RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Mid-Season WNBA Awards/Teams

View previous topic :: View next topic  
barryi22

PostPosted: 07/08/17 9:04 pm    ::: Mid-Season WNBA Awards/Teams Reply Reply with quote

We're about halfway through the season, so I figured I'd start a thread. Here would be my picks:

MVP: Sylvia Fowles, Minnesota...seems to be an obvious favorite at this point in the year. Minnesota is outstanding and Fowles has been their best player. Her numbers match up against anyone.

ROY: Alisha Gray, Dallas...another easy pick. Only rookie averaging double figures and has been a steady contributor.

COY: Cheryl Reeve, Minnesota...Curt Miller is my 2nd option, Connecticut has been a lot better than expected, but Minnesota at a dominant 13-1 earns Reeve my vote.

DPOY: Sylvia Fowles, Minnesota...among lead leaders in blocks and steals. She has always been a standout defensively.

MIP: Jonquel Jones, Connecticut...also tempted to go with Chelsea Gray who has been phenomenal, or even Jasmine Thomas who has been one of the top guards in the league this year, but Jones is proving to be the steal of the 2016 draft and a player Connecticut can build a franchise around.

6th Woman of the Year: Erica Wheeler, Indiana...not sure if she counts since she's started half of the games. Otherwise, Tiffany Mitchell or Leilani Mitchell could nab this award.

All WNBA Teams using the standard C/F/F/G/G layout:
1st Team:
C-Sylvia Fowles, Minnesota....no brainer here, the leading candidate for MVP right now.

Tina Charles, New York...the ever steady Charles is putting together another solid campaign for New York who is in line to make the playoffs

Nneka Ogwumike, LA....another year with stellar numbers for Nneka and her team is solidly in 2nd place for the league.

G-Skylar Diggins, Dallas...she's been arguably the best guard in the league this year. Very good numbers after a relatively slow start. Dallas should have a good shot to make the playoffs.

G-Chelsea Gray, LA....she's evolved into one of the best offensive guards in the league and is a major reason why LA has been the 2nd best team in the league.

2nd Team:
C-Brittany Griner, Phoenix...probably would finish #2 in MVP voting if it happened today, but the WNBA always sticks to its format, and there's no way you can sell either Big Syl or Griner as forwards.

Elena Delle Donne, Washington....she's transitioned nicely into her role at Washington and has them in line for a playoff berth.

Jonquel Jones, Connecticut....I was tempted to go with Parker or Stewart here, but Jones has had the best year out of 3. Really good inside out player who can dominate inside and is a good long range shooter. She has been the star on an overachieving Connecticut squad, definitely this year's breakout player.

G-Jasmine Thomas, Connecticut...did anyone ever think she'd become an All-WNBA caliber player in the pros? I sure as heck didn't. What a great season for Thomas. I almost went with Taurasi or Hayes, but Connecticut has the best record out of the 3, and Thomas is among lead leaders in steals, assists, 3pt% and is shooting the ball better than either Diana or Tiffany.

G-Maya Moore, Minnesota....she's having somewhat of an underwhelming year compared to what we've seen from Maya, but she's still the best offensive player on Minnesota. I could definitely see her rising to 1st team with a strong 2nd half of the season.

Just missed:
Candace Parker, Los Angeles...for all of the flack she got for last game (where she was quite bad), she has put together another really solid year being a primary ball handler and distributor for LA. Even if Gray and Nneka get All-WNBA nods ahead of Parker, Candace is still the most important player on that team.

G-Tiffany Hayes, Atlanta....noted above, she's starting to quiet down after a hot start for Atlanta. Really good year for Hayes who has developed into one of the stronger guards in the league.

G-Diana Taurasi, Phoenix....DT is having an off year by her standards, but is starting to come around and is still putting up 18ppg, good for 7th in the league. I expect her numbers will go up as the season continues. I could definitely see her making a team by the end of the year.

G-Sue Bird, Seattle.....I bet she finds a way onto a team again and individually she's having a good year, but Seattle has been a bit of a disappointment thus far. Currently out of a playoff spot despite having Stewart, Loyd and Bird.

G-Loyd, Seattle....same explanation as Sue Bird.

Michelle89

PostPosted: 07/09/17 7:16 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ive havent seen anything from Maya this season that says she is deserving of that 2nd all wnba team let alone the 1st team Rolling Eyes

She is shooting a career low from the field (under 40%) and her worst scoring year since her rookie season(15,4 pts per game)

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
toad455

PostPosted: 07/09/17 8:18 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

First Team:
G: Diggins-Smith
G: Hayes
F: Delle Donne
F: J Jones
C: Fowles

Second team:
G: J Thomas
G: C Gray
F: Ogwumike
F: Charles
C: Griner

All Rookie
G: A. Gray
G: Whitcomb
G: K. Davis
F: Sykes
F: Talbot

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
tfan

PostPosted: 07/09/17 10:42 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Wikipedia only has all-rookie team data since 2005, which could be when it started. That is the only year that the #1 pick (Janel McCarville) did not make the all-rookie team. Other years have had the Rookie of the Year not be the #1 pick:

Code:
Year ROY              #1 Pick
1998 Reid (#7)        Dydek
2000 Lennox (#6)      Wauters
2001 Stiles (#4)      Jackson
2002 Catchings        Bird
(injured in 2001 - #3)
2003 Ford (#3)        Thomas
2005 Johnson (#6)     McCarville
2007 Price (#3)       Harding
2013 Delle Donne (#2) Griner

Ay Mate

PostPosted: 07/09/17 10:47 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Michelle89 wrote:
Ive havent seen anything from Maya this season that says she is deserving of that 2nd all wnba team let alone the 1st team Rolling Eyes

She is shooting a career low from the field (under 40%) and her worst scoring year since her rookie season(15,4 pts per game)

I'd insert Alyssa Thomas in Moore's place.

pilight

PostPosted: 07/09/17 10:52 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
Wikipedia only has all-rookie team data since 2005, which could be when it started.

2005 was the first year of the All Rookie team

PostPosted: 07/09/17 11:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Positions requirements are BS. How it should be:

First Team:
Tina Charles
Elena Delle Donne
Sylvia Fowles
Brittney Griner
Nneka Ogwumike

Second Team:
Skylar Diggins-Smith
Tiffany Hayes
Chelsea Gray
Jonquel Jones
Breanna Stewart

Third Team:
Maya Moore
Candace Parker
Diana Taurasi
Jasmine Thomas
Alyssa Thomas

toad455

PostPosted: 07/10/17 7:47 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

There's no third team. Jonquel Jones is the second best player in the league this season, she needs to be on the first team. And yes, the first team could easily be made up of all posts this year.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 07/10/17 8:00 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
There's no third team. Jonquel Jones is the second best player in the league this season, she needs to be on the first team. And yes, the first team could easily be made up of all posts this year.

BG making a strong case for that position . Jonquel , BG & Big syl Top 3. Cant place them in order but id take BG & Big Syl over anybody .

PostPosted: 07/10/17 8:01 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Fowles and Griner have both been better then Jones

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
toad455

PostPosted: 07/10/17 8:11 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Jones has the edge over Fowles & Griner in rebounding. All three are equal defensively.

Shades

PostPosted: 07/10/17 8:24 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
All three are equal defensively.

Not in the real world.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
WNBA 09

PostPosted: 07/10/17 8:26 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
toad455 wrote:

Not in the real world.

That Part __________x

PostPosted: 07/10/17 11:17 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

BG is finally playing like she'e 6'8, she would be my pick for MVP.
ArtBest23

PostPosted: 07/10/17 1:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think the 1st team guards deserve to be Diggins-Smith and Jasmine Thomas.

Michelle89

PostPosted: 07/10/17 3:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
toad455 wrote:

Not in the real world.

Laughing I agree with Shades on this one. Jones is not even close defensively

tfan

PostPosted: 07/10/17 8:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Of those 3, only Jonquel Jones can dribble herself free at the three point line and then hit the shot.

Randy

PostPosted: 07/10/17 9:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Since when didn't rebounds count as part of defense? Jones grabs 19% more rpg than Fowles and 40% more RPG than Griner in fewer minutes per game. Also has more steals than Griner.

Michelle89

PostPosted: 07/11/17 12:17 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
Of those 3, only Jonquel Jones can dribble herself free at the three point line and then hit the shot.

Since when is that a requirement for a center Rolling Eyes We have enough powerforwards already that can do that.. Fowles and Griner are true low post centers

tfan

PostPosted: 07/11/17 12:34 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Michelle89 wrote:
tfan wrote:

Since when is that a requirement for a center Rolling Eyes We have enough power forwards already that can do that. Fowles and Griner are true low post centers

Aren't we picking MVP, not "best center"? Jones doesn't have the height and length of Griner or the muscle of Fowles, but she has better agility, skill, and coordination.

Michelle89

PostPosted: 07/11/17 2:45 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
Michelle89 wrote:
tfan wrote:

Since when is that a requirement for a center Rolling Eyes We have enough power forwards already that can do that. Fowles and Griner are true low post centers

Aren't we picking MVP, not "best center"? Jones doesn't have the height and length of Griner or the muscle of Fowles, but she has better agility, skill, and coordination.

Yes and shooting the 3 isnt a requirement for MVP either Wink Right now Fowles have been more valueable for their team then Jones IMO.

caune

PostPosted: 07/11/17 7:36 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

#Occasionalwnbafan wrote:
BG is finally playing like she'e 6'8, she would be my pick for MVP.

That's because they've upped her to 6'-9" Very Happy Very Happy Gave her some confidence Wink Wink

PostPosted: 07/11/17 8:13 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Michelle89 wrote:
Shades wrote:
toad455 wrote:

Not in the real world.

Laughing I agree with Shades on this one. Jones is not even close defensively

Same, lol.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: