RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Who Is The Best Offensive Player YOU'VE Ever Seen?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Best Offensive Player
Cynthia Cooper
13%
 13%  [ 12 ]
Becky Hammon
3%
 3%  [ 3 ]
Lauren Jackson
23%
 23%  [ 20 ]
Lisa Leslie
1%
 1%  [ 1 ]
Hortencia Marcari
1%
 1%  [ 1 ]
Cheryl Miller
3%
 3%  [ 3 ]
Maya Moore
6%
 6%  [ 6 ]
Katie Smith
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Jackie Stiles
2%
 2%  [ 2 ]
Sheryl Swoopes
8%
 8%  [ 7 ]
Diana Taurasi
30%
 30%  [ 26 ]
Tina Thompson
1%
 1%  [ 1 ]
Lynette Woodard
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Other
4%
 4%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 86

pilight

PostPosted: 06/07/17 3:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm puzzled how a player who has led the WNBA in scoring multiple times was left off the list in favor of several players who have never won a scoring title or have only done so once.

PostPosted: 06/07/17 3:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Deanna Nolan
5thmantheme

PostPosted: 06/07/17 4:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

old (!) Cooper
K Mitchell
LJ
DT

Cheryl Miller
Uljana Semjonova

K Plum senior season only
Angel in the playoffs
EDD in regular season

Maya Moore ... here's the index player : did X do better than Maya, yes/no?
Swoopes

justintyme

PostPosted: 06/07/17 4:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shouldn’t Sophia Young be an option? She was pretty offensive...

PostPosted: 06/07/17 5:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
I'm puzzled how a player who has led the WNBA in scoring multiple times was left off the list in favor of several players who have never won a scoring title or have only done so once.

Who on this list would you take McCoughtry over?

PostPosted: 06/07/17 6:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Genero36 wrote:
pilight wrote:

Stiles's name doesn't belong on this list IMO

PostPosted: 06/07/17 6:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Rock Hard wrote:
I see that some of you named male players and not female players. When I made a similar response to a thread like this I was ridiculed for using male examples and not female ones. Confused

Poor Rock, abused and picked on by all and sundry Wink

btw: I voted DT also. The others are pretty awesome too but to me DT has just been other-worldly (in many ways!) throughout a very long career.

Yes I am the Rodney Dangerfield of this board I get no respect. Twisted Evil

PostPosted: 06/07/17 6:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:
Stiles's name doesn't belong on this list IMO

She was so great in college and she was rookie of the year over Lauren. She had that offensive move that was indefensible during her rookie year. No one could stop her, unless they fouled her and she still got her shot off. Injuries did her in, but I understand that she didn't have much of a pro career.

PostPosted: 06/07/17 7:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Out of that list, I'm going to go with Taurasi, with Cooper a close second.

But it's all relative. How many brilliant college scorers have there been who shone in their specific tier? When I think of unmitigated offense, my first thought is Damika Martinez at Iona.

(now with spelling variations)
pilight

PostPosted: 06/07/17 7:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Genero36 wrote:
pilight wrote:

I'm just saying five players have multiple WNBA scoring titles and four of them are on the list. Angel gets no respect.

PostPosted: 06/07/17 7:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Genero36 wrote:
pilight wrote:

I'm just saying five players have multiple WNBA scoring titles and four of them are on the list. Angel gets no respect.

Is it weird that I think Angel's too good a defensive player to be considered here? While there are some good defensive players on the list, I took it as all-offense/no-defense.

(now with spelling variations)
pilight

PostPosted: 06/07/17 7:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
pilight wrote:
Genero36 wrote:
pilight wrote:

Is it weird that I think Angel's too good a defensive player to be considered here? While there are some good defensive players on the list, I took it as all-offense/no-defense.

Three players on that list won Defensive POY. Two of them won it multiple times. You really think Angel is better defensively than Sheryl Swoopes?

PostPosted: 06/07/17 11:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

hyperetic wrote:
ClayK wrote:
Cynthia Cooper -- and she was in her mid-30s at the time. Frightening to think how good she was at 25.

X_____________________-

This can't be co-signed enough! Best 4 year run of any player the league has even seen.

jap

PostPosted: 06/07/17 11:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Genero36 wrote:
pilight wrote:

The prevalent way how many measure 'greatness' is by counting championship rings. I think that is the lazy sports fan's method of determining greatness. There have been many superlative talents who have toiled on non-great teams for much of their careers who get overlooked while those who happened to enjoy impressive supporting players tend to get unfair nods over others who were better.

Using the prevalent lazy way of measuring 'greatness' the Dark Angel would be overlooked because she never won a WNBA championship, despite stellar playoff efforts. Obviously, I reject that silly way of determining greatness because it makes no sense.

Teams win championships---not players!

It makes no sense to say Player X has won Y championships therefore he|she is the GOAT. I say put Player X out there by him- or herself against a full squad and see how many championships they will win then! It is incredibly disrespectful to the supporting cast to even pretend much more believe that any single player can be said to have won championships.

PostPosted: 06/07/17 11:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Iluvacc wrote:
hyperetic wrote:
ClayK wrote:
Cynthia Cooper -- and she was in her mid-30s at the time. Frightening to think how good she was at 25.

X_____________________-

This can't be co-signed enough! Best 4 year run of any player the league has even seen.

And just think: she was only a role player in college while Cheryl Miller was the Hoops Queen of that collegiate team and all of female basketball.

PostPosted: 06/07/17 11:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rock Hard wrote:
myrtle wrote:
Rock Hard wrote:
I see that some of you named male players and not female players. When I made a similar response to a thread like this I was ridiculed for using male examples and not female ones. Confused

Poor Rock, abused and picked on by all and sundry Wink

btw: I voted DT also. The others are pretty awesome too but to me DT has just been other-worldly (in many ways!) throughout a very long career.

Yes I am the Rodney Dangerfield of this board I get no respect. Twisted Evil

If there were a heart emoticon, I'd send it to you. What the world needs now is love, sweet love...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2cW8Alo_5uI

- Amanda Gorman
J-Spoon

PostPosted: 06/08/17 1:34 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think Angel should be on the list my guess is the original poster might not have considered her a good enough shooter. OTOH if anyone is going to surpass Taurasi as the top scorer of all time my money would be on Angel.

I doubt she would win but I probably would include Cappie on the list as well. She may have been the bigger scoring threat the years she was in PX than DT. In her prime Pondexter's one on one game was as good as it gets.

With that said I vote DT.

boogiezen

PostPosted: 06/08/17 9:56 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

DT
LJ
EDD

"Kim Yu-Na. A living, breathing work of art from Korea" - Cam Cole, Vancouver Sun
GEF34

PostPosted: 07/16/17 6:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

When you say score from anywhere, to me that includes being able to score with your back to the basket, so I would say Lauren Jackson followed by Lisa Leslie would be the top 2. Older players like Cheryl Miller I don't know if they could, and if I remember correctly Sheryl Swoopes would post up on occasion, but not as much as Lauren and Lisa. Then you have players like Tina Thompson who could score in any way, and ended her career as the all-time leading scorer in the WNBA, but she never had reputation as a scorer like Lauren and Lisa did.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 07/16/17 8:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Iluvacc wrote:
hyperetic wrote:
ClayK wrote:

X_____________________-

Diana.

The topic, to me, isn't about a four year WNBA run. Even if it were, Diana has had better scoring four year runs than Cooper in the WNBA as well as a six year run from 2006-2011.

Diana can score from anywhere on the court, is the best three point shooter I've seen, and is as good a passer as I've ever seen even though she usually hasn't played the point.

Diana has had a great 13 year run in the WNBA, averaging 20 ppg, which is a tad more data, and arguably against better competition, than Cooper's four year run averaging 21 ppg.

I don't know how good Cooper was at 25 but she wasn't elite at USC at 21. Diana had much more impressive high school and college careers. In college Diana was a three-time first team All-American, won multiple NPOY awards and won three national championships. Cooper was never a first (or perhaps any) team All-American and won two national championships.

Cooper was a great scorer for one year in Spain and nine years in the Italian league, but who saw it, and how could it be the equal of Taurasi's record. Diana has won has won multiple championships in every overseas league she's played in against the world's best players for at least 11 years.

Taurasi has a much more impressive USAB and Olympic career than Cooper. Taurasi has four Olympic golds, two World Championship golds and one WC bronze. Cooper has one gold and one bronze in the Olympics and two golds in the WC. Cooper was third in scoring in the 88 Olympics and tied for fifth in 92. She either didn't make or didn't try out for the 96 team.

Summary of Taurasi vs. Cooper:

DT: Three times college AA, multiple college NPOYs, four Olympic gold medals, 13 years as a WNBA star, 11 years as an international star.

CC: Never a college AA, never a college NPOY, one Olympic gold, 4 years as a WNBA star, 10 years as an international star.

Finally, Cooper apparently never played international and American pro ball during the same years. Diana has done so almost every year since graduating college. Diana's body has had twice the playing time toll and much less downtime rest than Cooper's for all their post-college years.
FollowtheCardinalRule

PostPosted: 07/16/17 10:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
Out of that list, I'm going to go with Taurasi, with Cooper a close second.

But it's all relative. How many brilliant college scorers have there been who shone in their specific tier? When I think of unmitigated offense, my first thought is Damika Martinez at Iona.

Speaking of players at their specific tiers--how can you forget Holy Coley, Kevi Luper (ORU), Heather Butler and Jasmine Newsome (Tenn-Martin), Kim Demmings (Wright State), the ever formidable Kelsey Minato (Army).

In terms of overall? The best I've seen is Lauren Jackson. I still don't understand how a team with Tina Thompson, Sheryl Swoopes, and Diana loses to Russia in 2006. It just boggles my mind.

ster II

PostPosted: 07/17/17 5:23 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CYNTHIA COOPER

SDHoops

PostPosted: 07/17/17 6:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Would like to add some players I've seen in person: Shoni Schimmel at the college level was dynamic. Charde Houston had the potential to be an all time great, but two words: diva and defense. Too much of one and not the other. Cappie in the W has just been awesome, but left for stardom that never really came. All time I'd say Leslie, Taurasi, LJ, and Coop with Charles, Moore, and Nneka on the come up. As for Lori Ann, see Charde.

ClayK

PostPosted: 07/17/17 10:44 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Love Diana ... her high school team did not win a state championship, Cynthia's did. If you're going to point to accomplishments based on who's around you, then let's go back to high school, where one player can and often does carry a team by herself. Chino never even got close to a state title ...

Stats, though controversial, are somewhat unbiased.

Top four-year win share total: Cooper 29.1, DT 22.6

Eff Shooting %: Cooper 52.7, DT 52

True Shooting %: Cooper 61, DT 58.4

Not necessarily definitive, but definitely make a case for Cooper.

PostPosted: 07/17/17 11:36 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
Love Diana ... her high school team did not win a state championship, Cynthia's did. If you're going to point to accomplishments based on who's around you, then let's go back to high school, where one player can and often does carry a team by herself. Chino never even got close to a state title ...

Stats, though controversial, are somewhat unbiased.

Top four-year win share total: Cooper 29.1, DT 22.6

Eff Shooting %: Cooper 52.7, DT 52

True Shooting %: Cooper 61, DT 58.4

Not necessarily definitive, but definitely make a case for Cooper.

OTOH, in college Cooper was never the best player on her team, and often not considered the second best.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: