RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Destiny Slocum

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
myrtle

PostPosted: 10/20/17 3:26 pm    ::: Destiny Slocum Reply Reply with quote

I'm hearing she will play at OSU this year without having to sit out...and this article from the OSU website makes it seem that way too:

Quote:
Freshman Aleah Goodman and sophomore Destiny Slocum join the OSU guards as newcomers this season. Goodman led La Salle to an Oregon State title last season, while Slocum earned National Freshman of the Year honors at Maryland last season, before transferring to Oregon State.

http://www.osubeavers.com/news/2017/10/4/womens-basketball-oregon-state-opens-2017-18-practice.aspx?path=wbball

Anyone know for sure? If so, it's definitely HUGE for OSU.

Also Scott Rueck just signed a TEN year extension.

- Amanda Gorman
WNBA 09

PostPosted: 10/20/17 3:30 pm    ::: Re: Destiny Slocum Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
I'm hearing she will play at OSU this year without having to sit out...and this article from the OSU website makes it seem that way too:

Quote:
Freshman Aleah Goodman and sophomore Destiny Slocum join the OSU guards as newcomers this season. Goodman led La Salle to an Oregon State title last season, while Slocum earned National Freshman of the Year honors at Maryland last season, before transferring to Oregon State.

http://www.osubeavers.com/news/2017/10/4/womens-basketball-oregon-state-opens-2017-18-practice.aspx?path=wbball

This is just getting ridiculous ..first Shepard , Then Tea' Now Destiny...This really is just going to drive the want to transfer even more now. Especially knowing they can most likely play the following year.

PostPosted: 10/20/17 4:13 pm    ::: Re: Destiny Slocum Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:

Quote:

Where did you hear that, myrtle? The part you quoted is the only place they talk about Slocum. She is a newcomer.... to practice. It's an article about the first day of practice.

Quote:
The Oregon State women's basketball team returned to the court Wednesday, as the Beavers hosted their first practice of the 2017-18 season.

So I don't know if people are misinterpreting information or if she legit doesn't have to sit. If Slocum and Shepard don't have to sit, they might as well remove the requirement to sit for all players.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Shades

PostPosted: 10/20/17 4:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This comes from an article only two weeks old.

Quote:
Freshmen Aleah Goodman (guard) and Taya Corosdale (forward) are newcomers, along with transfers Joanna Grymek (junior center) and Destiny Slocum, a guard who must sit out this season after leaving Maryland following last season. Slocum was the Big Ten freshman of the year.

http://www.gazettetimes.com/sports/beavers-sports/basketball/osu-women-s-basketball-beavers-excited-for-new-challenge/article_ddea2445-b6b8-5784-b8bb-d8794f0d9f6e.html

myrtle

PostPosted: 10/20/17 4:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yeah, I said I don't really know for sure but heard it in a couple of places. One is on a Stanford website and the guy didn't say where he heard it so it's all second hand.

The other thing is that I thought a month ago, under her roster bio it specifically said "2017-18 - will sit out due to ncaa transfer rules". But now that part is not there.

- Amanda Gorman
Nixtreefan

PostPosted: 10/21/17 3:33 pm    ::: Re: Destiny Slocum Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
myrtle wrote:

Quote:

Where did you hear that, myrtle? The part you quoted is the only place they talk about Slocum. She is a newcomer.... to practice. It's an article about the first day of practice.

Quote:
The Oregon State women's basketball team returned to the court Wednesday, as the Beavers hosted their first practice of the 2017-18 season.

So I don't know if people are misinterpreting information or if she legit doesn't have to sit. If Slocum and Shepard don't have to sit, they might as well remove the requirement to sit for all players.

THIS whats good for the goose...

summertime blues

PostPosted: 10/22/17 8:32 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Meanwhile, at JMU, Debra Ferguson, who transferred from UVA last year, STILL has to sit until January, and Jackie Benitez, who transferred from Siena, STILL has to sit out this year. I guess you have to be high profile and transfer to a P5 school to get a waiver. /s

PostPosted: 10/22/17 2:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
Meanwhile, at JMU, Debra Ferguson, who transferred from UVA last year, STILL has to sit until January, and Jackie Benitez, who transferred from Siena, STILL has to sit out this year. I guess you have to be high profile and transfer to a P5 school to get a waiver. /s

we still don't know what is true or what is rumor...

- Amanda Gorman
bballjunkie

PostPosted: 10/23/17 11:22 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

What is going on with the NCAA being so wishy washy. They allow some but not others and it doesn't seem to be a rules issue, more of a who complains issue.

Fighting Artichoke

PostPosted: 10/23/17 3:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballjunkie wrote:
What is going on with the NCAA being so wishy washy. They allow some but not others and it doesn't seem to be a rules issue, more of a who complains issue.

By 'complain', do you mean 'petition'? Honestly don't know what you mean. If you actually meant complain, which programs have been complaining and how do you know that?

Shades

PostPosted: 10/24/17 1:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This should crush myrtle's rumor once and for all.

Quote:
Oregon State has one other important squad member, though she'll sit out the season.

Destiny Slocum, a native of Meridian, Idaho, is a transfer from Maryland, where she was starting point guard on a team that went 32-3 and lost to Oregon in the Sweet Sixteen. The 5-7 sophomore was the WCBA National Freshman of the Year and Big Ten Freshman of the Year, averaging 11.5 points and 3.0 assists while shooting .405 from the field and .374 from 3-point range.

Slocum, who was rated as the nation's No. 4 recruit when she signed with Maryland, will practice and travel with the Beavers all season and will have three years of eligibility, beginning with the 2018-19 campaign.

"Destiny has a presence," Rueck says. "She has a spirit to her that elevates the gym. She's a winner. She just oozes confidence. She's already part of the family. It feels like she's been here a long time. She has an ability to inspire her teammates. This season, she's here to help everybody and be the best practice player she can be, while learning a lot about our system.

"Destiny is a consummate point guard. The thing I love the most is that her mind is one step ahead all the time. She's like a coach on the floor."

http://portlandtribune.com/pt/12-sports/376260-261292-rebuild-mode-for-osu-women-maybe

summertime blues

PostPosted: 10/25/17 11:21 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It may be they're "letting" (or making) her sit out the season because they have enough already. Oregon looks like a Final Four contender, on paper at least. Some of the other schools who are requesting waivers for players don't, exactly. Rolling Eyes So there's that.

JMU could definitely use Deb Ferguson on the front line, especially since Amber Porter was kicked off the team. Her height and general size, plus her experience, make her invaluable...but January's not that far off and she'll be most valuable in conference play. And we can always use another volume shooter, but next year we'll have both Jackie Benitez and the new kid, Eleanore Marciszewski (boy, I can't type that fast!) as well as Smalls and Barrier, and who knows how this pair of freshmen, Harris and Ballard, will pan out...so no real need to petition the NCAA for waivers. Still, it does seem like the P5 teams get an inordinate number of them.....

PostPosted: 10/25/17 1:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
It may be they're "letting" (or making) her sit out the season because they have enough already. Oregon looks like a Final Four contender, on paper at least. Some of the other schools who are requesting waivers for players don't, exactly. Rolling Eyes So there's that.

JMU could definitely use Deb Ferguson on the front line, especially since Amber Porter was kicked off the team. Her height and general size, plus her experience, make her invaluable...but January's not that far off and she'll be most valuable in conference play. And we can always use another volume shooter, but next year we'll have both Jackie Benitez and the new kid, Eleanore Marciszewski (boy, I can't type that fast!) as well as Smalls and Barrier, and who knows how this pair of freshmen, Harris and Ballard, will pan out...so no real need to petition the NCAA for waivers. Still, it does seem like the P5 teams get an inordinate number of them.....

I didn’t realize that the Beavers looked like a final four team on paper. I’m pretty sure that even if Rebell makes it walk like a duck, quack like a duck, it isn’t a duck. Slocum isn’t on Kelly Graves team.

FollowtheCardinalRule

PostPosted: 10/25/17 1:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:

I didn’t realize that the Beavers looked like a final four team on paper. I’m pretty sure that even if Rebell makes it walk like a duck, quack like a duck, it isn’t a duck. Slocum isn’t on Kelly Graves team.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 10/25/17 2:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

My bad. OSU looks decent but awfully skimpy......

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: