RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Beyond The W

View previous topic :: View next topic  
hyperetic

PostPosted: 06/17/17 1:18 am    ::: Beyond The W Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
BTW: Recently, the WNBA released a commercial where many NBA stars voicing their support for the league and its players. Where do you stand in terms of supporting women’s sports and wanting to see them reach the same level of popularity as men’s sports like football?

BM: First things first, I would like to see our women treated better. In terms of TV deals, know that they are trying, and there’s a business side to it. So obviously, male athletes get paid more because there’s more funding, there’s more money involved. But I can’t wait to see our ladies treated better. They spend their lives and dedicate their lives to playing a sport and they entertain us. For them to be on salaries of $30,000 a year, I mean…they can work at McDonald’s and get paid more. So I would love to see more support.

http://beyondthew.com/i-would-like-to-see-our-women-treated-better-giants-wr-brandon-marshall-shows-support-for-the-wnba/
snlMINAJ

PostPosted: 06/18/17 5:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

oh please its minimum 30,000 for what 4-5 months?
so i don't like that argument.

josephkramer44

PostPosted: 06/18/17 8:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Harsh economic truth. The WNBA simply isn't economically viable. There are several reasons for it and to what extent each of them is responsible for it is up for debate. There is no need to delve into them here.

From what I have researched the big push last year has failed to garner any real attention or invigorate the league in any meaningful way, tv ratings are still disastrously low despite the better time slots and even the best teams in the league put roughly 6,000 fans or so in the stadium on any given night (the average and struggling teams put far far fewer). I also tend to reject the argument that women's basketball is more popular overseas. Trust me, having spent time in the Rodina and other Eastern European nations women's basketball is not watched in any meaningful way there either (men get more attention but even in places like the former Yugoslavia it isn't real big). They have a different (and sometimes murky) business model.

None of this means the WNBA should be shut down, but it does put things into perspective. The fan base loves it and the teams do their best to make the experience a good one for them. But corporate sponsors cannot be happy with the viewership numbers, ESPN is having serious economic difficulties and things may change with them real soon (talking even taking some of their stations off the air), advertisers can't see much point in putting their ads on during games and the owner of the WNBA can't be exceptionally thrilled with their bottom lines. I personally did purchase the league pass to help with my research and also to show support.

Even if a small profit is generated or a team breaks even that is not the reason the owners own and operate a sports team. That is a lot of extra work for not a lot of extra reward. Operating costs are only going to increase in the future and unless some things change drastically and soon the WNBA might be condemned to be in the status quo for a long time, perhaps forever (and it isn't very appealing). I have been doing serious research from 2015 to now and by the end of this season I should have a far more informed opinion. I just want to finish gathering a bit more data.

Randy

PostPosted: 06/18/17 8:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

snlMINAJ wrote:

I think the minimum is closer to 40k for an undrafted players, more for everyone else. There is also free housing, car, health coverage and other perks during the playing season. More than my daughter got as a teacher. Of course, it is less than than pocket change to most NBA players.

Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 06/18/17 9:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
snlMINAJ wrote:

I think the minimum is closer to 40k for an undrafted players, more for everyone else. There is also free housing, car, health coverage and other perks during the playing season. More than my daughter got as a teacher. Of course, it is less than than pocket change to most NBA players.

According to a Dec. 2016 article in Forbes that I just found, the average NBA salary at that time was $6.2 million.

PostPosted: 06/18/17 9:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Even the 30th pick in the 2017 NBA draft will make close to $1 million for their rookie year. Pennies compared to a WNBA salary.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: