68%  [ 15 ]
Total Votes : 22

RavenDog

PostPosted: 05/27/17 12:17 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:
RavenDog wrote:
Luuuc wrote:
RavenDog wrote:
Most promising thing for NY is they are in the Eastern Division.

Does that actually help in any way anymore other than opportunities for POTW?

Win loss record gets then into the playoffs at a higher level than maybe deserved...kind of like last year.

But the schedule is not biased towards playing teams in your own conference anymore - it is now even - so that advantage no longer exists.

RavenDog wrote:
By the way, thanks for all the extra effort you do to keep us informed of the upcoming games.

Happy to do it, but others are welcome to pitch in as well. The time difference down here makes it impossible for me to start polls at the right time for early games.

Yes, all the teams play 17 east and 17 west but NY doesn't have to play themselves, and they are one of the better teams in the East. It's a couple games advantage.

bcdawg04

PostPosted: 05/27/17 12:28 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Liberty probably asking themselves, "Who the hell is #3??" Shocked

That's Sami Whitcomb, out of the University of Washington. Cool Go Dawgs, and go Storm.

Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 05/27/17 12:32 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

RavenDog wrote:
Luuuc wrote:
RavenDog wrote:
Luuuc wrote:
RavenDog wrote:
Most promising thing for NY is they are in the Eastern Division.

Does that actually help in any way anymore other than opportunities for POTW?

Win loss record gets then into the playoffs at a higher level than maybe deserved...kind of like last year.

But the schedule is not biased towards playing teams in your own conference anymore - it is now even - so that advantage no longer exists.

RavenDog wrote:
By the way, thanks for all the extra effort you do to keep us informed of the upcoming games.

Happy to do it, but others are welcome to pitch in as well. The time difference down here makes it impossible for me to start polls at the right time for early games.

Yes, all the teams play 17 east and 17 west but NY doesn't have to play themselves, and they are one of the better teams in the East. It's a couple games advantage.

Haha, fair enough Smile

PostPosted: 05/27/17 12:37 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rebkellian / partner in PFT fandom alert!
https://www.facebook.com/seattlestorm/photos/a.10158700313000147.1073741963.92104400146/10158700316610147/?type=3&theater
Kenny Dow, Alyse LaHue, Ryan Webb, and Alisha Valavanis (l to r) share their career paths with high school kids as part of the Storm's Intro to College night. (Neil Enns/Storm Photos)

PostPosted: 05/27/17 1:14 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cappa23MVP wrote:
Yes, I most certainly do...and when she does that in a playoff game, a win and get in game...when it's one and done, get back at me. I will gladly give Piph her props, until then, I'll "color" her, clutchless

I agree on the playoffs -- I've made that argument myself. However, I've seen Prince hit a number of big shots during the regular season. So, it's not fair to make a blanket statement that she never makes clutch shots. I'm objecting to the exaggeration.

I think Liberty fans are overreacting to this loss. Whitcomb had an unconscious game and that was clearly the difference. Instead of blaming the players, shouldn't people ask why Laimbeer made no adjustments to the defense? Yes, he changed defenders -- replacing Allen with Rodgers, and Rodgers with Zellous -- but the approach was the same. Even after Whitcomb hit four or five 3s, you still saw the Liberty defender playing off her and hedging toward the middle. That's the Liberty base defense -- protecting the middle and daring you to beat them from outside. It's at the discretion of the coach to make an adjustment. However, all I saw was one trap run at Whitcomb and I'm not even convinced it was intentional. Tina jumped out to help and it turned into a trap. Time and again we've seen opponents get hot from the outside and the Liberty choose not to adjust. It's been going on for five seasons now (really seven since Whisenant took the same approach). After awhile, you just have to accept that this is their philosophy and that the team is willing to live or die with their system. Since this is a good year to finish lower -- even if you want to make the playoffs -- I can live with the loss. Is there such a thing as a semi-tank? Wink

Regarding Whitcomb, a few of us on this board kept saying that somebody should sign her. That's one for the basement! Razz

PostPosted: 05/27/17 1:47 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't feel terrible about the loss. How many times will an unheralded opposing player come off the bench and score 22 points in 15 minutes? Without that, New York would have won.

What distresses me is that--as NYL_WNBA_FAN noted--only four Liberty players looked good out there. I believed it would be crucial this season for at least one of our third-year players, ideally at least two, to take big steps forward. But Boyd is gone and what we've seen so far from Stokes, Allen, and Zahui B is far from encouraging.

PostPosted: 05/27/17 4:06 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Saw the boxscore never heard of this Sami Whitcombe, I dont even remember her from ncaa Laughing

Michelle89

PostPosted: 05/27/17 4:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bob Lamm wrote:
I don't feel terrible about the loss. How many times will an unheralded opposing player come off the bench and score 22 points in 15 minutes? Without that, New York would have won.

What distresses me is that--as NYL_WNBA_FAN noted--only four Liberty players looked good out there. I believed it would be crucial this season for at least one of our third-year players, ideally at least two, to take big steps forward. But Boyd is gone and what we've seen so far from Stokes, Allen, and Zahui B is far from encouraging.

She made up for the bad shooting game that Stewart had though. I dont expect Stewart to keep up these bad shooting percentages. She has a little bit of trouble getting back from her knee injury

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
scullyfu

PostPosted: 05/27/17 7:28 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

blaase22 wrote:
Saw the boxscore never heard of this Sami Whitcombe, I dont even remember her from ncaa Laughing

the left coast teams weren't getting the screen time that they are now. the Pac-12 Network has brought all the teams to more people via their exposure on cable networks and their app.

PostPosted: 05/27/17 8:49 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
cappa23MVP wrote:
Yes, I most certainly do...and when she does that in a playoff game, a win and get in game...when it's one and done, get back at me. I will gladly give Piph her props, until then, I'll "color" her, clutchless

I agree on the playoffs -- I've made that argument myself. However, I've seen Prince hit a number of big shots during the regular season. So, it's not fair to make a blanket statement that she never makes clutch shots. I'm objecting to the exaggeration.

I think Liberty fans are overreacting to this loss. Whitcomb had an unconscious game and that was clearly the difference. Instead of blaming the players, shouldn't people ask why Laimbeer made no adjustments to the defense? Yes, he changed defenders -- replacing Allen with Rodgers, and Rodgers with Zellous -- but the approach was the same. Even after Whitcomb hit four or five 3s, you still saw the Liberty defender playing off her and hedging toward the middle. That's the Liberty base defense -- protecting the middle and daring you to beat them from outside. It's at the discretion of the coach to make an adjustment. However, all I saw was one trap run at Whitcomb and I'm not even convinced it was intentional. Tina jumped out to help and it turned into a trap. Time and again we've seen opponents get hot from the outside and the Liberty choose not to adjust. It's been going on for five seasons now (really seven since Whisenant took the same approach). After awhile, you just have to accept that this is their philosophy and that the team is willing to live or die with their system. Since this is a good year to finish lower -- even if you want to make the playoffs -- I can live with the loss. Is there such a thing as a semi-tank? Wink

Regarding Whitcomb, a few of us on this board kept saying that somebody should sign her. That's one for the basement! Razz

Didn't say never. Said almost never. Every squirrel finds a nut sometimes, especially over many years as a "high volume shooter" who has the ball in her hands on almost every play she is in the game. I'm sure every high volume shooter in the WNBA has made a shot that ended up being the final score that put their team ahead at the end of the game. Consistency and dependability speaks volumes, especially for a player who can get her own shot whenever.

It's acceptable to agree or disagree with my analysis, it's just my opinion and basically, it's the purpose of Rebkell to share opinions. Go for it...

NYL_WNBA_FAN

PostPosted: 05/27/17 9:20 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

While Piph's playoff performance has generally been poor she did also hit a game winner vs. D.C. in game 3 of the 2015 playoffs. She also got fouled late in a road win at Phoenix in the act of shooting and hit the FTs. In terms of individual late-game situations I trust her. But the playoff performance is another matter.

PostPosted: 05/27/17 10:13 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Laimbeer was pleased with the effort the team gave and basically blamed the lose on refs/FTs.

Liberty: 10-14
Storm: 25-32

I really hope Laimbeer gets on the asses of Stokes, Zahui B. & Allen to become an offensive option ASAP. And unless a trade happens, our PG options when Prince leaves seem limited to 1.) Lindsey Allen, 2.) Tanisha Wright, 3.) Chelsea Hopkins, 4.) Tiffany Bias, 5.) Seeing if Anna Cruz is available & trading for her.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
NYL_WNBA_FAN

PostPosted: 05/27/17 11:50 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So it sounds like Piph and Kia are leaving. Personally I think the issues are more significant than Bill seems to. Better that than the other way around. This is going to be Zahui's opportunity to step up if she's healthy.

PostPosted: 05/27/17 11:54 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

One thing about Cruz, she learned nearly all of the Lynx's playbook before she even got there. That would be useful in this situation.

PostPosted: 05/27/17 11:58 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pasteurize wrote:
lynxmania wrote:
pasteurize wrote:

What's Lindsey Harding up to? Does Phoenix still have her rights? I know a lot of people weren't in love with her, but I thought she at least had a decent handle and court vision, and she does have some familiarity with our system. Though I'm guessing there's a reason nobody has brought up her name when discussing possible player acquisitions.

She retired.

Ah, damn. Thanks for the info.

You must've missed the 3 weeks she was here last year...there was a reason she was cut and how

PostPosted: 05/27/17 12:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
Laimbeer was pleased with the effort the team gave and basically blamed the lose on refs/FTs.

Liberty: 10-14
Storm: 25-32

I really hope Laimbeer gets on the asses of Stokes, Zahui B. & Allen to become an offensive option ASAP. And unless a trade happens, our PG options when Prince leaves seem limited to 1.) Lindsey Allen, 2.) Tanisha Wright, 3.) Chelsea Hopkins, 4.) Tiffany Bias, 5.) Seeing if Anna Cruz is available & trading for her.

Out of that group, i'd pick L.Allen or Chelsea Hopkins. dont think Wright wants to play this year, Burdick or Nayo will get cut or a trade happens. i wouldn't mind takin a chance at Bias cuz her speed and energy, but she is to small for Bill's liking

bcdawg04

PostPosted: 05/27/17 12:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

blaase22 wrote:

Well, she did graduate back in 2010, during a very forgettable era at UW.

This is the first time UW has had two rookies in the league...but I'm not sure it counts since the two of them never played with each other. Razz

root_thing

PostPosted: 05/27/17 12:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LibFan25 wrote:

Out of that group, i'd pick L.Allen or Chelsea Hopkins. dont think Wright wants to play this year, Burdick or Nayo will get cut or a trade happens. i wouldn't mind takin a chance at Bias cuz her speed and energy, but she is to small for Bill's liking

Prince and Vaughn will probably be suspended, so NY should have two roster spots available for replacement players. NY only needs to cut someone if they decide to get a permanent player. I've been thinking about Bias. I always liked her, but you're right that she's probably too small for Laimbeer. Be aware that your girl Jordin Canada is the same size.

PostPosted: 05/27/17 12:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I do think Laimbeer waits until he can bring in those two replacement players. I have to think it'll be Lindsay Allen and a post player. If Lindsay Allen plays well, he can keep her for the rest of the season and dump either Burdick, Raincock or Hartley. I'd prefer he dump Hartley at this point. I love the hustle from Burdick & Raincock.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
NYL_WNBA_FAN

PostPosted: 05/27/17 12:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Happycappie25 wrote:
pasteurize wrote:
lynxmania wrote:
pasteurize wrote:

What's Lindsey Harding up to? Does Phoenix still have her rights? I know a lot of people weren't in love with her, but I thought she at least had a decent handle and court vision, and she does have some familiarity with our system. Though I'm guessing there's a reason nobody has brought up her name when discussing possible player acquisitions.

She retired.

You must've missed the 3 weeks she was here last year...there was a reason she was cut and how

I second that. Harding was terrible. Especially the Minnesota game.

PostPosted: 05/27/17 12:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Happycappie25 wrote:
pasteurize wrote:
lynxmania wrote:
pasteurize wrote:

She retired.

I guess it's all moot because she apparently retired, but I did watch her play last season, and she looked better running the point than Hartley has looked thus far this year. Unless you're talking about her attitude/personality...? But 3.6 assists per game, 3.0 A/TO (granted, in just 5 games with NY) isn't so bad for a team that is desperate for a distributor.

root_thing

PostPosted: 05/27/17 12:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Let me correct myself. I used the word "replacement" when I probably should have said "temporary" player. I believe replacement player is a defined term that applies to injury situations. The difference is that a replacement player fills in for a specific person, and she has to leave when that injured player returns. I don't think the temporary players have to leave. In theory, you can cut someone else to keep them.

PostPosted: 05/27/17 1:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
LibFan25 wrote:

Prince and Vaughn will probably be suspended, so NY should have two roster spots available for replacement players. NY only needs to cut someone if they decide to get a permanent player. I've been thinking about Bias. I always liked her, but you're right that she's probably too small for Laimbeer. Be aware that your girl Jordin Canada is the same size.

Yeah i know, But Canada is on a different level, her ball handling skills, court vision, awareness, speed, agility. All her stats are up each year 3pt Pct, fg pct, and assists. And she's a great defender too, Pac12 defensive player of the year. The guard i can see people think is a better PG is Lexie Brown cuz her shooting ability, everything else Canada has more potential. Best PG in 2018 draft.

Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 05/27/17 2:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Just watched a brief video of Laimbeer after the game. He said Charles got tired at the end and "my bad" for not giving her a rest. But unless New York gets better contributions from Stokes, Zellous, and the bench than we've seen so far, the pressure and physical demands on Charles, Prince, and Rodgers will be enormous.

Yes, Boyd is gone and that hurts. But there are still eight players on the team that have to assist our Big Three. Of those eight, I'd say that Stokes is crucial.

PostPosted: 05/27/17 2:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm unconvinced Canada is a quality perimeter shooter. She only took 82 threes in 34 games, and though her percentage was 35.4, my sense is most of those were wide-open.

This is not to say she can't improve, but until she shows she must be guarded beyond the arc, it will be hard for her to score in the WNBA. She's neither tall nor strongly built.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7

Jump to: