RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums
 
Log in Register FAQ Memberlist Search RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index

Overseas Updates 2016-2017
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
awhom111



Joined: 19 Nov 2014
Posts: 2118



Back to top
PostPosted: 07/10/16 11:07 pm    ::: Overseas Updates 2016-2017 Reply Reply with quote

It's never too early to start the thread. As usual, it's the Korean League draft making early news:
http://www.womensbasketball247.com/2016/07/12-wnba-players-drafted-korean-league/

It is possible to re-sign players this year with raises in subsequent years, so taking chances on some younger players was expected.


Jet Jaguar



Joined: 11 Feb 2014
Posts: 1111



Back to top
PostPosted: 07/11/16 8:08 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

How do they do that draft? It looks like they just don't pick anybody. Usually an agent will be in contacts with certain teams and then they strike a deal with a specific team. For Korea do they negotiate with the actual league and then they get a pool of players who have agreed to play in the league and then do the draft? Just find it weird because I can't think of any other league that has a draft like this.



_________________
Oderint dum metuant - Let them hate, so long as they fear
awhom111



Joined: 19 Nov 2014
Posts: 2118



Back to top
PostPosted: 07/11/16 8:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Jet Jaguar wrote:
How do they do that draft? It looks like they just don't pick anybody. Usually an agent will be in contacts with certain teams and then they strike a deal with a specific team. For Korea do they negotiate with the actual league and then they get a pool of players who have agreed to play in the league and then do the draft? Just find it weird because I can't think of any other league that has a draft like this.


Foreign players apply to the league (123 for 12 spots this year not counting late withdrawals) and are subject to pick by any team. Only they and the Korean Men's league use this format. They and some other leagues do hold drafts of domestic players, but usually players are only subject to those drafts once, like leagues here. The men's draft had 500+ applicants for 20 spots and they will hold full tryouts in Las Vegas soon before the actual draft. Agents are actually barred from that draft and you have to sign the contract on the spot or lose your place. There were a couple of different news articles on last year's men's draft in English language media.

Both leagues can get away with this because of the amount and reliability of pay, which is the same for all foreign players in the women's league and based on draft position in the men's league. Since all of the teams are owned by large corporate entities, they want to maintain parity amongst themselves and also have league salary caps which obviously is not a feature of most other international leagues either. There are always suspicions of under the table pay and benefits though. The upper limit on pay prevents them from drawing out and out stars, but they generally get WNBA players.


Richyyy



Joined: 17 Nov 2005
Posts: 20716
Location: London


Back to top
PostPosted: 07/11/16 9:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Overseas performance often differs a lot from US production but if they're all being paid the same it seems bizarre that Bulgak went 9th. Even without knowing who the options were beyond the 12 drafted, why her over Hawkins/Howard/Achonwa?



_________________
Independent WNBA coverage: http://www.wnbalien.com/
awhom111



Joined: 19 Nov 2014
Posts: 2118



Back to top
PostPosted: 07/11/16 11:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Here is the post-draft picture:
https://scontent-sea.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/13620298_1054890931285132_2644679039498608766_n.png?oh=7fd43c52c77d0775050227c2dc272f6f&oe=5832CE02

Richyyy wrote:
Overseas performance often differs a lot from US production but if they're all being paid the same it seems bizarre that Bulgak went 9th. Even without knowing who the options were beyond the 12 drafted, why her over Hawkins/Howard/Achonwa?


Nobody said they were good at drafting. I look forward to Monique Currie winning the playing time split with Jonquel Jones as I predicted she would do to Markeisha Gatling last season. The other interesting split will be Stokes/Pierson.

I can sort of buy Bulgak over Achonwa for position reasons, although I think a traditional center might be good to complement Tuck. Howard makes no sense considering she's already played in the league and proven to be effective.


toad455



Joined: 16 Nov 2005
Posts: 17697



Back to top
PostPosted: 07/12/16 9:06 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Weren't there more teams last season in Korea? I seem to remember 8 teams last year.



_________________
LET'S GO LIBERTY!!!!!!

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
przemoe



Joined: 08 Jan 2007
Posts: 447
Location: Gdynia, Poland


Back to top
PostPosted: 07/13/16 1:46 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So if we started this already, then I'm pleased to say Renee Montgomery will show up in Gdynia jersey this season.



_________________
Regards,
Przemek

http://www.bigdynia.pl - Basket Gdynia
kool-aide



Joined: 09 Jun 2009
Posts: 1650



Back to top
PostPosted: 07/13/16 9:23 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

No Charde Houston in South Korea next season? Didn't she have a lot of success there the last couple of years? Did she retire?


Str8_Butta



Joined: 24 Nov 2004
Posts: 7646



Back to top
PostPosted: 07/13/16 12:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I wish Kia Vaughn would go somewhere other than where she's been playing for the last few yrs. Go somewhere with more competition.



_________________
WNBA fan since 1997
fanaticka



Joined: 02 Dec 2011
Posts: 84
Location: Czech Republic


Back to top
PostPosted: 07/13/16 3:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Str8_Butta wrote:
I wish Kia Vaughn would go somewhere other than where she's been playing for the last few yrs. Go somewhere with more competition.


i am not sure she will. She's been in Prague for couple of years now. She considered applying for Czech citizenship, I don't know if she has done that yet. I read it in an interview after the season ended here. I sure hope she stays Wink but really has not much of a competition in Czech league, just Euroleague...


Str8_Butta



Joined: 24 Nov 2004
Posts: 7646



Back to top
PostPosted: 07/13/16 3:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

fanaticka wrote:
Str8_Butta wrote:
I wish Kia Vaughn would go somewhere other than where she's been playing for the last few yrs. Go somewhere with more competition.


i am not sure she will. She's been in Prague for couple of years now. She considered applying for Czech citizenship, I don't know if she has done that yet. I read it in an interview after the season ended here. I sure hope she stays Wink but really has not much of a competition in Czech league, just Euroleague...


I love that she loves it there, and I do remember seeing a video about her becoming a Citizen. I just wish there were better competition in the League, for her progression.



_________________
WNBA fan since 1997
awhom111



Joined: 19 Nov 2014
Posts: 2118



Back to top
PostPosted: 07/13/16 11:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

kool-aide wrote:
No Charde Houston in South Korea next season? Didn't she have a lot of success there the last couple of years? Did she retire?


Her last season ended with an injury so if it was serious enough I could see it lasting past the start of the upcoming season, but I don't think anything was ever publicized widely about it.


awhom111



Joined: 19 Nov 2014
Posts: 2118



Back to top
PostPosted: 07/20/16 8:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Where is our resident Kendall Kenyon fan?

She signed to play in Puerto Rico recently.

That league will be covered here when it starts in August.


kool-aide



Joined: 09 Jun 2009
Posts: 1650



Back to top
PostPosted: 07/21/16 11:02 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

awhom111 wrote:
kool-aide wrote:
No Charde Houston in South Korea next season? Didn't she have a lot of success there the last couple of years? Did she retire?


Her last season ended with an injury so if it was serious enough I could see it lasting past the start of the upcoming season, but I don't think anything was ever publicized widely about it.


Ah, thank you. I did miss reports of a serious injury.


Shades



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 49476



Back to top
PostPosted: 08/01/16 4:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Tiffany Mitchell, Amanda Zahui, EWilliams all playing together on Russian club Nadezha Orenbur



_________________
Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Jet Jaguar



Joined: 11 Feb 2014
Posts: 1111



Back to top
PostPosted: 08/01/16 7:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

(not that anyone on here cares about this except me but...) Sammy signed to play for Panathinaikos in Greece.



_________________
Oderint dum metuant - Let them hate, so long as they fear
Luuuc



Joined: 10 Feb 2005
Posts: 18839



Back to top
PostPosted: 08/01/16 8:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Jet Jaguar wrote:
(not that anyone on here cares about this except me but...)

I care. I very much enjoy the Sammy sideshow here Wink

Now I'm going to have to ask WBB247 to add the Greek league to their regular coverage for the coming season.



_________________
Seems rike no one takes me serirousreee
Str8_Butta



Joined: 24 Nov 2004
Posts: 7646



Back to top
PostPosted: 08/01/16 9:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Tiffany Mitchell, Amanda Zahui, EWilliams all playing together on Russian club Nadezha Orenbur


Their games are normally available online right? I hope to catch a lot of their games, not just for AZB but I actually like the other two too.



_________________
WNBA fan since 1997
Queenie



Joined: 18 Nov 2004
Posts: 15767
Location: Queens


Back to top
PostPosted: 08/01/16 9:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Jet Jaguar wrote:
(not that anyone on here cares about this except me but...) Sammy signed to play for Panathinaikos in Greece.


Oh, dear. Aren't Greek squads notorious for not paying up?



_________________
We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.
zune69



Joined: 27 May 2010
Posts: 7169



Back to top
PostPosted: 08/01/16 10:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Jet Jaguar wrote:
(not that anyone on here cares about this except me but...) Sammy signed to play for Panathinaikos in Greece.


If Sammy has a good season maybe a wnba team will give her a shot(Atl,wash)


Jet Jaguar



Joined: 11 Feb 2014
Posts: 1111



Back to top
PostPosted: 08/02/16 12:22 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:
Jet Jaguar wrote:
(not that anyone on here cares about this except me but...)

I care. I very much enjoy the Sammy sideshow here Wink

Now I'm going to have to ask WBB247 to add the Greek league to their regular coverage for the coming season.

Funny. But she won't be the only WNBA player there (or should be WNBA player). I know for sure Erlana Larkins is on a team there as well.



_________________
Oderint dum metuant - Let them hate, so long as they fear
Jet Jaguar



Joined: 11 Feb 2014
Posts: 1111



Back to top
PostPosted: 08/02/16 12:26 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
Jet Jaguar wrote:
(not that anyone on here cares about this except me but...) Sammy signed to play for Panathinaikos in Greece.


Oh, dear. Aren't Greek squads notorious for not paying up?

I don't think any more than any other league. Players have had trouble in Turkey and Russia too. Depends on the club. Panathinaikos is an old well-established sports organization that has teams in a number of other sports in Greece (men's bball, soccer, etc), so they got money.



_________________
Oderint dum metuant - Let them hate, so long as they fear
Wiseone1



Joined: 13 Oct 2011
Posts: 232



Back to top
PostPosted: 08/02/16 2:07 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Kizer and Larkins will be playing on the same team in Greece.


awhom111



Joined: 19 Nov 2014
Posts: 2118



Back to top
PostPosted: 08/02/16 8:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:
Jet Jaguar wrote:
(not that anyone on here cares about this except me but...)

I care. I very much enjoy the Sammy sideshow here Wink

Now I'm going to have to ask WBB247 to add the Greek league to their regular coverage for the coming season.


Put me in the cares group too. I have no strong feelings about the two big Greek clubs, but I suppose I have known more people who have played for Pao (not to be confused with PAOK) than Oly and a few more fans of the Greens too. It is good to see the Athens club making a push and signing a big name player while their rivals from Piraeus appear to be trying to re-establish themselves continentally.

That's probably a no on the regular coverage though. I do not believe I have ever seen the website of the Women's League, so I have no idea about the reliability and timeliness of their stats. If it is anything like the Men's League, they might have live stats in English and then boxscores in Greek. eurobasket.com appears to have stats so I suppose they are reasonably available. I usually also run the Greek through a translator, but the letters are not that hard to recognize once you are used to seeing them.

Str8_Butta wrote:
Shades wrote:
Tiffany Mitchell, Amanda Zahui, EWilliams all playing together on Russian club Nadezha Orenbur


Their games are normally available online right? I hope to catch a lot of their games, not just for AZB but I actually like the other two too.


Assuming no changes from last season, they should all be available. Production value varies greatly depending on which team is hosting.

Jet Jaguar wrote:
Queenie wrote:
Jet Jaguar wrote:
(not that anyone on here cares about this except me but...) Sammy signed to play for Panathinaikos in Greece.


Oh, dear. Aren't Greek squads notorious for not paying up?

I don't think any more than any other league. Players have had trouble in Turkey and Russia too. Depends on the club. Panathinaikos is an old well-established sports organization that has teams in a number of other sports in Greece (men's bball, soccer, etc), so they got money.


I have never heard of any money troubles at the two big Greek clubs in any sport. Of course, opposing fans will accuse the owners of being tax cheats and letting the rest of the country fall flat on its face. The other clubs have had pretty spotty records across other sports, but a lot of teams are still financed by people who still have money no matter how bad the economic situation gets.


Jet Jaguar



Joined: 11 Feb 2014
Posts: 1111



Back to top
PostPosted: 08/02/16 11:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Do my eyes deceive me? Did someone on here just call her a "big name player"? Shocked



_________________
Oderint dum metuant - Let them hate, so long as they fear
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18  Next
Page 1 of 18

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB 2.0.17 © 2001- 2004 phpBB Group
phpBB Template by Vjacheslav Trushkin