RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

2018 WNBA Mock Draft
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 54, 55, 56 ... 91, 92, 93  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pilight

PostPosted: 02/15/18 2:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

#Occasionalwnbafan wrote:
other then Liz and Ann how many foreign players get drafted and miss a bunch of seasons? Maybe Vadeeva is looking forward to playing in the WNBA and will show up often, I would take her over Kia in a heartbeat.

WNBA teams have mostly stopped taking non-Aussie foreigners at the top of the draft. Last year the highest drafted one was Lisa Berkani, who never came over. In 2016 it was Julie Allemand, who never came over. In 2015 it was Žofia Hruščáková, who never came over. In 2014 it was Astou Ndour, who has played every other season. In 2013 it was Emma Meesseman, winner! Of course Diandra Tchatchouang was taken with the very next pick and has not come over. In 2012 it was Astan Dabo, who never came over. In 2011 it was Sara Krnjić, who never came over. In 2010 it was Tijana Krivačević, who never came over. In 2009 it was Jelena Milovanović, who never came over. In 2008 none were drafted. That's 10 years of drafts and the batting average for just getting them to show up is .150.

PostPosted: 02/15/18 2:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
other then Liz and Ann how many foreign players get drafted and miss a bunch of seasons? Maybe Vadeeva is looking forward to playing in the WNBA and will show up often, I would take her over Kia in a heartbeat.

WNBA teams have mostly stopped taking non-Aussie foreigners at the top of the draft. Last year the highest drafted one was Lisa Berkani, who never came over. In 2016 it was Julie Allemand, who never came over. In 2015 it was Žofia Hruščáková, who never came over. In 2014 it was Astou Ndour, who has played every other season. In 2013 it was Emma Meesseman, winner! Of course Diandra Tchatchouang was taken with the very next pick and has not come over. In 2012 it was Astan Dabo, who never came over. In 2011 it was Sara Krnjić, who never came over. In 2010 it was Tijana Krivačević, who never came over. In 2009 it was Jelena Milovanović, who never came over. In 2008 none were drafted. That's 10 years of drafts and the batting average for just getting them to show up is .150.

How many of the players listed were not only taken in the 1st round, or even talked about as lottery picks?
pilight

PostPosted: 02/15/18 3:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:

How many of the players listed were not only taken in the 1st round, or even talked about as lottery picks?

Astan Dabo was the only one taken in the first round, because WNBA teams learned from earlier drafts that such players cannot be relied on. What makes anyone think Vadeeva is any more likely to come over than all the rest of the no-show Eastern Europeans we've seen?

PostPosted: 02/15/18 3:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nixtreefan wrote:
BS she got more calls than any player in the PAC. Of course you are a homer, I am not defending Stanford I am talking about the whole PAC Laughing Plus when she didn't get a call she acted like a diva and threw elbows and Neighbors whined like a B....tch and apparently a lot more according to the fans of opposing teams as demonstrated by some posters on here. How'd she do down the stretch there in the NCAA.... oh thats right Osahor and Walton were carrying the team.

Oh, I totally agree about Osahor and Walton. Osahor, after all, was the MVP of the region. Very Happy

I know you were just taking the opportunity to call BS on the foul calls she did receive, but the fact is that free throws had nothing to do with her increase in scoring average. She actually attempted (slightly) fewer free throws per game her senior year compared to her junior year. So she increased her average by 6 points without attempting more shots, field goals or free throws.

Also, there was that time when the refs deemed this as a legal defensive maneuver by Samuelson. The ensuing contact, when Plum pulled her arm free, was a violation by Plum. Razz

(Dean Rutz/Seattle Times)

Anyway...Mitchell has increased her scoring average a couple of points. Her shooting percentages, rebounding, and assists are all slightly up from last season. She will also likely benefit from coming out of a stronger draft class and not having the same kind of expectations. So much, of course, will still depend on which team and coach she lands with, like most rookies.

myrtle

PostPosted: 02/15/18 4:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

well that's clearly Plum's fault. Why'd she get her arm in there into Karlie's space. Wink

- Amanda Gorman
root_thing

PostPosted: 02/15/18 5:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bcdawg04 wrote:
The ensuing contact, when Plum pulled her arm free, was a violation by Plum. Razz

I think the violation was for licking an opponent's elbow.

PostPosted: 02/15/18 10:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
bcdawg04 wrote:
The ensuing contact, when Plum pulled her arm free, was a violation by Plum. Razz

I think the violation was for licking an opponent's elbow.

#pac12afterdark?

(now with spelling variations)
bballjunkie

PostPosted: 02/15/18 10:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Even though she got bogus calls in college, they certainly haven’t allowed them in the WNBA.

tfan

PostPosted: 02/15/18 11:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
pilight wrote:
Dee Brown coached in the W, so he should have some idea what it takes to make it.

Two years at two different teams, I’m guessing with little success. Not much of a resume to support your assertion.

What does coaching success (in only two years with two different teams) have to do with judging whether someone has WNBA level talent?

fanaticka

PostPosted: 02/16/18 3:07 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
pilight wrote:

Astan Dabo was the only one taken in the first round, because WNBA teams learned from earlier drafts that such players cannot be relied on. What makes anyone think Vadeeva is any more likely to come over than all the rest of the no-show Eastern Europeans we've seen?

In 2009, Jelena Milovanovič was drafted 24th and played for the Mystics in 2014, Sonja Petrovič was drafted 26th and played for Phoenix and Chicago in 2012 and 2016. Of course Alba Torrens was drafted that year as well (but 36th!) and never showed up. But these are late picks, not first round.

Yes, euros do not show up very often or they decide to come for a year or two later in their careers but I think you need to consider that they are 19 or 20 when they are drafted. That's a big difference from US players.
I would only consider taking a European player in the first round in a very weak draft. Or she would have to be a superstar. I can't really think of anyone like that in past ten years. And still wouldn't use a lottery pick on her. Even though I think Vadeeva might be interested to play in WNBA more regularly, I do not think she would be a better choice than any US post player who is considered to go in first round.

(edit: typos)

Ay Mate

PostPosted: 02/16/18 9:10 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Whoever drafts the highly overrated Mercedes Russell are going to waste their draft pick. Total bust in the WNBA. Such a lazy lackluster player. Always has been.

Shades

PostPosted: 02/16/18 1:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This is about a junior so don’t get too excited about her this year. There’s a WNBA mention in the article.

Carmen Grande: Ball State's new all-time assist leader

http://www.ballstatedaily.com/article/2018/02/sports-carmen-grande-breaks-ball-state-womens-basketballs-all-time-assists-record

Quote:
Some just see the flashy point guard, second in the NCAA in assists per game with 9.5 on the now 20-4 Cardinals team, but Ball State women’s head basketball coach Brady Sallee knows that she's so much more than that.

“You’re talking about a kid that single-handedly has changed our approach to offense,” said Sallee. “You hear coaches all the time talk about players that can make other players better. She does that.”

Quote:
If all this wasn't enough, she is getting attention from multiple professional coaches. Sallee said it is an eye-opening experience when WNBA coaches call to talk about how good Grande is.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
PickledGinger

PostPosted: 02/16/18 3:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Keep in mind Grande is a Junior. That being said there aren't many good Point Guard prospects in that class; if she has a Vandersloot-esque Senior year, she could end up proving herself the best of the bunch. They sure do teach 'em how to pass over there in Spain!

5thmantheme

PostPosted: 02/16/18 4:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bcdawg04's pic above of Kelsey Plum

... how does she still have a tongue , after that hit ?!

myrtle

PostPosted: 02/17/18 1:29 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Marie Gulich with a huge game against Billings....

- Amanda Gorman
Shades

PostPosted: 02/17/18 2:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Tyra Buss scores 37 pts on her Senior Day

Shades

PostPosted: 02/18/18 4:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Come on out, Sophie Cunningham!

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.espn.com/core/video/iframe?id=22493763&endcard=false" allowfullscreen frameborder="0"></iframe>

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.espn.com/core/video/iframe?id=22494158&endcard=false" allowfullscreen frameborder="0"></iframe>

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.espn.com/core/video/iframe?id=22494295&endcard=false" allowfullscreen frameborder="0"></iframe>

myrtle

PostPosted: 02/18/18 11:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

At this point I don't see any true bigs in the first round except Wilson. Otherwise the teams might as well wait til the 2nd round to roll the dice. None of them are sure things.

- Amanda Gorman
Shades

PostPosted: 02/19/18 12:04 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I’m really liking Jespersen as an under the radar 6’3 SF.
Probably 6’2 actual and might be able to use her in the post on occasion.
Unfortunately, there’s a decent crop of SF in this draft but my team really doesn’t need one.

root_thing

PostPosted: 02/19/18 2:11 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Maria Jespersen is neither 6-3 nor an SF. She's listed at 6-0 and plays PF, which explains why she's under the radar. I seem to remember her even backing up at center early in her career. Now, can Jesperson convert to SF? She does have some range on her shot, but defense would be a challenge and probably ballhandling would be too.

PostPosted: 02/19/18 10:34 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Any W experts think Tanaya Atkinson of Temple has a shot at getting a look from a team? She really is a good player.

Last edited by ucbart on 02/19/18 10:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
toad455

PostPosted: 02/19/18 10:36 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
At this point I don't see any true bigs in the first round except Wilson. Otherwise the teams might as well wait til the 2nd round to roll the dice. None of them are sure things.

Russell is definitely a first rounder. Then there's Vadeeva, who is the big wrench in this year's draft.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
myrtle

PostPosted: 02/19/18 12:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
myrtle wrote:

Russell is definitely a first rounder. Then there's Vadeeva, who is the big wrench in this year's draft.

yeah, I know nothing about Vadeeva other than what has been written here. Russell IMO is very late first rounder at best. She's big, but that's about all...

- Amanda Gorman
TotalCardinalMove

PostPosted: 02/19/18 12:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
toad455 wrote:
myrtle wrote:

yeah, I know nothing about Vadeeva other than what has been written here. Russell IMO is very late first rounder at best. She's big, but that's about all...

I agree with the comment you left in the USC/Oregon St. game thread. I think Gulich is better than Russell as well. Even though that might not be saying much.

root_thing

PostPosted: 02/19/18 12:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
toad455 wrote:
myrtle wrote:

As always, the draft is relative. While there may not be any posts other than Wilson who look that exciting, can you think of 11 perimeter players who are "sure things"? This draft just isn't as good as most of us thought it would be. Except for Vivians, and maybe Nurse, no one has clearly stepped up while quite a few players have declined from their previous season.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 54, 55, 56 ... 91, 92, 93  Next
Page 55 of 93

Jump to: