2018 WNBA Mock Draft
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 28, 29, 30 ... 91, 92, 93  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shades

PostPosted: 12/04/17 3:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
Richyyy wrote:
#Occasionalwnbafan wrote:
So Lexi Brown is basically having another 50/40/90 season, she’s an elite level shooter and can create her own shot from 3, I would take her over Mitchell right now, I don’t think she’ll last past number 6.

Her numbers at Duke are certainly impressive. Is she a legitimate point guard prospect at the next level rather than just a scorer? If the top four go as some combination of Wilson/DeShields/Mitchell/Williams (or others), I wonder if Seattle could see Brown/Loyd as their eventual backcourt when Bird finally walks off into the sunset. After Wilson it seems like they might be reaching if they only looked at true bigs at #5.

Brown is not a true W PG. She is a scoring guard who can handle and pass and is a secondary facilitator, but she is not a primary playmaker.

Alexis Jones is more of a PG than Lexi Brown, to use a Duke comparison.

Now, pair her with someone just like her who is more of a PG or who can at least be a primary playmaker, and she will be just fine.

Oh, Brown is not a "true" PG? Good that only means she's more versatile and will do just fine in the PG role in the WNBA. College "true" PGs don't do very well in the WNBA. Does that mean Brown will only play PG in the WNBA? No, like Diggins (my favorite comparison), she can be used off guard when Allisha Gray has to sit or be used at the SF spot, but most of the time she'll do just fine running the show.

If you ask Brown, she'll say she's a PG. What was she doing at Maryland?

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Rock Hard

PostPosted: 12/04/17 4:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
Richyyy wrote:
I saw a Uconn fan call Gabby the female Kawhi Leonard, I think that's a good comparison for her. Yes Gabby isn't a outside shooter yet, but If she puts the work in, she could be the best 2way player in the WNBA in a few seasons.

I could see that, but there are also a whole host of players on the other side of the 'can they learn to shoot after being drafted?' ledger. Leonard became a really good outside shooter, and that's a big part of how effective he became as an offensive player. Some just can't do it, even if they do work really hard on it, and that would put a different ceiling on Williams as a player.

Gabby is a truly elite prospect, in terms of sheer athleticism, leaping ability, lateral speed and front/back speed.

For her size and position, she is an excellent rebounder, very good passer/playmaker, great slasher, and a tremendous open court threat.

But if after four years under Geno Auriemma, she still cannot develop a consistent outside shot, I have concerns. Her mid-range jumper is better, but she still cannot hit free throws at a good percentage.

As an aside, Williams' success will be dependent on that outside shot, but also on fit. Pairing her as a SF on a team with shooting from 1-2 and 4-5 would be ideal.

This is why i think Chicago would be an excellent fit. First, it feels a need. It adds a truly athletic presence to a team that has shooting from four players on the floor. I think she will add a much needed defensive presence and rebounding.

Thanks for that analysis. She is exactly what Chicago needs. Everyone wants this young lady to be the next Maya Moore. They say she can't shoot like Moore so she is not a lottery pick and she will be a bust. My advice to all those people is they should concern themselves with their team's draft picks and do not worry about who Chicago should draft.

PostPosted: 12/04/17 7:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dtsnms wrote:
CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
Brown is not a true W PG. She is a scoring guard who can handle and pass and is a secondary facilitator, but she is not a primary playmaker.

Alexis Jones is more of a PG than Lexi Brown, to use a Duke comparison.

Now, pair her with someone just like her who is more of a PG or who can at least be a primary playmaker, and she will be just fine.

Cam I think a pretty fair comparison for Brown is Jasmine Thomas, who learned to be a PG from combo guard.

Thoughts?

Brown is a much better shooter than Thomas (especially taking out this season of Thomas). But yes, that is a pretty good comparison.

Aladyyn

PostPosted: 12/05/17 7:52 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rock Hard wrote:
CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
Richyyy wrote:
I saw a Uconn fan call Gabby the female Kawhi Leonard, I think that's a good comparison for her. Yes Gabby isn't a outside shooter yet, but If she puts the work in, she could be the best 2way player in the WNBA in a few seasons.

I could see that, but there are also a whole host of players on the other side of the 'can they learn to shoot after being drafted?' ledger. Leonard became a really good outside shooter, and that's a big part of how effective he became as an offensive player. Some just can't do it, even if they do work really hard on it, and that would put a different ceiling on Williams as a player.

Gabby is a truly elite prospect, in terms of sheer athleticism, leaping ability, lateral speed and front/back speed.

For her size and position, she is an excellent rebounder, very good passer/playmaker, great slasher, and a tremendous open court threat.

But if after four years under Geno Auriemma, she still cannot develop a consistent outside shot, I have concerns. Her mid-range jumper is better, but she still cannot hit free throws at a good percentage.

As an aside, Williams' success will be dependent on that outside shot, but also on fit. Pairing her as a SF on a team with shooting from 1-2 and 4-5 would be ideal.

This is why i think Chicago would be an excellent fit. First, it feels a need. It adds a truly athletic presence to a team that has shooting from four players on the floor. I think she will add a much needed defensive presence and rebounding.

Thanks for that analysis. She is exactly what Chicago needs. Everyone wants this young lady to be the next Maya Moore. They say she can't shoot like Moore so she is not a lottery pick and she will be a bust. My advice to all those people is they should concern themselves with their team's draft picks and do not worry about who Chicago should draft.

I really don't think Chicago should pick her... So that she can fall down to #7 Razz

pilight

PostPosted: 12/05/17 7:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rock Hard wrote:
CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
Richyyy wrote:

If she's there when my team picks, they should take her

PostPosted: 12/05/17 12:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

There is a difference between long range shooters and those that stand with their toes on the line and shoot. Look at KML she had trouble adjusting, a lot of her shots were close to the line in college, not talking about the odd 3 talking about majority. The players who shoot out from the line have a better chance in the W.

Regarding players like Williams. How many of these players who some are saying can shoot can play defense and pass the ball and play team ball and be selfless and work their ass off. Takes much more to make it in the W. You are not going to get on the floor if you don't have a motor, understand the game and understand defense. Except for the Wings Wink

calbearman76

PostPosted: 12/06/17 12:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I fall into the category of "I like Gabby but..."

Gabby has some very good things going for her, a UConn pedigree, a great motor, good court awareness, solid defense and basketball knowledge. Unfortunately she has two weaknesses that I fear will stop her from being an All Star in the W. The biggest problem is her size. Her skill set is primarily as a front court player, but the WNBA has not been kind to sub 6 foot front courters. At her height I think she will have to play the off guard and to do that and be effective she needs to develop an outside shot. I don't see her as a bust, but I wouldn't use a lottery pick on her. Pick 5-9 seems more appropriate.

Shades

PostPosted: 12/06/17 1:04 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

calbearman76 wrote:
The biggest problem is her size. Her skill set is primarily as a front court player, but the WNBA has not been kind to sub 6 foot front courters.

Hmmm.... this sounds familiar. What's your opinion on Shakayla Thomas as a WNBA prospect?

calbearman76

PostPosted: 12/06/17 4:27 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
calbearman76 wrote:
The biggest problem is her size. Her skill set is primarily as a front court player, but the WNBA has not been kind to sub 6 foot front courters.

Hmmm.... this sounds familiar. What's your opinion on Shakayla Thomas as a WNBA prospect?

From a size and shooting standpoint I would have even more concern. I only saw her play one game last season and she didn't impress me as a WNBA player, but I haven't seen her this season so I wouldn't want to write her off completely. She has talent, but I can't see her being effective inside. I could see her being chosen in the second round but I don't think she will even make a roster.

Nixtreefan

PostPosted: 12/06/17 11:30 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Not many players are All Stars. Teams need players that help them function as a unit, too many AllStars can be a problem. Whoa about Thomas thats going from the most unselfish to the selfish spectrum Wink

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 12/06/17 11:45 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nixtreefan wrote:
There is a difference between long range shooters and those that stand with their toes on the line and shoot. Look at KML she had trouble adjusting, a lot of her shots were close to the line in college, not talking about the odd 3 talking about majority. The players who shoot out from the line have a better chance in the W.

Regarding players like Williams. How many of these players who some are saying can shoot can play defense and pass the ball and play team ball and be selfless and work their ass off. Takes much more to make it in the W. You are not going to get on the floor if you don't have a motor, understand the game and understand defense. Except for the Wings Wink

You also will not be on the floor if you cant shoot . Except for Stanford Wink

PostPosted: 12/06/17 11:46 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

calbearman76 wrote:
I fall into the category of "I like Gabby but..."

Gabby has some very good things going for her, a UConn pedigree, a great motor, good court awareness, solid defense and basketball knowledge. Unfortunately she has two weaknesses that I fear will stop her from being an All Star in the W. The biggest problem is her size. Her skill set is primarily as a front court player, but the WNBA has not been kind to sub 6 foot front courters. At her height I think she will have to play the off guard and to do that and be effective she needs to develop an outside shot. I don't see her as a bust, but I wouldn't use a lottery pick on her. Pick 5-9 seems more appropriate.

x_____________

PostPosted: 12/06/17 1:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I can't wait to see what people are saying next year when 5'7 post player Linnae Harper is taken in the 1st round.
Nixtreefan

PostPosted: 12/06/17 1:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
Nixtreefan wrote:

Good one, good one. I think there are a lot of players on the floor who can't shoot Laughing

Shades

PostPosted: 12/06/17 1:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I can't wait to see what people are saying next year when 5'7 post player Linnae Harper is taken in the 1st round.

I'd be surprised if she went first round, but she should get drafted by somebody and see if she can be developed as a PG. (Originally from Chicago)

I don't know why you refer to her as a post player. She's obviously a guard at Ohio State, and even her old Kentucky bio lists her as a guard. Just because she gets a lot of rebounds doesn't mean she is a post player. She gets after it. She has a nose for the ball.

http://m.ukathletics.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=3997

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 12/06/17 1:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nixtreefan wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
Nixtreefan wrote:

Good one, good one. I think there are a lot of players on the floor who can't shoot Laughing

Laughing Laughing Laughing , Gabby has the motor im just not sold on wasting a draft pick unless its a sure bet .

PostPosted: 12/06/17 2:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:

I'd be surprised if she went first round, but she should get drafted by somebody and see if she can be developed as a PG. (Originally from Chicago)

I don't know why you refer to her as a post player. She's obviously a guard at Ohio State, and even her old Kentucky bio lists her as a guard. Just because she gets a lot of rebounds doesn't mean she is a post player. She gets after it. She has a nose for the ball.

she's playing the four for Ohio St this year.
Nixtreefan

PostPosted: 12/06/17 3:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Thats debatable, I think 4 players are running around thinking I wonder when I will touch the ball. Wink

Shades

PostPosted: 12/06/17 3:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:

she's playing the four for Ohio St this year.

Waterman averages 19 mpg, so it looks like they play a 4 guard system about half the time.

When your best players are guards, it may cause a team to utilize a 4 guard system. That's what my team is doing. That doesn't necessarily mean that 4th guard should be permanently labeled a post player.

calbearman76

PostPosted: 12/06/17 4:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

For What It's Worth, Linnae Harper is listed on the Ohio St. website roster as a guard. But more to the point Harper has no position to play in the WNBA except point guard and from what I have seen she does not have those skills. I can see someone taking a flyer on her with a third round pick, but more likely she is an invitee to the Sky camp who goes over to Europe to develop a pro game.

Rock Hard

PostPosted: 12/06/17 4:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

A lot of people on this board will have their underwear twisted into a complex knot when their favorite player to hate gets drafted in the 2018 lottery. Hopefully on draft day they won't be suffering with diarrhea. Very Happy

PostPosted: 12/06/17 4:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Isn't harper a redshirt senior?
If Alston was the last pick in the second round in a draft that was top heavy don't see Harper getting drafted any higher.

J-Spoon

PostPosted: 12/06/17 11:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I still have G. Williams in the lottery (Gabby might be slightly more reliant on fit than the other lottery players with more clear cut positions, but I think Chicago is one of the best fits for her, and with two picks unless they package them one or both of them in a trade I don't see G. Williams falling past Chicago).

I'm sticking with no early entries for now

so my lottery would be

Wilson
Mitchell
Deshields
G. Williams

for G. Williams (or for that matter Deshields or Mitchell) to fall out of the lottery someone else has to move up, who is moving up to take that lottery spot?

Brown, Russell, Nurse, Canada, someone else?

And why would you pick them over Williams? (Or Deshields or Mitchell)?

Richyyy

PostPosted: 12/06/17 11:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

While I'm forever an advocate of 'just take the best damn player and figure the rest out later', especially at the top of a draft, aren't DeShields and Williams ultimately both 3s? Some 2, some 4, but mostly 3. So never mind that they'd be looking for minutes amongst Quigley, Copper, maybe Young, maybe Pondexter - would you really want to spend two consecutive lottery picks on players who'd be keeping each other off the floor? I bet that's really rare if you look back at the history of basketball teams with multiple high picks in the same draft.

PostPosted: 12/06/17 11:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
While I'm forever an advocate of 'just take the best damn player and figure the rest out later', especially at the top of a draft, aren't DeShields and Williams ultimately both 3s? Some 2, some 4, but mostly 3. So never mind that they'd be looking for minutes amongst Quigley, Copper, maybe Young, maybe Pondexter - would you really want to spend two consecutive lottery picks on players who'd be keeping each other off the floor? I bet that's really rare if you look back at the history of basketball teams with multiple high picks in the same draft.

that was a list of the top 4 I wasn't really saying it was my order (my mistake), I see Indy taking Deshields and Chicago taking Mitchell and Williams. That does over load Chicago on the perimeter but I wouldn't be too surprised if someone gets traded. But if you've got Sloot/Mitchell and Quigley/Pondexter at the 1 and 2 and Dolson up front I think G. Williams (and Copper) are a very strong compliment for those players at the SF spot where Chicago could really use some athleticism and defense and with enough shooter at the other spots to not be hurt by Williams lack of a 3 ball.

Now if Chicago wants an upgrade at the PF spot they could package a pick and a player to resolve that spot.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 28, 29, 30 ... 91, 92, 93  Next
Page 29 of 93

Jump to: