RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Supreme Court unanimously reaffirms:

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pilight

PostPosted: 06/19/17 2:17 pm    ::: Supreme Court unanimously reaffirms: Reply Reply with quote

There is no ‘hate speech’ exception to the First Amendment

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/volokh-conspiracy/wp/2017/06/19/supreme-court-unanimously-reaffirms-there-is-no-hate-speech-exception-to-the-first-amendment/

Quote:
the justices made clear that speech that some view as racially offensive is protected not just against outright prohibition but also against lesser restrictions. In Matal, the government refused to register “The Slants” as a band’s trademark, on the ground that the name might be seen as demeaning to Asian Americans. The government wasn’t trying to forbid the band from using the mark; it was just denying it certain protections that trademarks get against unauthorized use by third parties. But even in this sort of program, the court held, viewpoint discrimination — including against allegedly racially offensive viewpoints — is unconstitutional.

PostPosted: 06/19/17 2:24 pm    ::: Re: Supreme Court unanimously reaffirms: Reply Reply with quote

I am far from a lawyer, but this sure seems to have face validity. The idea that these trademarks would be withheld never made sense to me.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 06/19/17 3:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The more appropriate headline for this forum was the earlier one from Volokh because the Redskins name has been discussed numerous time here:

The Slants (and the Redskins) win: The government can’t deny full trademark protection to allegedly racially offensive marks

The Supreme Court held the disparagement exception to the federal trademark law to be an unconstitutional governmental infringement of free speech. That provision the prohibited the registration of trademarks that may “disparage . . . or bring. . . into contemp[t] or disrepute” any “persons, living or dead." It was the provision that the Patent & Tradmark Office and lower federal courts had used to cancel the "Redskins" trademark. Those decisions will now be reversed in favor of the Redskins.
ArtBest23

PostPosted: 06/19/17 3:55 pm    ::: Re: Supreme Court unanimously reaffirms: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
I am far from a lawyer, but this sure seems to have face validity. The idea that these trademarks would be withheld never made sense to me.

Well, you always had a right to speak disparaging terms, but it was much more dubious whether you were entitled to government protection of your exclusive use of an offensive term. I think that's far more questionable.

justintyme

PostPosted: 06/19/17 4:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So, lawyer type people. How does this ruling impact prohibitions states have put on things like vanity license plates? Is there soon to be a rush on alt-right plates?

PostPosted: 06/19/17 5:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

justintyme wrote:
So, lawyer type people. How does this ruling impact prohibitions states have put on things like vanity license plates? Is there soon to be a rush on alt-right plates?

Alt-right speech is courteous and respectful. You probably mean alt-left speech, whereby everyone who disagrees with any neo-liberal worldview is called racist, sexist, misogynistic, homophobic, xenophobic, fascist, Hitlererian, and every vulgar obscenity known.

In any event, the answer to your question is no. There's a concept called "government speech" under the first amendment, which can be regulated or censored. Government speech is something the government says, approves, authorizes or sanctions, at least partly, on behalf of the government itself.

Since vanity license plates are issued by the government, the words on them are a form of government speech, which the government can regulate or censor because otherwise it might appear that the government is approving the messages on the vanity plates.

The argument was made that trademarks are government speech because they are in a sense issued by the government, but the Supreme Court disagreed. I haven't read the decision closely enough to figure out how they distinguished the license plate case.
justintyme

PostPosted: 06/19/17 6:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yes, neo-nazi speech is so respectful (alt-right is just another name for white nationalism).

PostPosted: 06/19/17 8:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

(My) confusion reigns:

If I/you/we want to....

....name our club "Niqqers Only"....
....name our team "The Child Molesters"....
....name our town paper "The Hitler Herald"....
....name our choir "No Jewz Aloud"....

....I/you/we MAY do that, with no concern for legal repercussion?

PostPosted: 06/19/17 8:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
(My) confusion reigns:

If I/you/we want to....

I would hope so. What else could free speech mean?

PostPosted: 06/19/17 8:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
(My) confusion reigns:

If I/you/we want to....

I don't know why there would ever have been "legal repercussions." You've always been free to use those terms. The only issue was whether the govt had to grant you a trademark for the offensive name, not whether you were free to use the name.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: