RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Overseas Updates 2017-2018
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
awhom111

PostPosted: 05/26/17 11:29 pm    ::: Overseas Updates 2017-2018 Reply Reply with quote

I am starting this earlier than I planned because there has been some reporting out there on the WKBL Draft, so I wanted to make sure that people had the correct information.

The deadline to enter the foreign player draft in South Korea was Friday Korean time. The league then released some information about the draft, which sees an increase in applicants to 152, including 85 with WNBA experience and 23 with Korean experience.

Based on earlier reporting from Korean basketball site Jumpball, three teams extended contracts to their former foreign players. Alyssa Thomas reportedly accepted her offer while Jonquel Jones declined to pursue other potentially more lucrative offers and Karima Christmas-Kelly plans on spending the WNBA offseason closer to her husband. That means the players are competing for 11 spots at $25,000 a month net.

Jumpball has a couple of article about the draft up, including some bigger names that have entered. You may have seen those names elsewhere, including some rookies and some players who previously played in the league. The draft will be held on July 10th. The men's league released their list of applicants last season (now up to 604 applicants for fewer than 20 spots this year), but I would not expect the women's league to follow suit.

Jumpball is also reporting that the league could allow foreign players to play more minutes instead of restricting it to one player at a time. This could lead to teams drafting more guards and that is reflected in some of the names that have been released.
awhom111

PostPosted: 06/27/17 11:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FIBA released information on which teams will play in which continental competition this season:
http://www.womensbasketball247.com/2017/06/euroleague-eurocup-2017-18-teams-announced-details-inside/
awhom111

PostPosted: 07/08/17 11:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Here are the groups for the upcoming season:
http://www.womensbasketball247.com/2017/07/euroleague-eurocup-2017-18-group-draws/

EuroLeague Group B should be crazy.

The Korean league draft will be Sunday night in the United States/Monday morning in South Korea. 11 players will be picked from 113.
awhom111

PostPosted: 07/09/17 11:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The Korean league draft is complete:
http://www.womensbasketball247.com/2017/07/2017-korean-league-draft/
ArtBest23

PostPosted: 07/10/17 12:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

When do you usually find out which Americans are returning to their Euopean teams and which aren't?

awhom111

PostPosted: 07/10/17 11:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
When do you usually find out which Americans are returning to their Euopean teams and which aren't?

A lot of returnees will be sorted out pretty early and usually after the end of the season. Teams then start making new signings over the summer once new budgets are calculated. Of course, with no perfect place to track all of the moves, it can be easy to miss some signings. Other than trying to keep track of the Duke players, I usually wait until overseas seasons start before trying to figure out where everyone is playing.
awhom111

PostPosted: 07/22/17 3:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I am aware of the Puerto Rican League Draft being conducted on Wednesday, but I think all of sources I have seen so far are incomplete, so I will hold off on an article for now. There were a lot fewer big names this year as Adily Martucci of Quinnipiac was the first pick. There will be some team shuffling this year, so there were some big names in the draft for returning player rights.
awhom111

PostPosted: 09/24/17 11:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

First set of updates for the season:

Puerto Rico between hurricanes:
http://www.womensbasketball247.com/2017/09/puerto-rican-league-week-1-recap-september-13th-18th/

Poland:
http://www.womensbasketball247.com/2017/09/polish-league-round-1-september-21st-24th/

Eastern European:
http://www.womensbasketball247.com/2017/09/eewbl-group-stage-september-22nd-24th/

Germany:
http://www.womensbasketball247.com/2017/09/german-league-round-1-september-24th/

Italian Super Cup:
http://www.womensbasketball247.com/2017/09/italian-super-cup-recap-september-24th/

There will be plenty more to come this week.

I tried to make sure that every player making their professional debut got a mention, but please let me know if I missed anyone.
awhom111

PostPosted: 09/25/17 7:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Czech Republic:
http://www.womensbasketball247.com/2017/09/czech-league-round-1-september-20th-24th/
Shades

PostPosted: 09/25/17 9:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Zahui 6-8 from two, 2-3 from three, and 9-9 from FT for 27 pts. Not bad at all

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
WNBA 09

PostPosted: 09/26/17 2:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:

Sick of her only performing overseas. Maybe thats where she needs to be for a few seasons until she can compete with the real ballers in the W. I had such high expectations for her this season only too realize she has not gotten any better.

PostPosted: 09/26/17 3:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
Shades wrote:

Sick of her only performing overseas. Maybe thats where she needs to be for a few seasons until she can compete with the real ballers in the W. I had such high expectations for her this season only too realize she has not gotten any better.

NY clearly isn't the best venue for her. I'd like to see her in one of the bottom teams where she would get playing time...then we could tell if there was actually anything there. That she couldn't get time ahead of Stokes/Vaughn isn't a good sign though. It may also be that it is a confidence issue so she needs a coach who believes in her. She's also just turning 24 so there is time...

- Amanda Gorman
Shades

PostPosted: 09/26/17 4:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
It may also be that it is a confidence issue so she needs a coach who believes in her.

Bingo! I was thinking SEA, because they don't really have a player like her.

I'm pretty sure she's better than Fagbenle in Minnesota, but there's only one year left on her rookie contract, so that's something to consider.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 09/26/17 4:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
Shades wrote:

Or maybe the Czech league is her appropriate level, and playing in the WNBA just illustrates the Peter Principle.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 09/26/17 5:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
Shades wrote:

NY clearly isn't the best venue for her. I'd like to see her in one of the bottom teams where she would get playing time...then we could tell if there was actually anything there. That she couldn't get time ahead of Stokes/Vaughn isn't a good sign though. It may also be that it is a confidence issue so she needs a coach who believes in her. She's also just turning 24 so there is time...

Did she not just come from Tulsa ?

PostPosted: 09/26/17 5:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
Shades wrote:

Or maybe the Czech league is her appropriate level, and playing in the WNBA just illustrates the Peter Principle.

Booyah! Shocked

PostPosted: 09/26/17 9:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

EuroCup Qualifiers:
http://www.womensbasketball247.com/2017/09/eurocup-qualifiers-game-1-september-20th-26th/

EuroLeague Qualifiers:
http://www.womensbasketball247.com/2017/09/euroleague-qualifiers-game-1-september-26th/
awhom111

PostPosted: 09/26/17 9:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
Shades wrote:

Trying to measure a player by Czech League performances with USK Prague is a waste of time considering the talent disparity between them and all of the other teams. I remember looking it up last year and it has been quite a while since they have lost domestically.

The main takeaway here is that Shades is slipping. I was under the impression that he was contractually obligated to bring up Romero when applicable and never waste a chance to take a shot at Curt Miller.
myrtle

PostPosted: 09/26/17 10:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
myrtle wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
Shades wrote:

Did she not just come from Tulsa ?

Yeah, and their best or next to best player is their 4, just like in NY. And I think the 4 is where is best suited to play. I'm not convinced she's going to be great, and her defense in the W is certainly suspect, but I just think if she played somewhere where the 4 is not the position of strength - like SAS or Indy - maybe we'd see more from her.

- Amanda Gorman
awhom111

PostPosted: 09/28/17 8:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Czech Republic:
http://www.womensbasketball247.com/2017/09/czech-league-round-2-september-27th/

Romanian Cup:
http://www.womensbasketball247.com/2017/09/romanian-cup-first-round-game-1-september-27th/

Spanish Super Cup:
http://www.womensbasketball247.com/2017/09/spanish-super-cup-september-28th/
Shades

PostPosted: 09/28/17 9:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

awhom111 wrote:

The main takeaway here is that Shades is slipping. I was under the impression that he was contractually obligated to bring up Romero when applicable and never waste a chance to take a shot at Curt Miller.

I don't work for anybody, unlike someone who diverts traffic for website hits.

What's the dig on Romero? Didn't take enough shots? She had 6 assists. Drafting Romero was an idea stolen from the basement, so if he wants to steal from the best, I can't really blame him.

Again, clarifying a trade to people who thought it was an even Gray for JJones trade isn't exactly taking a shot. He's big enough to own up to the truth. Well, maybe not that big.

Also, somebody else has been just as critical if not more towards Miller. But I guess his criticism is more subtle or flies under the radar since it's not in the spotlight. Maybe he needs to bring back more flamboyant words like "atrocious".

Shades

PostPosted: 09/28/17 9:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Another big game from Zahui: 7-8 from two and 6-6 from FT for 20 pts, 11 reb. Those are team highs.

przemoe

PostPosted: 09/29/17 2:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Another big game from Zahui: 7-8 from two and 6-6 from FT for 20 pts, 11 reb. Those are team highs.

And again, remember what awhom111 said. She's competeing against "kids" and stuff. Czech league is no measure at all. Wait for euroleague.

http://www.bigdynia.pl - Basket Gdynia
Michelle89

PostPosted: 09/29/17 4:05 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

przemoe wrote:
Shades wrote:

And again, remember what awhom111 said. She's competeing against "kids" and stuff. Czech league is no measure at all. Wait for euroleague.

Um she did pretty good in the Euroleague last season against some pretty solid WNBA posts Wink

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
awhom111

PostPosted: 09/29/17 7:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

http://www.womensbasketball247.com/2017/09/eurocup-qualifiers-game-2-september-27th-29th/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 1 of 13

Jump to: