RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Plum May Not Play This Year?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
STLnTDOT

PostPosted: 04/19/17 1:29 pm    ::: Plum May Not Play This Year? Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
Plum is not without recourse. By WNBA rules, she can sit out the season, and as long as she doesn't play internationally, either, San Antonio will lose the rights to her. She can re-enter the draft, and the Stars will end up with nothing to show for their No. 1 overall pick. A source familiar with Plum's thinking indicated that there's every possibility that could happen should San Antonio keep Plum. Later this week, Plum heads to San Antonio for some media appearances. The front office hopes that the experience of seeing it all up close will lead to a resolution.

In the meantime, the continuing drama holds much of the rest of the league hostage. Should the Stars decide to deal Plum, the Sky would happily deal Coates to get her. But if San Antonio doesn't deal Plum, the Sky don't want Coates, and would trade her elsewhere. Other teams eager to acquire Plum from the Sky, should a deal go through, are still plotting, crafting contingencies should they have the good fortune to add Plum. The season is less than a month away, though, so the Sky really need to make a decision. So do the Stars. So do other teams. So does Plum, who has yet to sign and for whom "all options are on the table at this point," according to a source familiar with her thinking.

https://sports.vice.com/en_us/article/kelsey-plum-went-first-in-the-wnba-draft-and-now-shes-stuck-in-limbo

toad455

PostPosted: 04/19/17 1:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

That just wouldn't be fair for the Stars. If she doesn't want to play for San Antonio, then trade her. Seattle would be happy to take her. Plum for Langhorne & KML?

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
sigur3

PostPosted: 04/19/17 1:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

According to a source familiar with the author's thinking, this article is a load of shit.

pilight

PostPosted: 04/19/17 1:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't see how Plum benefits from sitting out. She'd be better off playing, even if it is sparingly, and burning a year off her rookie contract.

Ruth Riley, as a brand new GM, is unsurprisingly gunshy. Trading away the #1 pick in the draft isn't easy, making that your first major move as GM takes serious guts. Anne Meyers did it when she first took over the Merc, and it worked out well for them, but it was a controversial decision at the time.

PostPosted: 04/19/17 1:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Why re-enter and possibly fall out of the lottery next season ? Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: 04/19/17 1:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sigur3 wrote:
According to a source familiar with the author's thinking, this article is a load of shit.

Who actually wrote it? I can't imagine Plum sitting out a year and re-entering the draft. Does not compute.

- Amanda Gorman
lynxmania

PostPosted: 04/19/17 1:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Did the people from Swish Appeal move over and write this?

sigur3

PostPosted: 04/19/17 1:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
sigur3 wrote:

Who actually wrote it? I can't imagine Plum sitting out a year and re-entering the draft. Does not compute.

Take a wild guess. Who writes every other article that takes one "no comment" or "we'll see" and turns it into an essay of speculation?

pilight

PostPosted: 04/19/17 1:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
sigur3 wrote:

The byline says "Howard Megdal"

PostPosted: 04/19/17 1:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
myrtle wrote:
sigur3 wrote:

The byline says "Howard Megdal"

#Dead Arrow

PostPosted: 04/19/17 1:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

He sent this piece off to Vice because he didn't want to publish pure speculation on his own website, so when this turns out to be wrong, he won't have to worry about further ruining his own credibility. (EDIT: nevermind, guess he's not that sharp)

A TON of the draft class still hasn't signed yet. But Plum might sit out!

Plum is making media appearances this week, so maybe that's a good sign they'll keep her! BUT ANYTHING CAN HAPPEN GUYS

Don't click on this. It doesn't deserve it.

Shades

PostPosted: 04/19/17 2:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
There are potential three-guard lineup options, but these were not appealing to new Stars coach Vickie Johnson, according to a source familiar with her thinking.

Dan Hughes?

Quote:
But the sequence of events that led to San Antonio's decision has created a difficult situation for everybody involved. Plum is aware that Johnson wasn't eager to add her—not only would she be coming to a challenging new situation to play in a relatively unprecedented small lineup, she'd be doing it for a coach who didn't believe in her.

Dayum! I appreciate this kind of reporting which has been lacking in the WNBA, but can we at least get Johnson on the record as not believing in Plum?

Quote:
Plum is not without recourse. By WNBA rules, she can sit out the season, and as long as she doesn't play internationally, either, San Antonio will lose the rights to her. She can re-enter the draft, and the Stars will end up with nothing to show for their No. 1 overall pick.

Is Megdal trying to help the league or weaken it? The purpose of the draft is to help strengthen the weaker teams. We might have to close the door on that rule if it gets abused.

Quote:
A source familiar with Plum's thinking indicated that there's every possibility that could happen should San Antonio keep Plum.

Drama! This is why I hate when people won't give their sources. It's hard to judge if he's full of it or not.

Quote:
Should the Stars decide to deal Plum, the Sky would happily deal Coates to get her.

I fail to see how Plum fits better in CHI than SAN. Is Plum going to start over Cappie or Sloot? I highly doubt it.

Quote:
In yet another way, Plum is like nothing that's come before her.

She's not all that to be considering sitting out. She wants to start out her career with the diva label after acting so humble during her senior year? Not a good move, imo.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
lynxmania

PostPosted: 04/19/17 2:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Where is the article stating that Coates, Gray, Coffey, Walker-Kimbrough, Sykes, Wiese, Jones, and McCall are considering sitting out? I mean they haven't signed contracts like Plum according to the .com. Rolling Eyes

toad455

PostPosted: 04/19/17 2:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Plum to Chicago is probably one of the worst teams she could be traded to in terms of getting minutes.

bcdawg04

PostPosted: 04/19/17 2:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sigur3 wrote:
Don't click on this. It doesn't deserve it.

I agree. So much garbage and pure speculation here. The only part about Plum in the article that I believe is where it talks about her knowing all the names of the reporters, including the East Coast-based ones. She is known for that.

Maybe San Antonio doesn't want her--I have no idea. But I have no doubt that they value her if they think she is worth 3 first round draft picks. I've assumed that she hasn't signed yet because the Stars want her physically in town for it. They will want her in front of the local media and possibly the fans.

I'm not going to tell you that I know what Plum is thinking, and I surely don't know what Riley or VJ want for San Antonio, but I just can't take this article seriously. Anyone who has watched Plum mature over the past 3 and a half years into the player, teammate, and person that she is now wouldn't take this article seriously either.

RavenDog

PostPosted: 04/19/17 2:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
Plum to Chicago is probably one of the worst teams she could be traded to in terms of getting minutes.

She would like Seattle, and rightfully so, but Seattle has nothing to offer that I would want, assuming Loyd and Stewart are both off the table.

LA would be her second choice, I am guessing.

Shades

PostPosted: 04/19/17 2:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

RavenDog wrote:
toad455 wrote:

She would like Seattle, and rightfully so, but Seattle has nothing to offer that I would want, assuming Loyd and Stewart are both off the table.

LA would be her second choice, I am guessing.

I would have hopped on that rumored #6 & 2018 first round pick if VJ "doesn't believe in Plum."

Clark & SEA's 2018 first round pick for Plum? Not enough?

Clark & SEA's 2018 first and second round picks for Plum? Come on now. Plum hasn't played a minute in the WNBA, and she's already demanding of a franchise player price?

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Richyyy

PostPosted: 04/19/17 2:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'd like to think even Megdal wouldn't make something like this up out of thin air. Hopefully he has at least one source suggesting some of these things to him from within the League. Or, quite possibly, is acting as Plum's agent's mouthpiece, trying to put pressure on the Stars to get a deal done by suggesting sitting out the year is an option.

I could certainly understand Plum not being thrilled about going to a team who were clearly shopping her all over the place before the draft. And the shopping itself illustrated San Antonio weren't her biggest fans. But if something as drastic as sitting out to re-enter the draft was really being considered, planning on going to San Antonio for publicity appearances would seem strange. Why would you do that if you have no intention of ever playing for their team?

And yes, Chicago aren't a great fit at all. That seems like it would be a precursor to another trade, either of Plum or others.

PostPosted: 04/19/17 3:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Langhorne and KML for Plum -->yes
Clark and our first round pick --> nope

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
WNBA 09

PostPosted: 04/19/17 3:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Whos to say SAN wont be in the lottery again next season ? Most Likely so re-entering seems dumber and dumber by the hour .

PostPosted: 04/19/17 3:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Michelle89 wrote:

agreed. Stars get their 3 point shooter with KML and a starting PF with Langhorne.

zune69

PostPosted: 04/19/17 3:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

For the last 6 months i've been screaming that the Plum/san antonio pairing made no sense.Looks like I was right all along.

zune69

PostPosted: 04/19/17 3:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
Michelle89 wrote:

agreed. Stars get their 3 point shooter with KML and a starting PF with Langhorne.

This trade makes no sense at all......why would the stars trade a #1 pick for a 30 year old 12p/6r non defensive post,and a poor defensive shooting guard ?

RavenDog

PostPosted: 04/19/17 3:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Michelle89 wrote:

I'd like to see Seattle get Plum for the sake of Plum, Seattle and the WNBA. To me, she's the second coming of Sue Bird. But there's nothing in Seattle I'd be interested in getting from Seattle. Dan Hughes already gave you Stewart and Clark! Razz

Last edited by RavenDog on 04/19/17 3:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
Randy

PostPosted: 04/19/17 3:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

3 No. 1 picks in a row for Seattle seems a big unfair, especially with when the trade is so one sided.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: