RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

2017-2018 Way Too Early Top-25
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ucbart

PostPosted: 04/17/17 9:18 am    ::: 2017-2018 Way Too Early Top-25 Reply Reply with quote

http://www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/story/_/id/19173331/connecticut-huskies-back-top-way-too-early-top-25-2017-18

A few observations. Ohio State is way too high. Mississippi State is too low, as is UCLA.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 04/17/17 9:56 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Why do they even DO this before the new kids arrive and settle in? ~SMDH~ Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: 04/17/17 9:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
Why do they even DO this before the new kids arrive and settle in? ~SMDH~ Rolling Eyes

Doesn't everyone complain that WBB doesn't get enough coverage? Just enjoy it....

Jlcarter

PostPosted: 04/17/17 10:37 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Some of these rankings Laughing Laughing

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 04/17/17 10:40 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:
summertime blues wrote:

Doesn't everyone complain that WBB doesn't get enough coverage? Just enjoy it....

X____________________________

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 04/17/17 11:46 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yeah, but even if we ignore that some of the rankings are just silly, you'd like to see them at least try to get basic facts complete and correct.

Is this a "well at least they're writing something about WCBB," or "another example that ESPN doesn't give a damn about WCBB"?

mzonefan

PostPosted: 04/17/17 12:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Michigan at #21 feels good to me, but PG is a huge problem unless KBA finds someone this late period.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 04/17/17 12:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
Yeah, but even if we ignore that some of the rankings are just silly, you'd like to see them at least try to get basic facts complete and correct.

Is this a "well at least they're writing something about WCBB," or "another example that ESPN doesn't give a damn about WCBB"?

x____________

Finding myself in agreement with Art for once Shocked

PostPosted: 04/17/17 1:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mzonefan wrote:
Michigan at #21 feels good to me, but PG is a huge problem unless KBA finds someone this late period.

This article makes it seem like Kysre is coming back but isn't she transferring?

ucbart

PostPosted: 04/17/17 2:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:

Charlie is a journalist and clearly a WCBB expert. Maybe this is his honest opinion.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 04/17/17 2:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:

Charlie is a journalist and clearly a WCBB expert. Maybe this is his honest opinion.

He's not a WCBB "expert". Never has been. That the problem. They need something for him to do when he's not crunching bracketology numbers, so he plays "expert".

summertime blues

PostPosted: 04/17/17 5:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:

He's not an expert, but he plays one on TV.

PostPosted: 04/17/17 6:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ESPN wcbb coverage is primarily concerned with how many hits they can generate on their website. Creme is just as interested in being provocative than in making insightful predictions. So every year the LV's, based on their perennial talent are picked to go far. Why? Because even though they have become the poster child of under performance they still have a huge following nationwide. But if Tenn teaches me anything it's that predicting a team's prospects based on talent alone is foolish.

mzonefan

PostPosted: 04/17/17 9:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dinkytown wrote:
mzonefan wrote:

This article makes it seem like Kysre is coming back but isn't she transferring?

Obviously he was just looking at stats and hadn't followed the WNIT run without her. The team was better for it.

ridor

PostPosted: 04/18/17 2:46 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Also considered Virginia. That surprised the **** out of me.

patsweetpat

PostPosted: 04/18/17 11:06 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Wow, no Oregon State at all. Not even as "Also Considered". They're the #4 RPI team in the country at this moment in time (#8 in Massey, #14 in Sagarin), but they merit nary a mention for the season to come.

That strikes me as one heck of an oversight.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 04/18/17 11:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

patsweetpat wrote:
Wow, no Oregon State at all. Not even as "Also Considered". They're the #4 RPI team in the country at this moment in time (#8 in Massey, #14 in Sagarin), but they merit nary a mention for the season to come.

Blame Sabrina and those highly talented Ducks , there most likely going to own the Pac 12 for the next few years running unless Stanford does what they normally do . ORst had there glory years they might have come to an end.

PostPosted: 04/18/17 2:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:

Without looking, what "basic facts" did Creme get wrong?

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 04/18/17 2:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:

Without looking, what "basic facts" did Creme get wrong?

I'm not about to detail them team by team, but just using Notre Dame as an example, how do you contemplate their prospects for next year without mentioning Lilli Thompson's transfer from Stanford, or the arrival of two freshmen bigs (particularly in light of the departure of Boley (acknowledged) and Patberg (not mentioned) which makes the additions particularly critical). And the statement "Mychal Johnson looks like the heir apparent [to Lindsay Allen]" is unlikely at best. You can't possibly get Notre Dame to #5 without considering the new players, and frankly with the uncertainty surrounding Turner, I'm not sure you can get them to five at this stage at all.

There are similar errors and oversights elsewhere. Where you rank teams is a matter of opinion (although I think some of those opinions are pretty unrealistic), but having misstatements or glaring omissions as the basis for your opinion is just sloppy.

Just as an aside, I think his Texas write up may be the worst. Basically everything he wrote about was also true for Texas this year, and yet they weren't even close to being #4. I'm looking for the explanation of what transformation is supposed to happen to make all of their weaknesses vanish over the summer.

scfastpitch

PostPosted: 04/18/17 3:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

In the South Carolina section he said "Alaina Coates is also gone, which means Staley has to replace three of her top three scorers. " Huh? I'm sure he meant to say three of her top 4 (since Aja Wilson is returning) . Just poor editing , I guess .

Phil

PostPosted: 04/18/17 3:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It looks like a minor editorial issue with an extraneous word. Had he said "Staley has to replace three of her top scorers." it would be fine. Somehow, an extra "three" slipped in.

Phil

PostPosted: 04/18/17 4:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

patsweetpat wrote:

I think they will drop a fair bit post Wiese, but not likely to be out of top 25. So I agree.

Ay Mate

PostPosted: 04/18/17 4:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ridor wrote:

Does "****" stand for hearing aid?

Queenie

PostPosted: 04/18/17 10:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ay Mate wrote:
ridor wrote:

Does "****" stand for hearing aid?

Dude. Uncalled for. Some people don't like to swear on message boards, and that's their prerogative.

(now with spelling variations)
ridor

PostPosted: 04/18/17 10:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie, this is 2nd straight harassment that Ay Mate has on me.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: