RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Seeds by poll rank

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pilight

PostPosted: 06/20/17 4:07 pm    ::: Seeds by poll rank Reply Reply with quote

Back in January linkster asked can you name one 1 seed who in the history of the 64 team tournament faced a ranked team in the first 2 rounds? Their first game is against a 16 seed and the second against the winner of the 8-9 game. I can't remember a ranked team being seeded 8th or 9th. can you? I answered it at the time, but it got me wondering where ranked teams get seeded. So I decided to break it out...

Poll rankings are along the left, seeds are across the top. So teams ranked #5 in the year end poll have gotten #1 seeds 10 times, #2 seeds 21 times, #3 seeds twice, and #4 seeds twice.

Notes:

This is based on the AP Poll

No ranked team has gotten lower than a #12 seed

NIT stands for not in tournament. Those teams may or may not have played in the actual NIT.

No ranked team has been left out since the tournament expanded to 64 teams

You may notice that the numbers for each rank don't add up the same. Two reasons for that. There were ties in the final poll in 1999 (#10), 2001 (#25), 2002 (#24), 2003 (#25), 2006 (#13), 2012 (#17), and 2016 (#22) and the poll only included 20 teams through the 1988-89 season.

You may also notice that the number for each seed don't add up the same. That's because unranked teams have gotten seeds as high as a #3.

The 1982 NCAA tournament was not included. Many ranked teams stayed with the AIAW for that season, skewing the data.

The two teams that were #1 in the poll but didn't get a #1 seed were Texas in 1984 and Stanford in 2005

PostPosted: 06/24/17 7:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Thanks, interesting

pilight

PostPosted: 06/26/17 6:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I thought this might draw a little more interest

PostPosted: 03/13/18 3:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

2018 update

Baylor got a #2 seed, tied for the lowest ever for a #2 ranked team

NC State got a #4 seed, tied for the highest ever for a #21 ranked team

Mercer got a #13 seed, the lowest ever for a #25 ranked team (or any ranked team)

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: