RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums
 
Log in Register FAQ Memberlist Search RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index

Tyler Summitt update
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
NoDakSt



Joined: 26 Oct 2005
Posts: 3424
Location: Attilan


Back to top
PostPosted: 06/21/17 5:15 pm    ::: Tyler Summitt update Reply Reply with quote

Living another life.

http://www.knoxnews.com/story/sports/college/university-of-tennessee/womens-basketball/2017/06/21/pat-summitt-son-tyler-summitt-living-other-life-after-mothers-death-his-resignation/414447001/



_________________
Free your mind and your ass will follow.
Youth Coach



Joined: 23 Mar 2008
Posts: 4275



Back to top
PostPosted: 06/21/17 6:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Interesting read.

I haven't read much about him since the disastrous conclusion to his coaching career so this is the first I've seen that his wife divorced him. Can't say that I'm surprised.

And even though in my case it is infinitely less complicated, from my own experience, managing an estate is a series of never ending complications. I can only imagine what it must be like to deal with the issues he has to face with his mother's estate.

By the way, has anything more been written about the player he had an affair with?
Ay Mate



Joined: 12 Nov 2016
Posts: 867



Back to top
PostPosted: 06/21/17 7:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Douche bag


Happycappie25



Joined: 07 Feb 2006
Posts: 3884
Location: QUEENS!!!!


Back to top
PostPosted: 06/21/17 7:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm glad having to manage the vast Estate of his mother has given him purpose...and that his wife did leave him...hope it gives him a good life...

AWAY

FROM

BASKETBALL

FOR

ALL

GOOD

TIME


What he did is an unforgivable sin...PERIOD

Never was 100% comfortable about Pokey in the W

And I have been adamant about Cheryl Miller and HOFNL

Good luck out of basketball...you've done enough to earn that

But unless its in the last row of the upper deck of Thompson Bolling with your kids, a tray of hot dogs 2 cokes and a beer don't go NEAR a WBB game again!



_________________
"Leave it to the NCAA women's basketball committee to turn a glass slipper into glass ceiling" Graham Hays
Howee



Joined: 27 Nov 2009
Posts: 10701
Location: Oklahoma (in my heart)


Back to top
PostPosted: 06/21/17 10:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

'What he did is an unforgivable sin...PERIOD"

Nah.

"Not Cool" Definitely. "Dastardly", even. But....in the course of Human Events For All Time, there's much worse than the human frailty of loving the wrong person. And for all his wealth, he'll never really pay THAT debt in his lifetime, thanks to his high-profile childhood/upbringing.



_________________
Oklahoma: Go Sooners!

<--Maddie Manning, Sooner Extraordinaire
Youth Coach



Joined: 23 Mar 2008
Posts: 4275



Back to top
PostPosted: 06/22/17 6:25 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
'What he did is an unforgivable sin...PERIOD"

Nah.

"Not Cool" Definitely. "Dastardly", even. But....in the course of Human Events For All Time, there's much worse than the human frailty of loving the wrong person. And for all his wealth, he'll never really pay THAT debt in his lifetime, thanks to his high-profile childhood/upbringing.


In the course of human events, no it isn't the worst thing ever.

But confining the viewpoint to the world of basketball, it really is unforgivable.
summertime blues



Joined: 16 Apr 2013
Posts: 4223
Location: Shenandoah Valley


Back to top
PostPosted: 06/22/17 11:30 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Some of you people (hot naming names) are sorely lacking in compassion and quick to throw stones.

I read the article several times and I have to say it made me bot smile and sigh a little. First of all, let me say that I knew Tyler somewhat from the time he was a little boy. Not closely, but to a degree, because my father was on the athletic board for a time and therefore we were around various coaches and their families. I always kind of felt sorry for the football and basketball coaches' kids, and Tyler in particular, because in Knoxville it was like being a movie star's kid--you weren't allowed to make any mistakes, and God help you if you did! For Tyler it was worse, because his mom was a national figure. Being around him occasionally while he was growing up, I can say that he was always a nice kid, very polite, with a bit of his mom's sense of humor, and fun to be around. In retrospect, I would say that he was handed opportunities before he was emotionally and psychologically ready for them, which happens to many young people who are scions of the famous and NOT just in the sports world; it happens in business, in film, and in a lot of other fields. Unfortunately for Tyler, he was right square in the spotlight, just like a movie star's kid. And even though he did a lot of things right in one area, he made some really bad decisions--really immature, stupid, bad decisions--that forever affected the course of his life and most likely those of some others too. Other people have made those kinds of stupid, immature, horrible decisions at that age without being called out by thousands, but other people haven't been Tyler Summitt...so of course other people can be forgiven eventually. Tyler is doing the best he can to make amends, live quietly, and change his life. He recognizes his mistakes. He's trying to get on with his life. The rest of you should do the same.

Oh, and for you happy little rumormongers, I hope you noticed the sentence in the article concerning fact that he is NOT a father. And as for the former player, you should leave HER alone too!



_________________
Don't take life so serious. It ain't nohows permanent.
It takes 3 years to build a team and 7 to build a program.
linkster



Joined: 27 Jul 2012
Posts: 2764



Back to top
PostPosted: 06/22/17 1:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Tyler is a victim of the doting adulation heaped upon him his whole life by LV nation. He was born and raised with the basketball equivalent of a silver spoon in his mouth and he took all that and flushed it down the toilet. The (IMO) excessive condemnation hurled at him now is in large part backlash from the excessive praise he received when he got his first job and then landed a HC job after one year as an assistant.

LV nation was ready to crown him as his mother's successor but right now I'd say he is better suited to succeed Jimmy Swaggart.

200K a year for the rest of his life should temper his pain. Rolling Eyes


PlayBally'all



Joined: 17 Oct 2013
Posts: 210



Back to top
PostPosted: 06/29/17 12:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Happycappie25 wrote:
I'm glad having to manage the vast Estate of his mother has given him purpose...and that his wife did leave him...hope it gives him a good life...

AWAY

FROM

BASKETBALL

FOR

ALL

GOOD

TIME


What he did is an unforgivable sin...PERIOD

Never was 100% comfortable about Pokey in the W

And I have been adamant about Cheryl Miller and HOFNL

Good luck out of basketball...you've done enough to earn that

But unless its in the last row of the upper deck of Thompson Bolling with your kids, a tray of hot dogs 2 cokes and a beer don't go NEAR a WBB game again!


Ridiculous is acting as though what took place is unforgivable. He had consensual sex with another adult while being married. The affair was inappropriate due to the fact that the female was a student under his instruction and as a result he is no longer coaching basketball. That wasn't a criminal act. His marriage ended in divorce. That happens to be the result of 54% of all marriages. He committed no crime, yet he has certainly paid more of a price for his actions than most outside the spotlight would have paid.

He has every right to move on and contribute in a positive way to society.. Fortunately for him, his mother has made professional employment an option but not a necessity for him. Anyone can live well on over $14,000 month for the rest of their life.

For those that have never made a mistake...good job. One day either yourself or someone you care about will and you can then be self righteous and judgmental toward them.


#Occasionalwnbafan



Joined: 01 Mar 2012
Posts: 1172



Back to top
PostPosted: 06/29/17 12:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ay Mate wrote:
Douche bag


How so?
summertime blues



Joined: 16 Apr 2013
Posts: 4223
Location: Shenandoah Valley


Back to top
PostPosted: 06/29/17 1:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

#Occasionalwnbafan wrote:
Ay Mate wrote:
Douche bag


How so?


Feed not the trolls.



_________________
Don't take life so serious. It ain't nohows permanent.
It takes 3 years to build a team and 7 to build a program.
GlennMacGrady



Joined: 03 Jan 2005
Posts: 4018
Location: Heisenberg


Back to top
PostPosted: 06/30/17 1:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Concupiscence is genetically and inexorably derivative from Adam.

Since the dawn of man . . . since the memory of man runneth not to the contrary . . . sexual infidelities and other sexual excesses have brought down the names, reputations, careers and lives of kings, paupers, presidents, politicians, priests, entertainers, Indian chiefs, and the butcher, the baker and the candlestick maker.

To shun or ban or excommunicate every person guilty of sexual improprieties would depopulate the planet.

Tyler Summitt was thrust into jobs for which he was empirically and emotionally unprepared simply on the basis of his famous name. Other than his one sexual transgression, for which his reputation, career and marriage have already paid a heavy toll, he seems to be a young man who has otherwise always acquitted himself very well.

Forgive, that ye -- descendants all of Adam -- may be forgiven.
summertime blues



Joined: 16 Apr 2013
Posts: 4223
Location: Shenandoah Valley


Back to top
PostPosted: 06/30/17 3:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Very well said, Glenn.



_________________
Don't take life so serious. It ain't nohows permanent.
It takes 3 years to build a team and 7 to build a program.
ArtBest23



Joined: 02 Jul 2013
Posts: 11825



Back to top
PostPosted: 06/30/17 4:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
Concupiscence is genetically and inexorably derivative from Adam.

Since the dawn of man . . . since the memory of man runneth not to the contrary . . . sexual infidelities and other sexual excesses have brought down the names, reputations, careers and lives of kings, paupers, presidents, politicians, priests, entertainers, Indian chiefs, and the butcher, the baker and the candlestick maker.

To shun or ban or excommunicate every person guilty of sexual improprieties would depopulate the planet.

Tyler Summitt was thrust into jobs for which he was empirically and emotionally unprepared simply on the basis of his famous name. Other than his one sexual transgression, for which his reputation, career and marriage have already paid a heavy toll, he seems to be a young man who has otherwise always acquitted himself very well.

Forgive, that ye -- descendants all of Adam -- may be forgiven.


It wasn't a "sexual impropriety". It was an abusive use of power and control. An abuse of a special relationship. Which is why sex between people of significantly unequal stature and power, and where one person occupies a position of power, influence, or control over the other, are universally prohibited and condemned. Don't pretend like he was simply having an affair with his next door neighbor. This was with a student under his control and protection.

That's a nice speech you made, but it has zero to do with the actual situation.


Howee



Joined: 27 Nov 2009
Posts: 10701
Location: Oklahoma (in my heart)


Back to top
PostPosted: 06/30/17 9:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
Concupiscence is genetically and inexorably derivative from Adam.


Ohhhh.....the ol' "Original Sin" bullshit. Laughing Laughing Save it. It's precisely this religious nonsense that makes our culture so sex-negative.

IF we choose to use The Good Book, let us rather focus on His words: "Judge not, lest ye be judged" (which you did imply). MUCH more apropos here.

ArtBest23 wrote:
It wasn't a "sexual impropriety". It was an abusive use of power and control. An abuse of a special relationship. Which is why sex between people of significantly unequal stature and power, and where one person occupies a position of power, influence, or control over the other, are universally prohibited and condemned. Don't pretend like he was simply having an affair with his next door neighbor. This was with a student under his control and protection.


Oh, stop with the bullshit already. Rolling Eyes

"Universally"? Ummm....NOT. Let me direct you to MAJORITY populations of the world: (MUCH of..) Africa, India, Muslim Asia....women/minors of both genders are chattel, and very subject to what *we* call sexual abuses.

Sexual 'improprieties' of whatever nature you can conjure up are SIMPLY, INEVITABLY A FACET OF OUR HUMAN(ANIMAL) NATURE. Some--Rape, genital mutilation, honor killings, abuse of children--are egregiously heinous. Others--like falling in love with a subordinate who is complicit--not so much.



_________________
Oklahoma: Go Sooners!

<--Maddie Manning, Sooner Extraordinaire
ArtBest23



Joined: 02 Jul 2013
Posts: 11825



Back to top
PostPosted: 06/30/17 10:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:
Concupiscence is genetically and inexorably derivative from Adam.


Ohhhh.....the ol' "Original Sin" bullshit. Laughing Laughing Save it. It's precisely this religious nonsense that makes our culture so sex-negative.

IF we choose to use The Good Book, let us rather focus on His words: "Judge not, lest ye be judged" (which you did imply). MUCH more apropos here.

ArtBest23 wrote:
It wasn't a "sexual impropriety". It was an abusive use of power and control. An abuse of a special relationship. Which is why sex between people of significantly unequal stature and power, and where one person occupies a position of power, influence, or control over the other, are universally prohibited and condemned. Don't pretend like he was simply having an affair with his next door neighbor. This was with a student under his control and protection.


Oh, stop with the bullshit already. Rolling Eyes

"Universally"? Ummm....NOT. Let me direct you to MAJORITY populations of the world: (MUCH of..) Africa, India, Muslim Asia....women/minors of both genders are chattel, and very subject to what *we* call sexual abuses.

Sexual 'improprieties' of whatever nature you can conjure up are SIMPLY, INEVITABLY A FACET OF OUR HUMAN(ANIMAL) NATURE. Some--Rape, genital mutilation, honor killings, abuse of children--are egregiously heinous. Others--like falling in love with a subordinate who is complicit--not so much.


I have no idea what your point is. Murder and robbery happen too. That doesn't make them any less reprehensible or condemned.


LitePal



Joined: 08 Sep 2005
Posts: 374



Back to top
PostPosted: 07/01/17 12:56 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Who said they were in love? He knocked up one of his players, while married and also repeatedly quoted scripture. That type of hypocrisy is hilarious and if he weren't Pat Summit's son, no one would defend him.




Last edited by LitePal on 07/01/17 1:16 am; edited 1 time in total
Howee



Joined: 27 Nov 2009
Posts: 10701
Location: Oklahoma (in my heart)


Back to top
PostPosted: 07/01/17 1:03 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
I have no idea what your point is. Murder and robbery happen too. That doesn't make them any less reprehensible or condemned.


Murder in the first degree, second degree. Manslaughter. Negligent homicide. Armed Robbery. Jean Valjean's thievery. There are disctinctions....not all "crimes" are created equally.



_________________
Oklahoma: Go Sooners!

<--Maddie Manning, Sooner Extraordinaire
ArtBest23



Joined: 02 Jul 2013
Posts: 11825



Back to top
PostPosted: 07/01/17 7:58 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
I have no idea what your point is. Murder and robbery happen too. That doesn't make them any less reprehensible or condemned.


Murder in the first degree, second degree. Manslaughter. Negligent homicide. Armed Robbery. Jean Valjean's thievery. There are disctinctions....not all "crimes" are created equally.


Finally you're right. Not all "crimes" are created equally.

Such as screwing someone over whom you are in a position of control or authority is not remotely the same as a simple sexual indiscretion with an equal.

In the former, the "crime" isn't even about sex. It's about abusing that position of authority.


FrozenLVFan



Joined: 08 Jul 2014
Posts: 525



Back to top
PostPosted: 07/01/17 8:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

He made a bad mistake. The degree of badness is subjective, especially since we don't know the details. He lost his job, career, and wife over it. He will always have to live with that, and he will likely have said mistake dragged out into public on a regular basis because of his last name. Hopefully the girl has been able to move on, but given his reported assets, I wouldn't be surprised if a sexual harassment suit is forthcoming. Otherwise, sleeping dogs can lie AFAIC.


pilight



Joined: 23 Sep 2004
Posts: 55031
Location: Where the action is


Back to top
PostPosted: 07/01/17 9:06 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

What Tyker Summitt did is not much different from what Bill Clinton did with Monica Lewinsky



_________________
I'm goin' way down South
Way down where I can be free
ArtBest23



Joined: 02 Jul 2013
Posts: 11825



Back to top
PostPosted: 07/01/17 10:36 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
What Tyker Summitt did is not much different from what Bill Clinton did with Monica Lewinsky


And just like with Clinton, a lot of people are more than willing to put on their blinders and give him a pass and make excuses for him and to blame the woman, for extraneous reasons that have everything to do with who he is and nothing whatsoever to do with what he did.




Last edited by ArtBest23 on 07/01/17 1:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
linkster



Joined: 27 Jul 2012
Posts: 2764



Back to top
PostPosted: 07/01/17 1:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
What Tyker Summitt did is not much different from what Bill Clinton did with Monica Lewinsky


What Tyler Summitt did isn't much different from a 22 year old high school teacher having sex with an 18 year old female student. Tyler's paramour was a college freshman.


summertime blues



Joined: 16 Apr 2013
Posts: 4223
Location: Shenandoah Valley


Back to top
PostPosted: 07/01/17 1:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:
pilight wrote:
What Tyker Summitt did is not much different from what Bill Clinton did with Monica Lewinsky


What Tyler Summitt did isn't much different from a 22 year old high school teacher having sex with an 18 year old female student. Tyler's paramour was a college freshman.


Sophomore, or redshirt frosh. Not freshman. She'd already completed at least her freshman year at Marquette.

Anyway, there's some difference between being young and exceedingly stupid, and old and abusive.



_________________
Don't take life so serious. It ain't nohows permanent.
It takes 3 years to build a team and 7 to build a program.
LitePal



Joined: 08 Sep 2005
Posts: 374



Back to top
PostPosted: 07/01/17 1:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

He was married and he didn't just have an affair, he knocked her up. If you want to have sympathy for someone, why not feel sorry for his ex-wife who had this situation splashed on the front pages, through no fault of hers.

She wasn't his paramour, she's his baby mama.


summertime blues



Joined: 16 Apr 2013
Posts: 4223
Location: Shenandoah Valley


Back to top
PostPosted: 07/01/17 2:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LitePal wrote:
He was married and he didn't just have an affair, he knocked her up. If you want to have sympathy for someone, why not feel sorry for his ex-wife who had this situation splashed on the front pages, through no fault of hers.

She wasn't his paramour, she's his baby mama.


He did NOT knock her up, contrary to what you want to believe. Go read the article. You don't even know if they had sex. Neither does anyone else except them.



_________________
Don't take life so serious. It ain't nohows permanent.
It takes 3 years to build a team and 7 to build a program.
bucks4now



Joined: 28 Feb 2006
Posts: 577



Back to top
PostPosted: 07/01/17 2:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
LitePal wrote:
He was married and he didn't just have an affair, he knocked her up. If you want to have sympathy for someone, why not feel sorry for his ex-wife who had this situation splashed on the front pages, through no fault of hers.

She wasn't his paramour, she's his baby mama.


He did NOT knock her up, contrary to what you want to believe. Go read the article. You don't even know if they had sex. Neither does anyone else except them.


We don't know that either. According to Tyler, he is not a father.


linkster



Joined: 27 Jul 2012
Posts: 2764



Back to top
PostPosted: 07/01/17 3:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
linkster wrote:
pilight wrote:
What Tyker Summitt did is not much different from what Bill Clinton did with Monica Lewinsky


What Tyler Summitt did isn't much different from a 22 year old high school teacher having sex with an 18 year old female student. Tyler's paramour was a college freshman.


Sophomore, or redshirt frosh. Not freshman. She'd already completed at least her freshman year at Marquette.

Anyway, there's some difference between being young and exceedingly stupid, and old and abusive.


The age of the coach is irrelevant.

My problem lies less in Tyler than in those that claim to be close to the program. Three or so years ago they were telling everyone that he was trained from birth to coach, was mature beyond his years and was ready for his job at L Tech. He was the golden boy. Now, those same "in the know" people are trying to diminish his misdeeds with the excuses of youth and immaturity.


Ex-Ref



Joined: 04 Oct 2009
Posts: 4399



Back to top
PostPosted: 07/01/17 4:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bucks4now wrote:
summertime blues wrote:
LitePal wrote:
He was married and he didn't just have an affair, he knocked her up. If you want to have sympathy for someone, why not feel sorry for his ex-wife who had this situation splashed on the front pages, through no fault of hers.

She wasn't his paramour, she's his baby mama.


He did NOT knock her up, contrary to what you want to believe. Go read the article. You don't even know if they had sex. Neither does anyone else except them.


We don't know that either. According to Tyler, he is not a father.


Right.

The way I read it could mean one of five things:

1. She wasn't ever pregnant.
2. She miscarried.
3. She aborted.
4. Part of a possible settlement was that he have NOTHING to do with any possible baby she was carrying.
5. He's lying.



_________________
neverthless she persisted
pilight



Joined: 23 Sep 2004
Posts: 55031
Location: Where the action is


Back to top
PostPosted: 07/01/17 4:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ex-Ref wrote:
bucks4now wrote:
summertime blues wrote:
LitePal wrote:
He was married and he didn't just have an affair, he knocked her up. If you want to have sympathy for someone, why not feel sorry for his ex-wife who had this situation splashed on the front pages, through no fault of hers.

She wasn't his paramour, she's his baby mama.


He did NOT knock her up, contrary to what you want to believe. Go read the article. You don't even know if they had sex. Neither does anyone else except them.


We don't know that either. According to Tyler, he is not a father.


Right.

The way I read it could mean one of five things:

1. She wasn't ever pregnant.
2. She miscarried.
3. She aborted.
4. Part of a possible settlement was that he have NOTHING to do with any possible baby she was carrying.
5. He's lying.


6. She got pregnant by some other man



_________________
I'm goin' way down South
Way down where I can be free
GlennMacGrady



Joined: 03 Jan 2005
Posts: 4018
Location: Heisenberg


Back to top
PostPosted: 07/01/17 4:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ex-Ref wrote:
bucks4now wrote:
summertime blues wrote:
LitePal wrote:
He was married and he didn't just have an affair, he knocked her up. If you want to have sympathy for someone, why not feel sorry for his ex-wife who had this situation splashed on the front pages, through no fault of hers.

She wasn't his paramour, she's his baby mama.


He did NOT knock her up, contrary to what you want to believe. Go read the article. You don't even know if they had sex. Neither does anyone else except them.


We don't know that either. According to Tyler, he is not a father.


Right.

The way I read it could mean one of five things:

1. She wasn't ever pregnant.
2. She miscarried.
3. She aborted.
4. Part of a possible settlement was that he have NOTHING to do with any possible baby she was carrying.
5. He's lying.


I think 4 and 5 are unlikely because anyone could find out whether she has a child and, if she does, ask her who the child's father is.

Since this was a college environment, not high school, the better analogy is a college professor having sex with one of his students. If we had a dollar for every time that's happened, we'd be millionaires.

I also don't recall this being an "abuse of power" situation. That usually involves the man demanding sex in return for doing, or refraining from doing, something to the subordinate -- sex that the subordinate would not otherwise have voluntarily engaged in. As I recall, the young woman voluntarily transferred from Marquette to LaTech, presumably to voluntarily continue her relationship with Tyler.

The baneful effect on the team dynamic would be perceptions of favoritism toward the girlfriend if the relationship were known, not a perception that the girlfriend was being abused.

Since it takes two to tango, perhaps the young lady should be banned from all future basketball teams or from being a student at any other college.

It was appropriate for Tyler to resign or be dismissed, but advocating a lifetime coaching ban is too harsh, in my opinion. After all, in most if not all areas of life, good judgment is mainly achieved by engaging in a sufficient number of bad judgments.
Ex-Ref



Joined: 04 Oct 2009
Posts: 4399



Back to top
PostPosted: 07/01/17 4:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:


6. She got pregnant by some other man


Well, that one didn't come to my mind!!!!

Do you write scripts for soap operas in your spare time? Wink



_________________
neverthless she persisted
ArtBest23



Joined: 02 Jul 2013
Posts: 11825



Back to top
PostPosted: 07/01/17 4:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:


I also don't recall this being an "abuse of power" situation. That usually involves the man demanding sex in return for doing, or refraining from doing, something to the subordinate -- sex that the subordinate would not otherwise have voluntarily engaged in.


This isn't 1930 any more. You need an updated dictionary.

GlennMacGrady wrote:

Since it takes two to tango, perhaps the young lady should be banned from all future basketball teams or from being a student at any other college.


Sure. Punish the victim. Donald Trump would be proud of your attitude.


GlennMacGrady



Joined: 03 Jan 2005
Posts: 4018
Location: Heisenberg


Back to top
PostPosted: 07/01/17 5:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:


I also don't recall this being an "abuse of power" situation. That usually involves the man demanding sex in return for doing, or refraining from doing, something to the subordinate -- sex that the subordinate would not otherwise have voluntarily engaged in.


This isn't 1930 any more. You need an updated dictionary.

GlennMacGrady wrote:

Since it takes two to tango, perhaps the young lady should be banned from all future basketball teams or from being a student at any other college.


Sure. Punish the victim. Donald Trump would be proud of your attitude.


One can differ, but I wouldn't call either of two voluntarily consenting adults to an intimate relationship "victims". Both are sinners, he probably violated school rules, but no one is alleged to have committed a crime.

My suggestion was not my attitude; it was a reductio ad absurdum to the argument that Tyler should suffer a lifetime coaching ban.
FrozenLVFan



Joined: 08 Jul 2014
Posts: 525



Back to top
PostPosted: 07/01/17 5:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

There's a lot of conjecture occurring over the details of a relationship about which we know nothing. Why drag this through the mud again? Haven't these two young people suffered enough?


summertime blues



Joined: 16 Apr 2013
Posts: 4223
Location: Shenandoah Valley


Back to top
PostPosted: 07/01/17 6:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Some of you seem to be willing to believe anything, so long as it casts a bad light on either Tyler or the youg lady.



_________________
Don't take life so serious. It ain't nohows permanent.
It takes 3 years to build a team and 7 to build a program.
#Occasionalwnbafan



Joined: 01 Mar 2012
Posts: 1172



Back to top
PostPosted: 07/01/17 7:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
Some of you seem to be willing to believe anything, so long as it casts a bad light on either Tyler or the youg lady.


I agree, I thought they were in love and to that I say as long as both people are adults then Love is Love.
summertime blues



Joined: 16 Apr 2013
Posts: 4223
Location: Shenandoah Valley


Back to top
PostPosted: 07/01/17 8:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

#Occasionalwnbafan wrote:
summertime blues wrote:
Some of you seem to be willing to believe anything, so long as it casts a bad light on either Tyler or the youg lady.


I agree, I thought they were in love and to that I say as long as both people are adults then Love is Love.


Not gonna go that far, since he WAS married at the time, but the whole "he knocked her up" business seems to be untrue and therefore some of y'all need to knock it off!



_________________
Don't take life so serious. It ain't nohows permanent.
It takes 3 years to build a team and 7 to build a program.
summertime blues



Joined: 16 Apr 2013
Posts: 4223
Location: Shenandoah Valley


Back to top
PostPosted: 07/01/17 8:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

#Occasionalwnbafan wrote:
summertime blues wrote:
Some of you seem to be willing to believe anything, so long as it casts a bad light on either Tyler or the youg lady.


I agree, I thought they were in love and to that I say as long as both people are adults then Love is Love.


Not gonna go that far, since he WAS married at the time, but the whole "he knocked her up" business is apparently untrue and therefore some of y'all need to knock it off!



_________________
Don't take life so serious. It ain't nohows permanent.
It takes 3 years to build a team and 7 to build a program.
linkster



Joined: 27 Jul 2012
Posts: 2764



Back to top
PostPosted: 07/01/17 8:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'd be willing to let Tyler coach wcbb again if it came at least 4 or so years after Pokey Chapman gets a D1 head coaching job. Funny that I don't remember anyone having suggested forgiveness for her.


summertime blues



Joined: 16 Apr 2013
Posts: 4223
Location: Shenandoah Valley


Back to top
PostPosted: 07/01/17 10:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:
I'd be willing to let Tyler coach wcbb again if it came at least 4 or so years after Pokey Chapman gets a D1 head coaching job. Funny that I don't remember anyone having suggested forgiveness for her.


I personally wouldn't have a problem with Pokey coaching WCBB again, however she hasn't expressed a desire to. Permanent anathema over a consensual relationahip in the distant past seems kind of ridiculous. Of course I suppose there's a certain amount of homophobia involved in her case too.



_________________
Don't take life so serious. It ain't nohows permanent.
It takes 3 years to build a team and 7 to build a program.
ClayK



Joined: 11 Oct 2005
Posts: 8464



Back to top
PostPosted: 07/02/17 10:30 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
linkster wrote:
I'd be willing to let Tyler coach wcbb again if it came at least 4 or so years after Pokey Chapman gets a D1 head coaching job. Funny that I don't remember anyone having suggested forgiveness for her.


I personally wouldn't have a problem with Pokey coaching WCBB again, however she hasn't expressed a desire to. Permanent anathema over a consensual relationahip in the distant past seems kind of ridiculous. Of course I suppose there's a certain amount of homophobia involved in her case too.


A simple rule: Don't sleep with your players.



_________________
Oṃ Tāre Tuttāre Ture Svāhā
PUmatty



Joined: 10 Nov 2004
Posts: 13903
Location: Chicago


Back to top
PostPosted: 07/02/17 10:46 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
summertime blues wrote:
linkster wrote:
I'd be willing to let Tyler coach wcbb again if it came at least 4 or so years after Pokey Chapman gets a D1 head coaching job. Funny that I don't remember anyone having suggested forgiveness for her.


I personally wouldn't have a problem with Pokey coaching WCBB again, however she hasn't expressed a desire to. Permanent anathema over a consensual relationahip in the distant past seems kind of ridiculous. Of course I suppose there's a certain amount of homophobia involved in her case too.


A simple rule: Don't sleep with your players.


You would think it would easy to understand.


RavenDog



Joined: 19 Feb 2007
Posts: 5469



Back to top
PostPosted: 07/02/17 12:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Actually, a good debate and discussion.

Good points made and opinions shared by most of the communicators. It seems that both parties to the affair, so to speak, experienced and received somewhat commensurate setbacks for their roles and each party seems to be making headway, amends and adjustments for their past behaviors.

Therefore, judgmentally, I would declare, "Case Dismissed."

Good Job!



_________________
Texas Lady Longhorns
UConn Huskies

Las Vegas Stars
Dallas Wings
Seattle Storm
Chicago Sky
Connecticut Sun
Youth Coach



Joined: 23 Mar 2008
Posts: 4275



Back to top
PostPosted: 07/02/17 6:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:


A simple rule: Don't sleep with your players.


This is a less profane expression of my version of the rule.
LitePal



Joined: 08 Sep 2005
Posts: 374



Back to top
PostPosted: 07/03/17 9:52 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So he didn't knock her up? It's very hard to tell from that article since it's such a soft soap. A mere mention that he's divorced and his statement that he's not a father. If he wants to set the record straight in an article, I can see that, but it seemed like a PR move. As such, he's fair game.

Sleeping with a player while married, all the while quoting scripture. There, fixed it for you. Religious hypocrites are the worst so I don't really trust what he has to say now.


summertime blues



Joined: 16 Apr 2013
Posts: 4223
Location: Shenandoah Valley


Back to top
PostPosted: 07/03/17 10:06 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LitePal wrote:
So he didn't knock her up? It's very hard to tell from that article since it's such a soft soap. A mere mention that he's divorced and his statement that he's not a father. If he wants to set the record straight in an article, I can see that, but it seemed like a PR move. As such, he's fair game.

Sleeping with a player while married, all the while quoting scripture. There, fixed it for you. Religious hypocrites are the worst so I don't really trust what he has to say now.


Yeah, the rest of us are ALL perfect. Never mind.

He didn't say he isn't a father. The article states that. Presumably there is factual basis for the statement. As someone stated earlier, it would be easy to find out whether the young lady in question had given birth. It would be a matter of record. And apparently the record isn't there.



_________________
Don't take life so serious. It ain't nohows permanent.
It takes 3 years to build a team and 7 to build a program.
StevenHW



Joined: 25 Jul 2005
Posts: 10014
Location: Sacramento, California


Back to top
PostPosted: 07/03/17 10:19 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LitePal wrote:
...Sleeping with a player while married, all the while quoting scripture. There, fixed it for you. Religious hypocrites are the worst so I don't really trust what he has to say now.





_________________
"My mechanic told me, 'I couldn't repair your brakes, so I made your horn louder'." - comedian Steven Wright
LitePal



Joined: 08 Sep 2005
Posts: 374



Back to top
PostPosted: 07/03/17 2:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So what he did was a "mistake" and leave it at that?

Actually, the article says he himself revealed that what transpired did not make him a father. It also said he was not willing to talk about what caused his dismissal.

It was a self-serving article and he put himself back into the spotlight, only trying to make it on his terms. He could either come clean or he could have kept quiet. Instead it became a "poor me" article.


summertime blues



Joined: 16 Apr 2013
Posts: 4223
Location: Shenandoah Valley


Back to top
PostPosted: 07/03/17 2:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LitePal wrote:
So what he did was a "mistake" and leave it at that?

Actually, the article says he himself revealed that what transpired did not make him a father. It also said he was not willing to talk about what caused his dismissal.

It was a self-serving article and he put himself back into the spotlight, only trying to make it on his terms. He could either come clean or he could have kept quiet. Instead it became a "poor me" article.


Your interpretation.

What do you want it to be, a crime? Adultery hasn't been a crime for years. And although it's a sin, what Jesus said was "Go, and sin no more."

Jesus also said, "Do not judge, or you too will be judged." Maybe you ought to think about that while you're throwing the Jesus pic around,

(Sorry, Queenie. I'll stop now.)



_________________
Don't take life so serious. It ain't nohows permanent.
It takes 3 years to build a team and 7 to build a program.
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB 2.0.17 © 2001- 2004 phpBB Group
phpBB Template by Vjacheslav Trushkin