RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

The Full-Court Pressure Of The Somali-American Sportswoman

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pilight

PostPosted: 05/19/17 1:39 pm    ::: The Full-Court Pressure Of The Somali-American Sportswoman Reply Reply with quote

http://deadspin.com/the-full-court-pressure-of-the-somali-american-sportswo-1794922394

Quote:
She also mentioned a lack of role models—professional Somali athletes who cover—as a big problem for young girls. Bilqis Abdul-Qaadir, a Somali woman and the leading scorer for Indiana State basketball, could not continue as a professional because the WNBA does not allow hijabs. (Only last month did FIBA vote to allow coverings.) “When Somalis see girls in sports on TV, they see women wearing barely anything,” Mohamed said. “They want to see women covered. If they saw a Muslim woman covered playing sports, the story would be different. They would say, ‘I want that for my sister and for my daughter.’ They would say, ‘She has her faith and her traditions and her values and she can still achieve whatever she’s doing. She’s not oppressed.”

PostPosted: 05/19/17 3:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Course they'd still have to change the rules for them to be able to wear them but...

Quote:
Nike will soon begin selling a performance hijab for Muslim women athletes.

http://money.cnn.com/2017/03/07/news/nike-pro-hijab/index.html
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: