40%
 40%  [ 15 ]
Other
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 37

calbearman76

PostPosted: 08/08/23 1:12 am    ::: Article on Expansion Reply Reply with quote

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/other/report-eight-cities-are-being-considered-for-wnba-expansion-teams/ar-AA1eVRLc?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=17b669e9c23e4651a357246c23baa4dd&ei=44

Eight cities are listed. Who do you think will get the next team?

Note: I substituted Houston for Dallas as there is already a team in Arlington

johnjohnW

PostPosted: 08/08/23 6:18 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I voted Philly for selfish reasons but I do not think Philly will be in the next round, assuming we get 2 new teams.

Also, hot take but I don’t think SF is in the top 4. I don’t think Lacob is serious as he has had a long time and only made excuses and I also don’t think the Beard group has the boba fides to actually operate a team. We’ve seen a lot of good civic PR about it but how much capital does this group have? I don’t recall ever hearing much about who was in this group? I think them entering the fray has given Lacob another excuse (the optics of the W selecting him over the AASG, regardless of their financials, would look terrible). So I’d love to be surprised and see them emerge has a viable candidate but I am skeptical. The league, for better or worse, wants more Mark Davis’ and Joe Tsai’s as owners.

chadb

PostPosted: 08/08/23 11:56 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Also voted Philly but think there are better options (not sure Wells Fargo is the best sized for our team and not really any other options).

I like Nashville, Toronto and Denver myself

johnjohnW

PostPosted: 08/08/23 1:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

chadb wrote:
Also voted Philly but think there are better options (not sure Wells Fargo is the best sized for our team and not really any other options).

I like Nashville, Toronto and Denver myself

I used to live in the Camden waterfront area and would have selfishly been cool with doing what Washington did and have a small arena in Camden that functions as a practice facility for the 76ers lol

calbearman76

PostPosted: 08/08/23 7:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Perhaps it isn't realistic due its age, but I would love them to play at the Palestra. It is still one of the best places to watch basketball.

tfan

PostPosted: 08/08/23 11:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

calbearman76 wrote:
Perhaps it isn't realistic due its age, but I would love them to play at the Palestra. It is still one of the best places to watch basketball.

Even though I was in Northern New Jersey as a kid there was a broadcast station that would show college games from the Palestra. I remember the "Big 5" which has now added Drexel to make 6.

The Sky played at a college gym for a bit and now the Wings do, so there is precedence for a WNBA team in a college arena. They are better sized for the WNBA, but pro fans will knock older arenas.

tfan

PostPosted: 08/09/23 12:23 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The "Cities under consideration" should have some interested rich people or groups who want a team. But maybe there is a reason to not announce those who have interest?

WNBA expansion could come in 2025, but some players believe charter flights are more important

readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 08/09/23 11:06 am    ::: Re: Article on Expansion Reply Reply with quote

I voted Bay Area cuz that's what I want to happen. However, Alana (and thus the funding group) were caught up in the Silicon Valley Bank going under so I don't know how that will impact their ability to get all the funding lined up.

~rAf
johnjohnW

PostPosted: 08/14/23 5:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Cathy is visiting Denver and this article actually names names involved. This seems like one of the more legit options I’ve seen since it’s not just local government officials signing meaningless declarations.

https://www.denverpost.com/2023/08/14/denver-wnba-expansion-team-commissioner-visit/

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 08/15/23 10:48 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

johnjohnW wrote:
Cathy is visiting Denver and this article actually names names involved. This seems like one of the more legit options I’ve seen since it’s not just local government officials signing meaningless declarations.

https://www.denverpost.com/2023/08/14/denver-wnba-expansion-team-commissioner-visit/

Denver Rush ? Denver Diamonds ? Colorado Explosion revival ?

PostPosted: 08/15/23 11:58 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Colorado Chill

Denver Nuggettes

Denver Gold (potential uni designs here https://uni-watch.com/2021/04/15/the-wnba-expansion-project/ )

Centennial State Rush https://www.9news.com/article/sports/fair-game/denvers-wnba-future-is-in-maya-loughlins-plans/73-2a1e29fc-7b51-4a54-af83-6b40363b73b7

Denver Larks https://groundfloormedia.com/blog/2016/08/24/wnba-teams-deserve-better-logos/

Denver Glint https://boards.sportslogos.net/topic/111767-wnba-the-sister-league-131-milwaukee-bucksdoes/

PostPosted: 08/15/23 1:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://denvergazette.com/sports/denver-nuggets/nba-insider-colorado-ties-inducted-into-hall-of-fame-aaron-gordon-and-nikola-jokics-second/article_5480bda2-3af0-11ee-9e18-47f09e508920.html

Quote:
If Denver gets a WNBA team, the franchise will need a name. Here are my five favorites:

PostPosted: 08/15/23 2:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
https://denvergazette.com/sports/denver-nuggets/nba-insider-colorado-ties-inducted-into-hall-of-fame-aaron-gordon-and-nikola-jokics-second/article_5480bda2-3af0-11ee-9e18-47f09e508920.html

Quote:
If Denver gets a WNBA team, the franchise will need a name. Here are my five favorites:

1. Denver Blast
Not out of the question, I suppose. Here’s the logo I’ve come up with. I get copyrights now. 💥

2. Denver Hops
What does beer have to do with the WNBA, other than this author seems to be drinking it? He talks about dunker Fran Belibi being from Denver and how perfect that would all work out. Hello, Fran Belibi is never going to play in the WNBA. Stop drinking beer. 🍺

3. Denver 5280
Why does this author have to make things so complicated? Just call it the “Denver Mille”. It HAS to be the Denver Mile if the league goes to Denver. No, pilight, I don’t care if some racquetball team is already called that, it has to be the Denver Mile.

4. Denver Summit
No, no, no…. sounds too much like Pat Summitt. If Tennessee or Knoxville ever gets a team, we can call them the Summit or Summitt. Rocky Top?

5. Denver Cougars
Leave to a beer drinking guy like Vinny to come up with a name like this. The term often refers to older women who prefer younger partners. Maybe Sue Bird and Taurasi can lead this team?

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
jmvcity

PostPosted: 08/16/23 2:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Denver Nuggets and Chicken Fingers

J-Spoon

PostPosted: 08/16/23 5:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Denver High

Silky Johnson

PostPosted: 08/16/23 9:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The men's team was named in recognition of the Pike's Peak gold rush... Call them the Denver Rush.

My team no longer exists, so I'll have to settle for hating yours.
Queenie

PostPosted: 08/16/23 10:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Denver Rush sounds like the kind of abstract, non-plural, nebulously conceptual name that WNBA owners eat up with a spoon, so I'm going to second Silky on that.

PostPosted: 08/17/23 12:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:
Denver High

Winnnerrrrrr , Cheyenne Parker will be demanded a trade day one Laughing Laughing Shocked Shocked

PostPosted: 08/17/23 3:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Denver Omelette?

PostPosted: 08/17/23 6:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
Denver Rush sounds like the kind of abstract, non-plural, nebulously conceptual name that WNBA owners eat up with a spoon, so I'm going to second Silky on that.

+1 for the Rush

tfan

PostPosted: 08/18/23 12:47 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
WNBA commissioner Cathy Engelbert will visit Denver, Colorado on Wednesday to meet with investors and tour potential facilities as the city vies for an expansion team, according to the Denver Post.

I was ready to she doesn't need to inspect arenas since the Wings play in an old small arena. But it turns out College Park Center at the University of Texas Arlington has only been open since 2012. And it seats 7,000, which is bigger than I remembered.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 08/18/23 9:15 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
Quote:
WNBA commissioner Cathy Engelbert will visit Denver, Colorado on Wednesday to meet with investors and tour potential facilities as the city vies for an expansion team, according to the Denver Post.

I was ready to she doesn't need to inspect arenas since the Wings play in an old small arena. But it turns out College Park Center at the University of Texas Arlington has only been open since 2012. And it seats 7,000, which is bigger than I remembered.

Reallly......the smallest arena in the league is in DC and yet you chose to shoot shots at Dallas because of what again ? Check the attendance thanks Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: 08/18/23 11:06 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:
Denver High

Laughing

That would work if they can get Willie Nelson, Snoop Dogg, Martha Stewart, Lady Gaga, and Wiz Khalifa to be part of the team's ownership group! Cool

PostPosted: 08/18/23 1:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Reportedly they looked at Ball Arena, where the Nuggets play, and Magness Arena, home of the Denver University Pioneers. Ball seats 18000, Magness 7200.

PostPosted: 08/18/23 3:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
tfan wrote:

Reallly......the smallest arena in the league is in DC and yet you chose to shoot shots at Dallas because of what again ? Check the attendance thanks :roll:

The smallest venue in the league is, in fact, in Atlanta. And my interpretation of the so-called "shot" was that it was more about the mistaken belief that the venue was old than it was about it being too small.

Also, and I understand that 'team-first' fans are always going to stand up for their teams, but Wings fans seem to be hyper-defensive about their team, in a way that is unique to them, and I find myself wondering what that's about?

My team no longer exists, so I'll have to settle for hating yours.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: