RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

2018 WNBA Mock Draft
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 30, 31, 32 ... 91, 92, 93  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Randy

PostPosted: 12/13/17 8:20 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Regarding DD - Lady Vols are suddenly a good team again. Addition by subtraction? Razz

ClayK

PostPosted: 12/13/17 10:49 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
Regarding DD - Lady Vols are suddenly a good team again. Addition by subtraction? Razz

Interesting point ...

PostPosted: 12/13/17 10:58 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

#Occasionalwnbafan wrote:
The sky could gamble and take Vadeeva in the lottery, richyyy did point out that Diamond and Gabby are both pretty much small forwards, and they already have Cooper, maybe they take one and not the other.

Richyyy also pointed out that he thinks she could go second round.

As far DeShields and Gabby goes, they aren't exactly alike. DeShields can definitely be used as a big guard. So if Faulkner comes back 100% and the Sky draft both Gabby & DeShields, Cappie days might be coming to an end (or Faulkner days if they can get a good price for her).

Gabby probably should eventually become a big guard herself, but I see her initially transitioning to a small forward.

I'm not sure where all this leaves Copper, who had a better season than I expected.... but Stocks did say somewhere that she was targeting the SF for the draft. Who knows with Stocks. She seems capable of making a surprise move. She made one last year by taking Coates with #2. In hindsight she probably regrets not taking two big guards in Gray and Davis with the first two picks, and now's her chance to make up for it.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned

Last edited by Shades on 12/13/17 4:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
Shades

PostPosted: 12/13/17 11:10 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:

Are you also going to reason that Duke got better without Azura Stevens, and UConn doesn't seem all that much more dominating with Azura Stevens?

There's a lot of variables that go into to a team winning or losing. In either case it doesn't necessarily come down to one player, but I suppose it's easy to paint it that way.

Last edited by Shades on 12/13/17 12:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
Nixtreefan

PostPosted: 12/13/17 12:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Good points Laughing And it's only December Laughing

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 12/13/17 4:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Randy wrote:

Are you also going to reason that Duke got better without Azura Stevens, and UConn doesn't seem all that much more dominating with Azura Stevens?

There's a lot of variables that go into to a team winning or losing. In either case it doesn't necessarily come down to one player, but I suppose it's easy to paint it that way.

Preach Shades Cool

PostPosted: 12/14/17 12:50 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
awhom111 wrote:
I guess it's 2019, but Li Yueru is suddenly becoming the mystery prospect of the year. I guess we will be watching her closely at the World Championship.

If I've seen her play I don't remember it, but it's reminiscent of Vadeeva with the way China have thrown her right in to their full national team at a very young age and she's piled up numbers as the leading scorer/rebounder. It'd be great to see players like her and Ji Su Park in the WNBA, but I'm still not expecting them to go that high in the draft. There's just no history of seeing those kinds of players show up in the US, certainly not on a consistent year-by-year basis. For similar reasons I'm still not convinced that we'll see Vadeeva until mid-2nd round, either.

Quevedo might go at some point, like Tchatchouang did, but I don't see anyone being too eager there.

Li's domestic league play has been impressive even though her last game was poor. I kind of wonder if there's some kind of Zhou Qi distortion going on there. When he was breaking Kevin Pelton's projection model, my sock puppet asked him in an ESPN chat if he thought it was because Zhou was matching up against domestic players while the opposing foreign post was guarding Blatche, which he thought could be a reasonable explanation. It could be that Guangdong is using Amber Harris as a decoy to get a weaker defender on Li.

I would also like to change my 2019 mystery prospect to Inci Guclu. We're unlikely to ever see her play as much as we want, but I'm sure WNBA personnel will comb through every minute we have at her height.

Yeah, I've never really understood what Spain sees in Quevedo. I just want to see if any WNBA GM is insightful enough about the rules to know that these types of players are available in their age 22 years. It's been too long since we've had somebody blow a pick on an ineligible player. Of course, the draft after I write about the fruitlessness of the third round, we seem to have had a pretty good one in 2017 so we will see what 2018 brings. I still posit that international players are the best use of third round picks if you have at least two early round picks.

I would also like to know where the sudden Vadeeva hype is coming from. I consider myself relatively high on her as a prospect not accounting for availability, but apparently there are people who are even higher on her. Of course, I thought I was the most optimistic about Musina, whose future I find more intriguing, but after I wrote the international prospects article, somebody replied that they would pick her first overall, which would seem crazy to me even if she guaranteed she would come over every year. People just seem like the mystery of international prospects, even the ones who have every game of theirs available online.
WNBA 09

PostPosted: 12/14/17 2:03 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

awhom111 wrote:
Richyyy wrote:
awhom111 wrote:
I guess it's 2019, but Li Yueru is suddenly becoming the mystery prospect of the year. I guess we will be watching her closely at the World Championship.

If I've seen her play I don't remember it, but it's reminiscent of Vadeeva with the way China have thrown her right in to their full national team at a very young age and she's piled up numbers as the leading scorer/rebounder. It'd be great to see players like her and Ji Su Park in the WNBA, but I'm still not expecting them to go that high in the draft. There's just no history of seeing those kinds of players show up in the US, certainly not on a consistent year-by-year basis. For similar reasons I'm still not convinced that we'll see Vadeeva until mid-2nd round, either.

Quevedo might go at some point, like Tchatchouang did, but I don't see anyone being too eager there.

Li's domestic league play has been impressive even though her last game was poor. I kind of wonder if there's some kind of Zhou Qi distortion going on there. When he was breaking Kevin Pelton's projection model, my sock puppet asked him in an ESPN chat if he thought it was because Zhou was matching up against domestic players while the opposing foreign post was guarding Blatche, which he thought could be a reasonable explanation. It could be that Guangdong is using Amber Harris as a decoy to get a weaker defender on Li.

I would also like to change my 2019 mystery prospect to Inci Guclu. We're unlikely to ever see her play as much as we want, but I'm sure WNBA personnel will comb through every minute we have at her height.

Yeah, I've never really understood what Spain sees in Quevedo. I just want to see if any WNBA GM is insightful enough about the rules to know that these types of players are available in their age 22 years. It's been too long since we've had somebody blow a pick on an ineligible player. Of course, the draft after I write about the fruitlessness of the third round, we seem to have had a pretty good one in 2017 so we will see what 2018 brings. I still posit that international players are the best use of third round picks if you have at least two early round picks.

I would also like to know where the sudden Vadeeva hype is coming from. I consider myself relatively high on her as a prospect not accounting for availability, but apparently there are people who are even higher on her. Of course, I thought I was the most optimistic about Musina, whose future I find more intriguing, but after I wrote the international prospects article, somebody replied that they would pick her first overall, which would seem crazy to me even if she guaranteed she would come over every year. People just seem like the mystery of international prospects, even the ones who have every game of theirs available online.

Its The PFT & LoJack Syndrome.

PostPosted: 12/14/17 9:39 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Randy wrote:

That's a bad comparison- Duke didn't necessarily get better. The two key players not named Greenwell on the 15-16 team were unhappy there and didn't like the coach. And they added Lexie Brown, clearly one of the top guards in the county.

Tennessee is certainly better and everyone plays harder and seems happier (including the coach) now that DD is gone.

Shades

PostPosted: 12/14/17 12:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Actually it's a perfect comparison to illustrate that it's not always about one player.

Duke record last year with Stevens 20-12, 8-8 ACC
Duke record first year w/o Stevens 28-6, 13-3 ACC

That's a fairly stark improvement without Stevens. So if you don't dig deeper, maybe you come to the conclusion like Randy might with his simple view... they were bad because of Stevens.

There are other reasons Duke might have improved, like adding Lexie Brown, maybe adding a prominent freshman, and mostly just staying healthy until the NCAA tournament (which hasn't happened in years for Duke). I think they made key staff additions also. There could be so many other things that we don't see that could have contributed to Duke's improvement. That also applies to Tennessee's situation (that is, if they're actually improved).

Moving onto a closer look at Tennessee

Tennessee record last year with DeShields 20-12, 10-6 SEC
Tennessee record first year w/o DeShields 10-0, 0-0 SEC

Last year Tennessee started out 6-4 with an arguably tougher schedule than this year, and this year they're already halfway to the number of wins they had last year, so I guess people are ready to jump to the conclusion that they're a better team. But remember, last year's team also surprised with wins over ND and SC to go along with surprise losses. Can this year's team beat ND or SC? I guess we'll have to wait and see. So far, their best win is against an overrated and vulnerable Texas team.

Even if it turns out that Tennessee is better than last year, can we automatically conclude that it's because DeShields is gone and not because of additional variables? I'm not as familiar with Tennessee as I am with Duke so I'm not sure what those variables would be, but maybe a Tennessee expert could shed some light. I do know they had the #1 recruiting class, so that's gotta help. I seem to recall an article where Russell said she was determined to improve this year. Russell is also another year removed from her foot surgery. You could probably find a lot of possible factors for a presumed Tennessee improvement this season if you're willing to dig enough for it. It's easier just to jump to conclusions. That's no effort at all.

I don't think PRballer is all that familiar with Tennessee either because he abruptly concludes that Tennessee players are "happier" without DeShields without any sort of backing documentation, and that's the only reason why they're playing better. Is PRballer omniscient that he knows the happiness of every player in every locker room, and happiness is the only quality that determines whether a team has success or not? More likely this omniscient quality is based on messageboard rumors, which are rarely solid.

PUmatty

PostPosted: 12/14/17 12:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Actually it's a perfect comparison to illustrate that it's not always about one player.

That's a fairly stark improvement without Stevens. So if you don't dig deeper, maybe you come to the conclusion like Randy might with his simple view... they were bad because of Stevens.

There are other reasons Duke might have improved, like adding Lexie Brown, maybe adding a prominent freshman, and mostly just staying healthy until the NCAA tournament (which hasn't happened in years for Duke). I think they made key staff additions also. There could be so many other things that we don't see that could have contributed to Duke's improvement. That also applies to Tennessee's situation (that is, if they're actually improved).

Last year Tennessee started out 6-4 with an arguably tougher schedule than this year, and this year they're already halfway to the number of wins they had last year, so I guess people are ready to jump to the conclusion that they're a better team. But remember, last year's team also surprised with wins over ND and SC to go along with surprise losses. Can this year's team beat ND or SC? I guess we'll have to wait and see. So far, their best win is against an overrated and vulnerable Texas team.

Even if it turns out that Tennessee is better than last year, can we automatically conclude that it's because DeShields is gone and not because of additional variables? I'm not as familiar with Tennessee as I am with Duke so I'm not sure what those variables would be, but maybe a Tennessee expert could shed some light. I do know they had the #1 recruiting class, so that's gotta help. I seem to recall an article where Russell said she was determined to improve this year. Russell is also another year removed from her foot surgery. You could probably find a lot of possible factors for a presumed Tennessee improvement this season if you're willing to dig enough for it. It's easier just to jump to conclusions. That's no effort at all.

I don't think PRballer is all that familiar with Tennessee either because he abruptly concludes that Tennessee players are "happier" without DeShields without any sort of backing documentation, and that's the only reason why they're playing better. Is PRballer omniscient that he knows the happiness of every player in every locker room, and happiness is the only quality that determines whether a team has success or not? More likely this omniscient quality is based on messageboard rumors, which are rarely solid.

Excepting the Texas game, Tennessee's schedule has been pathetic. Let's wait until they beat some more real competition before assuming they are so much better this year.

awhom111

PostPosted: 12/14/17 8:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:

Before anyone starts to panic about Stevens due to Shades's analogy, everyone should remember that 4 of Duke's conference losses were in games that Stevens missed due to injury. Now Shades owes me for making me recall our very painful losses to Wake Forest and Georgia Tech.
readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 12/20/17 12:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

awhom111 wrote:
Shades wrote:

Before anyone starts to panic about Stevens due to Shades's analogy, everyone should remember that 4 of Duke's conference losses were in games that Stevens missed due to injury. Now Shades owes me for making me recall our very painful losses to Wake Forest and Georgia Tech.

When it comes to Duke, Shades pulls things out of his netherside just to irk us true Duke fans who want the coach gone, the sooner, the better. Stevens was great at Duke and even better at UConn. Duke still had a couple of top 10 (coming out of high school) post players last year.

~rAf
Nerd2

PostPosted: 12/20/17 1:45 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PRballer wrote:
Shades wrote:
Randy wrote:

That's a bad comparison- Duke didn't necessarily get better. The two key players not named Greenwell on the 15-16 team were unhappy there and didn't like the coach. And they added Lexie Brown, clearly one of the top guards in the county.

Tennessee is certainly better and everyone plays harder and seems happier (including the coach) now that DD is gone.

It's not just DD, though, it's also Te'a Cooper. While DD definitely underperformed, the dynamic of having a player who in the end seemed to challenge a team leader couldn't have helped team cohesion.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 12/20/17 12:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Folks still think Gabby is a lottery pick ? Question Question

PostPosted: 12/21/17 3:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think you have to give Gabby a break as she is clearly not 100%, last game she showed how she can affect the game with her passing which can be a plus at the next level.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 12/21/17 3:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballjunkie wrote:
I think you have to give Gabby a break as she is clearly not 100%, last game she showed how she can affect the game with her passing which can be a plus at the next level.

Laughing Laughing Laughing Alot of these players can pass the ball , She has WNBA talent no doubt . But Lottery pick does not seem to be a safe bet . I know a coach or 2 who's not buying the hype so far. Luckily that or those coaches do not have a lottery pick this year . Might be a bit of trickery to get her to fall lower , Id say right now she's being considered around 4-7 . Scoring challenged Guards dont normally last long in the W . She will have to expand her game more 4 years at UCONN has not done the job .

PostPosted: 12/21/17 3:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
Scoring challenged Guards dont normally last long in the W . She will have to expand her game more 4 years at UCONN has not done the job .

She's a forward, though, and a power forward without a 3 point shot. I see her as an Alysha Clark-type whose size means that she will need to transition to a wing in order to succeed as a pro. But, here's her career best at UConn:

3-Pt Field Goals Made 1 vs. Florida State (November 14, 2016)
3-Pt Field Goals Attempted 1 Seven Times

Randy

PostPosted: 12/21/17 3:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

You guys are giving me migraine Crying or Very sad

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 12/21/17 3:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nerd2 wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
Scoring challenged Guards dont normally last long in the W . She will have to expand her game more 4 years at UCONN has not done the job .

She's a forward, though, and a power forward without a 3 point shot. I see her as an Alysha Clark-type whose size means that she will need to transition to a wing in order to succeed as a pro. But, here's her career best at UConn:

I cant remember a team being successful with Alysha Clark as there starting SF or PF to date yet , But you believe this experiment will work wonders ? Correct me if im wrong please politely , Using Alysha Clark as an example for Gabby does not add clout to her resume. Alysha clark at best should be a 6th Man or pretty much a bench player , due to limited options in Seattle she's the starter and also the position looking to be upgraded also .

PostPosted: 12/21/17 3:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
bballjunkie wrote:

Laughing Laughing Laughing Alot of these players can pass the ball , She has WNBA talent no doubt . But Lottery pick does not seem to be a safe bet . I know a coach or 2 who's not buying the hype so far. Luckily that or those coaches do not have a lottery pick this year . Might be a bit of trickery to get her to fall lower , Id say right now she's being considered around 4-7 . Scoring challenged Guards dont normally last long in the W . She will have to expand her game more 4 years at UCONN has not done the job .

Laughing Laughing

pilight

PostPosted: 12/21/17 3:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nerd2 wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:

Alysha Clark, despite leading the nation in scoring as a senior, wasn't selected until the second round of a not very good draft and didn't make a WNBA roster until two years later.

PostPosted: 12/21/17 3:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
Nerd2 wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:

I cant remember a team being successful with Alysha Clark as there starting SF or PF to date yet , But you believe this experiment will work wonders ? Correct me if im wrong please politely , Using Alysha Clark as an example for Gabby does not add clout to her resume. Alysha clark at best should be a 6th Man or pretty much a bench player , due to limited options in Seattle she's the starter and also the position looking to be upgraded also .

Seriously, give it a break. For one, Gabby is more athletic than Clark, and is a better passer imo. She has the potential to be a lockdown defender at the next level, and she can guard pretty much every perimeter position due to her speed and athleticism. So what, she doesn’t have a reliable perimeter shot, well neither does Tamera Young and she’s made a long career out of what she has. Unlike Young, Gabby is a good finisher and distributor. At the next level you put a smaller guard on her she can post up, if you put a bigger defender on her she can drive right past them and finish or make a play for her teammates. From what I’ve seen, when she does attempt a 3, her form actually isn’t bad at all, so I think she can develop the shot eventually.

This season at UConn, she’s been dealing with migraines, and it’s clear she hasn’t been 100%.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 12/21/17 4:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

TotalCardinalMove wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
Nerd2 wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:

Seriously, give it a break. For one, Gabby is more athletic than Clark, and is a better passer imo. She has the potential to be a lockdown defender at the next level, and she can guard pretty much every perimeter position due to her speed and athleticism. So what, she doesn’t have a reliable perimeter shot, well neither does Tamera Young and she’s made a long career out of what she has. Unlike Young, Gabby is a good finisher and distributor. At the next level you put a smaller guard on her she can post up, it you put a bigger defender on her she can drive right past them and finish or make a play for her teammates.

This season at UConn, she’s been dealing with migraines, and it’s clear she hasn’t been 100%.

She can guard every position at the college level . You or we have yet to see her defend a WNBA player in a game so slow your horses my friend. The things i hear from alot of people about Gabby are things you hear from the media which is a bunch of overhype madness . The talent is there once again , but without being able to score in college effortlessly what makes you think she's going to in the W ? Tamera Young really ? Was Tamera Young A lottery pick ? All the comparisons and my only comment was that she should not be a lottery pick. Not saying shes not a good player sheesh.

PostPosted: 12/21/17 4:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
TotalCardinalMove wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
Nerd2 wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:

Seriously, give it a break. For one, Gabby is more athletic than Clark, and is a better passer imo. She has the potential to be a lockdown defender at the next level, and she can guard pretty much every perimeter position due to her speed and athleticism. So what, she doesn’t have a reliable perimeter shot, well neither does Tamera Young and she’s made a long career out of what she has. Unlike Young, Gabby is a good finisher and distributor. At the next level you put a smaller guard on her she can post up, it you put a bigger defender on her she can drive right past them and finish or make a play for her teammates.

She can guard every position at the college level . You or we have yet to see her defend a WNBA player in a game so slow your horses my friend. The things i hear from alot of people about Gabby are things you hear from the media which is a bunch of overhype madness . The talent is there once again , but without being able to score in college effortlessly what makes you think she's going to in the W ? Tamera Young really ? Was Tamera Young A lottery pick ? All the comparisons and my only comment was that she should not be a lottery pick. Not saying shes not a good player sheesh.

You clearly are not reading what I’m saying fully. I said she can guard every perimeter position in the W, so 1-3. Speed and athleticism typically translate, and she clearly is really skilled.

Young was picked 8th in the 2008 draft, but considering Parker, Fowles and Wiggins were in that class (the first 3 picks) it was going to be a stretch to pass on any of them. Hornbuckle was picked 4th, and she came in and led the W in steals her first season. Ajavon, Langhorne and Carson were the next 3 picked before Young. Correct me if I’m wrong, but the first seven picks in this draft were on teams that earned the top 8 seeds in the tournament, and made it to at least the Elite 8 that season.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 30, 31, 32 ... 91, 92, 93  Next
Page 31 of 93

Jump to: