RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Lauren Jackson's post-career 'nightmare'

View previous topic :: View next topic  
stever

PostPosted: 05/01/17 11:21 am    ::: Lauren Jackson's post-career 'nightmare' Reply Reply with quote

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/basketball-great-lauren-jacksons-postcareer-nightmare-20170501-gvw4n8.html#-/web/topics/268490733-1493654480699-trackingCode-mm7fU3G1AxZnRVvyFFP7stdAwcqhGow9LgDhC7G9V6J5V9/3EssntlDvNBqSVT09-articleId-400587923-vv-baad5b95-71ed-40fe-a047-bcd075f79304

Quote:
"You're getting paid a lot of money to perform, and when you're a franchise player or someone that is expected to perform day in, day out, you do what you have to do to get by.

"For me, that was painkillers and sleeping pills, generally."

Michelle89

PostPosted: 05/01/17 12:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

With huge amount of injuries and surgeries she had this comes as no suprise.
She played through so much and came back from some horrific injuries (shins, knee, hip, back and the list goes on)
I remember an interview a year after she played against the Lynx in the playoffs. She admitted that she played those games on 1 leg really and then she went to the olympics (i believe) and everything became worse.
Having multiple injections just to be able to get through those games.

I just hope that she can find happiness in her new career whatever it might be and that she enjoys her family life with lil Harry

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
NYL_WNBA_FAN

PostPosted: 05/01/17 5:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

For her sake, I'm really happy to read that she was able to wean herself from the pain pills. I've never had to go through that and for that I am thankful. I can only guess how difficult it must have been.

When you think about the league and the lack of mainstream media coverage, we don't get much info about injuries let alone LJ's experience. It's easy to sort of shrug off what players might be going through when you don't have the awareness of it. This is a reminder of how difficult it can be to play year-round especially when injured. Here's hoping physically she can live as normal a life as possible.

PostPosted: 05/02/17 9:12 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:
For her sake, I'm really happy to read that she was able to wean herself from the pain pills. I've never had to go through that and for that I am thankful. I can only guess how difficult it must have been.

When you think about the league and the lack of mainstream media coverage, we don't get much info about injuries let alone LJ's experience. It's easy to sort of shrug off what players might be going through when you don't have the awareness of it. This is a reminder of how difficult it can be to play year-round especially when injured. Here's hoping physically she can live as normal a life as possible.

I think most of us feel professional and even collegiate athletes are living the dream -- we love sports and love to play but weren't good enough to compete at a high level (though maybe there are some on this board who did).

But even at the collegiate level, it's a job, and not necessarily an easy one. A friend of mine who was a D1 pitcher goes off whenever anyone says he had a "free education." There were the 6 a.m. weightlifting sessions, the classes he couldn't take, the operations, the pain, the pressure, etc.

At the pro level, it's even worse. Think about it: For the majority of players, you're only as good as your most recent performances. If the shots don't drop for a month or two, you're either out of work or taking a serious pay cut. At the same time, you're dealing with keeping your body healthy and your mind right.

For LJ, even at her elite level, the pressure is always on, from owners, coaches, teammates and fans, to play through pain, to deliver on the contract, to be clutch every night out. And it's a hard road, sometimes a very hard road, and yet from the outside, it seems so great. Who wouldn't want to be paid to play basketball, right?

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: