RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Amy Tucker....
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Howee

PostPosted: 04/13/17 6:07 pm    ::: Amy Tucker.... Reply Reply with quote

....is retiring. Looong, illustrious career.

Stanford peeps, isn't it generally regarded that she and Tara are partners/spouses? I think (if that's the case) it's a tiny bit sad that it can't be mentioned in a news article of such import. After all, not a lot of spouses could work so well together for all those years.

PostPosted: 04/13/17 9:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Been with Tara in a basketball relationship since 1980. Must be nice to live in the Golden State and retire at 56.

So who replaces her? A Stanford alum?

Nicole Powell
Candice Wiggins
Ros Gold-O
Susan King
Jen Azzi
snzuluz

PostPosted: 04/14/17 8:47 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

She is not retiring as the article says...she is working in an administrative role instead of not on the bench...I am sure she draws a salary for this postion.

newkid

PostPosted: 04/14/17 9:28 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
Been with Tara in a basketball relationship since 1980. Must be nice to live in the Golden State and retire at 56.

So who replaces her? A Stanford alum?

Nicole Powell - just took head coaching job at Grand Canyon U
Candice Wiggins - doubtful,I think; no coaching experience
Ros Gold-O - I think she's cast her lot in broadcasting
Susan King - she's a strength and conditioning coach; don't know about transitioning to an assistant
Jen Azzi - maybe, but I think she's wanting a less demanding job what with the new baby

A possibility: Lindy LaRocque. She's currently an assistant at Belmont.

Several articles have mentioned that this will give Amy the opportunity to travel more, and one specifically mentioned traveling back to Ohio more often. Makes me wonder if there is a family reason partly driving this, like being more available to aging parents or something. Or she could just be tired of the grind.

Queenie

PostPosted: 04/14/17 9:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I... do not think Candice Wiggins would be welcome on the Stanford bench without some serious verbal backspacing.

(now with spelling variations)
Nixtreefan

PostPosted: 04/14/17 10:01 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Venessa Nygard. And why assume that Tara and Amy are together Rolling Eyes

basketballologist

PostPosted: 04/14/17 10:02 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Other in house notables:
Nneka Ogwumike
Chiney Ogwumike
Kate Starbird
Jayne Appel
Kayla Pedersen
Katy Steding
Brooke Smith
Lindsey Yamasaki
Jeanette Pohlen-Mavunga
Sonja Henning
Christy Hedgpeth
Kelly Suminski
Vanessa Nygaard
Jillian Harmon
Joslyn Tinkle
Mollie Goodenbour
Bethany Donaphin

Howee

PostPosted: 04/14/17 11:22 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nixtreefan wrote:
Venessa Nygard. And why assume that Tara and Amy are together Rolling Eyes

Maybe cuz they LIVE together? Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: 04/14/17 12:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

You ever heard of roommates Rolling Eyes

snzuluz

PostPosted: 04/14/17 12:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Roommates are what you have in college and first getting out of school when finances might be tight...

Older women who make VERY good money like Tara and Tucker are not simply roommates!

summertime blues

PostPosted: 04/14/17 1:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Jayne Appel Marinelli is looking to pursue a job in sports business. Her husband Chris is based in NYC and she might prefer to stay there.

PostPosted: 04/14/17 1:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So does this mean Kate Paye moves into Tucker's old job. What will the new assistant do? Recruiting is not the same at Stanford as it would be at Cal or LBSU. If everyone gets moved up and it's the lowest assistant, even though it's Stanford, is it really that desirable for someone already with that kind of a position.

And I think it's a bit depressing that we still have to refer to partners as "roommates". Didn't it used to be "long term companion?" This Washington Post article is almost 15 years old, but it still cuts deeply and informs this thread a bit. TVD is extensively featured in this article on negative recruiting.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/archive/sports/2003/01/24/going-behind-the-back/563ddb20-4133-4c7f-b927-4c48568a1c77/?utm_term=.a48baee43a6b.

StevenHW

PostPosted: 04/14/17 1:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LitePal wrote:
So does this mean Kate Paye moves into Tucker's old job. What will the new assistant do? Recruiting is not the same at Stanford as it would be at Cal or LBSU. If everyone gets moved up and it's the lowest assistant, even though it's Stanford, is it really that desirable for someone already with that kind of a position.

And I think it's a bit depressing that we still have to refer to partners as "roommates". Didn't it used to be "long term companion?" This Washington Post article is almost 15 years old, but it still cuts deeply and informs this thread a bit. TVD is extensively featured in this article on negative recruiting.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/archive/sports/2003/01/24/going-behind-the-back/563ddb20-4133-4c7f-b927-4c48568a1c77/?utm_term=.a48baee43a6b.

Very interesting article. Thanks for sharing, LitePal.

FWIW, the Stanford player in that article (Chelsea Trotter) later went to the law school at Pepperdine, and is now a successful attorney.

https://www.linkedin.com/in/chelsea-trotter-1493962a

http://aalrr.com/attorneys/chelsea_n._trotter

PostPosted: 04/14/17 1:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Again, some making assumptions based on what. I don't think either of them would have a problem saying who they have in their lives that are their significant others. Nobody knows what, when etcs, so why are some making assumptions. And NO anyone can have a roommate, cheaper living conditions for example and not be in a relationship. The fact that some think they know their personal details is whack.

Carol Anne

PostPosted: 04/14/17 2:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nixtreefan wrote:
Again, some making assumptions based on what. I don't think either of them would have a problem saying who they have in their lives that are their significant others. Nobody knows what, when etcs, so why are some making assumptions. And NO anyone can have a roommate, cheaper living conditions for example and not be in a relationship. The fact that some think they know their personal details is whack.

Tara's 63 (Amy is 56, by the way). She's entitled to her privacy.

myrtle

PostPosted: 04/14/17 4:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If someone wants to 'come out' they will. If they don't, that's their business. And really it's nobody else's bizness what someone else does behind closed doors.

It will be interesting to see what happens with the program...and how long Tara will keep at it. If this was an easing out or simply a need for Amy to have a change. Tara may want to have another assistant set up before she retires. There were rumors this year (about retirement), and I guess when you get to a certain age, there will continue to be rumors. I'm hoping for several more years, but as we all know, change is inevitable.

- Amanda Gorman

Last edited by myrtle on 04/14/17 6:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
summertime blues

PostPosted: 04/14/17 6:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Does it really matter, after all? These people are grownups, FFS. Leave them alone and stop speculating. They are what they are and it's their business.

PostPosted: 04/14/17 7:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

snzuluz wrote:
Roommates are what you have in college and first getting out of school when finances might be tight...
Older women who make VERY good money like Tara and Tucker are not simply roommates!

Precisely....and yet, the stupidity of reverse bias persists, even HERE

LitePal wrote:
My point exactly.
Nixtreefan wrote:
And NO anyone can have a roommate, cheaper living conditions for example and not be in a relationship.
(especially when they're millionaires, mmHmm. Rolling Eyes
Nixtreefan wrote:
The fact that some think they know their personal details is whack.

The only thing here that is *whack* are your ridiculous notions, Nixy.
myrtle wrote:
If someone wants to 'come out' they will. If they don't, that's their business. And really it's nobody else's bizness what someone else does behind closed doors.

Despite your well-intended laissez faire attitude, Myrtle, it not about 'coming out': there's none of that needed. It's about honoring what IS.
summertime blues wrote:
Does it really matter, after all? These people are grownups, FFS. Leave them alone and stop speculating. They are what they are and it's their business.

This is not "speculating". It's simple fact. And nobody's criticizing what they "are".

Look at it this way: Jen Rizotti and her husband, Bill Sullivan coach together at George Washington. Relatively new there, but....what if, 30 years down they road, they're STILL coaching together, and are hugely successful, with NCs to their credit, etc., etc.....and Bill 'retires'. Ya think the media wouldn't casually mention their husband/wife dynamic? That's not only a rarity, it's a special thing.

And maybe the Ol' Girls simply remain phobic about ANY association with the *L* word, but anymore? Fuck that. Represent, Ladies. Represent with pride.

PostPosted: 04/15/17 1:18 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The article mentioned that Amy Tucker was essential to Stanford's recruiting, which plays a huge part of their success. Finding another coach with that kind of specialized skill is not easy to find.

With that in mind, it would be helpful to get an alum, but who? Jen Azzi said that she no longer wants to coach in college. Ros Gold-Onwude is settled on broadcasting. Nicole Powell was just hired for her first head coaching somewhere else. Goodenbour is doing well at USF. Vanessa Nygaard is an interesting possibility, and her high school team that she has coached (Windward in LA) just won a state championship.

My hunch says Nygaard. Or they could shift the recruiting tasks to Kate Paye.

PostPosted: 04/15/17 1:28 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think Kate has been very involved on the recruiting side already so am guessing she will take a bigger role there. And the new position may come from further afield than we think.

- Amanda Gorman
tfan

PostPosted: 04/15/17 2:25 am    ::: Re: Amy Tucker.... Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
....is retiring. Looong, illustrious career.

Stanford peeps, isn't it generally regarded that she and Tara are partners/spouses? I think (if that's the case) it's a tiny bit sad that it can't be mentioned in a news article of such import. After all, not a lot of spouses could work so well together for all those years.

Stanford. Bay Area. California. Seems like a location where coming out would have positive, not negative consequences. But then again, the players (and their parents) coming to Stanford are from other parts of the country.

ClayK

PostPosted: 04/15/17 9:45 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It could be that Tucker's retirement allowed Kate Paye to get more money/status and thus keep Paye from taking the USC job.

Or not.

PostPosted: 04/15/17 1:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Amy and Tara left Ohio State when Andy Geiger hired them. One of the benefits was the lifestyle on the west coast. My guess is that they don't "need "to make an announcement.

Howee

PostPosted: 04/15/17 6:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bucks4now wrote:
Amy and Tara left Ohio State when Andy Geiger hired them. One of the benefits was the lifestyle on the west coast. My guess is that they don't "need "to make an announcement.

Right. No 'announcements' needed. But no need to hide something so special, either. None of it's mishandled or "bad", just....could be better in modeling for the next generation, imo.

PostPosted: 04/15/17 7:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
bucks4now wrote:

Right. No 'announcements' needed. But no need to hide something so special, either. None of it's mishandled or "bad", just....could be better in modeling for the next generation, imo.

"I don't care who you sleep with as long as it's not me" is my motto in life. If more people felt this way, there would be less problems.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: