45%  [ 15 ]
Sparks
54%
 54%  [ 18 ]
Total Votes : 33

zune69

PostPosted: 05/13/17 9:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Lumes wrote:
The only player I would judge after this game is Alana. Her defensive presence, as always, made much more impact, than box score can show. As for others... You can do any miracle stats vs worst team in the league (and storm is such without Bird and Brianna), but this is costs nothing. Who was Sims and Gray opponent? Or isn't duo Toka-Langhorn worst defensive tandem of bigs in this league?

There's some truth in your statement,however,Sims is a completely different player.No rushed shots early in the shot clock,found the open shooter,took quality shots,and played defense.Sims had about 3 games all of last season where she shot 50% fg.She shot 60% against seattle.Sims is a totally different player,and it's mainly due to the head coaching.

And to think....seattle could've drafted K.Davis had they kept the #6 pick.Not saying Davis will be a star.But i'd take the potential of Davis over Swords any day.

UK1996

PostPosted: 05/13/17 9:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I would really love to see Beard get the DPOY award her last season. IMO, you could have made a strong case for her last season. It seems as though blocks are the biggest factor when it comes to voting, which for a guard are a lot harder to come by.

PostPosted: 05/13/17 9:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ogwumike certainly has lengthed her range since college - if she even shot jumpers back then.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/rg_yrzl2J8o" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

willtalk

PostPosted: 05/13/17 9:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

All and all it's just one game. Need a larger sample to make any evaluation for any team or players. Basketball is a strange game. You can look great one day and stink it up the next.

canadaball

PostPosted: 05/13/17 10:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
I like alicia clark and all but she has failed to improve these past few seasons imo.

One road game w/o two of your main players does not a season make, but I have been saying for months that Clark is the big achilles heel for Seattle. After being cut multiple times, she certainly deserves respect for overcoming so much to play in the league, but way too limited. The girl has no size, not very fast, a shaky shooter, and cannot jump (these are the reasons for the multiple releases). Today's box score says it all: 30 minutes, NO points, TWO rebounds. I don't care how many All Stars on a team, you will be losing plenty with a small forward like that. The scary thing for Seattle is they have no backup for Clark. Throw in the lack of backup pg for 36 year old Bird, and there exist many question marks about the team's future success.

Admiral_Needa

PostPosted: 05/14/17 12:28 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
I like alicia clark and all but she has failed to improve these past few seasons imo.

She is what she is... A good defensive player whom I'd be more than happy to have as a backup SF... As a starting SF? Not so much. Confused

CompSci87

PostPosted: 05/14/17 2:02 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
Ogwumike certainly has lengthed her range since college - if she even shot jumpers back then.

She had great shooting touch all through college but didn't start shooting from 3-point range until her senior year, IIRC.

J-Spoon

PostPosted: 05/14/17 2:10 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Admiral_Needa wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:

She is what she is... A good defensive player whom I'd be more than happy to have as a backup SF... As a starting SF? Not so much. Confused

She's a better starting SF when Bird, Loyd, and Stewart are the starters around her.

jap

PostPosted: 05/14/17 3:27 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:
Admiral_Needa wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
I like Alysha Clark and all but she has failed to improve these past few seasons imo.

She's a better starting SF when Bird, Loyd, and Stewart are the starters around her.

Alysha is a tweener. She doesn't handle the ball well enough to serve as a guard. Lacks ideal height and weight for a SF. She shoots very well when given space; in fact, she was a top scorer in college but struggles against taller, savvier defenders up close. However, she is intelligent and surprisingly gritty, given her eye candy looks. She displays a willingness to take hard charges and deliver hard screens when necessary. As J-Spoon indicated she integrates very well around savvier players, feeding off their strengths & weaknesses.

PostPosted: 05/14/17 9:17 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CompSci87 wrote:
tfan wrote:

She had great shooting touch all through college but didn't start shooting from 3-point range until her senior year, IIRC.

I don't even think of her as having much of an outside shot in the pros (prior to this last game). Here's an article from last August that talks about her being set to break the field goal record % by a mile, which is a classic sign of someone that is mostly shooting close to the basket.

Quote:
She isn’t doing anything fancy. Ogwumike’s game is simple but gritty, with her type of physicality scarcely matched. Nearly all of her points come from a few feet outside of the rim, and are met with contact she’s strong enough to finish through.

jap

PostPosted: 05/14/17 9:40 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I saw Nneka and Chiney being interviewed together in the past. It may have been during Nneka's senior collegiate season. Chiney disclosed then that Nneka shot from downtown very well but that she was a perfectionist and would never use that shot in a game unless she was supremely confident in it (all chukkers take careful note!).

I understand Nneka was doing more outside shooting abroad before the 2016 season, and she certainly started to use the downtown strokes more frequently last season. So yesterday's game is just a natural evolution of all her practicing to become a better all around player.

Last edited by jap on 05/14/17 10:24 am; edited 1 time in total
Nixtreefan

PostPosted: 05/14/17 10:21 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

IMO Nneka always had the touch more than Chiney even though it was Chiney who chucked up some 3's her senior year. Nneka was able to hit mid range in college.

Beard is a beast, she looks like she is in her early 20's. Sims and Gray looked sharp, Sims D will make a difference on the perimeter. The Storm looked slow and out of sync, Swords looked soft.

ClayK

PostPosted: 05/14/17 10:47 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sims looked bigger than I remember, but it also seemed that Seattle was stunned that she was left-handed. Every move to the hoop was to the left and the Storm defenders were apparently shocked, shocked, by this display of sinister behavior.

Everybody's favorite to beat up on, Noelle Quinn, played very well, as did Ramu Tokashiki, and Tiffany Jackson-Jones played as well as I've ever seen from her.

PostPosted: 05/14/17 10:56 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

1.From a defensive standpoint,this was the perfect game for Gray.Clark/Quinn are both low volume scorers,and don't really put much offensive pressure on the defense.

2.Something tells me Williams stay with the sparks will be very brief:

a.Only played 12 minutes.
b.Agler screaming at Williams to get in the huddle.
c.Carson will play 20 minutes minimum.
d.O'Hea is a better fit than Williams...Jenna is without a team.

readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 05/14/17 12:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

zune69 wrote:
1.From a defensive standpoint,this was the perfect game for Gray.Clark/Quinn are both low volume scorers,and don't really put much offensive pressure on the defense.

I'd make that switch in a New York nano-second. That was the worst "coming back from injury" outing I've seen in awhile. Wiese outplayed her by a country mile. Maybe that's the problem.

~rAf
jap

PostPosted: 05/14/17 12:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

readyAIMfire53 wrote:
zune69 wrote:

I'd make that switch in a New York nano-second. That was the worst "coming back from injury" outing I've seen in awhile. Wiese outplayed her by a country mile. Maybe that's the problem.

Jenna is too slow to guard the quicker guards and SF's. However, she really does a nice job tying up Diana Taurasi. Very Happy She may be worth the trouble for that alone.

PostPosted: 05/14/17 1:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jap wrote:
readyAIMfire53 wrote:
zune69 wrote:

Jenna is too slow to guard the quicker guards and SF's. However, she really does a nice job tying up Diana Taurasi. Very Happy She may be worth the trouble for that alone.

But quick and big enough to guard Coleman,Thomas,Currie,Christmas,Clark and Young.That's half of the starting sf in the league.Plus O'Hea is a great three point shooter,and a team first player.

jap

PostPosted: 05/14/17 1:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

zune69 wrote:
jap wrote:
readyAIMfire53 wrote:
zune69 wrote:

But quick and big enough to guard Coleman,Thomas,Currie,Christmas,Clark and Young.That's half of the starting sf in the league.Plus O'Hea is a great three point shooter,and a team first player.

Around the time period when the Sparks released her she was struggling mightily with her downtown stroke. She lacks Kristi's lightning quick release and needs to be set up for her shots. She is not as slow as Marissa Coleman's release used to be but her release is still not prime time like Kristi's.

However, we are only speculating here, and we need to see whether Riquna is going to work her way into or out of Brian's doghouse as the case may be. He has worked with Jenna before and knows her full repertoire of skills.

PostPosted: 05/14/17 1:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

haven't watched the game yet, but Loyd had 9 turnovers...?

jap

PostPosted: 05/14/17 1:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

threadkiller1201 wrote:
haven't watched the game yet, but Loyd had 9 turnovers...?

Alana Beard was being a defensive nightmare with 5 steals in the first half alone.

PostPosted: 05/16/17 7:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ChicagoAnnie wrote:
zune69 wrote:
Wow,at Sims indirectly calling Dallas an unprofessional organization.

yeah, my ears perked up when i heard this... #burn

however, if Sims had "disciplinary" issues in Dallas she will learn that she is playing for a coach that pulled a future hall-of-famer, with a sometimes prickly in-game disposition during a playoff game.

Finally got the chance to see the DVR playback of the game.

And yes, I can understand Sims thinking that the Sparks are a more "professional" organization than the Wings are. Actually, it was sideline reporter LaChina Robinson who mentioned that Sims felt that she was in professional organization, because of the presence of veterans players there, as opposed to the Wings.

I guess Odyssey needed a more of a disciplinary-oriented coach than what the Wings could have given her, and more "tough love" from her new teammates.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: