Stars
25%
 25%  [ 3 ]
Liberty
75%
 75%  [ 9 ]
Total Votes : 12

Shades

PostPosted: 08/31/17 6:44 pm    ::: Stars @ Liberty - 9/01/17 Reply Reply with quote

New York, NY - 7:30 PM ET
TV: MSG
Online: League Pass

Game info:
http://www.wnba.com/game/20170901/SANNYL

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
toad455

PostPosted: 09/01/17 6:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Charles just 1-7 in the first 5 minutes. YIKES!

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
myrtle

PostPosted: 09/01/17 6:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Naturally Plum is doing well since I didn't play her in fantasy land today. Rolling Eyes

- Amanda Gorman
toad455

PostPosted: 09/01/17 7:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Zahui B had the perfect opportunity to play big minutes and she goes and picks up 2 fouls in 2 minutes. Mad

Fighting Artichoke

PostPosted: 09/01/17 7:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Assists on two straight possessions. If Boyd can't come back, Stokes can always play the point.

Fighting Artichoke

PostPosted: 09/01/17 7:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Fighting Artichoke wrote:
Assists on two straight possessions. If Boyd can't come back, Stokes can always play the point.

Make that 3 straight possessions.

Fighting Artichoke

PostPosted: 09/01/17 7:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Is LFO sending a message to the starters, or is he resting them?

NYL_WNBA_FAN

PostPosted: 09/01/17 7:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Why did that basket count?

PostPosted: 09/01/17 7:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Really wish we were blowing the Stars out. Only up by 3 at halftime.

toad455

PostPosted: 09/01/17 7:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Seriously, why is this such a close game?

toad455

PostPosted: 09/01/17 8:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Raincock really needs to work on her free throws for next season.

toad455

PostPosted: 09/01/17 11:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bonus that Charles played only 25 minutes. Only starter that played more than 30 was Prince(31 min).

ClayK

PostPosted: 09/02/17 8:40 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Lindsay Allen has 55 assists and 19 turnovers this season, a phenomenal ratio for a rookie.

But she can only get on the floor for 13.3 minutes because she just can't shoot. 38.6% overall and zero for 12 from three-point distance. Danielle Robinson is the exception that proves the rule: If you can't make three-pointers, your future on the perimeter in the WNBA is very limited.

Those jonesing for Jordin Canada take notice ...

PostPosted: 09/02/17 9:47 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Which makes you wonder if Laimbeer would keep her for next season when Boyd comes back. If not, another team will likely pick her up. Does Laimbeer keep her as the 3rd PG as insurance?

Shades

PostPosted: 09/02/17 11:36 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
Danielle Robinson is the exception that proves the rule: If you can't make three-pointers, your future on the perimeter in the WNBA is very limited.

Why is she the exception? She's had a disappointing season. I believe she's been coming off the bench for a while now.

I wonder if Jim Pitman would take back the trade of #5 and Harrison if he could. Harrison seems like she could do well next to Griner.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Jet Jaguar

PostPosted: 09/02/17 2:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
Lindsay Allen has 55 assists and 19 turnovers this season, a phenomenal ratio for a rookie.

She's a classic low risk, low reward point guard. Those are a dime a dozen. It's easy to not make turnovers when you don't make risky plays that elite players make that help teams win.

PostPosted: 09/02/17 2:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Canada shot 35% from 3 last season. Not great but I'm confident that is higher than Boyd or L. Allen shot in college. And is at least something that can be worked on, and will probably improve at the next level when she is not a primary scorer for her team.

I like L. Allen. I think she has a career in the W as a back up PG for at least a few years, and if she finds away to score more or shoot better she could make her way to being a starter. For now I think most teams including NY need a PG off the bench who won't screw things up, plays defense and knows who to get the ball to.

New York's success rate went way up when the combo of Harltey/Zellous and L. Allen as the back up took over the PG duties full time.

LibFan25

PostPosted: 09/02/17 3:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Jet Jaguar wrote:
ClayK wrote:

She's a classic low risk, low reward point guard. Those are a dime a dozen. It's easy to not make turnovers when you don't make risky plays that elite players make that help teams win.

I was just about to say something similar to this I just logged in, again she's a classic old school PG. Too each is own. Not knocking her but I prefer the whole package. scoring ability, passing, Speed, defense and fearlessness.

When Boyd comes back, Allen might have a chance to make the team if they let Hartley walk but I doubt it I think they resign her. Liberty got 3 choices, Sign a veteran PG, draft a PG, or keep Allen

toad455

PostPosted: 09/02/17 3:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Libs biggest need is a SF. Hartley can be a combo PG/SG for the team and there's always Zellous that can slide over to SG. I think R. Allen's job is more on the line than L. Allen's.

root_thing

PostPosted: 09/02/17 3:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:
Canada shot 35% from 3 last season. Not great but I'm confident that is higher than Boyd or L. Allen shot in college.

Allen shot 34.7% for her career. Low volume (51-147), but ND was full of 3pt shooters so she wasn't needed. Boyd was 26.7% for her career, but 34.3% (24-70) as a senior. Not that different from Canada's 35.4% (29-82) that you were referring to. Of course, Canada still has a year to improve.

Odd that people would choose this game to pick on Lindsay Allen. She played 21 minutes, helped guide the team to a season low 5 turnovers, and the Liberty won by double digits despite looking flat and getting out-hustled. I think conservative was exactly what Laimbeer wanted. The one thing NY still did well last night was play defense. So, against an inferior opponent, all they had to do was grind out some offense and not beat themselves with turnovers. It's like in football, teams with good defenses often play ground and pound offense to kill the clock and reduce turnovers.

Lindsay Allen is a rookie filling the role the team has asked her to play. Right now, steady is what they want from her. Hopefully, in the future, she develops her scoring more. But at age 22, it's awfully early to write her off as one thing or another. I would also point out that this past college season, Allen was tied for second in the nation in assists at 7.6 while also being second in ATO at 3.57. So, it looks to me like she has the ability to be both safe and effective with her passing.

PostPosted: 09/02/17 5:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm very impressed with what Lindsay Allen has given the Liberty this season. It's not easy being a WNBA rookie; it's not easy being a WNBA point guard. So to be both--with limited and sporadic minutes--is quite a challenge. In my view, she's been very steady, solid, and reliable. That's a lot under these circumstances.

Given how sporadically Allen has played, given how infrequently she's shot when on the court, I don't take her 2017 field goal percentage to mean much. I see no reason why she can't improve that stat in the coming seasons.

I still see Allen as the starting point guard of the future, though not as the starting point guard in 2018. My guess is that Hartley will have that role for one more season. Even assuming/hoping that Boyd is fully healthy by training camp, even with certain impressive skills that Boyd has, I don't see her as the answer at point guard.

PostPosted: 09/02/17 5:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Jet Jaguar wrote:
ClayK wrote:

The problem with your analysis is that her court vision is pretty close to elite. She makes occasional passes for easy layups that other players with inferior court vision/IQ could never make. For players with inferior court vision, these would be termed high-risk passes. Allen makes them look easy.

Otherwise she's athletic and smart with decent shooting touch. All attributes that suggest she will improve. Jasmine Thomas went from low-risk player to all-star. Allen's physical skill set is similarly pretty impressive and could well lead to improvement.

PostPosted: 09/02/17 5:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:
Jet Jaguar wrote:
ClayK wrote:

The problem with your analysis is that her court vision is pretty close to elite. She makes occasional passes for easy layups that other players with inferior court vision/IQ could never make. For players with inferior court vision, these would be termed high-risk passes. Allen makes them look easy.

Otherwise she's athletic and smart with decent shooting touch. All attributes that suggest she will improve. Jasmine Thomas went from low-risk player to all-star. Allen's physical skill set is similarly pretty impressive and could well lead to improvement.

Well said. Completely agree.

PostPosted: 09/02/17 6:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I hope Allen does improves her aggressiveness/scoring ability, only good for the Libs if she does it will be another threat on the court, but until then i don't see it

NYL_WNBA_FAN

PostPosted: 09/02/17 7:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I tend to view players through a lens of potential progression. First off, does she have the speed and athleticism to penetrate? She's not Boyd or Jas Thomas fast but she's pretty mobile. Does she have the shooting form to eventually improve her shooting? I don't see it as being great but I do it see it as being workable. She wouldn't be the first player to do it. She also has the high character/intelligence/intangibles factor to improve. I don't think she'll come in next year lacking in conditioning, not knowing plays and not advancing her offensive game as two other Liberty young players have done in the last two seasons.

Regarding the D-Rob comparison above, she (and Whalen) have both been excellent midrange shooters through much of their careers without adding much of a three point threat. A PG with vision and passing ability will get some open midrange looks because allowing them to penetrate provides a dual scoring/passing threat most teams don't want to give up. Whalen has made a career of it. So I don't really care about Allen's 3 ball. My question is will she develop a midrange game to keep defenders somewhat honest? The jury is out. But if I had to pick the type of player I think will improve, her intangibles fit the description.

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: