RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Wonder Woman
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51
View previous topic :: View next topic  
norwester

PostPosted: 06/05/17 3:13 pm    ::: Wonder Woman Reply Reply with quote

Saw it this weekend. Enjoyed it. (I typically enjoy the modern superhero movie, however). Enjoyed the upbeat tone. Gal Gadot made a fantastic Wonder Woman, in my opinion, and really carried the trifecta of dramatic moments, action moments, and comedic moments well.

There's a lot being made of "female superhero" and "female director". Rightfully so, as far as the dearth of both (looking at you, Marvel). It's a rather large burden for a singular movie to have to stand for "all women", but I feel this one succeeds. I also think as far as box office receipts it'll have more legs than some of the more recent comic book offerings, buoyed by positive reviews and a somewhat atypical audience (i.e. women make up over 50% of the audience, when they usually hover around a 40% share for this type).

I also thought the WWI setting was an interesting one. I feel like we've seen a lot more of WWII in media over the years, so much that a lot of WWI is still murky to me (the average American with no particular education in history), which made it a good war to underpin the movie's themes of the duality of human nature, and choosing to love and fight for humanity nonetheless.

Anyway, anyone else see it this weekend?

PostPosted: 06/05/17 7:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm a big superhero fan and have been in love with Wonder Woman since the Korean War, but I'm too cheap to spend money on movie theaters. I'm waiting for it to pop up on pirate movie sites.

World War l was "the war to end all wars". How'd that work out?
gpark33

PostPosted: 06/05/17 7:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm not a big superhero person, my wife is, and she has been bouncing off the walls to see it. We both loved it and thought it was very well done.

PostPosted: 06/06/17 8:41 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

One word: AMAZING!!!!!!

Will definitely go see it again. I'm a child of the 70s and grew up with the tv show. I had the doll. Been waiting for this movie my entire life. And it did not disappoint!!

And I'm stalking all the Amazons (who are all athletes) on Instagram! I have no shame! #adultgroupie

PostPosted: 06/06/17 9:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I haven't seen it yet but I will. Never been a huge Wonder Woman fan, Superman was always my favorite but only the Christoper Reeves era (Superman and Superman II were brilliant, III was terrible though, and IV was better than III but still crappy), and then Superman Returns with Brandon Routhe was in my opinion, the 3rd best Superman movie. It was a direct sequel to Superman and Superman II, ignoring the events in III and IV and Superman Returns was a fun lighthearted adventure like the original 2 movies.

I am a fan of the more lighthearted superhero films like the original Superman movies and detest the modern films because they are all dark, brooding, heavy, muddled, humorless, heartless giant special effects and explosions garbage with no real interesting story. The recent Man of Steel and Superman VS Batman was horrendous garbage. Superhero movies with the older classic characters, like Superman, Wonder Woman, Spider-Man should all be treated as light hearted fun movies. I enjoyed the first couple of old Batman movies because they too were fun and lighthearted, and then they went a different route and became dark and humorless crap that makes one want to slit their wrists while sitting in the theater watching them.

What is the reason Wonder Woman is such an early success? The reasons I stated above.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 06/06/17 11:38 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

In the comics in the 50's Wonder Woman could not fly but had an invisible jet plane that she used a lot.

How does the movie treat her flying abilities and the plane?

I agree that dark and brooding portrayals of superheroes, or handicapping them with deep psychological problems, are mostly pretentious and boring attempts to be "artsy" or "meaningful".

Actually, Hollywood has been dead for decades and movies are cultural nothingburgers compared to what they were 40 to 90 years ago. TV, the internet, CGI and moral degeneration in society has diminished the entire industry. When I was a kid, everyone knew and had probably seen the top 10 movies nominated for the Oscars every year. Today, most people know nothing about most of the movies that get nominated. What? Who? The star system is long gone.

Does a box of buttered popcorn still cost 10 cents? On Saturday afternoons at the Ritz kids could see a double feature and 10 cartoons for 25 cents. You could see a double feature at the Empire for 21 cents, but that theater would only have one or two cartoons if any.

End nostalgia rant -- but Wonder Woman, you go, gal.
Ay Mate

PostPosted: 06/06/17 12:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Agreed. I had huge high hopes for Man of Steel when it came out. I went to go see it, not reading reviews or spoilers, knowing nothing at all about it except that it was a reboot origin story. Sitting in the theater I was pretty much disgusted that the younger generation got to see Superman portrayed this way, probably being the first time they were ever exposed to the character. I left after 2hrs even more disgusted. That was NOT Superman in any way shape or form. The actor Henry what's his name was a terrible choice for the lead. They made the character appear to be a manic despressive. I was waiting for him to start popping pills. The relationship between Clark and Lois was a joke, completely ruined by the fact that she knew from the beginning that he was actually Superman. And the fact that Clark at the Daily Planet wasn't even featured until the last 2 seconds made the movie even more infuriating. The most fun part of Superman is when he's Clark Kent at the Daily Planet with Lois trying to hide his identity while in love with Lois, but her in love with Superman.

The entire action battle sequence with Zod at the end was overblown, dark, endless, and boring as hell. I feel badly for kids who only know this 'new' Superman.

mercfan3

PostPosted: 06/06/17 2:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

She doesn't really fly, she jumps very long distances. She doesn't have the plane though.

I loved it. I thought it was really done well, and a nice origin story. I'm not familiar with the comic book, but the movie, I thought, was very good.

I think the Batman trilogy was done quite well (the one with The Dark Knight). But, IMO, Batman needs to be "brooding." However, following the same formula doesn't work every time. I would think every superhero's personality would dictate what the story should be. (See Deadpool).

Wonder Woman isn't dark and brooding. If I were to compare it to anything, it would be more of a coming of age feel. Maybe the First Harry Potter movie. (Wonder Woman discovers a new world. Learns truths. Discovers who the true bad guy is. etc..)

PostPosted: 06/06/17 6:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I wrote a short treatment for Supergirl not soon after the first two Superman movies and before the Supergirl movie itself. When my friend read it, his reply was that what I wrote was definitely better than what WB did for their Supergirl movie, but I was still early in my career and I was still learning the ropes. Ah, well... a guy can dream, and my life's not over yet...

If you cannot inspire yourself to read a book about women's basketball, or any book about women's sports, you cannot inspire any young girl or boy to write a book about them. http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Richardstrek
norwester

PostPosted: 06/07/17 3:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I do enjoy the Supergirl TV show. I think they do a great job of portraying that joy and optimism, while also showing that Supergirl chooses to be hopeful, because she has some real baggage (i.e. remembering her home planet that blew up). The show is by no means perfect, but I enjoy it.

Yeah, as mercfan said she doesn't fly. But the set-up of the movie being coming of age, and how she's learning what her powers are on the job mean that we don't know all that this incarnation will eventually be able to do. Also, technologically jets don't exist yet, so she could still get an invisible one!

PostPosted: 06/07/17 4:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

norwester wrote:
I do enjoy the Supergirl TV show. I think they do a great job of portraying that joy and optimism, while also showing that Supergirl chooses to be hopeful, because she has some real baggage (i.e. remembering her home planet that blew up). The show is by no means perfect, but I enjoy it.

Yeah, as mercfan said she doesn't fly. But the set-up of the movie being coming of age, and how she's learning what her powers are on the job mean that we don't know all that this incarnation will eventually be able to do. Also, technologically jets don't exist yet, so she could still get an invisible one!

I like the Supergirl show too. In my treatment of Supergirl, I had Brainiac as the villain (not some silly wannabe witch), and I had Comet the Superhorse in it as well. Somewhere, Comet needs to be in an episode of Supergirl.

If you cannot inspire yourself to read a book about women's basketball, or any book about women's sports, you cannot inspire any young girl or boy to write a book about them. http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Richardstrek
GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 06/07/17 7:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The movie is now available on Putlocker and FMovie, but at a very low video quality--too low for me. Interestingly, the low quality seems to show how much of everything is CGI. After time, these sites manage to get higher quality versions.

As a warning, I would not log onto these websites without a strong anti-virus/malware program and an ad blocker. Even then, you still get popups trying to get you to click on things or download things.

Quote:
Fans have wondered whether we would be seeing the Invisible Plane in the movie (and made many jokes about how we wouldn’t be able to see an invisible plane anyway!), but it won’t be arriving just yet. During a Hall H panel at SDCC, director Patty Jenkins was asked if the jet would be making an appearance – and replied with an emphatic “no.” However, Jenkins did say that although it would not be in this movie, it could well make an appearance in future, saying that this movie is set too early in Wonder Woman’s story to give us “the jet we want”.

http://screenrant.com/wonder-woman-things-you-did-not-know-about-her-invisible-jet/
Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 06/07/17 7:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ughh ... nothing worse than when stolen goods turn out to be poor quality, amirite?

I still haven't seen this movie, but hoping to in the next couple of days.

PostPosted: 06/10/17 1:21 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ms. Magazine: "When Will Wonder Woman Be a Fat, Femme Woman of Color?"

http://msmagazine.com/blog/2017/06/05/will-wonder-woman-fat-femme-woman-color/
Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 06/10/17 1:52 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:

I tried, but I had to bail when I reached
Quote:
the film could have spotlighted female warriors with fat, thick and short body types. While people have said that warriors can’t be fat, some of our best paid male athletes are, particularly linebackers on the football field, and no one doubts their physical strength.

Here's a movie taking a sizeable stride in the forward direction, and the article is about what else it could have done? How about writing that article in response to ... well, pretty much every other big movie released this year, instead of Wonder Woman!
I haven't seen anyone claim that everything is balanced now that this movie has been made.

PostPosted: 06/10/17 11:50 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:

I tried, but I had to bail when I reached
Quote:
the film could have spotlighted female warriors with fat, thick and short body types. While people have said that warriors can’t be fat, some of our best paid male athletes are, particularly linebackers on the football field, and no one doubts their physical strength.

Here's a movie taking a sizeable stride in the forward direction, and the article is about what else it could have done? How about writing that article in response to ... well, pretty much every other big movie released this year, instead of Wonder Woman!
I haven't seen anyone claim that everything is balanced now that this movie has been made.

That, in a nutshell, is the biggest problem with young liberals in the U.S.. Idealism is wonderful, but it doesn't help anything to criticize improvements for the sole fact that they aren't perfect. Not when so much else is either neutral or a step back. Appreciate progress.

PostPosted: 06/10/17 5:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:

After seeing the movie this afternoon, I suppose the writers and readers of that article wouldn't appreciate me noting that if Wonder Woman was fat, she likely wouldn't be pulling off all those acrobatic high flying feats of derring-do?
Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 06/11/17 3:21 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

OK, finally saw it. Loved it!
I thought it had way more heart than typical comic book movies. It's very well rounded. Easy to see why it is doing so well - it actually treats the audience with some respect.

PostPosted: 06/11/17 9:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This sounds a bit fabricated to me, but it's fun reading nevertheless ...

Patty Jenkins @PattyJenks wrote:
My producer just sent me this... ABSOLUTELY INCREDIBLE! This makes every hard day worth it. Thank you to whomever wrote it!!❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️

https://twitter.com/PattyJenks/status/874034832430424065

PostPosted: 06/11/17 10:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

^...and then the whole bus clapped!

Wink

PostPosted: 06/12/17 10:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

New Republic: Wonder Woman Is Propaganda--Why debating the “feminist” stakes of a movie about American military ideology is a laughable prospect

Quote:
It’s as if a five-year-old were let loose in the Encyclopedia Britannica then allowed to draw boobs and a heart of gold on his findings. As a result, the plot is both absurd and comfortingly familiar. Emerging from this mess—a hodgepodge of myth, twentieth-century American propaganda . . . .

. . . Diana comes across as fairly stupid a lot of the time.

It’s a movie for kids, a movie intended to teach them what it means to be an American hero. That’s the political sensibility of the DC Comics world, no matter how . . . often the word “feminist” is used to promote its movies.

The engine of American ideology drives Wonder Woman, which is in the end a movie about violence. . . . Wonder Woman has no use for global history except as grist for American exceptionalism . . . .

This movie is a document of political indoctrination. . . . the idea that we should debate how “feminist” Wonder Woman may or may not be is, despite its female director and star, laughable.

Wonder Woman is currently being banned and boycotted in many Muslim majority countries. It this because it is perceived as American propaganda or as Israeli-Zionist propaganda? News articles make it sound more the latter.

I haven't yet seen the movie, but the change of her traditional red, white-starred and blue costume suggests that Wonder Woman has been transmogrified from a patriotic American hero, born as she was in the American comics of WWII, into some sort of generic symbol of insipid globalism -- contrary to the New Republic article.

Well, what is she: a feminist propaganda prop, an American propaganda prop, a Zionist propaganda prop, or a globalist propaganda prop?
justintyme

PostPosted: 06/12/17 11:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

^ This is why we can't have nice things.

PostPosted: 06/13/17 6:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
Wonder Woman is currently being banned and boycotted in many Muslim majority countries. It this because it is perceived as American propaganda or as Israeli-Zionist propaganda? News articles make it sound more the latter.

Because it stars an Israeli in the lead

PostPosted: 06/13/17 9:43 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
...I haven't yet seen the movie, but the change of her traditional red, white-starred and blue costume suggests that Wonder Woman has been transmogrified from a patriotic American hero, born as she was in the American comics of WWII, into some sort of generic symbol of insipid globalism -- contrary to the New Republic article.

Well, what is she: a feminist propaganda prop, an American propaganda prop, a Zionist propaganda prop, or a globalist propaganda prop?

I haven't seen the movie, but judging from the picture, it appears that the newer Wonder Woman looks more like Xena, Warrior Princess! Cool

PostPosted: 06/13/17 6:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't mind the Ms. article's existence. It's possible to like and even appreciate something while simultaneously working towards something more. Being critical of the media I consume doesn't necessarily impact my enjoyment.

Edit: The New Republic article, on the other hand, is pretty ridiculous. When a movie gets criticism for not being American enough and being too American, I guess they hit the right tone? Rolling Eyes Laughing

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: