RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

2017 USA U16s
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
awhom111

PostPosted: 04/17/17 8:45 pm    ::: 2017 USA U16s Reply Reply with quote

No surprise for the new cycle as we now have completely new coaches:
https://www.usab.com/news-events/news/2017/04/wu16-coaches.aspx

Interesting to have so many college coaches involved.

It looks like the tryout will be the same format with the participating players to be named later.
awhom111

PostPosted: 04/25/17 9:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Invitees have been announced:
https://www.usab.com/news-events/news/2017/04/wu16-invitees.aspx
Roster:
https://www.usab.com/womens/u16/roster.aspx
awhom111

PostPosted: 05/22/17 8:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Full tryout roster has been announced:
https://www.usab.com/news-events/news/2017/05/wu16-trials-complete-roster.aspx
https://www.usab.com/basketball/media/pdfs/2017/2017-rosters/17-wu16-trials-roster-all---alphapdf.aspx

Canada also has their tryout roster:
http://www.basketball.ca/en/news-article/19-athletes-invited-to-attend-u16-womens-national-team-tryouts
awhom111

PostPosted: 05/27/17 11:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

There was a midday cut to 88 and then a later one to 64. They appear to not be providing any write-ups about it, so I guess you can just look at the latest roster here:
awhom111

PostPosted: 05/28/17 12:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The roster is now down to 37. It sounds like they will not make the cut down to 12 until some time after the tryouts.
myrtle

PostPosted: 05/28/17 9:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

awhom111 wrote:
The roster is now down to 37. It sounds like they will not make the cut down to 12 until some time after the tryouts.

all I see on the roster page is the coaches.

- Amanda Gorman
ClayK

PostPosted: 05/29/17 8:09 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The team will be announced this morning -- at 8:30 Mountain time.

USAB will tweet out the team ...

PostPosted: 05/29/17 11:07 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:

How did Nyah Green not make the team? This is always bs surrounding this u16 team . She is a 6'1 scorer at all 3 level. Good defender. Plays at high level high school /high level aau /work on craft. She plays multiple position.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 05/29/17 11:39 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

allenleavell wrote:
ClayK wrote:

How did Nyah Green not make the team? This is always bs surrounding this u16 team . She is a 6'1 scorer at all 3 level. Good defender. Plays at high level high school /high level aau /work on craft. She plays multiple position.

Because it's subjective decisions by someone who is not you, and there is always someone who doesn't make the team who you (or I) thinks should have. That's why. Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: 05/29/17 11:45 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
awhom111 wrote:

all I see on the roster page is the coaches.

Apparently I should check the links before I was posting them, because they did have interim files for each of their cut-downs.

The 18 player roster should be here now:

Here is the accompanying article:
https://www.usab.com/news-events/news/2017/05/wu16-finalists.aspx
linkster

PostPosted: 05/29/17 2:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

A question. This team will play in the FIBA America tournament this summer. Will there be a FIBA world U16 championship next summer and if so, won't many of these players be ineligible due to their age in 2018?

sammieee

PostPosted: 05/29/17 2:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:
A question. This team will play in the FIBA America tournament this summer. Will there be a FIBA world U16 championship next summer and if so, won't many of these players be ineligible due to their age in 2018?

U16 Fiba America this summer, U17 Worlds next summer.

allenleavell

PostPosted: 05/29/17 3:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
allenleavell wrote:
ClayK wrote:

Because it's subjective decisions by someone who is not you, and there is always someone who doesn't make the team who you (or I) thinks should have. That's why. Rolling Eyes

Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes You are right, I guess I got in my feeling.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 05/29/17 4:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

allenleavell wrote:
summertime blues wrote:
allenleavell wrote:
ClayK wrote:

Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes You are right, I guess I got in my feeling.

Yeah, I know. We all have our favorites and we all get disappointed sometimes and just can't figure out why they did it. Smile

PostPosted: 05/30/17 9:20 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I was very surprised Green didn't make the final 18. I thought she was a lock for the final 12, really.

If anyone has any questions about any other players at the Trials, now would be the time to ask before my rapidly decaying mental faculties lose touch with the event ...

PostPosted: 05/30/17 1:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sammieee wrote:
linkster wrote:

U16 Fiba America this summer, U17 Worlds next summer.

Thanks. I looked it up and The same thing happened last year when the U18 team competed in the FIBA America's. They held a new tryout this year for the U19 team so I assume next year there will be another round of tryouts for the U17 world championships.

Last edited by linkster on 06/01/17 12:47 am; edited 1 time in total
Ladyvol777

PostPosted: 05/30/17 2:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
I was very surprised Green didn't make the final 18. I thought she was a lock for the final 12, really.

If anyone has any questions about any other players at the Trials, now would be the time to ask before my rapidly decaying mental faculties lose touch with the event ...

How about Treasure Hunt, I have watch her a lot and thought she would make it.

#Occasionalwnbafan

PostPosted: 05/30/17 6:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:

Any thoughts on Cameron Brink, is she the next Stewart?

Also any thoughts on Katelyn Levings, is she anything like Brink? Do you think she'll be an impact college player ? Or more of a mid major kid?
Phil

PostPosted: 05/30/17 7:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Final roster

awhom111

PostPosted: 05/30/17 11:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Canada named their team:
http://www.basketball.ca/en/news-article/u16-womens-national-team-announces-fiba-americas-roster-1

Laeticia Amihere has been with the senior team, so they did not name her here, which means the United States should have no trouble regardless of the usual selection controversies. We will have to see how some of the teams around the world play this summer before figuring out possible trouble spots next year.
ClayK

PostPosted: 05/31/17 9:45 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ladyvol777 wrote:
ClayK wrote:

How about Treasure Hunt, I have watch her a lot and thought she would make it.

She looked OK, but lacked the quickness of the ones who made it. She can shoot pretty well, but really didn't do anything else that stood out.

PostPosted: 05/31/17 9:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

#Occasionalwnbafan wrote:
ClayK wrote:

Also any thoughts on Katelyn Levings, is she anything like Brink? Do you think she'll be an impact college player ? Or more of a mid major kid?

I confess I am biased towards Brink, who I saw when we played her high school team last year. I think she is going to be a great player, but she's different than Stewart. First, she's 6-4 and slender, and that's an issue for her right now, but she told me she not only likes contact, she loves it, and I believe her. If that continues, she will be an elite player.

Her biggest strength, skill-wise, is shot-blocking. She has the knack, she's tall, long and jumps well, and she blocked/altered many shots during the trials.

She is also exceptionally athletic for her size, and a good passer and dribbler.

She tended to kick the ball back out to the wing after an entry pass a little too quickly, I thought, but she is just a freshman in high school.

I think she's going to be a star.

Katelyn Levings did not make an impression on me, really. She was pretty good but didn't really grab my attention. That said, she was effective at times, and clearly should be a solid Power 5 player.

PostPosted: 05/31/17 11:29 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

http://www.espn.com/espnw/sports/article/19497189/no-1-prospects-samantha-brunelle-kylee-watson-azzi-fudd-impress-usa-basketball-u16-trials

Quote:
Azzi Fudd is one of the most exciting prospects in the 2021 class. Maybe any class.

The most anticipated young prospect in recent memory, here's what you need to know about Fudd: She has the "it" factor in her game. Twelve players from the 2021 class attended trials; one remains.

ClayK

PostPosted: 05/31/17 12:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

stever wrote:
http://www.espn.com/espnw/sports/article/19497189/no-1-prospects-samantha-brunelle-kylee-watson-azzi-fudd-impress-usa-basketball-u16-trials

Quote:
Azzi Fudd is one of the most exciting prospects in the 2021 class. Maybe any class.

The most anticipated young prospect in recent memory, here's what you need to know about Fudd: She has the "it" factor in her game. Twelve players from the 2021 class attended trials; one remains.

Fudd is the real deal and probably will start at point (she made the final 12).

Cameron Brink was cut, a huge surprise to me, and no California girls made the team either.

In fact, no players west of the Rockies are in the final 12.

PostPosted: 05/31/17 12:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
#Occasionalwnbafan wrote:
ClayK wrote:

I confess I am biased towards Brink, who I saw when we played her high school team last year. I think she is going to be a great player, but she's different than Stewart. First, she's 6-4 and slender, and that's an issue for her right now, but she told me she not only likes contact, she loves it, and I believe her. If that continues, she will be an elite player.

Her biggest strength, skill-wise, is shot-blocking. She has the knack, she's tall, long and jumps well, and she blocked/altered many shots during the trials.

She is also exceptionally athletic for her size, and a good passer and dribbler.

She tended to kick the ball back out to the wing after an entry pass a little too quickly, I thought, but she is just a freshman in high school.

I think she's going to be a star.

Katelyn Levings did not make an impression on me, really. She was pretty good but didn't really grab my attention. That said, she was effective at times, and clearly should be a solid Power 5 player.

I thanks for the insight Clay, I hope Levings will stay home and play for Oklahoma, tall forwards with her skill set don't come around often. I was surprised Brink didn't make the final team, I think she'll be an impact player.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: