56%
 56%  [ 13 ]
Mercury
43%
 43%  [ 10 ]
Total Votes : 23

Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 05/22/17 9:50 pm    ::: Liberty @ Mercury - 5/23/17 Reply Reply with quote

10:00 PM ET
Talking Stick Resort Arena
Tuesday, May 23, 2017

Game info: http://www.wnba.com/game/20170523/NYLPHO/

TV: League Pass; MSG

Last edited by Luuuc on 05/24/17 8:58 am; edited 2 times in total
LibFan25

PostPosted: 05/23/17 7:16 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bria Hartley i think will be starting PG, i want to see aggressiveness from her, a killer instinct, don't want to see no hesitation. Lets get this win #2.

Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 05/23/17 8:47 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Normally I'd say that the respective missing guards favours the Libs, but Boyd has been pretty effective so far, and Dee has been ordinary at best. I think the main effect of Dee's absence might be felt in how BG plays.
The bookies have Phoenix as slight favourites, but I'm not sure I agree with them. Will be interesting to see how both teams adjust. The Merc were already playing a midget backcourt of D-Rob + Leilani for stages, and they're going to have to do that even more now. If I'm NY then I'm trying to get BG in foul trouble, because it's game over if they can. Traditionally it's a pretty easy thing to do, too.

PostPosted: 05/23/17 9:08 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:
Normally I'd say that the respective missing guards favours the Libs, but Boyd has been pretty effective so far, and Dee has been ordinary at best. I think the main effect of Dee's absence might be felt in how BG plays.
The bookies have Phoenix as slight favourites, but I'm not sure I agree with them. Will be interesting to see how both teams adjust. The Merc were already playing a midget backcourt of D-Rob + Leilani for stages, and they're going to have to do that even more now. If I'm NY then I'm trying to get BG in foul trouble, because it's game over if they can. Traditionally it's a pretty easy thing to do, too.

Even if Griner scores 30 in this game who else is going to score for the Mercury to get another 50 pts

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 05/23/17 9:12 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Michelle89 wrote:
Luuuc wrote:

Even if Griner scores 30 in this game who else is going to score for the Mercury to get another 50 pts

I'm wondering exactly the same thing, even if it's only another 40 we need to score. Pretty sure it ain't gonna be Camille!

PostPosted: 05/23/17 9:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This is the first time I've looked at the Phoenix roster closely and it's really constructed in an unusual way. When was the last time we saw a WNBA roster with only three 1st Round picks? When was the last time we saw a WNBA team with three undrafted American players? Probably during the early days of the league before there was much of a draft history. This sounds like a question for pilight!

PostPosted: 05/23/17 9:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The Merc have four first round picks (Griner, Murphy, Robinson, Taurasi)

PostPosted: 05/23/17 10:12 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:

Murphy was a 2nd Round pick. I know the league has changed size over the years, but according to WNBA.com, #15 in 2007 was the second pick of the 2nd Round.

PostPosted: 05/23/17 10:18 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
pilight wrote:

Murphy was a 2nd Round pick. I know the league has changed size over the years, but according to WNBA.com, #15 in 2007 was the second pick of the 2nd Round.

That's what I get for going by memory instead of waiting to research properly when I get back home

PostPosted: 05/23/17 10:25 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
root_thing wrote:
pilight wrote:

That's what I get for going by memory instead of waiting to research properly when I get back home

Believe me, I do that all the time -- especially when I'm posting at like 2:00 AM. Smile

PostPosted: 05/23/17 11:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Is Murphy still injured? That would leave the Mercury with only ten players tonight.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
root_thing

PostPosted: 05/23/17 12:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Has anyone noticed that Phoenix is the best defensive team in the league measured by both points and DRtg? Shocked Meanwhile, NY is second worst in points scored and third worst in ORtg. So, maybe Phoenix is actually in a better position than NY to go for the ugly, low-scoring, grind it out win?

Laimbeer has already said that they have some adjustments in place for Griner, which probably means trapping her like they did last year. So, Phoenix needs their outside shooters to make some shots, namely FLB, George, and anyone else with any kind of history of being serviceable from outside -- Little, Prince, Brunner? For the Liberty, it might help if Tina and Piph made some shots for a change. Razz

PostPosted: 05/23/17 1:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
Has anyone noticed that Phoenix is the best defensive team in the league measured by both points and DRtg? Shocked Meanwhile, NY is second worst in points scored and third worst in ORtg. So, maybe Phoenix is actually in a better position than NY to go for the ugly, low-scoring, grind it out win?

Laimbeer has already said that they have some adjustments in place for Griner, which probably means trapping her like they did last year. So, Phoenix needs their outside shooters to make some shots, namely FLB, George, and anyone else with any kind of history of being serviceable from outside -- Little, Prince, Brunner? For the Liberty, it might help if Tina and Piph made some shots for a change. Razz

Yup

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat upon him was Death, and Hell followed with him
pilight

PostPosted: 05/23/17 2:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:

Games against Indiana and San Antonio (without Plum and Jefferson) will do wonders for your DRtg. I wouldn't put much stock in those numbers until you've played everybody.

PostPosted: 05/23/17 3:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
Is Murphy still injured? That would leave the Mercury with only ten players tonight.

Murphy is a game time decision

PostPosted: 05/23/17 3:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
root_thing wrote:

Games against Indiana and San Antonio (without Plum and Jefferson) will do wonders for your DRtg. I wouldn't put much stock in those numbers until you've played everybody.

yeah thats how i felt after NY & WAS played against SAN to start the season and everyone was speaking of how good they looked and so on , SAN is making everyone look good so far Laughing

PostPosted: 05/23/17 3:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
root_thing wrote:

Obviously it's early, but aren't you the same guy who just put out a poll for MVP and other awards? Razz I'm not ready to declare the Merc a defensive juggernaut, but we can give them some credit for now. Dallas put up 87 against Minnesota, but Phoenix held them to 68. They held Indiana to 62, but the Fever averaged 81.5 in their other two games. SAS is shorthanded, but at least Phoenix played them with McBride active. It was certainly possible for the Phoenix defense to do a lot worse over this stretch.

PostPosted: 05/23/17 4:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Phoenix altered their look this year and I don't think the types of players they acquired were by accident. Adding players with defensive acumen like Danielle Robinson and Camille Little changes their look entirely. So I just think they're a strong defensive team, period. Given that we have no idea what to expect from NY offensively, who's say Phoenix won't win this game 68-65 or something like that?

Also, here's an interesting article on Piph:

http://www.msgnetworks.com/2017/05/22/prince-took-on-demons-now-poised-to-take-on-wnba/

It mentions that she feels she has lost some explosiveness. That surprised me because I thought physically she's looked ok. My expectations of her and of the team as a whole have moderated quite a bit. Hopefully it's just me leaning negative and I'll turn out to be pleasantly surprised.

PostPosted: 05/23/17 5:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:
Phoenix altered their look this year and I don't think the types of players they acquired were by accident. Adding players with defensive acumen like Danielle Robinson and Camille Little changes their look entirely. So I just think they're a strong defensive team, period. Given that we have no idea what to expect from NY offensively, who's say Phoenix won't win this game 68-65 or something like that?

http://www.msgnetworks.com/2017/05/22/prince-took-on-demons-now-poised-to-take-on-wnba/

It mentions that she feels she has lost some explosiveness. That surprised me because I thought physically she's looked ok. My expectations of her and of the team as a whole have moderated quite a bit. Hopefully it's just me leaning negative and I'll turn out to be pleasantly surprised.

Whenever things look bad, just remind yourself it's a good tank year. Wink

PostPosted: 05/23/17 7:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

wonder who starts for both teams. Does Hartley start at PG or Prince? Does Mitchell start in place of Taurasi or does Turner? Is Murphy playing?

toad455

PostPosted: 05/23/17 9:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Starters:

Liberty: Prince-Rodgers-Zellous-Charles-Stokes
Mercury: Robinson-Mitchell-Talbot-Little-Griner

toad455

PostPosted: 05/23/17 9:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Phoenix starting off cold. Little with two quick fouls.

hangtyme24

PostPosted: 05/23/17 9:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:

Are we talking about the same Camille Little? What defensive acumen? Lol Laughing Laughing Laughing

PostPosted: 05/23/17 9:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stop fouling, Merc! Also, stop being whistled for non-fouls!

--

Bec Allen says nuh-uh.

PostPosted: 05/23/17 9:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If the libs wants to win this game they gotta stop turning the ball over. This team still frustrates me.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: