RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

2018 WNBA Mock Draft
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 66, 67, 68 ... 91, 92, 93  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
zune69

PostPosted: 03/19/18 10:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
The four lottery picks for the 2018 draft should be, without question, Wilson-Mitchell-Williams-SheShields.

Agreed,unless Chicago wants to draft a big.

J-Spoon

PostPosted: 03/20/18 12:04 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Just for fun (in the spirit of the tourny) some head to head match ups.

The match ups are of two players who are falling in similar locations in mock drafts, who play similar positions (not always exactly the same), which is not to say they have the same type of game, demeanor, potential, etc

The simple question is which one do you take, and why? These are 1 on 1 match ups not looking for alternative candidates

G. Williams vs D. Deshields

J. Canada vs L. Brown

M. Russell vs M. Billings

V. Vivians vs K. Nurse

A. Atkins vs T. Scaife

J. Nared vs S. Thomas

S. Mavunga vs M. Gulich

OK have at it, do one match up or all.

Last edited by J-Spoon on 03/20/18 12:04 am; edited 1 time in total
WNBA 09

PostPosted: 03/20/18 12:04 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

zune69 wrote:
No way is Vivians a lottery pick.She lacks foot speed,quickness,and is a terrible defender.Half of the time Vivians is jogging up and down the court.Miss ST has managed to hide Vivians weaknesses by playing her at the PF position.It's easy to drive around defenders when they're slower and bigger than you.Not to mention all of the wide open looks Vivians gets because the PF for the other team isn't used to guarding on the perimeter.

Drafting Vivians 8th or higher would be very risky.

+1 Thats why i Laughing Laughing when peoples mock had her as high as 4 and even #6 to my wings. No shade but We will pass. Powers , Christmas , Davis < Vivians

PostPosted: 03/20/18 12:10 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:
Just for fun (in the spirit of the tourny) some head to head match ups.

The match ups are of two players who are falling in similar locations in mock drafts, who play similar positions (not always exactly the same), which is not to say they have the same type of game, demeanor, potential, etc

The simple question is which one do you take, and why? These are 1 on 1 match ups not looking for alternative candidates

J. Canada vs L. Brown

V. Vivians vs K. Nurse

A. Atkins vs T. Scaife

J. Nared vs S. Thomas

S. Mavunga vs M. Gulich

OK have at it, do one match up or all.

Diamond 1 on 1 over Gabby but pretty close.Gabby Cant score and diamond is strong enough to guard gabby.
Jordin 1 on 1 over lexie Not really that close.
Russell 1 on 1 over billings Barellly 😂
Nurse Over Vivians simply bc Nurse we be able to get more stops.
Scaife over Atkins because shes my secret weapon!
Nared Over Thomas Thomas wont score anything ever .
Gulich over Mavunga her power game would bother Mavungas lip gloss shine!

Just for fun Very Happy

PostPosted: 03/20/18 1:05 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I like your interpretation, I actually meant who would you draft between the two of them, but those would be some good one on one games as well.

I hope the Diamond/Gabby match up wouldn't come to blows, I give Diamond the edge but I could see Gabby having some killer blocks.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 03/20/18 1:17 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:
I like your interpretation, I actually meant who would you draft between the two of them, but those would be some good one on one games as well.

I hope the Diamond/Gabby match up wouldn't come to blows, I give Diamond the edge but I could see Gabby having some killer blocks.

Ive had one too many Sad made up my own game lol sorry

PostPosted: 03/20/18 9:04 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Possible division 2 player to get drafted? Laney Lewis of Ursuline?

https://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball-women/article/2018-02-19/meet-laney-lewis-russell-westbrook-dii-womens-basketball

Quote:
Just this past weekend, she set an NCAA Division II record with her fourth triple-double of the season.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Randy

PostPosted: 03/20/18 9:20 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Laney Lewis from Pepper Pike, coached by Shannon Swords.......hmmmm.

Shades

PostPosted: 03/20/18 9:38 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
Possible division 2 player to get drafted? Laney Lewis of Ursuline?

She’d have to show up to one of those private predraft camps and impress, but I’m not seeing it. There’s an overload of D1 talent available... and some teams will be using their late round picks on foreign players in the hopes they turn out to be something someday.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
awhom111

PostPosted: 03/20/18 8:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
awhom111 wrote:
ClayK wrote:
I still wonder why Vadeeva is on any first-round lists if there is no indication she will come over this year, next year or ever.

There are two separate parts of this. It depends on how highly you view her as a prospect regardless of coming over and how far down the prospect list you get before you think you might have a player who does not make it out of training camp. I think top 8 is too high, but the teams below that should consider her an option.

Why did you pick #8 as your cut-off point? Indiana has both a dire need for fresh blood in the post plus the Russian connection. Might be a good match.

I'm not sure how she fits in with PHX with Griner. Connecticut is overloaded at post and may be gun shy about more international players. Perfect fit for LAS. Back to PHX (and Reeve gets cursed). Can't let Laimbeer have her with #13.

There are valid strategic reasons for picking her at 8. Her not showing up immediately aids the tank. Her showing up immediately allows them to figure out whether she should be part of their core going forward. I wouldn't do it based on how long I think that their rebuild will legitimately take. To me it makes more sense to take players that will be there for sure. Also, if her first experience in the WNBA is a terrible team after being on one of the best teams in Europe, I would wonder if that would have an effect on decision making for future seasons.

It also depends on how you evaluate her as a prospect. Personally I think she's a high floor low ceiling player, even though that's sort of ridiculous when she's younger than the college players. Rebuilding teams should probably take risks on low floor high ceiling players. Pokey also seems like a fairly tenous Russian connection compared to some of the other teams that have a connection to her. I believe their times at Spartak Moscow did not overlap.

Richyyy wrote:
awhom111 wrote:
ClayK wrote:
I still wonder why Vadeeva is on any first-round lists if there is no indication she will come over this year, next year or ever.

There are two separate parts of this. It depends on how highly you view her as a prospect regardless of coming over and how far down the prospect list you get before you think you might have a player who does not make it out of training camp. I think top 8 is too high, but the teams below that should consider her an option.

There's also the potential 'the teams know more about her status and intentions than any of us do' element.

Even if she were Meesseman levels of committed, it feels like she should still be dinged a couple spots because realistically there will be times that she won't be available even if she wants to be. It all depends on where everyone actually has her ranked on their big board. If decision makers and not just Paul Nilsen and some fans actually believe that she is the number one prospect, that kind of changes the calculus. At the end of the day, when your gig can only offer her around 10% of her main gig, you can't really expect that her decision making for the rest of her career will be centered on your job. It's different for the players who actually need a WNBA pedigree to boost their incomes.
sigur3

PostPosted: 03/21/18 1:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't think Vadeeva to Indy at 8 is unrealistic at all. She actually has a very strong connection to the coaching staff...

RavenDog

PostPosted: 03/22/18 9:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Good question.

G. Williams vs D. Deshields DeShields is your prototype/conventional athletic player who plays best at the 2 and 3 positions. She can shoot the 3 ball, whereas Williams is best at the 3 & 4. However, Williams is a better passer/distributer and is more active all over the court. Basically, she's a wildcard on offense and a disruptive defender on defense. Similar in some respects but different in others. When playing on the floor together, I go either 2 and 3 or 3 and 4.

J. Canada vs L. Brown Canada is strictly a PG whereas Brown can play PG & 2G. Depends on what the team wants, has in stock and how it plays.

M. Russell vs M. Billings Russell is strictly a Center whereas Billings is too thin/light to be a Center but in pinch could fill in. I don't believe Billings is anywhere near her 6'4" listed height. Make her a PF.

V. Vivians vs K. Nurse Vivians is a 3 stretch 4 and Nurse is a 2 stretch 3. Nurse is a better defender and Vivians can get her own shot.

A. Atkins vs T. Scaife Pass on these two.

J. Nared vs S. Thomas Nared is 6'2", long and a better free throw shooter and 3 baller. I believe she is the more versatile too. Thomas is muscle, strictly a 3, can jump and rebound when she wants to. She's like a little tank at 5'11".

S. Mavunga vs M. Gulich Mavunga 6'2" and Gulich is 6'5", strong and more suited for the Center position than Mavunga. Both could be PF's.

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 03/22/18 1:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

RavenDog wrote:
J. Canada vs L. Brown Canada is strictly a PG whereas Brown can play PG & 2G. Depends on what the team wants, has in stock and how it plays.

Brown is better as a secondary playmaker/facilitator than a true point guard. She is best playing alongside a point guard or another combo guard like she is.

A fair comparison for Brown is Alexis Jones.

Shades

PostPosted: 03/22/18 1:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

http://www.columbiatribune.com/sports/20180321/after-ncaa-loss-tigers-look-forward-to-getting-back-to-work

Quote:
PRO CAREER NEXT FOR FRERICKS?: If WNBA teams aren’t aware of Jordan Frericks, it’s not because Pingeton and her program didn’t try to put her name out there.

“We have sent things out all year long to the WNBA teams trying to create awareness for her,” Pingeton said.

Opportunities in the WNBA are scarce: the league has 12 teams, each with 12 roster spots. This year’s draft, which takes place April 12, will have three rounds and 3*12 total selections.

If Frericks isn’t selected in the draft, there are plenty of other options.

“I have no doubt there will be many opportunities for her to play overseas,” Pingeton said. “She’s going to be playing at a combine at the Final Four where there will be WNBA scouts and international scouts. We need to figure out who she is going to go with as an agent over the next couple weeks. That’s that next step in the process.”

Shades

PostPosted: 03/22/18 7:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Jill Barta leaves Gonzaga a year early

https://amp.greatfallstribune.com/amp/451227002

Quote:
Barta, a 6-foot-3 forward, this season was named the MVP of the West Coast Conference. She is a three-time all-conference selection who has scored more than 1,600 points in a brilliant college career.

Quote:
She said professional basketball remains a possibility in the near future. But if not she’s looking forward to starting a new career as a special education teacher.

toad455

PostPosted: 03/22/18 8:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Curious where Barta could land? Early second round?

Michelle89

PostPosted: 03/23/18 7:29 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sigur3 wrote:
I don't think Vadeeva to Indy at 8 is unrealistic at all. She actually has a very strong connection to the coaching staff...

Anchonwa and her have a pretty similar game so i wonder how thats going to go.

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
stever

PostPosted: 03/23/18 8:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
Nurse a more complete player since UConn's last trip to Albany

https://www.timesunion.com/sports/article/Nurse-a-more-complete-player-since-UConn-s-last-12768765.php

toad455

PostPosted: 03/23/18 9:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Gulich now a possible first round draftee? Phoenix at #12?

hangtyme24

PostPosted: 03/23/18 10:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think the better matchups in the post are M. Russell vs. M. Gülich and S. Mavunga vs. M. Billings. In both I’d take the latter but my picks are in bold below. I like Billings at the 4 in the W. Gülich and that fadeaway is working her way up the draft boards as well

G. Williams vs D. Deshields- Before the January trade I though DD had a shot at going #2

J. Canada vs L. Brown- Really depends on the team picking. Canada was nice in the second half vs Texas. She’s a real pg. Can’t wait to see what Brown does against UCONN. It’ll be interesting to see what Seattle does with their pick.

M. Russell vs M. Billings- I like Billings at the 4. I think she’s really like 6’1/6’2 but she’s physical and plays bigger. The opposite of Russell

V. Vivians vs K. Nurse- Two different positions and types of players. I think Vivians will primarily play the 3 and some mins at the 2. Nurse can play 1-3, but I think she’ll mostly play 2/3 at the next level. I think both have high ceilings, but Nurse is the ‘safer’ pick. IMO

A. Atkins vs T. Scaife- I see Atkins going 13-16.

J. Nared vs S. Thomas- I still like Nared in LA despite her slump to finish the season.

S. Mavunga vs M. Gulich- pre-tourney I would’ve said Mavunga. Now idk lol.

PostPosted: 03/24/18 12:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The Buffalo PG getting emotional as her college career comes to an end.

I kinda like her game, but she's probably too small for the WNBA.

She's Aussie, so could Brondello give her a camp invite?

Shades

PostPosted: 03/24/18 2:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Seven steals in each of her last two games.

calbearman76

PostPosted: 03/24/18 3:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Deshields is more athletic and has a better upside. Williams is more of a question mark based solely on what position she can play. Deshields first.

J. Canada vs L. Brown
Brown has the body, Canada has the speed. I think Brown translates a little better.

Russell continues to look lackadaisical. Billings plays in spurts and will probably have to play away from the basket more in the WNBA, but she looks like the better player.

V. Vivians vs K. Nurse
Nurse has improved her outside shot to the point that she could become an all-star. Vivians is also very good, but I prefer the UConn pedigree.

A. Atkins vs T. Scaife
I'm not that high on either one, but lean to Scaife.

J. Nared vs S. Thomas
Thomas looks to me like the very good college player that is a tweener who doesn't translate to the pros.

S. Mavunga vs M. Gulich
Gulich is the best center in college right now. Her last month has been outstanding. I believe she could wind up going ahead of Russell and Billings

Rock Hard

PostPosted: 03/25/18 12:49 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I am now a believer. M. Billings is not six feet four inches tall. I know there has been a long discussion on this topic about her height but I never got involved in the discussion because I do not watch the PAC- 12 that much. I did watch the UCLA vs Texas game. I saw Billings guarding Holmes and she is at least a full inch or more shorter than Holmes. Shocked
Will any team risk drafting her in the first round since she is truly an undersized post player.

PostPosted: 03/25/18 5:14 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rock Hard wrote:
I am now a believer. M. Billings is not six feet four inches tall.

Does it really matter ?

Ogwumike,GJ,Charles,Brunson,A.Thomas,Dupree are all in the 6'1-6'3 range.Billings is about 6'3 with elite level athletic ability and guard speed.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 66, 67, 68 ... 91, 92, 93  Next
Page 67 of 93

Jump to: