RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

2018 WNBA Mock Draft
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 91, 92, 93  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pilight

PostPosted: 09/06/17 5:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rock Hard wrote:
Why is it a major issue with the people on this board that Coates has not signed a contract with the Sky yet? Anchonwa tore her ACL during the Final Four game in 2014. She was drafted that year in the first round. She didn't sign her contract with Indiana until February of 2015. Confused Much ado about nothing.

There was some speculation at the time that she might re-enter the draft, even though she said she wouldn't. I said in September 2014...

Quote:
A healthy Achonwa might be the #1 pick next year

http://boards.rebkell.net/viewtopic.php?p=1258285#1258285

Of course that was before Loyd declared

PostPosted: 09/06/17 6:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Events evolve with every passing day. The pre-draft trades rumors are now in the wind and are presently floating over North Korea.
There was a post logjam in Chicago and now not so much. Like sands in an hourglass these are the days of our lives...

PostPosted: 09/06/17 8:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If Coates doesn't sign, Chicago loses her. If Coates plays overseas and does not sigh, she becomes a free agent.

Coates is now like Fowles: Here's where I want to go, If you don't sign me and trade me there you get nothing for me.

Stock next move...

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 09/06/17 9:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

RavenDog wrote:

Gabby's already has two point range, has a quick first step going to the hole and will develop or have a three point shot

Perfect example of what I said in the KML thread. In 15 years of basketball she's shown no aptitude for perimeter shooting, but don't worry, between April 15 and May 15 next year she'll magically develop a shot. Rolling Eyes

At the same time I also have little doubt that some GM will overdraft her based on exactly that silly presumption. It's a great way to get fired, but somebody will do it.

Seriously, we're not talking some Lindsay Allen "she doesn't shoot much" situation. This also isn't someone who has simply struggled with her 3pt shooting percentage. Not someone who has at least at times manifested some modicum of shooting fundamentals. No. We're talking someone who has made ONE - no that's not a typo, it's one - three point shot in three years of college play. The notion that her fairy godmother is going to wave her wand and grant her a three point shot at this point in her career is, shall we say, unlikely in the extreme?

I see no more reason to think she's going to suddenly "develop" a three point shot than there is to think Danielle Robinson is going to drain 100 3s next season.

RavenDog wrote:
She hasn't needed to shoot threes at UConn. Let's see what happens this year in her continuing development.

Yep. As I said in the other thread, she has one more year to demonstrate she can make shots from the arc. But if she doesn't, GMs need to evaluate her draft prospects on the assumption she never will. It is crazy to gamble a high choice that she'll "develop" a three point shot where none has ever existed before. And then what she is is an undersized 3 with no outside shot. Is that really worth a top ten pick?

Shades

PostPosted: 09/06/17 10:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Anybody heard of Kahleah Copper? They said it couldn't be done, but a scout here believed in her.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
RavenDog

PostPosted: 09/06/17 10:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
RavenDog wrote:

Gabby's already has two point range, has a quick first step going to the hole and will develop or have a three point shot

Perfect example of what I said in the KML thread. In 15 years of basketball she's shown no aptitude for perimeter shooting, but don't worry, between April 15 and May 15 next year she'll magically develop a shot. Rolling Eyes

At the same time I also have little doubt that some GM will overdraft her based on exactly that silly presumption. It's a great way to get fired, but somebody will do it.

Seriously, we're not talking some Lindsay Allen "she doesn't shoot much" situation. This also isn't someone who has simply struggled with her 3pt shooting percentage. Not someone who has at least at times manifested some modicum of shooting fundamentals. No. We're talking someone who has made ONE - no that's not a typo, it's one - three point shot in three years of college play. The notion that her fairy godmother is going to wave her wand and grant her a three point shot at this point in her career is, shall we say, unlikely in the extreme?

I see no more reason to think she's going to suddenly "develop" a three point shot than there is to think Danielle Robinson is going to drain 100 3s next season.

RavenDog wrote:
She hasn't needed to shoot threes at UConn. Let's see what happens this year in her continuing development.

Yep. As I said in the other thread, she has one more year to demonstrate she can make shots from the arc. But if she doesn't, GMs need to evaluate her draft prospects on the assumption she never will. It is crazy to gamble a high choice that she'll "develop" a three point shot where none has ever existed before. And then what she is is an undersized 3 with no outside shot. Is that really worth a top ten pick?

Simply amazing.

Last edited by RavenDog on 09/06/17 10:49 pm; edited 2 times in total
ArtBest23

PostPosted: 09/06/17 10:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

RavenDog wrote:

Simply amazing.

I agree. It is simply amazing. Maybe you'd like to elaborate how exactly you're so convinced someone who has made ONE....count 'em, ONE...... three point shot in her career will suddenly "develop or have" a three point shot.

I mean, it's not like she has a coach who discourages it. Even Stephanie Dolson had the green light to shoot 3s occasionally. Morgan Tuck shot 3s. Even Collier, who is generally considered as not being a perimeter shooter, made 22 of them last year. And still, there's Williams' glaring career one for six from the arc. But don't worry. She'll develop one.

I can't wait to read this one.

If it's so damn easy, you should definitely send a copy of your explanation to Danielle Robinson. It could give her a whole new career.

RavenDog

PostPosted: 09/06/17 10:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
RavenDog wrote:

Simply amazing.

I agree. It is simply amazing. Maybe you'd like to elaborate how exactly you're so convinced someone who has made ONE....count 'em, ONE...... three point shot in her career will suddenly "develop or have" a three point shot.

I mean, it's not like she has a coach who discourages it. Even Stephanie Dolson had the green light to shoot 3s occasionally. Morgan Tuck shot 3s. Even Collier, who is generally considered as not being a perimeter shooter, made 22 of them last year. And still, there's Williams' glaring career one for six from the arc. But don't worry. She'll develop one.

If it's so damn easy, you should definitely send a copy of your explanation to Danielle Robinson. It could give her a whole new career.

Laughing No response.

TotalCardinalMove

PostPosted: 09/06/17 10:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
RavenDog wrote:

Simply amazing.

Alysha Clark even has developed an occasional 3-point shot. It's not impossible if you put in the required work.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 09/06/17 10:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

RavenDog wrote:

Laughing No response.

Well there's a shock. Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

Shades

PostPosted: 09/06/17 10:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Gabby was the player of the game in the big contest against ND last season.
She was a one-woman wrecking crew.

This graphic doesn't include the 6 assists and 5 steals

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
ArtBest23

PostPosted: 09/06/17 11:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

TotalCardinalMove wrote:

Alysha Clark even has developed an occasional 3-point shot. It's not impossible if you put in the required work.

Clark made over 40 threes during her time at Belmont and Middle Tenn. Forty may not seem like a lot, but it's a lot more than one.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 09/06/17 11:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:

This graphic doesn't include the 6 assists and 5 steals

Overrated .. Arrow I wont diminish the talent though she shows me flashes of Catchings + Alyssa Thomas. Low End she could be another Alysha Clark !

PostPosted: 09/06/17 11:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't think Gabby has to have a three point shot in order to be drafted high. She has a much better shot than Alyssa Thomas for instance....and is more athletic and has just as good or better all-around game IMO. No reason to hate on her just because she is a UConn'er.

- Amanda Gorman
WNBA 09

PostPosted: 09/06/17 11:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
I don't think Gabby has to have a three point shot in order to be drafted high. She has a much better shot than Alyssa Thomas for instance....and is more athletic and has just as good or better all-around game IMO. No reason to hate on her just because she is a UConn'er.

I think my hate has more to do with the inflation of draft stock uconn players receive vs the rest of the country.

PostPosted: 09/06/17 11:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:

And your point is what? Did she make a bunch of threes and I missed them?

She's not being drafted to play in college. We're discussing her obvious limitations (actually her one limitation) at the WNBA level. Anything to add that's on topic?

If she had a shot, she could probably be excellent as a pro 3, even undersized as she is. She'd deserve to be a lottery pick. She has a lot of ball skills and is probably the best overall athlete in the draft. Even undersized and with no shot, I expect she'll make it and play well, but I'm not convinced she's worth a lottery or top five pick like some people are suggesting.

And this "she"'ll develop one" is at this point pure fantasy. Any GM drafting on that assumption deserves to get fired.

I also think there's a good shot she'll be picked in the top five anyhow. That doesn't prove it's a smart pick.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 09/06/17 11:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:

She's three or four inches shorter than Thomas. At that position, that's like night and day.

BTW, I don't hate her. She and Collier seems like two of the more likeable UConn players and she's fun to watch (or would be if she played for a different team Very Happy ).

Also BTW, Thomas was 19-71 from the arc at Maryland. That's not a lot, and we'll see what Williams' numbers are after this year, but 19-71 is a lot more shots and makes than 1-6.

TotalCardinalMove

PostPosted: 09/07/17 12:46 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
myrtle wrote:

I think my hate has more to do with the inflation of draft stock uconn players receive vs the rest of the country.

So what? They typically provide the most "pro-ready" players, it's not their fault many players around the country don't come in as prepared and ready as UConn's players do.

J-Spoon

PostPosted: 09/07/17 1:08 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If Coates plays overseas I believe she becomes a reserved player for Chicago, meaning that from that point on Chicago is the only team she can sign with unless Chicago trades her rights. She can not re-enter the draft or become an UFA. If she doesn't play overseas it is a different story.

#Occasionalwnbafan

PostPosted: 09/07/17 9:42 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
Shades wrote:

And your point is what? Did she make a bunch of threes and I missed them?

She's not being drafted to play in college. We're discussing her obvious limitations (actually her one limitation) at the WNBA level. Anything to add that's on topic?

If she had a shot, she could probably be excellent as a pro 3, even undersized as she is. She'd deserve to be a lottery pick. She has a lot of ball skills and is probably the best overall athlete in the draft. Even undersized and with no shot, I expect she'll make it and play well, but I'm not convinced she's worth a lottery or top five pick like some people are suggesting.

And this "she"'ll develop one" is at this point pure fantasy. Any GM drafting on that assumption deserves to get fired.

I also think there's a good shot she'll be picked in the top five anyhow. That doesn't prove it's a smart pick.

Gabby is listed at 5’11 but has a long wingspan, and looks closer to 6 foot, that’s not really undersized for the 3 in the WNBA, most of the small forwards are about 6’1, I think Gabby should be taken 2nd behind Wilson.
Rock Hard

PostPosted: 09/07/17 12:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I had this discussion with clayk about the need of three point shooting. His point is that three point shooting is a necessity for the way the game is played today. Everyone has seen how successful the Golden State warriors have been with their talented long range shooters and now believe that is the gold standard to aim for if your team wants to win championships.
I won't disagree that having great three point shooters on any team does help to win games. I just would like to see more young people try to master making midrange jump shots. Having a great midrange shot adds so much to a player's offensive arsenal. The ball fakes that you can use with a midrange opens up driving lanes to the basket.
I'm afraid the midrange shot will die and join the hook shot in the basketball cemetery.

PostPosted: 09/07/17 1:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Lexie Brown is really flying under the radar

Last season:

18.3p/3.9a/3.7r/2.8s/49%/40%/93%

If Lexie had a uconn logo on her uniform,people would say she's a lottery pick.

dtsnms

PostPosted: 09/07/17 2:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:
If Coates plays overseas I believe she becomes a reserved player for Chicago, meaning that from that point on Chicago is the only team she can sign with unless Chicago trades her rights. She can not re-enter the draft or become an UFA. If she doesn't play overseas it is a different story.

correct

Rock Hard

PostPosted: 09/07/17 3:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

zune69 wrote:
Lexie Brown is really flying under the radar

Last season:

18.3p/3.9a/3.7r/2.8s/49%/40%/93%

If Lexie had a uconn logo on her uniform,people would say she's a lottery pick.

She is not below my radar. I will have eyeballs on her this upcoming season. Wink

PostPosted: 09/07/17 3:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

But she is a Duke player Laughing Wink

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 91, 92, 93  Next
Page 13 of 93

Jump to: