RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

USA U23 Team

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
awhom111

PostPosted: 04/19/17 8:57 pm    ::: USA U23 Team Reply Reply with quote

I guess this will replace the World University Games team since Maryland will be representing the United States. Walz as head coach flanked by Banghart and Clark-Heard:
https://www.usab.com/news-events/news/2017/04/wu23-coaches.aspx

Hopefully Rebecca Greenwell can make this team after she had to pull out late two years ago due to illness.
ucbart

PostPosted: 04/20/17 1:42 pm    ::: Re: USA U23 Team Reply Reply with quote

awhom111 wrote:
I guess this will replace the World University Games team since Maryland will be representing the United States. Walz as head coach flanked by Banghart and Clark-Heard:

Hopefully Rebecca Greenwell can make this team after she had to pull out late two years ago due to illness.

I can't wait to see who gets invited and makes that team. WCBB is loaded with talent right now, IMO.

NoDakSt

PostPosted: 04/21/17 4:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Baylor reporting that 3 Bears getting U23 tryout invites.

Nat Chou and Kalani Brown for team USA and Kristy Wallace
For Australia.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 04/21/17 6:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

if Chou is invited, they must have cast a wide net.

Ladyvol777

PostPosted: 04/21/17 7:13 pm    ::: Re: USA U23 Team Reply Reply with quote

awhom111 wrote:

Not sure she is eligible, only goes to freshmen, Sophomores and Junior.

awhom111

PostPosted: 04/21/17 11:32 pm    ::: Re: USA U23 Team Reply Reply with quote

Ladyvol777 wrote:
awhom111 wrote:

Not sure she is eligible, only goes to freshmen, Sophomores and Junior.

I interpreted that as athletics-wise and not academics-wise, which would make her currently a junior.
RavenDog

PostPosted: 04/22/17 11:37 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:

Laughing Do they shove burning sticks at you in your cage at night?

linkster

PostPosted: 04/22/17 1:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:

Chou has a history with USABB and must have made an impression. She was no 8 on HG's 2016 recruiting list and played behind some very talented upperclassmen last season.

USABB is looking for players with the potential to be national team members in the future and who have shown a willingness to sublimate their own game for the good of the team, not necessarily those who are putting up the best numbers as college freshmen.

FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 04/22/17 3:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

From the USAB website, which doesn't really say if year means academic or athletic year:

"The 2017 U23 Four Nations Tournament, which will include the USA, Australia, Canada and Japan, will be a round-robin tournament played Aug. 12-15 in Tokyo (arena TBA). Athletes eligible for this team must be U.S. citizens who are 23 years old or younger and currently are freshmen, sophomores or juniors in college.

Training camp to select the 12-member U.S. roster will be August July 31-Aug. 4 at the United States Olympic Training Center in Colorado Springs, Colorado. Players selected to the team will continue training at the USOTC through Aug. 7 before departing for Tokyo."

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 04/22/17 3:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:

Chou has a history with USABB and must have made an impression. She was no 8 on HG's 2016 recruiting list and played behind some very talented upperclassmen last season.

USABB is looking for players with the potential to be national team members in the future and who have shown a willingness to sublimate their own game for the good of the team, not necessarily those who are putting up the best numbers as college freshmen.

Now that you're done with the USABB press release gibberish, you might try to explain how a freshman who averaged 14 minutes and 4 points per game belongs in front of a hundred or two better performing freshmen, sophomores and juniors.

As I said, if they've worked their way down to a 4ppg benchwarmer, the list must be pretty long.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 04/22/17 3:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FrozenLVFan wrote:
From the USAB website, which doesn't really say if year means academic or athletic year:

"The 2017 U23 Four Nations Tournament, which will include the USA, Australia, Canada and Japan, will be a round-robin tournament played Aug. 12-15 in Tokyo (arena TBA). Athletes eligible for this team must be U.S. citizens who are 23 years old or younger and currently are freshmen, sophomores or juniors in college.

Training camp to select the 12-member U.S. roster will be August July 31-Aug. 4 at the United States Olympic Training Center in Colorado Springs, Colorado. Players selected to the team will continue training at the USOTC through Aug. 7 before departing for Tokyo."

My assumption when I read that was that they are looking for players who are still in, and will be playing in, college next year rather than those who just graduated. But it certainly is not a model of clarity.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 04/22/17 6:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm sure they mean academic years.

Imagine if the great Tori Jankoska hadn't played any college sports at all during her first three academic years. Then she joins the basketball team in her fourth academic year. I'm sure USAB would not consider her a "freshman" because she's using an athletic eligibility year for the first time. She's a senior with two years of athletic eligibility remaining.
linkster

PostPosted: 04/22/17 9:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
linkster wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:

Now that you're done with the USABB press release gibberish, you might try to explain how a freshman who averaged 14 minutes and 4 points per game belongs in front of a hundred or two better performing freshmen, sophomores and juniors.

As I said, if they've worked their way down to a 4ppg benchwarmer, the list must be pretty long.

I think I clearly stated that according to their own statements USABB is looking to develop future national team members. You seem to think it's gibberish. Or are you calling what I say gibberish. In either case I wonder what it is that causes you to constantly feel the need to use condescending language when you disagree with someone?

You call Chou a bench-warmer despite the fact that 2 drafted players and a future Olympic upperclass team mates started in front of her and took most of the minutes. I guess you have such deep knowledge of Chou's talent that enables you to speak with such confidence. I don't. But I remember a freshman guard named Jefferson who averaged 4.7 points in 17.4 mins/game as a freshman. She ended up a Lieberman winner and the second pick in the draft.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 04/22/17 11:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:
But I remember a freshman guard named Jefferson who averaged 4.7 points in 17.4 mins/game as a freshman. She ended up a Lieberman winner and the second pick in the draft.

I was going to point out that there was a three year gap between the two events you've linked in your mind, but it's probably more appropriate to just say.......

"Forget it, he's rolling."

linkster

PostPosted: 04/23/17 3:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
linkster wrote:
But I remember a freshman guard named Jefferson who averaged 4.7 points in 17.4 mins/game as a freshman. She ended up a Lieberman winner and the second pick in the draft.

I was going to point out that there was a three year gap between the two events you've linked in your mind, but it's probably more appropriate to just say.......

"Forget it, he's rolling."

Yes. Three years. And by their own words USABB is saying that their eye isn't simply on winning a 4 team round robin tournament this summer, but in developing players they see has having the potential to contribute to the national team in future years. I doubt any players coming off their freshmen seasons will make the U23 team but the tryouts will give the USA selection committee an idea of both their potential and their attitude and give the players an introduction to the USABB style of play. I wouldn't be surprised if J Young also gets an invite.

In articles I have read over the last several years USABB has said that they are trying to get away from just picking an all-star team every 4 years and having them be forced to play one on one basketball because of the lack of practice time. They want to start developing players at a much earlier age so that those that ultimately become national team members will have had many years of playing a more team oriented style of play such as we saw in the last Olympics.

Or is that just USABB gibberish?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: