RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Most Improved Since College?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 06/25/17 10:34 pm    ::: Most Improved Since College? Reply Reply with quote

Who are your candidates for MISC? It can be a player with any number of years in the WNBA.

I thought of this topic while watching Allie Quigley both in the W the past few years and a few overseas games. She's my nominee.
Jet Jaguar

PostPosted: 06/26/17 12:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sugar Rodgers. After seeing her play in college a few times, I never thought she'd be anything in the WNBA at all.

PostPosted: 06/26/17 5:20 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Jet Jaguar wrote:
Sugar Rodgers. After seeing her play in college a few times, I never thought she'd be anything in the WNBA at all.

As a big east fan I can second this...she's learned some major D and really was a success story for player development. Gtown sugar was a complete chucker lol

PostPosted: 06/26/17 5:58 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Alysha Clark. Considering her college days & even her early days in the league, I never would have thought she'd still be around 8 years later.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
tfan

PostPosted: 06/26/17 6:04 am    ::: Re: Most Improved Since College? Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
Who are your candidates for MISC?

Is the comparison how they played in college versus now, or how they played in their initial season in the WNBA versus now?

Randy

PostPosted: 06/26/17 7:52 am    ::: Re: Most Improved Since College? Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:

Is the comparison how they played in college versus now, or how they played in their initial season in the WNBA versus now?

It's Glenn's question but I think it makes more sense to interpret it as who improved most starting with their rookie year. Most the WNBA players were stars in college. I'd nominate Clarendon - she was pretty terrible in her first few years but has worked hard to improve.

If it is who improved much since they were in college I'd vote for Stokes and Chong. They hardly played in college.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 06/26/17 8:52 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Karima Christmas Kelly

PostPosted: 06/26/17 9:47 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Plaisance, never thought she would be a decent-ish starter in the w during her LSU days.
Stokes and Chong would have played way more if they went somewhere other than UCONN.

ucbart

PostPosted: 06/26/17 10:44 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

blaase22 wrote:
Plaisance, never thought she would be a decent-ish starter in the w during her LSU days.
Stokes and Chong would have played way more if they went somewhere other than UCONN.

Yes. But would they have been as prepared?

myrtle

PostPosted: 06/26/17 11:01 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Everyone mentioned! It's so nice to see kids succeed based on a lot of hard work...and also they landed in situations which allowed them the time to improve.

I think my vote would be Alysha Clark. Transforming her game from a down low post player at a mid-major to becoming a decent three has been awesome to watch.

- Amanda Gorman
GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 06/26/17 11:41 am    ::: Re: Most Improved Since College? Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
tfan wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:

It's Glenn's question but I think it makes more sense to interpret it as who improved most starting with their rookie year. Most the WNBA players were stars in college. I'd nominate Clarendon - she was pretty terrible in her first few years but has worked hard to improve.

If it is who improved much since they were in college I'd vote for Stokes and Chong. They hardly played in college.

That's a subtlety I didn't have in mind. In a sense, most players who are in the WNBA were "stars" on their team, but they many not have been stars in the national sense such as AA's.

The essence of the topic is who do we think has a much higher quality of play now than our impression of them as their final college year ended. The question, naturally, is partially objective and partially subjective. All the candidates so far seem reasonable.
dtbtbtb

PostPosted: 06/26/17 3:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Glory Johnson is a way better player in the WNBA than she was in college

Shades

PostPosted: 06/26/17 3:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Poison Pill is ballin' out this year

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
WNBA 09

PostPosted: 06/26/17 3:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dtbtbtb wrote:

Is She really ? Or has she adjusted to the speed of play and stayed erratic ? Just asking for a friend

PostPosted: 06/26/17 4:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
dtbtbtb wrote:

Is She really ? Or has she adjusted to the speed of play and stayed erratic ? Just asking for a friend

Still erratic at times but is doing much better at being under control when she drives.

Michelle89

PostPosted: 06/27/17 12:16 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

shontay33 wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
dtbtbtb wrote:

Still erratic at times but is doing much better at being under control when she drives.

Maybe this season but before this season she was considered overrated by many

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
toad455

PostPosted: 06/27/17 5:46 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Poison Pill is ballin' out this year

I agree about Wheeler. Watching her during her days at Rutgers and didn't think she was a WNBA type of player. Glad to have another RU player reach success in the league.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
ArtBest23

PostPosted: 06/27/17 10:23 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think Kiah Stokes wins this prize.

I wasn't surprised Sugar Rodgers can score. She gets half credit for learning to play defense.

blaase22 wrote:

So what? You could make that statement about anyone playing at any big school. There's always somewhere they could have gone and played more.

tfan

PostPosted: 06/27/17 1:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:

I wasn't surprised Sugar Rodgers can score. She gets half credit for learning to play defense.

blaase22 wrote:

So what? You could make that statement about anyone playing at any big school. There's always somewhere they could have gone and played more.

Where could Kelsey Plum have gone and played more?

I think Chong and Stokes would be the best guesses to "which two WNBA players played the fewest minutes in college?"

Last edited by tfan on 06/27/17 1:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
ArtBest23

PostPosted: 06/27/17 1:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:

blaase22 wrote:

Plum ranked 17th in mpg last year. So it seems there's at least 16 possibilities of coaches willing to play their players more minutes than the coach at Washington was. There's probably more coaches than that who would if they had a player like Plum.

tfan

PostPosted: 06/27/17 1:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
tfan wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:

blaase22 wrote:

Plum ranked 17th in mpg last year. So it seems there's at least 16 possibilities of coaches willing to play their players more minutes than the coach at Washington was. There's probably more coaches than that who would if they had a player like Plum.

But you do get the point right - Chong and Stokes played a surprisingly low amount of minutes in college for someone with WNBA level talent. So low that people disregard them. Then when they get rotation time in a 12-team league, people mentally elevate their abilities in their minds because they have now come on the radar.

auntie

PostPosted: 06/27/17 6:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The responses have been focused on current players, which is fine. If there was a thread for all time best player after college, there would be many candidates. Becky Hammon comes to mind.

PostPosted: 06/27/17 7:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

auntie wrote:
The responses have been focused on current players, which is fine. If there was a thread for all time best player after college, there would be many candidates. Becky Hammon comes to mind.

Becky Hammon was a great college player. She was first team All American and a Naismith finalist.

PostPosted: 06/27/17 9:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Would Tiff Hayes make the list?

I always thought she was good, but did people think she would step up like she has in the absence of Angel? Or possibly falter going with the theory that she was able to do what she did because teams were focused on Angel?

pilight

PostPosted: 06/30/17 8:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
Alysha Clark. Considering her college days & even her early days in the league, I never would have thought she'd still be around 8 years later.

Her college days when she led the nation in scoring?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: