68%
 68%  [ 15 ]
Total Votes : 22

Richyyy

PostPosted: 06/18/17 8:19 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
toad455 wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:
I like having no Bentley, Ogumike, Tuck and Kizer.

Ogwumike & Bentley to Chicago for Coates & their 2nd round pick?

I don't know why anyone thinks Ogwumike is ever going to play again. She's well into her post-playing career.

They gave her a multi-year extension to her playing contract when she agreed to sit out this year entirely, so presumably the Sun think she's going to play again. It's not like the PR of the extension would've done much for ticket sales.

If I were Chicago I'd happily do that trade purely on the gamble for Ogwumike. Really don't think Connecticut would, though.

PostPosted: 06/18/17 11:12 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Courtney Williams is clearly and up-and-comer and has obviously helped CT's winning streak. I watched a little of CT during the losing streak but a lot more during the winning streak. What I love about Williams is how quickly and efficiently she can create her shots. It allows both Thomases the ability to be playmakers, since they're the two primary players who can create for others.

So, regarding Bentley, a player I like, I wonder if she dominates the ball a little too often for the other playmakers to do their thing. I don't think Williams will continue to shoot upwards of 50% either, but even if she doesn't, I'd be asking whether Williams' presence is simply better for team chemistry on CT. While it's trended that way so far, I don't love making judgments based on 5-game samples either. Another factor in what to do with Bentley is that Banham is improving fast. Good to see that she is showing some of that offensive game that she showed in college. Once you see the mid-range game in a player, that usually means that player is trending upward fast.

If CT is giving Bentley away cheap, I know I'd take her on NY. I think her game meshes well with the system because even though she's short, she doesn't shy away from contact.

Looking at the numbers, CT has a point differential of nearly +6!!!! Even though they're 5-5, that's a point differential that's more worthy of an 8-2 team. They're not just beating teams, but they're dominant offensively and in most games defensively too. Another great game plan by Miller last night to limit Fowles' touches, especially in the Lynx high-low sets. It opened up Moore for more touches, but let's be real. You can't stop everyone, so limiting the player shooting 66% was the right move. I was critical of him last year, but give Miller credit as well as the organization for sticking with him. They were ridiculously well-prepared for NY and gave the Libs a beating, physically and on the scoreboard. They were very well-prepared last night as well. The acquisitions of Jones and Williams look great.

I know on the Sun facebook, people were destroying them during their poor start. Nobody could have predicted the run they've had of late to this degree. But it's amazing what time can do, huh?

PostPosted: 06/18/17 11:25 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:
Nobody could have predicted the run they've had of late to this degree. But it's amazing what time can do, huh?

Also amazing what luck can do. The combination of Tuck's injury (and the lack of useable post backups) pushing Alyssa Thomas to the 4 while adding Stricklen in at the 3, plus Bentley leaving to open up the spot for Courtney Williams, led Miller right into a starting lineup that worked - which he never would've found otherwise.

Pushing AThomas mostly to the 4 makes her much more effective because she can survive defensively while being much quicker than most of the players guarding her, and her awful shooting isn't as much of a issue. Stricklen doesn't really do anything other than shoot threes, which has actually made her a really nice fit next to Thomas (when the pairing with Tuck hadn't really clicked).

It's going to be interesting to see what Miller does when the players come back. I think he should stick with this group, and let Bentley become a Jamal Crawford-style second unit gunner. There's been no real information about how injured Tuck is, but if she's back any time soon I'd bring her off the bench as well.

PostPosted: 06/18/17 11:30 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

That's a very good point. Thomas has also used her physical strength admirably around the rim in those situations once her quickness has enabled her to gain some space. While it's unquestionable that the lineup change has worked to Thomas' advantage, I'd wonder if she can sustain what she is doing from a physical standpoint. Teams have not been able to exploit CT in the paint during this stretch. Will that hold up over the course of the season? It's an interesting question. But to this point, she's done well not only on the offensive side, but her defense has been terrific as well. I don't think her skill set has changed much, but her mentality and/or physical aptitude certainly have.

PostPosted: 06/18/17 11:41 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The impressive thing about CT is their passing and decision-making. You don't see that from a lot of teams, much less a young one. And they were so composed. Every time MN made a mini-run to start pulling away, the Sun responded. That has to be the product of good coaching. Miller deserves a lot of credit. This was not a case of the favorite losing because they had a letdown. CT rose to the occasion, and they outperformed a Lynx team that shot 51.4% from the field.

PostPosted: 06/18/17 11:45 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Another impressive thing about Williams is her rebounding - 4.9 per game in 26 minutes. In college she was a very good rebounder. Very impressive for a guard. Bentley as the off the bench gunner makes a lot of sense.

NYL_WNBA_FAN

PostPosted: 06/18/17 11:47 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Jasmine Thomas is emerging even further as a PG, I think. The Thomases in screen/roll situations were lethal last night. Excellent play design to get Alyssa open in the paint repeatedly, but also good BB IQ from both players. Jasmine really is showing a more advanced understanding of when to score and when to pass. She had an uncharacteristic 7 TOs last night but her 3 point percentage is up to 50% and her assists are near 5 per game. Jasmine is up to .378 from the field now as well. She's playing the best ball of her career, as is Alyssa. Let's see if it continues.

PostPosted: 06/18/17 12:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
The impressive thing about CT is their passing and decision-making. You don't see that from a lot of teams, much less a young one. And they were so composed. Every time MN made a mini-run to start pulling away, the Sun responded. That has to be the product of good coaching. Miller deserves a lot of credit. This was not a case of the favorite losing because they had a letdown. CT rose to the occasion, and they outperformed a Lynx team that shot 51.4% from the field.

Yeah, just to clarify, by saying luck played a part I didn't mean to criticise Miller. Every coach needs some luck now and then. David Lee was slated to start and play heavy minutes at the 4 before he got hurt and opened up time for a quiet guy called Draymond Green in Steve Kerr's first season in Golden State. Sometimes shit happens and it works out.

Given how well it's worked for several games now though, it's amazing how little AThomas played at the 4 in her first 3-and-a-bit seasons. Two head coaches barely even tried it until pretty much being forced into it.

PostPosted: 06/18/17 12:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:
Jasmine Thomas is emerging even further as a PG, I think. The Thomases in screen/roll situations were lethal last night. Excellent play design to get Alyssa open in the paint repeatedly, but also good BB IQ from both players. Jasmine really is showing a more advanced understanding of when to score and when to pass. She had an uncharacteristic 7 TOs last night but her 3 point percentage is up to 50% and her assists are near 5 per game. Jasmine is up to .378 from the field now as well. She's playing the best ball of her career, as is Alyssa. Let's see if it continues.

Now if she could only make FT's with the game on the line. But she has certainly developed and improved a lot. Also impressive that she has never missed a game due to injury in her WNBA career.

Amplifying Richyyy's point - Jeff Teague rode the bench in Atlanta his first two season but due injury was forced into the starting lineup in the playoffs against Derek Rose and the Bulls. He player very well and his career took off, but probably wouldn't have happened but for the Hawks "bad luck".

toad455

PostPosted: 06/18/17 12:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

With Bentley coming back shortly, the Sun should stick with Tuck & A Thomas at PF once Tuck is healthy. Dump Adams & keep Fitzgerald.

PG: JThomas/Fitzgerald
SG: CWilliams/Banham
SF: Stricklen/Bentley
PF: AThomas/Tuck
C: JJones/Kizer/BJones

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Richyyy

PostPosted: 06/18/17 12:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
With Bentley coming back shortly, the Sun should stick with Tuck & A Thomas at PF once Tuck is healthy. Dump Adams & keep Fitzgerald.

PG: JThomas/Fitzgerald
SG: CWilliams/Banham
SF: Stricklen/Bentley
PF: AThomas/Tuck
C: JJones/Kizer/BJones

Bentley's about the size of your average gnome. She's not gonna be playing much 3 in this league.

PostPosted: 06/18/17 1:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
pilight wrote:
toad455 wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:

I don't know why anyone thinks Ogwumike is ever going to play again. She's well into her post-playing career.

They gave her a multi-year extension to her playing contract when she agreed to sit out this year entirely, so presumably the Sun think she's going to play again. It's not like the PR of the extension would've done much for ticket sales.

If I were Chicago I'd happily do that trade purely on the gamble for Ogwumike. Really don't think Connecticut would, though.

Pilight said the same thing last season and she did pretty well coming back from injury..

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
root_thing

PostPosted: 06/18/17 2:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:

Given how well it's worked for several games now though, it's amazing how little AThomas played at the 4 in her first 3-and-a-bit seasons. Two head coaches barely even tried it until pretty much being forced into it.

Alyssa Thomas was such a great college player at SF, just basically overpowering opponents with her combination of size and speed. Given her muscular 6-2 185 lb frame, there was no reason to think she couldn't do it at the next level. Alyssa just looks like an instant mismatch at the 3. All you needed to do was pair her off with a stretch 4 to offset Alyssa's lack of jump-shooting ability. I think that's why CT went out and got Camille Little. I'm still not convinced that Thomas at SF was any kind of failure. She had a decent rookie year, and then the injury bug struck her the next season. She was OK last year during a transition year under a new coach. However, the current alignment is producing such great results that Miller would be crazy to not keep using it.

PostPosted: 06/18/17 4:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Connecticut played really well. Jasmine shot amazing from 3 again against us. Our defense looked flustered at times trying to defend them. Williams is an amazing athlete and her hops are fantastic.

We had a fantastic crowd! Hope we have some good ones this coming weekend.

NYL_WNBA_FAN

PostPosted: 06/18/17 4:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Another benefit of Alyssa Thomas at the 4 is that between she and Jones, you have two players playing the post spots who can really burn you in transition. Couple that with the speed of Jasmine Thomas and Williams and you always have to be aware on transition defense.

PostPosted: 06/18/17 5:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:
Another benefit of Alyssa Thomas at the 4 is that between she and Jones, you have two players playing the post spots who can really burn you in transition. Couple that with the speed of Jasmine Thomas and Williams and you always have to be aware on transition defense.

It also puts an extra player on the floor who can grab a rebound and then immediately turn and push the ball up the floor themselves. Tuck isn't really going to do that but AThomas or Stricklen both can. That creates more transition chances as well because you're not searching for someone to outlet to - you just go.

PostPosted: 06/18/17 6:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Michelle89 wrote:
Richyyy wrote:
pilight wrote:
toad455 wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:

Pilight said the same thing last season and she did pretty well coming back from injury..

Whenever pilight says something, usually the opposite happens. Cool

pilight

PostPosted: 06/18/17 10:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SpaceJunkie wrote:
Michelle89 wrote:
Richyyy wrote:
pilight wrote:
toad455 wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:

Whenever pilight says something, usually the opposite happens. Cool

I am really bad at predicting the future

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: