RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

No job, no high school graduation

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pilight

PostPosted: 07/03/17 8:29 pm    ::: No job, no high school graduation Reply Reply with quote

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/education/chicago-wont-allow-high-school-students-to-graduate-without-a-plan-for-the-future/2017/07/03/ac197222-5111-11e7-91eb-9611861a988f_story.html

Quote:
To graduate from a public high school in Chicago, students will soon have to meet a new and unusual requirement: They must show that they’ve secured a job or received a letter of acceptance to college, a trade apprenticeship, a gap year program or the military.

PostPosted: 07/03/17 8:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yeah, I can see how that's going to get them sued.
tfan

PostPosted: 07/04/17 11:15 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

While it seems difficult for there to be as many jobs, particularly in a recession year,particulrly in poor areas of Chicago, as there are graduates - after thinking about it I like the idea because the difficulty should turn on some light bulbs. It forces the government to think about the ramifications of what they do. The counselors will notice that their high school students are competing for and sometimes losing out on entry-level jobs to immigrants and "the undocumented". The counselors will also notice that moving factories to China negatively impacts the ability of students to get jobs. And they will also notice that jobs in new places of employment in an area can go to people that move to the area. The "creating of jobs" didn't help the locals like it should have. More jobs just brought more people to the area to compete for them.

Queenie

PostPosted: 07/05/17 6:26 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
While it seems difficult for there to be as many jobs, particularly in a recession year,particulrly in poor areas of Chicago, as there are graduates - after thinking about it I like the idea because the difficulty should turn on some light bulbs. It forces the government to think about the ramifications of what they do. The counselors will notice that their high school students are competing for and sometimes losing out on entry-level jobs to immigrants and "the undocumented". The counselors will also notice that moving factories to China negatively impacts the ability of students to get jobs. And they will also notice that jobs in new places of employment in an area can go to people that move to the area. The "creating of jobs" didn't help the locals like it should have. More jobs just brought more people to the area to compete for them.

ahahahahaha counselors have I got a story for you. Now granted, this is third hand, but I believe the sources.

I went to a small, specialized public high school in New York City. Not one of the test-into schools, not necessarily nationally known. But somewhat selective.

Apparently, our guidance counselor suggested trade school to the girl who would become our salutatorian. She went to NYU instead. Last I heard, she was heading up a new department for a history museum down South.

And this was at a well-funded school where pretty much the entire graduating class did have a plan.

In Chicago? A system that has problems including funding? Do you really think there are enough counselors who give enough of a shit about actually helping their students to start trying to agitate for immigration reform in the hopes that maybe their kids will be lucky enough to get a shitty minimum wage job?

I think it's more likely it'll be along the lines of, "Here's what you have to do. We're not actually going to help you do it, but you have to do it." No help with college applications, either paying for them or advice on filling them out. No help with internships or job placement. I get the feeling a lot of Army brochures might get handed out, though.

PostPosted: 07/05/17 2:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
tfan wrote:

ahahahahaha counselors have I got a story for you. Now granted, this is third hand, but I believe the sources.

I went to a small, specialized public high school in New York City. Not one of the test-into schools, not necessarily nationally known. But somewhat selective.

Apparently, our guidance counselor suggested trade school to the girl who would become our salutatorian. She went to NYU instead. Last I heard, she was heading up a new department for a history museum down South.

And this was at a well-funded school where pretty much the entire graduating class did have a plan.

In Chicago? A system that has problems including funding? Do you really think there are enough counselors who give enough of a shit about actually helping their students to start trying to agitate for immigration reform in the hopes that maybe their kids will be lucky enough to get a shitty minimum wage job?

I think it's more likely it'll be along the lines of, "Here's what you have to do. We're not actually going to help you do it, but you have to do it." No help with college applications, either paying for them or advice on filling them out. No help with internships or job placement. I get the feeling a lot of Army brochures might get handed out, though.

That couldn't be farther from the truth in Chicago. I appreciate the experience you had, Queenie, but you couldn't be farther off base here.

Chicago high schools have had huge increases in college readiness and college going - both at two-year and four-year schools - in the past several years. This is pair with a massive increase in high school graduation rates, so Chicago high schools have actually be doing better with more students. Almost twice as many entering high school freshman ultimately go on to earn bachelors degrees than did a decade ago. This is an increase higher than most any other comparable city.

They pioneered methods to track students after high school to understand outcomes that many school districts and states now.

They developed systems to improve students' access to financial aid. This has been so successful that FAFSA completion increased from around 50% to more than 90% in four years. It has been so successful that the state might change eligibility because Chicago schools are much better at getting their applications in than downstate schools are.

The concept of college match basically originated in Chicago, and the district has made a lot of progress in students applying to and attending the more selective schools that are qualified to attend.

I have a lot of concerns about this new policy, and I actually am hoping that I will be part of the team does some follow up research on it. The mayor is trying to make policy by press release, and he and his team aren't working on the root causes of the problems students and graduates face. But Chicago schools are far from the hellhole that you believe them to be and many people make them out to be.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: