64%
 64%  [ 16 ]
Stars
36%
 36%  [ 9 ]
Total Votes : 25

Richyyy

PostPosted: 05/20/17 8:08 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yeah, it was weird. I didn't realise at the time because I was flipping back and forth to look at it again myself, but amazingly the officials didn't review the video. In a league where we have to sit through endless reviews of all sorts of crap, including who has possession in the final seconds of 20-point blowouts, they didn't bother to look again at someone taking aim at someone else's head. Ridiculous.

Maybe Fatou Cissoko-Stephens - the ref that saw and called it - was worried about looking at it again because she knew she'd probably have to throw Taurasi out if she got an extra clear look and made the right decision. But that, pretty much to the word, is her job.

PostPosted: 05/20/17 8:56 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
Yeah, it was weird. I didn't realise at the time because I was flipping back and forth to look at it again myself, but amazingly the officials didn't review the video. In a league where we have to sit through endless reviews of all sorts of crap, including who has possession in the final seconds of 20-point blowouts, they didn't bother to look again at someone taking aim at someone else's head. Ridiculous.

Maybe Fatou Cissoko-Stephens - the ref that saw and called it - was worried about looking at it again because she knew she'd probably have to throw Taurasi out if she got an extra clear look and made the right decision. But that, pretty much to the word, is her job.

Hey Richyyy, can a coach request that a ref review a play where a technical has been called?

PostPosted: 05/20/17 9:09 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Well a coach can 'request' pretty much anything, but whether the ref is going to pay any attention is a different matter. The coach can't make the refs review it like, say, a challenge flag in the NFL can force a review.

I did wonder, watching it back, whether a more veteran head coach than VJ would've made a bigger fuss, led to a video review, and potentially more serious consequences for Taurasi. In recent Liberty games, for example, every time there's a play like that Laimbeer is immediately telling the refs what he thinks the call should be. No way he lets it go as quietly as VJ did.

PostPosted: 05/20/17 9:42 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Griner had another good game -- if she plays at this level consistently, the Mercury will be better than expected.

Oh, and Isabelle Harrison needs to get more than one rebound in 29 minutes if she's going to be an effective WNBA player.

PostPosted: 05/20/17 10:40 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
Griner had another good game -- if she plays at this level consistently, the Mercury will be better than expected.

Oh, and Isabelle Harrison needs to get more than one rebound in 29 minutes if she's going to be an effective WNBA player.

Griner had 2 rebounds in 31 minutes her first game and nobody cared.

Rock Hard

PostPosted: 05/20/17 10:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

zvyn3 wrote:
ClayK wrote:

Griner had 2 rebounds in 31 minutes her first game and nobody cared.

If you read the game thread of Phoenix's first game there were many people here that drilled her a brand new anus for only getting two rebounds that game.

PostPosted: 05/20/17 11:21 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I thought SAS played pretty well and I would bet they would have won the game if Plum and Jefferson had been able to play at full speed. Looks to me like Taurasi may be over the hill and having just signed a long term contract feels no need to exert herself too much. Next game for SAS not until Thursday morning and I would think Plum and Jefferson should be ready to go by then. If they are I think it will be a long day for the Wings.

Michelle89

PostPosted: 05/20/17 3:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
Michelle89 wrote:
Richyyy wrote:
Luuuc wrote:
Dee T tally: 1

She should be in the fucking locker room. That a clearly intentional elbow/forearm thrown at someone's head. Any ref with a modicum of guts should've tossed her.

Havent seen the game yet. And what point did it happen?

Four minutes left in the second quarter. We'll see over the next couple of days whether the League has the guts to say their refs screwed up, and potentially suspend her for Tuesday's game.

Just saw it. Im a fan of Taurasi but this is an easy ejection IMO. She should of been tossed right away. Im curious aswell if the league will have the guts to suspend her.

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 05/20/17 3:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Angus24 wrote:
I thought SAS played pretty well and I would bet they would have won the game if Plum and Jefferson had been able to play at full speed.

That seems likely to me, also.

Plum and Jefferson surely would have produced a lot more than Colson's and Holmes's seven points on 3-13 shooting. Nevertheless, SAS shot a higher FG% than the Merc and had more rebounds and assists.
Libra_Girl

PostPosted: 05/20/17 6:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Even after their comeback Stars got hurt by not having any playmakers to set up good shots in the last mins.

BG starting off the season on good note. DT should have been ejected for that elbow to Hamby's head. I can understand being frustrated but being dirty is another thing.

Queenie

PostPosted: 05/20/17 7:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:

My experience with Cissoko-Stephens, from even before she was hyphenated, is that she gives just barely enough fucks about physical play to stay employed. (It has been seven years and I still seethe when I think about the Southern Miss-St. John's game she nominally called, one in which all five of our starters left injured.)

PostPosted: 05/20/17 8:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
Richyyy wrote:

My experience with Cissoko-Stephens, from even before she was hyphenated, is that she gives just barely enough fucks about physical play to stay employed. (It has been seven years and I still seethe when I think about the Southern Miss-St. John's game she nominally called, one in which all five of our starters left injured.)

Ah okay, so maybe just a ref who doesn't think an elbow to the head is particularly noteworthy or worthy of punishment, rather than one scared to eject a star.

PostPosted: 05/21/17 5:19 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Michelle89

PostPosted: 05/21/17 6:05 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

zune69 wrote:

She hit Colson (i think) afterwards aswell although that was minor but still not necessary

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
Randy

PostPosted: 05/21/17 7:30 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

C'mon now you guys. Princess Diana gets a to do as she pleases. At least she didn't kiss Colson or Hamby,

akronborn

PostPosted: 05/21/17 7:40 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I hate how there continues to be a different set a rules for certain players. Definitely lowers my excitement and respect for the org.

Libra_Girl

PostPosted: 05/21/17 7:47 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

zune69 wrote:
Wow and then proceeds to hit Colson too smh.

WfanFrJmp

PostPosted: 05/21/17 1:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Libra_Girl wrote:
zune69 wrote:
Wow and then proceeds to hit Colson too smh.

I mean really?! What on earth?!!

Michelle89

PostPosted: 05/21/17 2:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Taurasi is suspended for the next game so the league got it right

Queenie

PostPosted: 05/21/17 4:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
C'mon now you guys. Princess Diana gets a to do as she pleases. At least she didn't kiss Colson or Hamby,

Her wife might have something to say about that nowadays. Wink

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: