RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

2018 WNBA Mock Draft
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18 ... 91, 92, 93  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rock Hard

PostPosted: 10/11/17 11:20 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Watching DD play is the same as watching dazzling fireworks performance at a fourth of July celebration. It beautiful for a few seconds and then the show is over. Laughing
A basketball season is a lot longer than a few seconds.

PostPosted: 10/11/17 12:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If She Wins ROY im sure this entire board will be pro-diamond afterwards with a hint of negativity as usual . She reminds me of a Mini-Lori Ann and how people viewed her for so long upon her first few years in the league.

PostPosted: 10/11/17 12:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
Depending on your point of view, that's just another sign of the arrogance of USA Basketball, or issues with DeShields' attitude and ability to work within a team structure.

I'm not the live all and die all person when it comes to USAB, but that was nicely put. It's not always the most talented players who are a part of USAB, but the ones who work well in a team setting. I'm not sure how Brunson got left out of the fray and Delle Donne is in there, but....

ClayK wrote:
It could be that the professional setting will be perfect for DeShields; it also could be that she will never take full advantage of her talent.

Looks like you have all the bases covered but you're leaning towards thumbs down.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Shades

PostPosted: 10/11/17 1:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PRballer wrote:
Why are folks predicting McGowan will come out early? Has something been published in the media?

If you haven't figured out how to spell her name, you probably haven't been keeping up on her. I don't believe they're predicting that she'll come out early. They're just showing that she is eligible to come out early and predicting whereabouts she'd rank if she should come out early.

PRballer wrote:
She might be a crazy good talent but think the more time to develop in Starkville, the better.

That's probably what will happen, but who knows what she wants. I'm sure Schaefer doesn't want her to leave early. This will be her first year as a full time starter, so will she kill it or come up limp?

It's hard to say when these players even realize they qualify for the draft. A reporter might tip them off at the end of the season and they're caught off guard and not sure what they would do. Kelsey Mitchell's dad was acting like he didn't know she was qualified to enter the draft halfway through her junior season. At this time, I'd say the odds are high she stays 4 years.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 10/11/17 2:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PRballer wrote:
She looks like the tallest player on the floor in that highlight clip. Is it a second tier pro team?

That's the Turkish top division. Erlana Larkins and Alina Iagupova are also on DeShields's team; the imports on the opponents in that clip are Erica Wheeler and Bernice Mosby. It does illustrate that she really is a big wing, which aren't easy to find even before you consider her other athletic gifts.

She's obviously gonna go high in the draft, it's just a question of how high. Players with those kinds of raw materials just don't show up all that often, even when they come with heaps of baggage, and frustrating inconsistency.

PostPosted: 10/11/17 3:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
PRballer wrote:
She looks like the tallest player on the floor in that highlight clip. Is it a second tier pro team?

That's the Turkish top division. Erlana Larkins and Alina Iagupova are also on DeShields's team; the imports on the opponents in that clip are Erica Wheeler and Bernice Mosby. It does illustrate that she really is a big wing, which aren't easy to find even before you consider her other athletic gifts.

She's obviously gonna go high in the draft, it's just a question of how high. Players with those kinds of raw materials just don't show up all that often, even when they come with heaps of baggage, and frustrating inconsistency.

Could not have said it any better . Im betting Top end 1-2 , Low end 4-5 . No way Seattle lets her slip past 5.

PostPosted: 10/11/17 6:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Looking at the draftsite mock, it looks more like wishful thinking that all those kids would come out. Poor Geno would pull out his hair if all his Jrs abandon ship. And I will be surprised if K. Jensen is a first round pick. She gets gaudy numbers in college but if you watch her play, I just don't see it translate. (and I hate to be the bearer of bad news but she's not 6'4") Also I finally see one actually listed shorter than she actually is - Mercedes Russel at 6'0" Laughing

These people are clueless- always have been and most likely always will be. Goes to show, people can make money by declaring themselves while they have little to no knowledge about the subject fields they profess to represent. Rolling Eyes

stever

PostPosted: 10/13/17 9:31 am    ::: Kelsey Mitchell’s experience with USA Basketball Reply Reply with quote

https://www.thelantern.com/2017/10/womens-basketball-ohio-state-guard-kelsey-mitchells-experience-with-usa-basketball-broadened-her-horizons/

Quote:
“When you go and you play on a USA basketball team, you have to play with so many great players, it’s certainly a different role than what you would have here,” McGuff said. “I just think that was really good for her and what it would mean for us this year, and really good for her and what it means for her future as she moves on to play professional basketball next year.”

LibFan25

PostPosted: 10/15/17 8:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

now that SA is relocating to Vegas, i believe they will get the #1 pick.

Vegas: Wilson
Chi Town: Mitchell
Indy: DeShields

Shades

PostPosted: 10/15/17 8:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LibFan25 wrote:

They have the same odds they always had since the end of the season.

ClayK

PostPosted: 10/16/17 9:18 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

1. San Antonio- Aja Wilson
2. Chicago- Azure Stevens
3. Indiana- Kelsey Mitchell
4. Chicago- Gabby Williams
5. Seattle- Diamond Deshields
6. Dallas- Monique Billings
7. Washington- Mercededes Russell
8. Phoenix- Lexie Brown
9. Connecticut- Jordan Canada
10. New York- Jamie Nared
11. Los Angeles- Kia Nurse

Just pulled this upthread for reasons of discussion.

In one way, this is a pretty deep draft, because any one of these 11 -- plus a couple more -- could turn into solid WNBA players. In fact, it seems likely that three or four will.

The problem is that the only two I feel totally confident about are A'ja Wilson and Kelsey Mitchell, though of course, they, like any draftee, could become busts.

The others are gambles, as the positives are balanced by negatives, from Diamond DeShields' attitude to Gabby Williams' height to Jordin Canada's three-point shooting.

So I don't know that trading a proven asset for any pick below No. 2 is a good deal (unless that asset is going to leave anyway) because there's a lot uncertainty as to which of the players will pan out, and which will go the way of Tori Jankowska.

PostPosted: 10/16/17 12:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
LibFan25 wrote:

Never tell me the odds! </hansolo>

In all seriousness, though, it would not surprise me if there were lottery shenanigans in order to get the relocated team off on the right foot. While Tulsa to Dallas seems to have been fairly smooth, I imagine the Detroit to Tulsa debacle still lingers for the W. (though come to think of it, is anyone from that mess still in the league front office?)

Besides, it's Vegas. House always wins. Wink

(now with spelling variations)
LibFan25

PostPosted: 10/16/17 5:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
LibFan25 wrote:

yeah, im not full-blown conspiracy guy but Miss Borders and WNBA will make sure they get that #1 pick

i see alot of trades coming with big Bill in full control mode

PRballer

PostPosted: 10/16/17 5:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This is an experiment, right? It's a blitz of a story (WNBA on the strip, the American sports league(s) goes to Vegas) why not give it a #1 pick and let it go from there?

I say throw the top collegiate pick at this new franchise (Wilson) and see what MGM can do to promote its latest and greatest entertainment venture.

It is worth a shot.

Shades

PostPosted: 10/16/17 5:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LibFan25 wrote:
Shades wrote:
LibFan25 wrote:

yeah, im not full-blown conspiracy guy but Miss Borders and WNBA will make sure they get that #1 pick

Borders is too smart to try to cheat the system. If it leaked out (and almost assuredly it would) the lawsuit would be huge and a threat to the league.

J-Spoon

PostPosted: 10/16/17 6:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I will be shocked if Vegas doesn't get the top pick.

But TBH I would have been shocked if San Antonio didn't get the top pick (but slightly less shocked).

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 10/16/17 6:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:
I will be shocked if Vegas doesn't get the top pick.

But TBH I would have been shocked if San Antonio didn't get the top pick (but slightly less shocked).

Ill be shocked if vegas does not get it either. I think im more happy San Antonio did not Laughing

PostPosted: 10/16/17 6:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

And yet, if Chicago or Indiana end up with #1, I guarantee you someone in a future year will claim that it was a fix for them instead.

PostPosted: 10/16/17 7:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It would be great if Chicago were able to land the #1 pick in the draft for the first time in franchise history. Cool
If anyone does not like Chicago getting the #1 pick they can locate the largest rock they can find and kick it.

PostPosted: 10/16/17 9:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Indiana needs the number one pick worst than Vegas in my opinion, but Vegas needs Wilson. Vegas could afford to get a SF this draft, and draft Turner or Stevens in 2019. Indiana needs a complete overhaul and injection of youth.

PostPosted: 10/16/17 9:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
And yet, if Chicago or Indiana end up with #1, I guarantee you someone in a future year will claim that it was a fix for them instead.

Sure. I've heard people say the 2013 lottery was fixed for Phoenix even though the prevailing wisdom at the time was that it was the worst possible outcome.

PostPosted: 10/17/17 9:09 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So let's think about a conspiracy ...

First, there's a risk/reward involved, and I wonder if the reward (getting A'ja Wilson to the "right" team) is worth any risk. By that I mean, would it be any better for the league (which must administer the conspiracy) to have the first draft pick go to Las Vegas rather than to Chicago?

I think you could make a case that bolstering Chicago's roster would be better for the league in the long run than having Wilson go to Vegas. Chicago is a much, much bigger media market, and needs a boost, while Vegas will be new and shiny regardless of whether Wilson lands there.

And really, is Wilson that much of a difference-maker? She's good, granted, but I don't see her having the impact of a Griner or EDD or Taurasi. Kelsey Mitchell actually might turn out to be the better, more exciting player.

Or not. Wilson, in fact, could be overwhelmed by the strength of WNBA posts, and turn out to be an ordinary player ...

Putting it all together, it seems the case for a conspiracy is pretty weak -- and I'm someone who still believes Patrick Ewing was delivered to the Knicks in the NBA lottery way back when.

PostPosted: 10/17/17 9:24 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think Wilson got a big boost from being the best player on the championship team (which had at least two other first round draft picks). If South Carolina had gotten wrecked in the finals by UConn as they were earlier in the season, we probably wouldn't be hearing about the "A'ja Wilson sweepstakes".

If the WNBA wanted to orchestrate things for the health of the league they wouldn't have let Griner go to Phoenix or Fowles go to Minnesota.

PUmatty

PostPosted: 10/17/17 10:19 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

UK1996 wrote:
Indiana needs the number one pick worst than Vegas in my opinion, but Vegas needs Wilson. Vegas could afford to get a SF this draft, and draft Turner or Stevens in 2019. Indiana needs a complete overhaul and injection of youth.

If Indiana gets the No. 1 pick, I hope they use it on Kelsey Mitchell in stead of Wilson. She's the jewel of the draft class, IMO.

Getting her, and pairing her with Stevens in 2019 is my ultimate dream.

Nixtreefan

PostPosted: 10/17/17 10:19 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ditto to that.

It is a big bad world out there in the W. Size matters. Wilson is about 6'3" not her listed height, she does carry some poundage but she would probably be better losing some as it slows her down. Smaller bigs need to be quicker as they can't bang with the W bigs at 6' 5 +. Guards who can't shoot are a dime a dozen. Tall shooters are the premium these days.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18 ... 91, 92, 93  Next
Page 17 of 93

Jump to: