2018 WNBA Mock Draft
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 56, 57, 58 ... 91, 92, 93  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
blaase22

PostPosted: 02/23/18 1:32 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'd take Scaife over atkins easily.

Shades

PostPosted: 02/23/18 1:36 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It only took Leilani Mitchell about 9 years to get good (2008 draft). If McCarty works hard and sticks with it, maybe she can be the next Ferocious Little Bunny.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
J-Spoon

PostPosted: 02/23/18 2:26 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So Nayo Raincock-Ekunwe is skipping the season to work with Team Canada for the Worlds, does anyone think Nurse might do the same thing?

#Occasionalwnbafan

PostPosted: 02/23/18 8:14 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
ClayK wrote:
Watched Jordin Canada against Oregon, and my concerns about her shooting are gone. Her only issue is size, but that's minor. She's a WNBA point guard ...

This is a one-game assessment, so any chance that if you would have tuned into a game where she didn’t play well, you would have declared her not a WNBA PG?

And since when did size suddenly become a non-issue for the WNBA?

I feel kinda bad for Laimbeer. Here’s somebody who has always loved size in all positions. Now he has the smallest PG in the league... who is arguably banged up because of that lack of size, and he also has a wannabe PG who lacks height and prefers to shoot. Are either of these players in his vision for the future?

I believe Catchings said Wilson can play 2,3, or 4 at the next level, so maybe Bill will start Wilson in his back court Laughing she would give him great size at the 2 guard then he can keep up with the size at every position stuff.
Shades

PostPosted: 02/23/18 10:25 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:
So Nayo Raincock-Ekunwe is skipping the season to work with Team Canada for the Worlds, does anyone think Nurse might do the same thing?

I just made a statement on how it’s rare for your prominent Canadian players to miss whole seasons of the WNBA. Nayo Raincock-Ekunwe said she struggled with the decision to miss the Liberty season, so anybody else is going to struggle surmising why she made that decision. It doesn’t appear to be a requirement to miss the whole season obviously.

She wasn’t drafted to the WNBA, and last year as a 25-26 year old made her first appearance in the WNBA. Maybe she’s not that invested in the WNBA. Maybe she feels the need to show more dedication to Team Canada to lock up a spot on the team. Who knows? So far it’s looking like Canadians who are drafted in the first round of the WNBA are dedicated to the league.

Chicago doesn’t seem worried about Adut Bulgak not showing up. She just signed with them so obviously she wants to show up. With Nurse, I wouldn’t worry about her missing whole seasons. Of course, I’m not going to deny Liberty fans a reason to wring their hands about something, so worry away.
Wink

Shades

PostPosted: 02/23/18 10:25 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
Tyra Buss scores 37 pts on her Senior Day

I forgot to post that she followed up this game with a 36 pt, 5 reb, 7 ast outing against Minnesota, despite Minnesota having 18 steals in that game.

She’s tiny but tough. She’s already honed the fine art of flopping. I’d be very surprised if some team doesn’t draft her. My early bet is Miller.

Last edited by Shades on 02/23/18 10:38 am; edited 3 times in total
ClayK

PostPosted: 02/23/18 10:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Again, is there any indication at all that Vadeeva will play in the WNBA in 2018?

PostPosted: 02/23/18 10:45 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
Again, is there any indication at all that Vadeeva will play in the WNBA in 2018?

It’s the big question we’ve all been wondering this whole time. It’s hard to place her in the draft without knowing more.

With Chicago’s recent signings in the post, it doesn’t appear like they’re prepared to draft a post. Of course, if Wilson falls their way, all bets are off. If that happens, goodbye Bulgak, it’s been real. Thanks for being camp fodder for us.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 02/23/18 1:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:
Looking at your draft Myrtle I have Russell going much higher in mine and yet ironically I'm very meh feeling about her falling to NY at #10.

I do like some of the new names you have in your draft as well.

One note you have Billings in some of your side option brackets but technically if she isn't a side option you have her falling out of the first two rounds, do you see that as a possibility?

Vivians for my team is laughable . Laughing Laughing

PostPosted: 02/23/18 2:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:

Myrtle probably did that for you since you wanted DeShields on your team, but she wasn’t available. Who knows, maybe Vivians will be better.

Have you made up your mind who you want?

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 02/23/18 2:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:

Myrtle probably did that for you since you wanted DeShields on your team, but she wasn’t available. Who knows, maybe Vivians will be better.

Have you made up your mind who you want?

Has not changed , DD Or Russell Or Gabby as a last resort . Those have been my 3 options all off season and theirs a strong possibility one of them is wearing Highlighter and blue come May Laughing Laughing #Highlighter&Blue

PostPosted: 02/23/18 2:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So you confess that you’ve been tearing down Gabby all this time in the hopes that she falls to #6.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 02/23/18 2:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
So you confess that you’ve been tearing down Gabby all this time in the hopes that she falls to #6.

Well yes lol my argument has never been that she is not a good player . I specifically have always stated shes NOT a lottery pick that is all .

PostPosted: 02/23/18 2:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
J-Spoon wrote:

I just made a statement on how it’s rare for your prominent Canadian players to miss whole seasons of the WNBA. Nayo Raincock-Ekunwe said she struggled with the decision to miss the Liberty season, so anybody else is going to struggle surmising why she made that decision. It doesn’t appear to be a requirement to miss the whole season obviously.

She wasn’t drafted to the WNBA, and last year as a 25-26 year old made her first appearance in the WNBA. Maybe she’s not that invested in the WNBA. Maybe she feels the need to show more dedication to Team Canada to lock up a spot on the team. Who knows? So far it’s looking like Canadians who are drafted in the first round of the WNBA are dedicated to the league.

Chicago doesn’t seem worried about Adut Bulgak not showing up. She just signed with them so obviously she wants to show up. With Nurse, I wouldn’t worry about her missing whole seasons. Of course, I’m not going to deny Liberty fans a reason to wring their hands about something, so worry away.
Wink

Not worried. Just curious.

hangtyme24

PostPosted: 02/23/18 8:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

[quote="myrtle"]my current still-too-early thoughts:

1. Las Vegas A’ja Wilson
2. Indiana Diamond DeShields
3. Chicago Kelsey Mitchell
4. Chicago Gabby Williams
5. Seattle Jordin Canada
6. Dallas Victoria Vivians
7. Washington Lexie Brown
8. Phoenix Maria Vadeeva
9. Connecticut Kia Nurse
10. New York Mercedes Russell
11. Los Angeles Shakayla Thomas
12. Minnesota Stephanie Mavunga (Billings?)

As an LA fan I think I'd prefer Ariel Atkinson or Jaime Nared if either is available. Im bias but I think Nared is a great fit in LA

PostPosted: 02/23/18 8:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Could Nared play the 3 in the pros? I could definitely see LA trying to find a successor for Beard/Carson in the long-ish wing category. I can also very easily see that #11 pick failing to make it through training camp.

PostPosted: 02/23/18 9:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
Could Nared play the 3 in the pros? I could definitely see LA trying to find a successor for Beard/Carson in the long-ish wing category. I can also very easily see that #11 pick failing to make it through training camp.

I view Nared as a SF at the next level. There are some college 4's who play more like 3's or at least display traits necessary to play the position -- like quickness and fluidity of movement. They don't primarily camp under the basket and just bang. You see them spend a lot of time on the perimeter both offensively and defensively; they handle the ball a lot, pass well, and can shoot with range. In Nared's case, she's been terrible from 3pt this year, but she was respectable last season. That's really the looming question with Jaime -- what happened to her jump shot? It's the reverse of Vivians, who suddenly became a lot more accurate. As the saying goes, sometimes it just comes down to making shots.

PostPosted: 02/24/18 12:28 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think (the good version of) Nared has the range, skill and handle to play the 3, and the size, rebounding and defense to play the 4. She is the opposite of a tweener, in that she can play both positions. But I also think she needs to be surrounded by better players to shine, I think this year she has faded because she is relied on more to carry and lead the team. Not everyone is designed to be a #1 option, I think she will be better in the pros than she has shown this season, because she will have less pressure to produce, and defenses will not be focusing on her as much. I think she could work very well in LA as a bench 3/4. I still favor her as NY's pick, I also think she would be great in Minn, Washington or Atl.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 02/24/18 1:28 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sounds like in an ideal, everything-goes-perfectly world, Nared's the second coming of DeLisha Milton-Jones.

PostPosted: 02/24/18 9:01 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
Sounds like in an ideal, everything-goes-perfectly world, Nared's the second coming of DeLisha Milton-Jones.

That sounds great.

I can't imagine it happening, but every team would want her if she could be as good as Delisha Milton-Jones.

root_thing

PostPosted: 02/24/18 10:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nared is not as strong as Delisha Milton-Jones. If you watched the Tennessee-Mississippi State game, she got pushed around by Vivians. Back when Jaime was playing well, my analogy was Swin Cash. I don't think Nared is strong enough to play PF in the WNBA. Maybe now and then when a team wants to go small, but I think she'd get killed if she played 4 on a regular basis.

PostPosted: 02/24/18 12:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
Nared is not as strong as Delisha Milton-Jones. If you watched the Tennessee-Mississippi State game, she got pushed around by Vivians. Back when Jaime was playing well, my analogy was Swin Cash. I don't think Nared is strong enough to play PF in the WNBA. Maybe now and then when a team wants to go small, but I think she'd get killed if she played 4 on a regular basis.

I don't think Nared's skillset is at all like D-Nasty. She has a much better handle but not the physicallity of either DMJ or Cash. ie much more of a natural SF and really I can't see her playing PF at all.Her instincts are as a slasher but this year she's had a hard time finishing anything anywhere anytime. I was higher on her at the beginning of the season than I am now. Of course she can always improve. But that can be said of all these girls coming out of college. Predicting who will improve the most is part of the fun of evaluating them. And of course most of us don't spend the hours and hours of tape watching that presumably their future employers do.

At this point in time, Vivians is clearly the most polished/consistent of these players we're talking about. One of the things I love in her game is the midrange pull up. It's so pretty! She gets good height and is just madam smooth with it. And she plays both ends. She is closer than Nared to being able to play the 4 in a pinch, but doesn't have (or at least doesn't show in her current situation) a great handle so is definitely not a 2.

I haven't watched enough Shakyla Thomas other than to get a vague notion of lots of athleticism but it seemed like not the most bball smarts. It appears that she shoots only near the rim. And since she can't even shoot FTs, that's not a good omen at extending her range. She's really too small to play PF so definitely a tweener and strikes me as a lesser Gabby without the extra skills and smarts.

- Amanda Gorman
GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 02/24/18 2:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Tangential, but sometimes Napheesa Collier reminds me of DeLisha Milton. Not sure why, exactly.
Shades

PostPosted: 02/24/18 3:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:

I haven't watched enough Shakayla Thomas other than to get a vague notion of lots of athleticism but it seemed like not the most bball smarts. It appears that she shoots only near the rim. And since she can't even shoot FTs, that's not a good omen at extending her range. She's really too small to play PF so definitely a tweener and strikes me as a lesser Gabby without the extra skills and smarts.

If that’s your scout on Thomas, why do you have her going so high? Sounds like a second round crap shoot.

Sparks still need that 5th post. There’s no room for more guards and SF’s. Their two training camp signings are even guards.

They should combine RWilliams and #11 to move up in the draft to get a post. Which team might go for that?

Last edited by Shades on 02/24/18 4:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
myrtle

PostPosted: 02/24/18 4:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
myrtle wrote:

I haven't watched enough Shakayla Thomas other than to get a vague notion of lots of athleticism but it seemed like not the most bball smarts. It appears that she shoots only near the rim. And since she can't even shoot FTs, that's not a good omen at extending her range. She's really too small to play PF so definitely a tweener and strikes me as a lesser Gabby without the extra skills and smarts.

If that’s your scout on Thomas, why do you have her going so high? Sounds like a second round crap shoot.

Sparks still need that 5th post. There’s no room for more guards and SF’s. Their two training signings are even guards.

They should combine RWilliams and #11 to move up in the draft to get a post. Which team might go for that?

As I said, I haven't seen enough of her to really know, but others seem high on her. I guess they will go with best available and thinking longer term - ie after Beard - they do need someone in that position. Anyway I suspect LA will sign another FA (foreign?) post. But barring injury that 5th post will be firmly planted on the bench so I don't see the glaring need there. And I don't see any post higher in the draft that would be making them drool but agree getting rid of Williams' contract is probably high on the wish list.

- Amanda Gorman
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 56, 57, 58 ... 91, 92, 93  Next
Page 57 of 93

Jump to: