RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Breanna Stewart's 2023 team?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Which team does Breanna Stewart sign with in free agency?
Seattle
49%
 49%  [ 27 ]
New York
40%
 40%  [ 22 ]
Another team (which one?)
7%
 7%  [ 4 ]
None; she sits out the 2023 season
3%
 3%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 55

Stormeo

PostPosted: 01/04/23 5:02 pm    ::: Breanna Stewart's 2023 team? Reply Reply with quote

Well, what's your prediction? This is the top free agent of this year.* What she does impacts the entire rest of the league. Whatever she chooses, hopefully she does so in a timely manner.

Other questions you're more than welcome to answer, beyond the poll question:

—If you're gonna vote "Another team", like seriously, you must explain lol
—How many years she signs for
—If she gets to another team via signing for the regular max or requesting a sign-and-trade for the supermax
—What whatever roster you think she goes to looks like around her
—How many years/seasons you think she sits out for if she sits out 2023

*barring Jewell Loyd being moved off the Storm roster before the end-of-day Jan. 20 QO/core designation deadline, which might I add is when this poll will expire, in which the Storm would be free to core her

johnjohnW

PostPosted: 01/04/23 5:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

God bless Stewie for giving us some intrigue leading up to the free agency period.

That being said, I think she stays in Seattle and don't think she's seriously even considering leaving. Seattle's moves to strengthen their roster will be telling.

pilight

PostPosted: 01/04/23 6:34 pm    ::: Re: Breanna Stewart's 2023 team? Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:

I voted "Another team" because I am an impossible homer

PostPosted: 01/04/23 6:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo--

At this crucial moment, how could you not give us the option to vote for Breanna Stewart for speaker of the House of Representatives? The speaker does NOT have to be an elected member. OK, I feel pretty sure she's not a Republican. But she's terrific! Smile

PostPosted: 01/04/23 6:36 pm    ::: Re: Breanna Stewart's 2023 team? Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Stormeo wrote:

You couldn't be serious in a poll like this, just this one time, just for me? 😩😩😩

Stormeo

PostPosted: 01/04/23 6:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I do consider that her priorities in life now simply may be different. Her own family is still very young, and while this isn't the first free agency period where she has to consider them, dynamics change over time. Both her daughter and her marriage are nearly a year & a half old now, and it sure is easier to travel from New York City to either Spain or North Syracuse in order to see family than it is from Seattle (or vice versa).

And, she won't have a chance to just leave for nothing – in which the team that signs her wouldn't have to weaken themselves by having to trade for her – for another three years as things stand now.

And beyond all that, maybe she's just ready for a change of scenery. There's gonna be change in Seattle anyway with Birdy now retired. Stewie herself has already led Seattle to the mountaintop twice. The idea/challenge of leading her "hometown" team Liberty to their first title could be appealing to her.

I voted Seattle – and I think she's more likely to sit out in 2024 than 2023 so long as it doesn't hurt her standing with Team USA (which will be its own interesting question next year) – but I feel like I tend to be wrong about these things. Good news for Liberty fans perhaps. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Last edited by Stormeo on 01/09/23 5:20 am; edited 1 time in total
pilight

PostPosted: 01/04/23 6:54 pm    ::: Re: Breanna Stewart's 2023 team? Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
pilight wrote:
Stormeo wrote:

You couldn't be serious in a poll like this, just this one time, just for me? 😩😩😩

The result would have been the same. I'm just saving everyone from having to read my half justifications, junk stats, and wild speculation. Most people on the board will pick their own team then find straws to clutch as an explanation. I just forgo the prevarication.

PostPosted: 01/05/23 10:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Los Angeles 😈💜💛

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 01/05/23 12:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I vote she ends up the "Brand Ambassador" wearing polyester dresses again. Laughing Laughing

PostPosted: 01/06/23 9:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

it’s lookin' real 50-50 judging by the poll

Spark4Life wrote:
Los Angeles

i do find LA a clear albeit distant 3rd here

RavenDog

PostPosted: 01/07/23 1:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

My guess is Seattle and maybe NY, but knowing the free-spirited Stewie, it wouldn't surprise me if she decided to go to Phoenix to win Taurasi a final W Championship, join up with her friend Griner and maybe even talk Sue Bird into coming back for another year of play. Even SDS might consider showing up after giving birth, a new head coach and a tolerance pact with DT.

adamj95

PostPosted: 01/07/23 6:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm guessing Seattle but going close to home with NY wouldn't surprise me. Bird retiring and Seattle having to "reload" might prompt her to move on.

Unless she wants to join the Lynx and start a new Dynasty. I'd be ok with that. Wink

PostPosted: 01/07/23 11:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If Breanna Stewart actually wants to play in New York and suit up for multiple full seasons with the Liberty, I'm not going to tell her no.

If, however, she wants to be in New York because it's closer to home and she considers her true primary team to be whoever's paying her in Europe, and if she's going to treat the Liberty like a side hustle she can drop if she doesn't like her hours... nah. We have been through this bullshit before with Pondexter. I think by the time that adventure was over, people were trying to see if polyester burned in a trash can.

(now with spelling variations)
undersized_post

PostPosted: 01/08/23 9:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
We have been through this bullshit before with Pondexter. I think by the time that adventure was over, people were trying to see if polyester burned in a trash can.

Laughing Laughing Laughing

PostPosted: 01/08/23 6:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
If Breanna Stewart actually wants to play in New York and suit up for multiple full seasons with the Liberty, I'm not going to tell her no.

If, however, she wants to be in New York because it's closer to home and she considers her true primary team to be whoever's paying her in Europe, and if she's going to treat the Liberty like a side hustle she can drop if she doesn't like her hours... nah. We have been through this bullshit before with Pondexter. I think by the time that adventure was over, people were trying to see if polyester burned in a trash can.

Interesting time to bring up the economics of overseas basketball with her joining Fenerbahce this week and debuting to a crowd of under 500 where tickets for everything except for the floor seats cost around $3.50 per game or $80 for a season ticket. Meanwhile, the cheapest per game season ticket price in Seattle is $30 and in New York, it is $25. Trying to explain how overseas basketball works is a fruitless task.
johnjohnW

PostPosted: 01/08/23 7:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

awhom111 wrote:
Queenie wrote:

Interesting time to bring up the economics of overseas basketball with her joining Fenerbahce this week and debuting to a crowd of under 500 where tickets for everything except for the floor seats cost around $3.50 per game or $80 for a season ticket. Meanwhile, the cheapest per game season ticket price in Seattle is $30 and in New York, it is $25. Trying to explain how overseas basketball works is a fruitless task.

Money laundering? *shrug*

Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 01/08/23 7:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'd love to see Breanna Stewart come to New York. I suspect she won't, but I hope she does. If I were Jonathan Kolb, Sandy Brondello, Clara Wu Tsai, or Joe Tsai, I would not insist that Stewart take a loyalty oath. I'd roll out the red carpet!!!

PostPosted: 01/08/23 9:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

all i know is, oligarchies suck ass

J-Spoon

PostPosted: 01/08/23 10:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bob Lamm wrote:
I'd love to see Breanna Stewart come to New York. I suspect she won't, but I hope she does. If I were Jonathan Kolb, Sandy Brondello, Clara Wu Tsai, or Joe Tsai, I would not insist that Stewart take a loyalty oath. I'd roll out the red carpet!!!

I am torn part of me like NY natural development I don’t think we have to go out and get a top 5 player to compete I think if we get Han Xu , Johannes , one if not both of Kone or Salabby to show up and everyone is healthy I think we will be right there

Of course adding Stewart makes us a contender

But as. Thought experiment if Stewart want to come but also want the super max and therefor wanted a sign and trade what should Ny be willing to give up

High end Ionescu and # 6 or Howard , Laney and #6 medium deal Howard , # 6 and our 23 first round pick or try to low ball (rites to Johannes, Sabally, Allen, Dolson and pick 6) which seems impossible with a player of Stewart’s caliber even if she is orchestrating a trade to a specific team

Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 01/09/23 12:50 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:
I am torn part of me like NY natural development I don’t think we have to go out and get a top 5 player to compete I think if we get Han Xu , Johannes , one if not both of Kone or Salabby to show up and everyone is healthy I think we will be right there

But as. Thought experiment if Stewart want to come but also want the super max and therefor wanted a sign and trade what should Ny be willing to give up

High end Ionescu and # 6 or Howard , Laney and #6 medium deal Howard , # 6 and our 23 first round pick or try to low ball (rites to Johannes, Sabally, Allen, Dolson and pick 6) which seems impossible with a player of Stewart’s caliber even if she is orchestrating a trade to a specific team

Thanks for all these valuable, intriguing comments.

PostPosted: 01/09/23 2:02 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bob Lamm wrote:
J-Spoon wrote:

Thanks for all these valuable, intriguing comments.

I should be careful when I post from my phone it makes my natural poor spelling and bad grammar even badder.

I am going to commit fully and say I hope Stewart stays in Seattle. The Storm still have Loyd, Russell, Gabby, should be able to re-sign Magbegor and will have the money to go after Sloot or consolation prize decent PG who has played with Stewart before Jefferson or a stop gap combination of bringing back Canada, Whitcomb or signing L. Allen and should still have enough to add a couple vet minimums to round out a contender.

or fun out there idea instead of Sloot joining Stewart in Chi, Stewart joins Sloot, Parker and Copper in Chicago 9Could probably work if Sloot, Parker and Stewie take reg. max or slightly less). (Do Parker and Stewart have bad blood because of the Olympic thing back in the day?)

Stormeo

PostPosted: 01/10/23 1:06 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

if you’re the Liberty, you absolutely let Stewart sign for one year at reg max if that’s what she wants – you give up only cap space and maybe your 12th roster spot – though it’s a different story if she wants the supermax but also a single year commitment

but unless the Storm find a way to core Stewie by trading Loyd soon, i’d be a bit surprised if – from Stewie’s pov – the extra $32k a supermax deal would bring in over a reg max deal would be worth weakening the team you’re trying to go to with whatever the return package would be…

unless supermax contracts can unlock a boatload of incentives for the player that a reg max deal can’t – idk enough about that

johnjohnW

PostPosted: 01/10/23 1:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://www.espn.com/wnba/story/_/id/35413934/wnba-free-agency-2023-predictions-biggest-storylines

2 of the 3 pundits think Stewart is headed to NYL.

J-Spoon

PostPosted: 01/11/23 1:12 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NY does look pretty sick if we can just sign Stewie outright

assuming we just stick with our 6 guaranteed contracts (Howard, Laney, Allen, Dolson, Ionescu and Willoughby) that's seven leaving four spots because we have to go with 11 if we give Stewart the max

bring back all three reserved players Johannes, Han Xu and Dangerfield

leaves 1 spot for N. Sabally, Kone or pick #6

also creates a small log jam with the starters guess we could always play big and put Stewie at the SF slot to start. With Laney sliding tot he 3 and Stewart to the 4/5 we'll be able to throw out a bunch of different looks and find decent minutes for Johannes, Allen, Han Xu and Dangerfield when Ionescu goes off ball. Willoughby and whoever gets the 5th post spot between Sabally and Kone will get situational minutes.

Ionescu/Dangerfield
Laney/Johannes/Willoughby
Stewart/Allen
Howard/(Sabally, Kone or #6)
Dolson/Han Xu

kind of sucks for Richards and Onyenwere but they still have a shot if we trade Willoughby for a future asset, decide not to resign Dangerfield or Johannes doesn't show

we can also bring in two of Sabally, Kone or #6 if we trade Willoughby or Han Xu doesn't show

but any version where the core is Ionescu, Laney, Stewart, Howard, Dolson and Allen is already competitive

add in Johannes and Han Xu and that is a contender,

round it out by adding in a back up PG (Dangerfield, L. Allen or pick 6) a wing (Willoughby, Richards, Onyewere, or pick 6) and a back up post (Sabally, Kone, Onyenwere or pick 6) and we are rolling 11 deep. Even if some of our Players don't show we have enough option to have a solid 8-11 on the bench.

I guess I will keep my mind open to Stewart after all.

Michelle89

PostPosted: 01/11/23 5:12 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I really hope that Stewie is staying with the Storm and tbh i think she will.
But if she leaves for New York then i think she rather gives up some super max money to play with Sabrine and Howard for a championship.

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: