RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

How do you keep up with the League?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
chapulana

PostPosted: 05/29/18 4:53 am    ::: How do you keep up with the League? Reply Reply with quote

I know this is a stupid question. I know it. The answer should be as simple as "read news, watch games, normal stuff..."

But, personally, how do you keep updated with the League as it progresses through the season? How do you know (or at least how did you get started, as I'm a new fan of the W and am interested in that most) each player and team style and keep up with narratives of who's leading the MVP or ROY race?

Of course you can read news, but that doesn't paint the whole picture. Yes, Liz is on them and people is saying he's back for that MVP after her time out of the league, but I'd like to know more about her than just that in terms of her game. The solution would be to watch games, but I'm sure some of us (like me) don't have enough time to watch every game (who could...) and as opposed to the NBA where you can find 10-min "condensed" recaps of every game in YouTube for example, I have found very little of that content for the WNBA.

I think there are no condensed games or highlight-packaged games being uploaded anywhere, right (only those 1:30-min highlights that are stupid)? So I guess the best way to know about the different league/player styles is to just watch different teams each night and just read the game recaps of the other games played?

I acknowledge I've always struggled with getting into new leagues, but I'm super excited about the WNBA as I've always been a basketball fan but never got interested in it. Now I've found it looks pretty amazing but I have not much time to give to it (maybe one, one and a half hour a day?) so I can't just watch everything happening around the W.

Any personal stories of how did you get started and learn about the players and the teams? Recommendations to catch up and keep up with the storylines during the season?

Thanks and sorry for the messy idea behind the topic haha!

FemmeFatale

PostPosted: 05/29/18 6:24 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Every team has an Instagram and Twitter page, those are my two main resources as the WNBA.com is lacking and not very timely. If you are on instagram, there is a page called "WNBAHoopz" and they do a very good job posting updates about players and teams. If you are interested in chatting with people during games, Rebkell is great for debates and conversations.

chapulana

PostPosted: 05/29/18 6:32 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FemmeFatale wrote:
Every team has an Instagram and Twitter page, those are my two main resources as the WNBA.com is lacking and not very timely. If you are on instagram, there is a page called "WNBAHoopz" and they do a very good job posting updates about players and teams. If you are interested in chatting with people during games, Rebkell is great for debates and conversations.

That IG account looks great!

Also, which is the best way to learn about the W players and their tendencies/playing styles on top of watching full games? You can kind of do that in the NBA by playing videogames for example, or it is easy to find highlight packages, but not so much for the WNBA... :/

FemmeFatale

PostPosted: 05/29/18 7:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

chapulana wrote:
FemmeFatale wrote:

That IG account looks great!

Also, which is the best way to learn about the W players and their tendencies/playing styles on top of watching full games? You can kind of do that in the NBA by playing videogames for example, or it is easy to find highlight packages, but not so much for the WNBA... :/

Yeah, the WNBA is lacking greatly in this department. Someone on here may know of better resources than I do, but as of right now, WNBA.com has all of the stats of the players, so that is a really basic start, you may also find highlights of players, but it is usually only the stars of the league. Also, a poster by the name of "Pilight" does an excellent job of keeping up with league statistics and is quite active. They have a website that lists a lot of milestones and player projections, it's pilight.xyz

If you like to place bets, a poster by the name of "Calbearman" has some really good info and they post regularly as well.

Other than that, just take some time and watch each team play atleast once. You'll pick up on player tendencies faster that way than waiting for someone to finally give us super in depth resources like they have with the NBA.

toad455

PostPosted: 05/29/18 7:49 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Twitter is really the best source to get info. Either from teams directly, a player directly, a news source. That's the main reason I'm on Twitter is to follow stuff for the league(injuries, trades, signings, etc.).

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
calbearman76

PostPosted: 05/29/18 10:43 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The WNBA League Pass is the best source of unfiltered info. Even if you don't watch whole games, watching a quarter gives the best sense of how teams are playing.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 05/29/18 11:07 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

There's a Youtube page also that archives every game this season versus using League pass i shall not state the name of the account in fear it could be removed.

PostPosted: 05/30/18 9:27 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Am I right in saying that "WNBA Action" is no longer being produced?
That was probably a suitable type of show for people just getting to know the league. I can't remember the last time I saw it though. ESPN in Australia were pretty erratic with it at the best of times.

PostPosted: 05/30/18 9:43 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'd love to have something like The Starters covering the WNBA, hands down.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 05/30/18 9:49 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

chapulana wrote:

I'd be happy to join a regular podcast cast as long as someone else is willing to do all the production crap around it Smile.

For what it's worth, I largely follow the league via Twitter (although it's the right reporters/analysts/fans that you really want to follow, more than the teams), RebKell, and watching the games. Anything else will largely come from links that pop up in those places. Oh, and I occasionally refresh WNBA.com's Transactions page, just for shits and giggles.

PostPosted: 05/30/18 12:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
chapulana wrote:

I'd be happy to join a regular podcast cast as long as someone else is willing to do all the production crap around it Smile.

For what it's worth, I largely follow the league via Twitter (although it's the right reporters/analysts/fans that you really want to follow, more than the teams), RebKell, and watching the games. Anything else will largely come from links that pop up in those places. Oh, and I occasionally refresh WNBA.com's Transactions page, just for shits and giggles.

I think a RebKell podcast would be pretty cool, if produced and managed properly. But setting everything up requires a lot of dediciation, and thanks to the nastiness that sometimes flares up here, we no longer have dstnms.

PostPosted: 05/30/18 5:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Id also get into the sites: WNBAinsidr.com Highposthoops.com womenshoopsworld.com/category/wnba/

Im missing a few.

pilight

PostPosted: 05/30/18 5:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't keep up with the league. I have no idea what's going on.

PostPosted: 05/30/18 6:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

My main source of news is this board. Sometimes there is press release from the W, or the team that I get in email.

FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 05/31/18 6:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

How do I stream something from Twitter? Does @WNBA tweet a link to the stream? As I understand it, League Pass doesn't cover games that are available on Twitter.

stever

PostPosted: 05/31/18 6:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FrozenLVFan wrote:
How do I stream something from Twitter? Does @WNBA tweet a link to the stream? As I understand it, League Pass doesn't cover games that are available on Twitter.

...just go here:

https://twitter.com/TwitterSports

calbearman76

PostPosted: 05/31/18 7:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FrozenLVFan wrote:

League Pass does cover those games. The only games they don't have live are ESPN games, games on at the same time (which are on watchESPN) and local team games that are blacked out in your area

FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 05/31/18 7:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Thank you both. I've been on Twitter for a long time but never knew Twitter Sports existed.

Shades

PostPosted: 05/31/18 7:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FrozenLVFan wrote:
Thank you both. I've been on Twitter for a long time but never knew Twitter Sports existed.

You’ve never checked into a game thread?
http://boards.rebkell.net/viewtopic.php?t=94463

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
willtalk

PostPosted: 05/31/18 11:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ESPN.com has a WNBA site you can click on and they have on going box scores and play by play as well. I have League Pass but when I want to check the box scores I switch to the ESPN site.

ChicagoAnnie

PostPosted: 06/01/18 4:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I trust this board for info before wnba.com... is that weird?

Aladyyn

PostPosted: 06/01/18 4:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ChicagoAnnie wrote:
I trust this board for info before wnba.com... is that weird?

Not weird, smart.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: