RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Washington Mystics 2024
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Admiral_Needa

PostPosted: 09/19/23 8:27 pm    ::: Washington Mystics 2024 Reply Reply with quote

Good run this year Exclamation At the beginning of the season, I said they're a great team, but not a superteam, and superteams generally win championships. Of course, the Mystics won their last championship going against superteams, so there was reason to be optimistic. Should WAS just load up for next year, and if so, who should they add? Or should they just work on getting back to their razor-sharp execution that has been a mainstay for so long? Question All those Game 2 turnovers... Confused

Silky Johnson

PostPosted: 09/19/23 8:46 pm    ::: Re: Washington Mystics 2024 Reply Reply with quote

Admiral_Needa wrote:
Of course, the Mystics won their last championship going against superteams...

"Superteams?" The Mystics won a championship because 1) Bird and Stewart took the year off, 2) The Lynx all decided to retire at the same time, and 3) Moriah Jefferson torpedoed McCoughtry's knee (and essentially ended her career, 2020 notwithstanding). What "superteam" did they beat?

My team no longer exists, so I'll have to settle for hating yours.
Admiral_Needa

PostPosted: 09/19/23 8:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The Aces, for one.. Idea

pilight

PostPosted: 09/19/23 9:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Admiral_Needa wrote:
The Aces, for one.. Idea

The 2019 Aces? With rookie Jackie Young unable to shoot straight and no point guard in sight? Not soup yet.

PostPosted: 09/19/23 9:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
Las Vegas Aces favored to win 2019 WNBA championship

https://www.reviewjournal.com/sports/betting/las-vegas-aces-favored-to-win-2019-wnba-championship-1671067/

Idea

Rock Hard

PostPosted: 09/19/23 9:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Admiral_Needa wrote:
The Aces, for one.. Idea

The 2019 Aces? With rookie Jackie Young unable to shoot straight and no point guard in sight? Not soup yet.
😁

PostPosted: 09/19/23 9:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Admiral_Needa wrote:
The Aces, for one.. :idea:

I was told by Applecare that Liz Cambage made every team she was ever on worse. But, I guess when narrative requires, she helps make a team "super."

My team no longer exists, so I'll have to settle for hating yours.
readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 09/19/23 10:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

What do Mystics need?

1. Backup Center the coach trusts to put on the floor
2. Cloud needs to be super maxed
3. EDD needs to accept less than the max since she hasn't been able to play at that level. Who knows if she can return to that?
4. Height. The team needs taller players on the floor.
5. I don't know if Eric can coach or not. Mystics need a less injury plagued season to find out. I do know that a rookie coach + most injuries in the league = out of playoffs Round 1.
6. Toliver was supposed to be backup PG but barely played. The Cloud/Sykes combo worked because they were the only two players healthy all season.
7. GET YOUNGER. No more older, injury prone players.

~rAf
J-Spoon

PostPosted: 09/20/23 1:12 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Does Washington just run it back

if so they re-sign EDD and Cloud (EDD and Cloud made about 415k in 23) at similar rates maybe Cloud makes a little more next year EDD makes a little less but still clock in at say 420k between them that leaves Washington with just enough to add their first round pick #6 a vet minimum and a minimum/minimum

so something like

Cloud
Atkins/SWK
Sykes
EDD/MHA
Austin/Egbo

#6 (if everyone comes out)
Cardosa, Reese, R. Jackson , A. Edwards, A. Lee

vet min
L. Allen, R. Allen, Carelton, Clarendon, Gustafson, someone I am forgetting

min/min
Li Meng, A. Meyers, Engstler, A. Joens, Kar. Samuelson, Westbrook, Henderson, Miksell or out of league camp invites

If everyone stays healthy and they hit it with the right first round pick Washington will be right where they are now low level contender I would stay the course and hope the injury bug stays away, if things fall apart in 24 they can rebuild for the future in 2025 when they will have more cap and roster flexibility.

tfan

PostPosted: 09/20/23 2:13 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think they just need to stay healthy. They beat New York a few times this year and could have won today. And they didn't have Shakira Austin.

zune69

PostPosted: 09/20/23 5:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

* The Mystics need to stay healthy.
* EDD needs to take less
* Supermaxing Cloud would be stupid.....Offer Cloud a take it or leave it 200k...If she says no, go sign SDS......Like really?... When did Cloud become a supermax player?

A healthy Mystics team is a title contender.

johnjohnW

PostPosted: 09/20/23 6:41 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It would be interesting to see SDS on the Mystics. She would end up being on a team with both of the other Three To See from her draft class.

readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 09/20/23 11:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

zune69 wrote:
* The Mystics need to stay healthy.
* EDD needs to take less
* Supermaxing Cloud would be stupid.....Offer Cloud a take it or leave it 200k...If she says no, go sign SDS......Like really?... When did Cloud become a supermax player?

A healthy Mystics team is a title contender.

Humongously hard NO to SDS in DC! Mystics are a no drama team while SDS is all about the drama. Most talented of the "all drama" players but one bad apple can spoil the whole barrel.

~rAf
pilight

PostPosted: 09/20/23 12:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Despite rAf's Osmond hatred, "running it back" for a team that got the #7 seed and was swept out of the first round doesn't seem like a good plan.

Cloud's post-game comments didn't sound like somebody planning to be back in DC. EDD will be good for 20-25 games.

PostPosted: 09/20/23 12:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Despite rAf's Osmond hatred, "running it back" for a team that got the #7 seed and was swept out of the first round doesn't seem like a good plan.

Cloud's post-game comments didn't sound like somebody planning to be back in DC. EDD will be good for 20-25 games.

What did Cloud say?

PostPosted: 09/20/23 12:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If I was DC I would seriously consider letting EDD go (or low-balling her to call her bluff about only wanting to play in DC). Since winning the championship in 2019, she has played a total of 51 games. I understand she has health issues, and I am not criticizing her, but you can't build a team around a player who is unable to play so much.

At 34, there is no reason to expect her health or her performance to improve (or even stay at a consistent level) over the next few years. This year, when she did play, she scored 16.7 PPP. That's good, but it's not elite. Had she played enough games for the official rankings, it would have put her at 17th in the league - right between Sabrina Ionescu and Natasha Howard.

The name may be worse without her, but it's not going to improve with her at the center at this point.

pilight

PostPosted: 09/20/23 1:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

adamj95 wrote:
pilight wrote:

What did Cloud say?

https://twitter.com/WNBA/status/1704566964667170868

Lots of past tense when talking about the Mystics

PostPosted: 09/20/23 2:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
adamj95 wrote:
pilight wrote:

What did Cloud say?

https://twitter.com/WNBA/status/1704566964667170868

Lots of past tense when talking about the Mystics

That’s your proof that she wants to go? It’s very weak. To me, it supports that she would like to stay, but it’s a contract year, so best pay up. I also believe at that moment she’s understandably affected by the outcome of the game. Even though she played a great game, the inbound pass she threw way out of reach of Sykes choked away the game. So maybe she’s feeling a little unwanted in her mind. My call is if the Mystics want her, she’ll be there.

I think she’d be perfect for Minnesota. She’s everything Reeve wants in a PG: Nice size and strength, strong leadership, plays some defense, not injury prone, plus she’s a shoota! Sign her up, Reeve!

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
johnjohnW

PostPosted: 09/20/23 2:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:

That’s because Cloud’s gonna play for the Philly expansion team! Laughing

J-Spoon

PostPosted: 09/20/23 2:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think Washington should bring back Cloud

If Cloud is open to other places I think she would be great in Atlanta I would also agree that Minny would be helped a lot by Cloud. (Honestly Cloud is the type of player that could fit with anyone Dallas would be a true contender if they could keep their core and add Cloud as well, however I am not sure Dallas can afford to pay Cloud after they pay Sabally).

pilight

PostPosted: 09/20/23 5:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
This year, when she did play, she scored 16.7 PPP. That's good, but it's not elite. Had she played enough games for the official rankings, it would have put her at 17th in the league - right between Sabrina Ionescu and Natasha Howard.

That would definitely be sufficient to merit a max contract if she could play full time

PostPosted: 09/20/23 8:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
PUmatty wrote:
This year, when she did play, she scored 16.7 PPP. That's good, but it's not elite. Had she played enough games for the official rankings, it would have put her at 17th in the league - right between Sabrina Ionescu and Natasha Howard.

That would definitely be sufficient to merit a max contract if she could play full time

It would. But she hasn't played a full season in four years.

tfan

PostPosted: 09/20/23 8:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
"running it back" for a team that got the #7 seed and was swept out of the first round doesn't seem like a good plan.

They had a lot of injuries so their record is worse than it would have been with a healthy team. Now it may be that Delle Donne will never be healthy but she does seem to make it for the playoffs.

Not swept as in the NBA playoffs where there will be at least two games on your home court. Swept as in WNBA mini playoffs: lost two away games, one of which went to overtime. And to a super team.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 09/21/23 9:29 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:

I pray we make a good pitch at her we would love to have her down south as our PG.

PostPosted: 09/21/23 10:17 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't think there is a scenario where the Mystics don't attempt to bring Cloud back. I think the question is whether she wants to come back. She has been so involved in the community that my gut says she will be back, but I also could see her thinking this team has hit its ceiling and if she wants a title, she might need to look elsewhere.

I don't know what the Mystics will do in the offseason but I do think this is the most interesting offseason they've had in several seasons. I think the title window with this group has closed, personally -- 2019 will have been five seasons ago next season, and that team also had a much better version of Kristi Toliver, not to mention a super sub in (the 2019 version of) Aerial Powers, not to mention Emma Meesseman, whom everyone seems to forget about.

I like the loyalty shown to players like Shatori Walker-Kimbrough and Tianna Hawkins, but it might be time to start looking to get a little younger and/or for more players who could develop into starters in the future. And I hope there is no waste of a roster spot next season like we had with KT this year and Rui Machida last year. I would also consider trying to move Myisha Hines-Allen but I don't think anyone is going to take the bait on her contract. Perhaps she can have a bounce back year next year, but she's still earning money from her breakout Wubble season when we haven't seen anything like that play from her since.

Mike definitely has some work to do and it will be interesting to watch it all play out.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: