RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Which coach is the most vulnerable to firing?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Which coach is the most vulnerable to firing after the season?
Sandy Brondello
14%
 14%  [ 8 ]
Pokie Chatman
7%
 7%  [ 4 ]
Michael Cooper
41%
 41%  [ 23 ]
Vicki Johnson
20%
 20%  [ 11 ]
Gary Kloppenburg
10%
 10%  [ 6 ]
Amber Stocks
5%
 5%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 55

tfan

PostPosted: 08/26/17 5:00 pm    ::: Which coach is the most vulnerable to firing? Reply Reply with quote

Which coach has the highest possibility of being fired after the season?

lynxmania

PostPosted: 08/26/17 5:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Why isn't Fred Williams on this list?

tfan

PostPosted: 08/26/17 5:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

lynxmania wrote:
Why isn't Fred Williams on this list?

He was supposed to be. I don't know what happened (I had been trying to adjust them to be in alphabetical order) and it appears I can't edit the poll now.

lynxmania

PostPosted: 08/26/17 5:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Chatman, Stocks, and Johnson are all in their 1st years with their teams, so I don't see them as vulnerable at all. Klop is just an interim, but I feel like he will get an interview, but I don't know if they will go with him. (So I guess he might be the choice then. Though it technically isn't a firing)

Which then leaves Brondello, Williams, and Cooper.

Phoenix had a huge roster turnover this year and yet they are still around .500. (Potentially could have been even better if Griner doesn't get hurt). Cooper could potentially use the "No Angel" excuse, but they have not looked great in the 2nd half of the season at all. Williams, in my opinion, has always underperformed in Tulsa/Dallas. I always expect them to be high in the standings and then nothing seems to have changed.

So to me ultimately it comes down to Cooper or Williams. My choice is Williams, but I feel like both teams could use someone new.

tfan

PostPosted: 08/26/17 5:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Vicki Johnson was only given a one year contract, which I think is unusual. Seems like they were leaving open the possibility of getting rid of her after just one year.

sigur3

PostPosted: 08/26/17 6:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
Vicki Johnson was only given a one year contract, which I think is unusual. Seems like they were leaving open the possibility of getting rid of her after just one year.

So would it be considered a firing if they just don't bring her back?

Happycappie25

PostPosted: 08/26/17 6:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Klopp I thought got a quick hook in Tulsa...Seattle has played well since Jenny Boo got fired...make the playoffs and I think I'd consider taking off the Interim tag for a season

VJ is on a 1 year deal...which is odd enough...we will see...most of this was caused by Reily and odd drafting and holding on when she shouldn't have (if rejected trade rumors are to be believed) but she's on shaky ground...when she had Jefferson healthy Stars played well...but that's very troubling given Mo's current injury...we'll see too many different directions for SA to make a call

Cooper had the team playing well and then the wheels came off with the axel AND engine as well...that cant be excused by No angel I think it's time for a change.

Fred I can see WHY people want him gone...but he basically nuked the roster (because of a Knucklehead problem) looks like Cambage may be back next year thanks to Phillips (if this is good or bad is for debate) He needs to tighten up the D but this team has talent and has found talent...No powers for most of the year is a big excuse IMHO...one more year.

Brondello has gotten the team younger and had to deal with No Griner and still is in solid playoff position...this wasn't a title contender regardless...I'd keep her for now.

Stocks had a HORRID start...butted heads with players but once she realized Sloot and Quigs are a top backcourt tandem, wins started coming...Still some bad performances and No shows I put her 50-50....certainly the Boyette comments and trade don't help but they did keep coates...a lot of odd...Id be more inclined to hire a GM over her and give her a second chance than fire her after a year

Pokey had the team starting well but losing Catchings is a huge deal after all...and then the injuries hit...and hit...and HIT! She gets a pass...seems to be liked there...will add pieces in the off season...everyone knew this was gonna be a rebuild.

PostPosted: 08/26/17 7:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sigur3 wrote:
tfan wrote:

So would it be considered a firing if they just don't bring her back?

I would consider it a firing since VJ wants to come back.

blaase22

PostPosted: 08/26/17 7:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Refuse to vote without Fred on here.

NYL_WNBA_FAN

PostPosted: 08/26/17 9:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The one thing against Williams is how stagnant Dallas' offense gets in 4th quarters. Even tonight it was, though they won in spite of it.

PostPosted: 08/26/17 9:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

blaase22 wrote:
Refuse to vote without Fred on here.

Time for an Extended Choices Hot Seat Poll?

Might as well wait until the season's over. If Cooper slips into the playoffs, Randy & Pilight will be throwing a parade for him. Surprised

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
ster II

PostPosted: 08/26/17 10:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Cooper, if ATL doesn't make the playoffs.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 08/27/17 12:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:
The one thing against Williams is how stagnant Dallas' offense gets in 4th quarters. Even tonight it was, though they won in spite of it.

There's also the small fact that they're about to be a bottom-two defense in the league for the eighth consecutive season. And he's shown no sign of having the first clue how to fix it.

PostPosted: 08/27/17 1:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:

There's also the small fact that they're about to be a bottom-two defense in the league for the eighth consecutive season. And he's shown no sign of having the first clue how to fix it.

Getting a starting center should be a good start...

Ay Mate

PostPosted: 08/27/17 1:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I've heard that some players in Indiana don't care much for Pokey Chatman's coaching style and personality. It was rumored that some players didn't like her that much in Chicago either.

Either way, the Fever need a complete overhaul. They better hope they get a superstar lottery pick to rebuild around because there is not a single player on the team to build a team around right now. I don't see them making any post season appearances for at least another couple years. They have a lot of dead weight on their roster. It needs to be exploded and rebuilt from the ground up, with a new head coach. But who? The Pacers (team owners) are known to be impatient as well. Wasn't it a few years back that said if the Fever don't win a championship soon, they'll be shut down? How long will the owners put up with a badly losing team now? It's the Fever's fault they're in this mess to begin with. They knew Catchings was retiring soon and did nothing to compensate through trades/free agency or anything. Their roster is dreadful and if by chance they add Bonner next season, that ain't gonna make it that much better.

If I were Indiana, I'd find a nice trade package for the upcoming number one pick (which will probably be A'ja Wilson). I'd trade the farm to get her if I were the Fever's GM. Once they have her, they can build a new team around her. They're not going to build a new team around Dupree.

Shades

PostPosted: 08/27/17 2:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This should probably go in the Indy thread. I wasn't feeling the Pokey hiring, but I didn't think they'd be this bad. You have to admit, a lot of it was injuries: Tiffany Mitchell, Shenise Johnson, Dev Peters, Maggie Lucas, plus January and Larkins had nagging issues.

Wheeler shows promise as the starting PG of the future. She needs to facilitate more. I have to admit, Gwathmey shows more promise than I thought she would when she was drafted #14. Indy has one of the better GM's in the league, so I don't think they'll muff up their lottery pick. If Dupree stays, maybe they can sign Bonner somehow without giving up that lottery pick. Then the outlook is looking better already.

Ay Mate

PostPosted: 08/27/17 2:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
This should probably go in the Indy thread. I wasn't feeling the Pokey hiring, but I didn't think they'd be this bad. You have to admit, a lot of it was injuries: Tiffany Mitchell, Shenise Johnson, Dev Peters, Maggie Lucas, plus January and Larkins had nagging issues.

Wheeler shows promise as the starting PG of the future. She needs to facilitate more. I have to admit, Gwathmey shows more promise than I thought she would when she was drafted #14. Indy has one of the better GM's in the league, so I don't think they'll muff up their lottery pick. If Dupree stays, maybe they can sign Bonner somehow without giving up that lottery pick. Then the outlook is looking better already.

I just think that when Catchings retired, ushering in a new Fever era, they should have went the Chicago rout and just hired a first year head coach. Sure Indy had injuries, but Chatman is a horrendous head coach. Amber Stocks showed a thousand times more promise than Chatman did this season.

myrtle

PostPosted: 08/27/17 2:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think we should have a coaching lottery every two years. Coaches go wherever they are drafted.

- Amanda Gorman
Ay Mate

PostPosted: 08/27/17 2:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:

I knew the Fever would be this bad. My pre-season lottery teams were San Antonio, Atlanta, Indiana and Phoenix.

I knew San Antonio would be doomed, that much was obvious from the start.

I knew Indiana would be doomed becasue they lost Catchings who was the heart and soul of the team, plus Stephanie White left and they hired Chatman in her place and I knew adding Dupree wouldn't do much.

I knew Atlanta would be doomed without Angel McCoughtry. The Dream live and die by her. I did however predict a late season surge by Atlanta if Angel decided to return after the all-star break, and if she did, they'd make the playoffs.

The only one I got wrong was Phoenix. I didn't think they'd go anywhere this year after returning only 2 players and losing Dupree, Bonner and Penny Taylor. I thought it was too much roster upheaval to make the playoffs. They're not a good team by any measure, but they've been good enough to make the playoffs afterall.

pilight

PostPosted: 08/28/17 8:04 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Being an interim coach, like Klopp, is always going to be precarious

PostPosted: 08/28/17 12:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Seems like a lot will depend on who if any qualified coaches are available. Anybody know of any? I would guess that Cooper is the most vulnerable if Atlanta has any prospects.

Angus24

PostPosted: 08/28/17 12:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Seems like a lot will depend on who if any qualified coaches are available. Anybody know of any? I would guess that Cooper is the most vulnerable if Atlanta has any prospects.

myrtle

PostPosted: 08/28/17 12:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Angus24 wrote:

depends on what you call qualified. Some team ownerships obviously have a different idea about this than I do....but then I'm just a basement dweller.

- Amanda Gorman
Randy

PostPosted: 08/28/17 2:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think we will know by shortly after the end of the regular season if Cooper is getting fired. Don't see why Angel, I mean the owners would wait. My guess is he stays, but then I like him.

I don't think Pokey is in danger. Coaches on rebuilding teams are expected to lose a lot of games. She has met expectations.

VJ? Stars did improve a lot and win some games last half of the season, so she might be safe. Having only a one year deal makes me think Riley was not sold on her in the first place though.

Brondello - she has already won as many games this year as last year, while missing 3 star players. Don't see it.

Klop - he may well go. (Who knows - Dream might hire him if they fire Cooper). Tough to keep the job as an interim coach with only 8 games. I think he stays only if the Storm make the playoffs and win at least one playoff game.

My final answer: Klop and VJ go.

Shades

PostPosted: 09/05/17 7:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I finally voted on this Smile

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: