RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Commissioner Year-End Review: 2023

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Which of the following best describes how you feel about the job Engelbert's done up to this point?
I approve of her
53%
 53%  [ 17 ]
I have mixed feelings about her, but she should keep her job
31%
 31%  [ 10 ]
No strong feelings; I don't really care if she stays or goes
15%
 15%  [ 5 ]
I disapprove of her; The league needs a new Commissioner ASAP
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 32

Stormeo

PostPosted: 12/17/23 3:00 pm    ::: Commissioner Year-End Review: 2023 Reply Reply with quote

you can take just this year into account when answering, or you can take the whole of her tenure into account when answering

the poll will last through New Years Day

tbinta

PostPosted: 12/17/23 6:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It doesn’t matter who is the commish…they are just figure heads…

PostPosted: 12/19/23 3:23 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tbinta wrote:
It doesn’t matter who is the commish…they are just figure heads…

I have a differing viewpoint. I think this commish is the best we've had. She's smart - both financially and culturally and committed to changing the perception of women athletes. She's also encouraged a further embracing of same gender relationships among players and fans. All athletes have the green light on announcing marriages and having kids with a same gender partner.

But, it's her financial background and connections that are really making a difference. She's smart about finding TV & streaming deals plus sponsorships. All of this is making a difference.

Can you imagine even 5 years ago, the WNBA encouraging Candace Parker to tell her whole story of marrying and now having two babies with a female partner? Candace is out there with the guys talking NBA hoops, and was in the WNBA as a married straight player and now a player in a same gender marriage. Same person.

Of course, partly that's a result of cultural changes outside basketball, but it's also occurring when we have the most polarized and vocal opponents passing anti lgbtq legislation left and right. The commish helps set the tone - and if she's good at it, brings along the doubters.

~rAf
johnjohnW

PostPosted: 12/19/23 7:54 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Englebert is the best leader this league has ever had and it’s not even remotely close.

Silky Johnson

PostPosted: 12/19/23 1:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

readyAIMfire53 wrote:
Of course, partly that's a result of cultural changes outside basketball, but it's also occurring when we have the most polarized and vocal opponents passing anti lgbtq legislation left and right. The commish helps set the tone - and if she's good at it, brings along the doubters.

A good commissioner is like a good coach: they'll help make a bad organization/team good, and a good organization/team better. A merely competent commissioner might not have any material impact one way or the other, but a bad commissioner can definitely make things actively worse.

My team no longer exists, so I'll have to settle for hating yours.
Queenie

PostPosted: 12/20/23 11:47 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think she's made decisions that are obnoxious on a micro level (the mess around Chicago All-Star still rankles) but are good on a macro level (actually getting an expansion team and making it clear that expansion franchises have to be on solid ground, and a broad-spectrum set of TV deals, come to mind immediately). While I would like for her to have someone who can point out "hey, you might be alienating fans here" for the small stuff, I'm coming around to her big-picture view.

(now with spelling variations)
StevenHW

PostPosted: 12/20/23 5:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

For me, grading a league commissioner (in any pro sports league) is difficult to judge because the commissioner is at the mercy of the "board of governors", which is actually the team's owners, collectively speaking.

Having said that, Englebert is not the best one the WNBA ever had, but she isn't the worst either...yet.

To me, the best one the W had is still the first one: Val Ackerman.

The worst, Laurel Ritchie, or possibly, Donna Orender.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: