RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

concussion litigation

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
myrtle

PostPosted: 08/02/17 10:08 am    ::: concussion litigation Reply Reply with quote

Kind of interesting. I just got one of those class action notices that the NCAA is being sued regarding concussion protocol or lack thereof in bygone days and that all former athletes are part of the suit. I never had a concussion so it seems a bit strange to be included. Anyway if you're interested, this is the link they gave me:
www.collegeathleteconcussionsettlement.com

It looks like the settlement will provide a couple of free 'medical monitoring' sessions. Maybe a free checkup?

- Amanda Gorman
ArtBest23

PostPosted: 08/02/17 4:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
I never had a concussion

I don't know anything about your history, but I expect the plaintiff's position is that you likely had a concussion at some point whether you knew it, or were diagnosed as being concussed, or not.

I know we didn't even think about these things when I was playing sports. Basically anything short of being unconscious or unable to stand up meant you got up and kept playing. I think most players got what medical science today would call a concussion, even though no one thought of it that way at the time.

Exhibit A is probably soccer players. They probably all had concussions. How many players thought they were getting concussed just from heading the ball?

And how many basketball players never got elbowed in the head, hit in the head with an errant pass, or hit their head on the floor?

I can't imagine anyone playing football or rugby or hockey or lacrosse and never getting a significant knock in the head. Even today they might not always or consistently call it a concussion on the sideline. Researchers might differ with many of those calls.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: