RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Tyler Summitt update
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NoDakSt

PostPosted: 06/21/17 5:15 pm    ::: Tyler Summitt update Reply Reply with quote

Living another life.

http://www.knoxnews.com/story/sports/college/university-of-tennessee/womens-basketball/2017/06/21/pat-summitt-son-tyler-summitt-living-other-life-after-mothers-death-his-resignation/414447001/

Youth Coach

PostPosted: 06/21/17 6:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Interesting read.

I haven't read much about him since the disastrous conclusion to his coaching career so this is the first I've seen that his wife divorced him. Can't say that I'm surprised.

And even though in my case it is infinitely less complicated, from my own experience, managing an estate is a series of never ending complications. I can only imagine what it must be like to deal with the issues he has to face with his mother's estate.

By the way, has anything more been written about the player he had an affair with?
Ay Mate

PostPosted: 06/21/17 7:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Douche bag

Happycappie25

PostPosted: 06/21/17 7:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm glad having to manage the vast Estate of his mother has given him purpose...and that his wife did leave him...hope it gives him a good life...

AWAY

FROM

BASKETBALL

FOR

ALL

GOOD

TIME

What he did is an unforgivable sin...PERIOD

Never was 100% comfortable about Pokey in the W

And I have been adamant about Cheryl Miller and HOFNL

Good luck out of basketball...you've done enough to earn that

But unless its in the last row of the upper deck of Thompson Bolling with your kids, a tray of hot dogs 2 cokes and a beer don't go NEAR a WBB game again!

PostPosted: 06/21/17 10:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

'What he did is an unforgivable sin...PERIOD"

Nah.

"Not Cool" Definitely. "Dastardly", even. But....in the course of Human Events For All Time, there's much worse than the human frailty of loving the wrong person. And for all his wealth, he'll never really pay THAT debt in his lifetime, thanks to his high-profile childhood/upbringing.

PostPosted: 06/22/17 6:25 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
'What he did is an unforgivable sin...PERIOD"

Nah.

"Not Cool" Definitely. "Dastardly", even. But....in the course of Human Events For All Time, there's much worse than the human frailty of loving the wrong person. And for all his wealth, he'll never really pay THAT debt in his lifetime, thanks to his high-profile childhood/upbringing.

In the course of human events, no it isn't the worst thing ever.

But confining the viewpoint to the world of basketball, it really is unforgivable.
summertime blues

PostPosted: 06/22/17 11:30 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Some of you people (hot naming names) are sorely lacking in compassion and quick to throw stones.

I read the article several times and I have to say it made me bot smile and sigh a little. First of all, let me say that I knew Tyler somewhat from the time he was a little boy. Not closely, but to a degree, because my father was on the athletic board for a time and therefore we were around various coaches and their families. I always kind of felt sorry for the football and basketball coaches' kids, and Tyler in particular, because in Knoxville it was like being a movie star's kid--you weren't allowed to make any mistakes, and God help you if you did! For Tyler it was worse, because his mom was a national figure. Being around him occasionally while he was growing up, I can say that he was always a nice kid, very polite, with a bit of his mom's sense of humor, and fun to be around. In retrospect, I would say that he was handed opportunities before he was emotionally and psychologically ready for them, which happens to many young people who are scions of the famous and NOT just in the sports world; it happens in business, in film, and in a lot of other fields. Unfortunately for Tyler, he was right square in the spotlight, just like a movie star's kid. And even though he did a lot of things right in one area, he made some really bad decisions--really immature, stupid, bad decisions--that forever affected the course of his life and most likely those of some others too. Other people have made those kinds of stupid, immature, horrible decisions at that age without being called out by thousands, but other people haven't been Tyler Summitt...so of course other people can be forgiven eventually. Tyler is doing the best he can to make amends, live quietly, and change his life. He recognizes his mistakes. He's trying to get on with his life. The rest of you should do the same.

Oh, and for you happy little rumormongers, I hope you noticed the sentence in the article concerning fact that he is NOT a father. And as for the former player, you should leave HER alone too!

PostPosted: 06/22/17 1:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Tyler is a victim of the doting adulation heaped upon him his whole life by LV nation. He was born and raised with the basketball equivalent of a silver spoon in his mouth and he took all that and flushed it down the toilet. The (IMO) excessive condemnation hurled at him now is in large part backlash from the excessive praise he received when he got his first job and then landed a HC job after one year as an assistant.

LV nation was ready to crown him as his mother's successor but right now I'd say he is better suited to succeed Jimmy Swaggart.

200K a year for the rest of his life should temper his pain. Rolling Eyes

PlayBally'all

PostPosted: 06/29/17 12:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Happycappie25 wrote:
I'm glad having to manage the vast Estate of his mother has given him purpose...and that his wife did leave him...hope it gives him a good life...

AWAY

FROM

BASKETBALL

FOR

ALL

GOOD

TIME

What he did is an unforgivable sin...PERIOD

Never was 100% comfortable about Pokey in the W

And I have been adamant about Cheryl Miller and HOFNL

Good luck out of basketball...you've done enough to earn that

But unless its in the last row of the upper deck of Thompson Bolling with your kids, a tray of hot dogs 2 cokes and a beer don't go NEAR a WBB game again!

Ridiculous is acting as though what took place is unforgivable. He had consensual sex with another adult while being married. The affair was inappropriate due to the fact that the female was a student under his instruction and as a result he is no longer coaching basketball. That wasn't a criminal act. His marriage ended in divorce. That happens to be the result of 54% of all marriages. He committed no crime, yet he has certainly paid more of a price for his actions than most outside the spotlight would have paid.

He has every right to move on and contribute in a positive way to society.. Fortunately for him, his mother has made professional employment an option but not a necessity for him. Anyone can live well on over $14,000 month for the rest of their life.

For those that have never made a mistake...good job. One day either yourself or someone you care about will and you can then be self righteous and judgmental toward them.

#Occasionalwnbafan

PostPosted: 06/29/17 12:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ay Mate wrote:
Douche bag

How so?
summertime blues

PostPosted: 06/29/17 1:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

#Occasionalwnbafan wrote:
Ay Mate wrote:
Douche bag

How so?

Feed not the trolls.

PostPosted: 06/30/17 1:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Concupiscence is genetically and inexorably derivative from Adam.

Since the dawn of man . . . since the memory of man runneth not to the contrary . . . sexual infidelities and other sexual excesses have brought down the names, reputations, careers and lives of kings, paupers, presidents, politicians, priests, entertainers, Indian chiefs, and the butcher, the baker and the candlestick maker.

To shun or ban or excommunicate every person guilty of sexual improprieties would depopulate the planet.

Tyler Summitt was thrust into jobs for which he was empirically and emotionally unprepared simply on the basis of his famous name. Other than his one sexual transgression, for which his reputation, career and marriage have already paid a heavy toll, he seems to be a young man who has otherwise always acquitted himself very well.

Forgive, that ye -- descendants all of Adam -- may be forgiven.
summertime blues

PostPosted: 06/30/17 3:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Very well said, Glenn.

PostPosted: 06/30/17 4:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:

Since the dawn of man . . . since the memory of man runneth not to the contrary . . . sexual infidelities and other sexual excesses have brought down the names, reputations, careers and lives of kings, paupers, presidents, politicians, priests, entertainers, Indian chiefs, and the butcher, the baker and the candlestick maker.

To shun or ban or excommunicate every person guilty of sexual improprieties would depopulate the planet.

Tyler Summitt was thrust into jobs for which he was empirically and emotionally unprepared simply on the basis of his famous name. Other than his one sexual transgression, for which his reputation, career and marriage have already paid a heavy toll, he seems to be a young man who has otherwise always acquitted himself very well.

Forgive, that ye -- descendants all of Adam -- may be forgiven.

It wasn't a "sexual impropriety". It was an abusive use of power and control. An abuse of a special relationship. Which is why sex between people of significantly unequal stature and power, and where one person occupies a position of power, influence, or control over the other, are universally prohibited and condemned. Don't pretend like he was simply having an affair with his next door neighbor. This was with a student under his control and protection.

That's a nice speech you made, but it has zero to do with the actual situation.

Howee

PostPosted: 06/30/17 9:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:

Ohhhh.....the ol' "Original Sin" bullshit. Laughing Laughing Save it. It's precisely this religious nonsense that makes our culture so sex-negative.

IF we choose to use The Good Book, let us rather focus on His words: "Judge not, lest ye be judged" (which you did imply). MUCH more apropos here.

ArtBest23 wrote:
It wasn't a "sexual impropriety". It was an abusive use of power and control. An abuse of a special relationship. Which is why sex between people of significantly unequal stature and power, and where one person occupies a position of power, influence, or control over the other, are universally prohibited and condemned. Don't pretend like he was simply having an affair with his next door neighbor. This was with a student under his control and protection.

Oh, stop with the bullshit already. Rolling Eyes

"Universally"? Ummm....NOT. Let me direct you to MAJORITY populations of the world: (MUCH of..) Africa, India, Muslim Asia....women/minors of both genders are chattel, and very subject to what *we* call sexual abuses.

Sexual 'improprieties' of whatever nature you can conjure up are SIMPLY, INEVITABLY A FACET OF OUR HUMAN(ANIMAL) NATURE. Some--Rape, genital mutilation, honor killings, abuse of children--are egregiously heinous. Others--like falling in love with a subordinate who is complicit--not so much.

PostPosted: 06/30/17 10:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:

Ohhhh.....the ol' "Original Sin" bullshit. Laughing Laughing Save it. It's precisely this religious nonsense that makes our culture so sex-negative.

IF we choose to use The Good Book, let us rather focus on His words: "Judge not, lest ye be judged" (which you did imply). MUCH more apropos here.

ArtBest23 wrote:

Oh, stop with the bullshit already. Rolling Eyes

"Universally"? Ummm....NOT. Let me direct you to MAJORITY populations of the world: (MUCH of..) Africa, India, Muslim Asia....women/minors of both genders are chattel, and very subject to what *we* call sexual abuses.

Sexual 'improprieties' of whatever nature you can conjure up are SIMPLY, INEVITABLY A FACET OF OUR HUMAN(ANIMAL) NATURE. Some--Rape, genital mutilation, honor killings, abuse of children--are egregiously heinous. Others--like falling in love with a subordinate who is complicit--not so much.

I have no idea what your point is. Murder and robbery happen too. That doesn't make them any less reprehensible or condemned.

LitePal

PostPosted: 07/01/17 12:56 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Who said they were in love? He knocked up one of his players, while married and also repeatedly quoted scripture. That type of hypocrisy is hilarious and if he weren't Pat Summit's son, no one would defend him.

Last edited by LitePal on 07/01/17 1:16 am; edited 1 time in total
Howee

PostPosted: 07/01/17 1:03 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
I have no idea what your point is. Murder and robbery happen too. That doesn't make them any less reprehensible or condemned.

Murder in the first degree, second degree. Manslaughter. Negligent homicide. Armed Robbery. Jean Valjean's thievery. There are disctinctions....not all "crimes" are created equally.

PostPosted: 07/01/17 7:58 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:

Murder in the first degree, second degree. Manslaughter. Negligent homicide. Armed Robbery. Jean Valjean's thievery. There are disctinctions....not all "crimes" are created equally.

Finally you're right. Not all "crimes" are created equally.

Such as screwing someone over whom you are in a position of control or authority is not remotely the same as a simple sexual indiscretion with an equal.

In the former, the "crime" isn't even about sex. It's about abusing that position of authority.

FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 07/01/17 8:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

He made a bad mistake. The degree of badness is subjective, especially since we don't know the details. He lost his job, career, and wife over it. He will always have to live with that, and he will likely have said mistake dragged out into public on a regular basis because of his last name. Hopefully the girl has been able to move on, but given his reported assets, I wouldn't be surprised if a sexual harassment suit is forthcoming. Otherwise, sleeping dogs can lie AFAIC.

pilight

PostPosted: 07/01/17 9:06 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

What Tyler Summitt did is not much different from what Bill Clinton did with Monica Lewinsky

Last edited by pilight on 03/20/18 8:05 am; edited 1 time in total
ArtBest23

PostPosted: 07/01/17 10:36 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
What Tyker Summitt did is not much different from what Bill Clinton did with Monica Lewinsky

And just like with Clinton, a lot of people are more than willing to put on their blinders and give him a pass and make excuses for him and to blame the woman, for extraneous reasons that have everything to do with who he is and nothing whatsoever to do with what he did.

Last edited by ArtBest23 on 07/01/17 1:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
linkster

PostPosted: 07/01/17 1:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
What Tyker Summitt did is not much different from what Bill Clinton did with Monica Lewinsky

What Tyler Summitt did isn't much different from a 22 year old high school teacher having sex with an 18 year old female student. Tyler's paramour was a college freshman.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 07/01/17 1:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:
pilight wrote:

What Tyler Summitt did isn't much different from a 22 year old high school teacher having sex with an 18 year old female student. Tyler's paramour was a college freshman.

Sophomore, or redshirt frosh. Not freshman. She'd already completed at least her freshman year at Marquette.

Anyway, there's some difference between being young and exceedingly stupid, and old and abusive.

PostPosted: 07/01/17 1:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

He was married and he didn't just have an affair, he knocked her up. If you want to have sympathy for someone, why not feel sorry for his ex-wife who had this situation splashed on the front pages, through no fault of hers.

She wasn't his paramour, she's his baby mama.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: