Carthage, Miss.); Jatarie White (Texas/Charlotte, N.C.); Gabby Williams (Connecticut/Sparks, Nev.); A’ja Wilson (South Carolina/Hopkins, S.C.); and Jackie Young (Notre Dame/Princeton, Ind.).


Since Kalani Brown, A'ja Wilson, KL Samuelson, Napheesa Collier, Gabby Williams and Kelsey Mitchell were 2017 WBCA first team AA's, it would probably be embarrassing for any of them not to make the team. Lexie Brown and Victoria Vivians were 2017 AP third team AA's.

I'm naturally rooting for the Magic Buss.
ArtBest23



Joined: 02 Jul 2013
Posts: 12984



Back to top
PostPosted: 07/13/17 5:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

As I understand it, the UConn players are going to the camp but aren't available to be selected because UConn is going on its quadrennial foreign boondoggle at the same time as the tournament.


calbearman76



Joined: 02 Nov 2009
Posts: 3221
Location: Carson City


Back to top
PostPosted: 07/13/17 5:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

For people that like pictures of the players, here is a link:

https://www.usab.com/womens/u23/roster.aspx


Of the 40 players the Pac-12 leads with 9 players from 6 schools. Notre Dame and Connecticut lead with 4 each and Texas has 3.

Complete list of conferences:

Pac 12 9 (6 schools)
ACC 8 (3)
SEC 6 (4)
Big 10 6 (4)
Big 12 6 (3)
AAC 4 (1)
Big West 1 (Channon Fluker from CSUN)


Jlcarter



Joined: 03 Jul 2013
Posts: 461



Back to top
PostPosted: 07/13/17 6:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I hope Russell and Nared make it.


GlennMacGrady



Joined: 03 Jan 2005
Posts: 5136
Location: Heisenberg


Back to top
PostPosted: 07/13/17 7:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
As I understand it, the UConn players are going to the camp but aren't available to be selected because UConn is going on its quadrennial foreign boondoggle at the same time as the tournament.


The UConn website confirms this.
awhom111



Joined: 19 Nov 2014
Posts: 2160



Back to top
PostPosted: 07/27/17 8:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Canada will pick from this roster and also send the same team to the World University Games:
http://www.basketball.ca/en/news-article/20-athletes-invited-to-attend-development-womens-national-team
5thmantheme



Joined: 11 Apr 2016
Posts: 406



Back to top
PostPosted: 07/28/17 2:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm curious about why the U23's in the WNBA weren't picked, like Brionna Jones will be U23 for the next year too. DDeShields is another.


ArtBest23



Joined: 02 Jul 2013
Posts: 12984



Back to top
PostPosted: 07/28/17 7:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

5thmantheme wrote:
I'm curious about why the U23's in the WNBA weren't picked, like Brionna Jones will be U23 for the next year too. DDeShields is another.


Well, the USAB release linked in the first post of this thread said "Athletes eligible for this team must be U.S. citizens who are 23 years old or younger and currently are freshmen, sophomores or juniors in college.". So I suspect that provides your answer.


ArtBest23



Joined: 02 Jul 2013
Posts: 12984



Back to top
PostPosted: 07/28/17 7:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It appears Lexie Brown, Marina Mabrey, and Katelynn Flaherty are the three who were part of the initial forty invited but aren't among the 37 in camp. Anyone know why for any of them?


awhom111



Joined: 19 Nov 2014
Posts: 2160



Back to top
PostPosted: 07/28/17 7:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

5thmantheme wrote:
I'm curious about why the U23's in the WNBA weren't picked, like Brionna Jones will be U23 for the next year too. DDeShields is another.


It's not supposed to be a competitive tournament or something. It's more of a reward for college players and a chance to get some more players exposure to USA and international basketball. Since USA Basketball was not responsible for a World University Games team, the eligibility rules for this team are basically the same (and self-imposed).

Brown is out due to academic commitments. Everyone enters the MMS program with different backgrounds so different students have differing levels of prerequisites they need to take care of before the Fall.
FrozenLVFan



Joined: 08 Jul 2014
Posts: 1089



Back to top
PostPosted: 07/29/17 1:19 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
5thmantheme wrote:
I'm curious about why the U23's in the WNBA weren't picked, like Brionna Jones will be U23 for the next year too. DDeShields is another.


Well, the USAB release linked in the first post of this thread said "Athletes eligible for this team must be U.S. citizens who are 23 years old or younger and currently are freshmen, sophomores or juniors in college.". So I suspect that provides your answer.


That must have meant FR/SO/JR's as of last year, because there are several SR's on that list, Russell, Nared, and Lexie Brown, for example.


ArtBest23



Joined: 02 Jul 2013
Posts: 12984



Back to top
PostPosted: 08/01/17 6:52 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Notre Dame yesterday said Mabrey is not participating because of an ankle injury.

That leaves Flaherty as the only unaccounted for.


ArtBest23



Joined: 02 Jul 2013
Posts: 12984



Back to top
PostPosted: 08/01/17 7:14 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Actually, there's one more MIA. Yesterday's release says they're down to 36, and the missing one appears to be Sophie Cunningham. Any news on why?

Well, at least their four training camp teams will be an even nine each now.


stever



Joined: 16 Nov 2004
Posts: 6567
Location: Ann Arbor


Back to top
PostPosted: 08/01/17 10:20 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
Actually, there's one more MIA. Yesterday's release says they're down to 36, and the missing one appears to be Sophie Cunningham. Any news on why?

Well, at least their four training camp teams will be an even nine each now.


http://www.columbiatribune.com/sports/20170731/sophie-cunningham-focused-on-health



_________________
Women's Basketball Daily
Celebrating the Women's Game Since 2005
WBBDaily Mobile Edition
ArtBest23



Joined: 02 Jul 2013
Posts: 12984



Back to top
PostPosted: 08/01/17 10:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Thanks. Any news re Katelynn Flaherty?


LibFan25



Joined: 01 Sep 2012
Posts: 538
Location: NY


Back to top
PostPosted: 08/01/17 1:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

@DougFeinberg 2h2 hours ago

Team 4: collier, Durr, Martin, McPhee, buss, young, Anigwe, Simon and Russell

@DougFeinberg 2h2 hours ago

Team 3: boley, greenwell, ionescu, Mitchell, Moore, page, Williams, Thome and Wilson

@DougFeinberg 2h2 hours ago

Team 2: Atkins, Chou, Hines-Allen, ogunbowale, Harper, Canada, mccowan, Stevens, Shepard

@DougFeinberg 2h2 hours ago

Team 1: billings, brown, fluker, McCarty, nared, Samuelson, slocum, Vivians, white

@DougFeinberg 2h2 hours ago

Teams made for U23 intrasquad tournament should be really competitive




Last edited by LibFan25 on 08/01/17 2:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
LibFan25



Joined: 01 Sep 2012
Posts: 538
Location: NY


Back to top
PostPosted: 08/01/17 1:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Follow Doug's twitter page @Dougfeinberg to get updates

team 3 is deadly with shooters


ArtBest23



Joined: 02 Jul 2013
Posts: 12984



Back to top
PostPosted: 08/01/17 3:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The bronze and gold medal games will be streamed live on Friday morning.

These look pretty balanced.


LibFan25



Joined: 01 Sep 2012
Posts: 538
Location: NY


Back to top
PostPosted: 08/01/17 7:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

@DougFeinberg 1h1 hour ago

The two @UCLAWBB players Jordin Canada and Monique Billings have been impressive in this game


@DougFeinberg 1h1 hour ago

I'm surprised more @WNBA teams aren't here for the training camp. It's one cost to see 35 of best college players


LibFan25



Joined: 01 Sep 2012
Posts: 538
Location: NY


Back to top
PostPosted: 08/01/17 7:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Eric‏ @nemchocke 1h1 hour ago

which teams are there?

@DougFeinberg
Replying to @nemchocke @WNBA

I've seen New York and LA


ArtBest23



Joined: 02 Jul 2013
Posts: 12984



Back to top
PostPosted: 08/01/17 9:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Article about today's games:

https://www.usab.com/news-events/news/2017/08/wu23-tc-feature-aug-1.aspx

I found Ionescu's quote curious. I don't think she gets it.

“I like being able to go out here and play a little more than just doing some skill stuff, just because everyone at this level is pretty good at the skill stuff."

Sounds like a comment expected from an AAU product. Hey Sabrina, regardless of what you think, they spend time drilling skill fundamentals because you and your teammates need the work and instruction.


ClayK



Joined: 11 Oct 2005
Posts: 9356



Back to top
PostPosted: 08/02/17 12:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
Article about today's games:

https://www.usab.com/news-events/news/2017/08/wu23-tc-feature-aug-1.aspx

I found Ionescu's quote curious. I don't think she gets it.

“I like being able to go out here and play a little more than just doing some skill stuff, just because everyone at this level is pretty good at the skill stuff."

Sounds like a comment expected from an AAU product. Hey Sabrina, regardless of what you think, they spend time drilling skill fundamentals because you and your teammates need the work and instruction.


I would agree at one level, but at another, not so much. The skill work at USA Basketball tends to be basic stuff, done by everyone at the same time.

The problem I see is that each player needs skill work in different areas, and generally very sophisticated, personal instruction.

In other words, working on the pullup elbow jumper might help a couple players, but the others need refinement in righthand layups from the left side, say, or form on reverse layups.

If USA Basketball could a) identify individual weaknesses and then b) have a coach work with players one-on-one on those weaknesses, then I agree that skill work would be valuable. But having everyone do a dribbling drill really doesn't accomplish much.



_________________
Oṃ Tāre Tuttāre Ture Svāhā
ArtBest23



Joined: 02 Jul 2013
Posts: 12984



Back to top
PostPosted: 08/02/17 12:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
Article about today's games:

https://www.usab.com/news-events/news/2017/08/wu23-tc-feature-aug-1.aspx

I found Ionescu's quote curious. I don't think she gets it.

“I like being able to go out here and play a little more than just doing some skill stuff, just because everyone at this level is pretty good at the skill stuff."

Sounds like a comment expected from an AAU product. Hey Sabrina, regardless of what you think, they spend time drilling skill fundamentals because you and your teammates need the work and instruction.


I would agree at one level, but at another, not so much. The skill work at USA Basketball tends to be basic stuff, done by everyone at the same time.

The problem I see is that each player needs skill work in different areas, and generally very sophisticated, personal instruction.

In other words, working on the pullup elbow jumper might help a couple players, but the others need refinement in righthand layups from the left side, say, or form on reverse layups.

If USA Basketball could a) identify individual weaknesses and then b) have a coach work with players one-on-one on those weaknesses, then I agree that skill work would be valuable. But having everyone do a dribbling drill really doesn't accomplish much.


Before you can do what you want done, everyone has to do the basic stuff so they can find out who can do what.

I just expect that we will see, once again, as we seem to see every time a USAB women's age bracket team hits the floor in recent years, that Ionescu's belief that "everyone at this level is pretty good at the skill stuff" is total bullshit.

Ionescu has probably believed she was "pretty good at the skill stuff" since she was in 3rd grade.


ArtBest23



Joined: 02 Jul 2013
Posts: 12984



Back to top
PostPosted: 08/02/17 3:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Recap of today's morning games. Team 2 continues to roll.

https://www.usab.com/news-events/news/2017/08/wu23-0802-morning.aspx


ClayK



Joined: 11 Oct 2005
Posts: 9356



Back to top
PostPosted: 08/02/17 5:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
ClayK wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
Article about today's games:

https://www.usab.com/news-events/news/2017/08/wu23-tc-feature-aug-1.aspx

I found Ionescu's quote curious. I don't think she gets it.

“I like being able to go out here and play a little more than just doing some skill stuff, just because everyone at this level is pretty good at the skill stuff."

Sounds like a comment expected from an AAU product. Hey Sabrina, regardless of what you think, they spend time drilling skill fundamentals because you and your teammates need the work and instruction.


I would agree at one level, but at another, not so much. The skill work at USA Basketball tends to be basic stuff, done by everyone at the same time.

The problem I see is that each player needs skill work in different areas, and generally very sophisticated, personal instruction.

In other words, working on the pullup elbow jumper might help a couple players, but the others need refinement in righthand layups from the left side, say, or form on reverse layups.

If USA Basketball could a) identify individual weaknesses and then b) have a coach work with players one-on-one on those weaknesses, then I agree that skill work would be valuable. But having everyone do a dribbling drill really doesn't accomplish much.


Before you can do what you want done, everyone has to do the basic stuff so they can find out who can do what.

I just expect that we will see, once again, as we seem to see every time a USAB women's age bracket team hits the floor in recent years, that Ionescu's belief that "everyone at this level is pretty good at the skill stuff" is total bullshit.

Ionescu has probably believed she was "pretty good at the skill stuff" since she was in 3rd grade.


And, as a matter of fact, she is. She is not the perfect player, of course, but the things she needs to work on are not dribbling or screening out, but individual and team defense, learning to play the angles more given her relative quickness, etc. But what would help her would not help an athletic player who maybe can't finish well with her left hand.

And most of these players have been in USA Basketball before, so presumably Carol Callan and staff have a good idea of their strengths and weaknesses.

My impression over the years of watching youth and high school basketball is that today's players in general are more fundamentally sound than those of 15 or 20 years ago (except for outside shooting). The floor, if you will, is higher in that regard, in part due to better coaching from the youth level on up (not saying it's good, necessarily, but it's better).

For example, in the past I would do a drill in "elite" camps (players who were looking at college) and make them convert a righthanded layup from the left side -- and many were simply helpless for several times through the line. Today, if I did that drill, most girls would handle that with no problem.



_________________
Oṃ Tāre Tuttāre Ture Svāhā
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB 2.0.17 © 2001- 2004 phpBB Group
phpBB Template by Vjacheslav Trushkin